Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

You can check verzekering.nl or independer.nl, you put in your criteria and they come up with the best provider for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

You can check verzekering.nl or independer.nl, you put in your criteria and they come up with the best provider for you.

I went with independer for car insurance, might as well do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Cz seem grand. I thought I was getting prescriptions free though & then realised they're coming out of my 360 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

What are the age ranges of most of you here in Amsterdam?

I have been quite homesick last few weeks, really the whole unfriendliness thing over here has gotten to me. Been here two years now and really has been something that has stuck out throughout, that and the lack of nature. Maybe I'm just a country guy since I grew up in upstate new york and mayo, just finding it hard sometimes in that regard

We're in our mid-30s.....and same with all my irish friends here.

• Advertisement

I've been fortunate never to really feel this hostility from Dutch people, that some mention. Definitely a different pace of life in a small town in the east compared to the Randstad. Even if the real distance is only an hour and a quarter drive. My gf loathes the big Dutch cities, doesn't like the people at all.

Early to mid 30s. Ya, I think Amsterdammers can be a bit much sometimes. Met a lot of them here at a festival over the weekend, the contrast between them and the locals was quite apparent.

Hey guys

For the rent and medical insurance allowance, do you know if the income you provide is before or after tax?

I mean when you are checking whether you are eligible for the allowances do you enter your income before or after tax?

I am changing job and not sure whether I am eligible or not

Thanks!

shortys94 wrote: »
    Hey guys

For the rent and medical insurance allowance, do you know if the income you provide is before or after tax?

I mean when you are checking whether you are eligible for the allowances do you enter your income before or after tax?

I am changing job and not sure whether I am eligible or not

Thanks!

It's your income before tax.

Got a letter during the week from Belastingdienst telling me my zorgverzekering toeslag had been approved. About 70% of my health insurance cost is being covered. :D

Ah cheers ok, hmmm don't think im eligible anymore, was getting the allowance up till now, sucks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I noticed in Belgium the Dutch directness and loudness is a bit of a sore point.

The Belgians are more French influenced I guess even in Flanders and tend to couch things in a lot of polite language. French, can be even more polite than English is often an extremely indirect language where things get hinted at and suggested rather than said straight.

There's a lot of formality and slightly artificial politeness in shops which you omit at your peril.

You walk into a small shop and say Bonjour Madame / Monsieur or you will instantly be seen as rude / disrespectful and that you're treating them like a servant.

That causes immediately bad responses and poor service. Also smiles are petty much expected or you will get service with a scowl!

Then you've the formal greeting rituals with the air kissing and needing to know who you're kissing, what region you're in etc to calculate the correct number of kisses and avoid social embarrassment - nothing worse than over estimating the number!! Fail to do it and you're seen as aloof, cold or weird.

Does that kind of thing apply in NL at all?

Maybe there's a need to engage in the politeness or formalities then move to the small talk to open the door of s friendly conversation?

SpaceTime wrote: »

Then you've the formal greeting rituals with the air kissing and needing to know who you're kissing, what region you're in etc to calculate the correct number of kisses and avoid social embarrassment - nothing worse than over estimating the number!! Fail to do it and you're seen as aloof, cold or weird.

Does that kind of thing apply in NL at all?

Maybe there's a need to engage in the politeness or formalities then move to the small talk to open the door of s friendly conversation?

In Amsterdam it's 3 kisses. Men don't kiss men except for close family (and perhaps close friends? not sure about that one). Women kiss men and women. That's pretty much it. (by the way I'm not sure what the rules are for LGTB community)
    I have found the dutch to be very friendly. Direct hell yeah, but friendly and warm. And the bluntness/no BS kind of suits me tbh

In Amsterdam it's 3 kisses. Men don't kiss men except for close family (and perhaps close friends? not sure about that one). Women kiss men and women. That's pretty much it. (by the way I'm not sure what the rules are for LGTB community)
    I have found the dutch to be very friendly. Direct hell yeah, but friendly and warm. And the bluntness/no BS kind of suits me tbh

I've always found them very friendly too. I quite like the somewhat zany sense of humour and loudness tbh.

Meh.. Belgians are just special people.

The kissing cheek thing is probably a bit more common than in Ireland, but not like in Belgium or France. Always a firm handshake with other guys.

Walking into a shop, you're always greeted by a ''gooie dag!'' or "hallo!" by someone working there but I don't think I've got weird looks for not responding. Something that still takes me by surprise. But then again.. my gf has always said that she thinks that people in shops and restaurants in Ireland are much friendlier. More genuine probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

pajor wrote: »

The kissing cheek thing is probably a bit more common than in Ireland, but not like in Belgium or France. Always a firm handshake with other guys.

Walking into a shop, you're always greeted by a ''gooie dag!'' or "hallo!" by someone working there but I don't think I've got weird looks for not responding. Something that still takes me by surprise. But then again.. my gf has always said that she thinks that people in shops and restaurants in Ireland are much friendlier. More genuine probably.

Totally normal here in Brabant too.

And of course the "Houdoe" when leaving.

But then again.. my gf has always said that she thinks that people in shops and restaurants in Ireland are much friendlier.

Chalk it down !! In normal (not upscale now) cafes & restaurants in Amsterdam you're Lucky if the waiting staff look at you/acknowledge your presence! And to get a menu......that's definitely a step too far. I Always have to ask for the menu - I just do it automatically now or go up and take it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Chalk it down !! In normal (not upscale now) cafes & restaurants in Amsterdam you're Lucky if the waiting staff look at you/acknowledge your presence! And to get a menu......that's definitely a step too far. I Always have to ask for the menu - I just do it automatically now or go up and take it myself

Must say, we were in Wagamamas on Max Euweplein at the Weekend, the service was super quick, I think I had the food in front of me in about 5 minutes after ordering :)

Must say, we were in Wagamamas on Max Euweplein at the Weekend, the service was super quick, I think I had the food in front of me in about 5 minutes after ordering :)

Wagamamas is different. That's an international chain and has a unique style of service. The staff there are trained to be very fast and very friendly.

I'm talking about dutch owned businesses - small local cafes and restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm sorry, i refuse to believe that you got good customer service in the Netherlands.

The fact that you did not have to get your own menu and no-one shouted at you does not mean it is good customer service. :pac:

To be fair to the Belgians though - they can actually cook :)

• Advertisement

More genuine probably.

This I can't agree with. OK, I don't have someone kissing my a*se and begorra- ing at me when I'm trying to have my lunch or buy a pair of shoes but the Dutch are COMPLETELY genuine, far more so than the Irish.

This I can't agree with. OK, I don't have someone kissing my a*se and begorra- ing at me when I'm trying to have my lunch or buy a pair of shoes but the Dutch are COMPLETELY genuine, far more so than the Irish.

That wouldn't be my opinion.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Dutch service has improved since I moved over in the 90's but it's still got a fair way to go. I went to a cafe in Amsterdam yesterday and after 20 minutes sitting outside with no service I went inside to order from the waitresses who were having a great old chat. Another guy came in and ordered a drink and told the waitresses that several tables of people were waiting to order outside. The waitress gave him his beer then sat up on her high stool again and continued her chat for another 15 minutes before finally reluctantly going to serve her customers. My friends live nearby and said this happens all the time, they've stopped going there and to another similar place nearby. I guess as long as customers are going there and willing to put up with ****e service places like this will stay in business. I won't be going back anyway, and I didn't leave a tip.

I didn't leave a tip.

I never leave a tip unless I get exceptional service. One of the advantages of here you don't have to tip.

I'm sorry, i refuse to believe that you got good customer service in the Netherlands.

The fact that you did not have to get your own menu and no-one shouted at you does not mean it is good customer service. :pac:

I was there, it happened. Was so good we even tipped over the odds. To be fair he was Antillean, I think Curacao or Surinaam.

While service isn't always the friendliest, it is genuine. I find us Irish can be OTT at times and it's just a difference in culture.

I was there, it happened. .

Are Keithclany & denhaagite an item? :cool:

Sinds 8 jaar, getrouwd 4 :pac:

Sinds 8 jaar, getrouwd 4 :pac:

Awww wat lief! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Early to mid 30s. Ya, I think Amsterdammers can be a bit much sometimes. Met a lot of them here at a festival over the weekend, the contrast between them and the locals was quite apparent.

Random question but what festival was that? Was at a festival in Eersel around the time, definitely did find that locals at it were much nicer than the Amsterdammers i was used to.

• Advertisement

Ya it was the E3 Strand in Eersel for We Are Electric. It's the first time it's been on during the summer with camping so we wouldn't normally see so many but there were a few who were just obnoxious. Should have learned our lesson from A Day at the Park in Amsterdam last year.

I spend a lot of time in Amsterdam but it was never this apparent. Music festivals obviously just attract a special kind of Amster- w*nker :p

Advertisement