Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel thread 2018 - reports, queries and chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

4 decent mackerel caught just now in a small put just 100yds off shore from Roches Point in the mouth of Cork Harbour
    Few Pollock also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I gave up on Clogherhead because the seals have become an absolute pest. They take your catch and gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Got 4 more today (similar size to before) with 2 rods, lost a couple as well. They're certainly here. Not teeming with them but I was happy with the day's effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

No mack's, Dún Laoghaire today. Talking to a lad out there was saying his mates were out off Dalkey in the boat, not a thing caught there also.

Brought some rag and peeler left over from yesterday, as a backup, Small red crab, tiny Gurnard and a 3 oz weight :D caught on first 3 casts, then naught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Atourdeforce1

Hi all,

Went fishing this evening at the pier (the boulder side) and caught 3 average sized mackerel and 7 pollock in the space of 2 hours as the tide came in. The pollock were small and caught close into the rocks. Lost 2 rigs in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Went to Black head yesterday evening, caught 5 macks in about 2 hours, not many other being caught either. Season is only starting i suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Question, with the SST (Sea Surface Temperatures) well above normal, +3c on south coast, would that encourage the Mackerel a little earlier this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Out today on a boat from Malahide very little Mackeral still don't seem to be in ,in numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Atourdeforce1

Was in dalkey yesterday on the boat. Caught nothing for first 2 hours, then within 5 mins caught 15 mackerel and then nothing for the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Williamjg

Anyone catch any around Galway yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Marcmc

Williamjg wrote: »
    Anyone catch any around Galway yet

Was in West clare on Tuesday not one caught. Was talking with locals and they said the same nothin to be caught

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Was down on beara last week and we got loads of mackerel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Caught 4 last week off wicklow pier. Was there a few hours and was on virtually my last cast as wasnt long before it got dark, all 4 on the same cast. 3 good size, one small.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Villain wrote: »

A freak wave must have caused them to strand?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Could have been driven to shore by dolphins or other predators

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

They were just in a feeding frenzy,.. Got confused I expect...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

cd07 wrote: »
    Could have been driven to shore by dolphins or other predators

It's possible but I would doubt that's the explanation.

Fish have an inbuilt instinct to stay in water.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

It's possible but I would doubt that's the explanation.

Fish have an inbuilt instinct to stay in water.

Try tell that to my Koi who jumped out of the pond and *aired to death on many occasions untill I put a mesh sheet over it.

* What's the opposite of drowned?

Try tell that to my Koi who jumped out of the pond and *aired to death on many occasions untill I put a mesh sheet over it.

I have kept Koi myself for years and never experienced or heard of that happening.

Did they survive under the mesh?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I have kept Koi myself for years and never experienced or heard of that happening.

Did they survive under the mesh?

Of course they survived? It's like chicken wire the holes in it are about an inch big. I was blaming birds or cats for ages untill I seen one jump out, they can jump a fair height

Of course they survived? It's like chicken wire the holes in it are about an inch big. I was blaming birds or cats for ages untill I seen one jump out, they can jump a fair height

Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I'd say suffocated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

There's no answer!?
    it's like asking: what's the opposite of crying?..
    is it laughing or sucking tears in through your eyes?????

Anyway lots of catches all along the east coast you'll all be glad to hear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Anyway lots of catches all along the east coast you'll all be glad to hear :)[/quote]

I heard it’s the same on south coast around Helvick. I’m going to try the west coast this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Anyway lots of catches all along the east coast you'll all be glad to hear :)

I heard it’s the same on south coast around Helvick. I’m going to try the west coast this weekend[/QUOTE]

I was in Helvick one night last week and as soon as the sun went behind the hill I started catching them, and it was over 3 hours after high water. I didn't get out this week due to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Padgehunting

Loads cought last night south ease coast

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Loads cought last night south ease coast

Offshore or any particular area?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Good numbers taken yesterday evening in Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Padgehunting

vicwatson wrote: »
    Offshore or any particular area?

Tramore good few lads fishing ter

Advertisement