Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel thread 2018 - reports, queries and chat

Options
  • 03-04-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me what time of the year do the mackerel arrive to our shores. Il be fishing around west clare. I need to taste a freshly caught mackerel on my lips. Thanks.

MOD. That time of the year again so existing threads merged and all fishy talk regarding mackerel in this thread place. Happy mackerel bashing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me what time of the year do the mackerel arrive to our shores. Il be fishing around west clare. I need to taste a freshly caught mackerel on my lips. Thanks.

They are usually here around the start of may, Castle Point/Dunlickey is one of the earliest spots in Clare for them but barring that you have a suicide wish I wouldnt go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

They are usually here around the start of may, Castle Point/Dunlickey is one of the earliest spots in Clare for them but barring that you have a suicide wish I wouldnt go near it.

I dont really have a head for heights, I went down to Dunlickey a few years back and it scared the living day lights out of me, Not only that my gutt didnt even reach the sea.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

If you don't have a head for heights then fishing off the rocks in west Clare is prob not for you! Wait til they are in and get someone to take you out in a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mackyboy1

Hi,
    It shouldn't be too long now, because I was fishing on a boat from Sligo at the weekend. We caught a lot of Mackerel, we caught coal fish, pollock up to 8lb and would you believe it, herring (about 20 of them). We weren't fishing that far from the shore. So maybe it will be sooner than you think, fingers crossed.

MB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭lewishamilton

excellent stuff any been caught in spiddal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Brian.D

Mackyboy1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    It shouldn't be too long now, because I was fishing on a boat from Sligo at the weekend. We caught a lot of Mackerel, we caught coal fish, pollock up to 8lb and would you believe it, herring (about 20 of them). We weren't fishing that far from the shore. So maybe it will be sooner than you think, fingers crossed.

MB
    Sound like a great session, what part of Sligo were ye fishing from

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Been out in Quilty, Doolin and Fanore to NO success

haybob wrote: »
    Been out in Quilty, Doolin and Fanore to NO success

There was full strings landed in black head yesterday I heard, I couldnt face the crowd there so took a quieter path in search of a few pollock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mackyboy1

Brian.D wrote: »
    Sound like a great session, what part of Sligo were ye fishing from

Mullaghmore, and yes it was a great session, a friend of mine has a small boat that can fit only 4 people it's just perfect for that sort of fishing, but i will say, i went there 2 weeks before, and caught very little.
    I also heard a trip from Galway went out in the bay there and had a great catch. It looks like to me if you can get out on a boat your will catch anywhere.
    or just wait a few weeks and maybe the mackerel will be in.

MB

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

There was full strings landed in black head yesterday I heard, I couldnt face the crowd there so took a quieter path in search of a few pollock.

I will try again during the week but had silver rigs, cloured feathers, black feathers and few other things but nothing

• Advertisement

any macs down the docs yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

any macs down the docs yet

Which docks?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Plenty of nacs down the doc's alright.

Which docks?

Galway docs

Bump!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Bump!!

Did you get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Some mackerel being reported from around fenit pier.... :D

i will be going out to spiddal on wednesday,i will report back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

mackerl caught at malin pier around 30 landed this evening

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Been fishing a lot at Derrybeg off the rocks. No mackerel there yet. Steady stream of coalfish and pollack though - I've been grilling the evening's catch most nights :)

• Advertisement

i caught 6 mackerel yesterday in Galway Harbour and fairly big aswell ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

i caught 6 mackerel yesterday in Galway Harbour and fairly big aswell ;);)

Haven't seen the usual hoards along the prom yet but were there many fish about?

Did you head out Spiddal way as love the fishing out there.

Caribs wrote: »
    Haven't seen the usual hoards along the prom yet but were there many fish about?

Did you head out Spiddal way as love the fishing out there.

there's a few there alrite and big aswell,not many fishing but that's good for the space,haven't been out in spiddal yet but ya are guaranteed better fishing there

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ozzie3032

there's a few there alrite and big aswell,not many fishing but that's good for the space,haven't been out in spiddal yet but ya are guaranteed better fishing there

Hi i know im a bit away from you but was out on the kayak in Tramore (cty Waterford) on weds evening caught 4 mackerel and 22 pollock, took a couple of nice pollock and released the rest.
    Going out near dungarvan on sunday coming will report back if anything caught

HAPPY FISHING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

late august/September is the best month for it i caught over 100 in an hour at salthill a couple of years back the local lads would tell ya the same best fished on a high tide with a full moon and fish an hour before dark that,s all the advice i can give ya so get a tide time table and start planning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

for the past two years august seems to be the best month for macks were we fished,quilty

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ozzie3032

Just a message to ALL anglers fishing for mackarel .

Only take what mackarel your going to eat, who needs 70 80 they are nice but come on who can eat and enjoy that many fish ??

MOST IMPORTANTLY

When you catch a mackarel and decide ah its too small are you dont want it (NEVER TOUCH THE MACKAREL WITH YOUR HANDS) :eek:

The enzimes/oil on our skin damages the fishes skin, it will swim off and look normal but the fishes skin continues to break down and it will die within 24-48hrs after being released.:mad:

Either hold the hook and shake the mackarel off the feather or take a towel with you WET THE TOWEL and hold the mackarel in the WET towel this way the fish will survive when released :D

ozzie3032 wrote: »

Only take what mackarel your going to eat, who needs 70 80 they are nice but come on who can eat and enjoy that many fish ??

MOST IMPORTANTLY

When you catch a mackarel and decide ah its too small are you dont want it (NEVER TOUCH THE MACKAREL WITH YOUR HANDS) :eek:

The enzimes/oil on our skin damages the fishes skin, it will swim off and look normal but the fishes skin continues to break down and it will die within 24-48hrs after being released.:mad:

Either hold the hook and shake the mackarel off the feather or take a towel with you WET THE TOWEL and hold the mackarel in the WET towel this way the fish will survive when released :D

I put about 200 into the freezer last year and used them all for bait, better than the frozen muck you buy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

ozzie3032 wrote: »

Only take what mackarel your going to eat, who needs 70 80 they are nice but come on who can eat and enjoy that many fish ?

i ate about ten of them and i gave the rest to some friends and neighbours and they were very grateful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

madchild wrote: »
    i ate about ten of them and i gave the rest to some friends and neighbours and they were very grateful

Totally agree. What I don't eat (and I hardly ever eat any) go to very grateful family and friends. It is also great to stock the freezer with bait.

Advertisement