Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel thread 2018 - reports, queries and chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Totally agree. What I don't eat (and I hardly ever eat any) go to very grateful family and friends. It is also great to stock the freezer with bait.

This is it every man to his own i,m absolutely sick to the teeth of people pushin their opinions and views on other people and makin out that if ya kill a few fish your some sort of master criminal ffs:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

madchild wrote: »
    This is it every man to his own i,m absolutely sick to the teeth of people pushin their opinions and views on other people and makin out that if ya kill a few fish your some sort of master criminal ffs:rolleyes:
    Maybe I'm wrong, but thats not what I read into the post. I understood the poster was talking about wasting fish and killing fish unnecessarily.
    I've seen people over the years bagging up to 100 macks and more and then finding that there was as many people giving away fish as there was fish!
    But maybe I'm wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Any sign of mackerel on the west coast lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

madchild wrote: »
    Any sign of mackerel on the west coast lads?

Have had a few sporadically but not many to be honest. They are no sure thing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

I was out last Saturday on the Kiwi Girl (boat) for two hours and caught quite a few mackerel and some Pollack on feathers. I'm always surprised by how tasty fresh mackerel are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

domcq wrote: »
    I was out last Saturday on the Kiwi Girl (boat) for two hours and caught quite a few mackerel and some Pollack on feathers. I'm always surprised by how tasty fresh mackerel are.

Macks been caught off fenit peir near Tralee everyday... Today small tope were been caught from the peir... Also undulates being caught...

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

6 of us fished from a boat in Dingle Bay yesterday for 6 hours and in total caught one mackerel in total (plenty of pollack, ling, coalie, one gurnard, a few cod, pouting, wrasse, octopus also)

"Dolphin Soup" was mentioned to me by a whale watcher over the past few days in the bay so they may have chased away or gobbled down any around the Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hugof1234

are the mackerel in yet around Sligo and if so where are they being caught

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Too early and been too cold so far. Possibly be June, depending on the intervening weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Late august/September is best. They arriving later and in less numbers year on year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

The Pollock are taking bass lures in Clare at the moment....

Probably a few obscure macs following them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭malinheader

Just chatting to a local man today.Told me he had a good few decent mackerel down at mount Charles pier in Donegal on Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Its a wonder how any mackeral get through, all them trawlers raping our seas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Its a wonder how any mackeral get through, all them trawlers raping our seas.

It's disgusting. Same with salmon. But the man with a rod and line gets the blame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭malinheader

It's disgusting. Same with salmon. But the man with a rod and line gets the blame

Sorry lads but it was the drift net fishermen around our coasts who always got the blame for the decreasing numbers of salmon and subsiquently had to deal with a big loss to there livelihoods when it was banned. And since the banning of all drift netting which had a very damaging effect on a lot of small coastal communities the numbers of salmon have been on a drastic decrease ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Marcmc

Has anyone tried for mackerel on the east cost yet I know it's early but with warm weather there might be a few around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Every year someone asks me this. My stock answer is: Go and have a try and let us know. Someone has to be first and it's still a good day out. Hit the usual spots and report back.

Every year someone asks me this. My stock answer is: Go and have a try and let us know. Someone has to be first and it's still a good day out. Hit the usual spots and report back.

Very true now I need to find the time

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

I went out yesterday afternoon from Dun Laoghaire on a boat only 1 mackerel caught ,a few sprat in the water not many though

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Reports of macks showing in howth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 omgitsjoshi

I went out fishing behind the docks few days ago near the boat club had no luck in a 3 hour period just wondering if anyone had had any luck catching mackrelel from the shore line in galway . there is a dolphin and seal quite active in the area so i might of just been unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭gifted

Friend caught 6 mackerel in blackhead in Co clare on Sunday...hour and a half fishing...

Im gonna try Sunday morning in dublin port and see what happens. I think irish sea is barren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Nabbed 6 or 7 out just past Imogen Point/Greenore on Sunday. Looked like it was going to be a busy half hour or so but that was it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Marcmc wrote: »
    Has anyone tried for mackerel on the east cost yet I know it's early but with warm weather there might be a few around

I have seen them on the south east coast just over two weeks ago. I'm off to buy a rod and trying my hand this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

They were all just the scouts. Give 2 weeks and they'll be plentiful!

Went to ringsend got one so it wasn't a complete waste. End of the month I'll try again

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Williamjg

I’m quite interested myself to see if anyone has cought any yet
    No sign around the renville park area in oranmore
    I did see the dolphin though. Was at Galway Bay Golf Club and was on the 12 hole looked over to the bay and I saw a fin and a bit of a back pop out of the water. Pulled out the binoculars and saw a dolphin

Might check ballinacourty peir this weekend

• Advertisement

Anyone seen any action in Galway yet

Advertisement