Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netherlands

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

pajor wrote: »
    My impression now would be that rent costs between Amsterdam and Dublin probably aren't that different i.e. both sky high. But I think you'll find that the quality and general availability of rental places will be a lot better in Amsterdam (or even anywhere in NL) better than in Dublin.

And on the idea of Dutch people not being friendly, I will never agree on that. Dutch people are definitely more direct and don't tolerate BS, but not unfriendly. IMO Dutch city folk, especially Amsterdammers are just.. eikels. :pac:

I find the prices of rent ok in Amsterdam to be honest. Some of my friends living Dublin say a lot that the rent is very high indeed.

Should not have generalized to the remainder of the country, but Amsterdammers I find the coldest of the cold.

In regards to saving, same, no issues whatsoever on that front, pay is high here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

shortys94 wrote: »
    I find the prices of rent ok in Amsterdam to be honest. Some of my friends living Dublin say a lot that the rent is very high indeed.

Should not have generalized to the remainder of the country, but Amsterdammers I find the coldest of the cold.

In regards to saving, same, no issues whatsoever on that front, pay is high here.

I think there is a big difference where you are in the country as well as regards to the friendliness of people. I've lived in a few different places and Eindhoven/ Brabant seems the friendliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

shortys94 wrote: »

I think there is a big difference where you are in the country as well as regards to the friendliness of people. I've lived in a few different places and Eindhoven/ Brabant seems the friendliest.
    Funny you say that because 4 of my Dutch friends are from the south!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Hello,

Moving to Venlo for a 3 month contracting role starting next Monday. It seems next to impossible to find accommodation for that length of time. I've contacted the three agencies that I could find in the town, all of whom say that they only deal in 6 month+ contracts. I'd like my own place as I'll be working long hours so just want somewhere that I can crash.

Also, will my Irish health insurance be sufficient for the 3 months?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Hello,

Moving to Venlo for a 3 month contracting role starting next Monday. It seems next to impossible to find accommodation for that length of time. I've contacted the three agencies that I could find in the town, all of whom say that they only deal in 6 month+ contracts. I'd like my own place as I'll be working long hours so just want somewhere that I can crash.

Thanks in advance

3 Months for a furnished apartment is very short, it will be pricey.
    Try AirBNB and try to negotitate a rate for a 3 month rental period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Might be worth looking in Helmond or Eindhoven for more options, lots of students will be leaving for the summer so will be looking to sublet their accommodation, if you're lucky there might be some nice studios for short term let. The commute is not bad, 40 minutes from Eindhoven and 30 from Helmond. In Eindhoven I know there is a really good Facebook page for finding accommodation, I've found 2 tenants there. As regards health insurance, it really depends on your terms at work. If you are on a Dutch contract, getting paid in the Netherlands and paying Dutch taxes I'm 99% certain that you have to get Dutch health insurance. If not then you should really ask your employer what the situation is.

redcup342 wrote: »
    3 Months for a furnished apartment is very short, it will be pricey.
    Try AirBNB and try to negotitate a rate for a 3 month rental period.

Cheers. Ya, I've been looking at AirBnBs. Hoping to take one for 1 week and chat to the owner about pricing. Very little on offer though.

Might be worth looking in Helmond or Eindhoven for more options, lots of students will be leaving for the summer so will be looking to sublet their accommodation, if you're lucky there might be some nice studios for short term let. The commute is not bad, 40 minutes from Eindhoven and 30 from Helmond. In Eindhoven I know there is a really good Facebook page for finding accommodation, I've found 2 tenants there. As regards health insurance, it really depends on your terms at work. If you are on a Dutch contract, getting paid in the Netherlands and paying Dutch taxes I'm 99% certain that you have to get Dutch health insurance. If not then you should really ask your employer what the situation is.

Thanks for the response. I've been looking at that commute alright but I could be working 10/11 hour days and wouldn't mind a short enough drive home in the evenings to just crash. Might have to keep it in mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks in advance

If you are ok with just taking a room, given it's short term, Kamernet is a good website

If you are ok with just taking a room, given it's short term, Kamernet is a good website

Ya, I might have to do that alright. Seems to be the cheapest option alright. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Dunno if anyone still looks at this thread.

Maar alweer, fijne Koningsdag allemaal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Blind Eagle

Happy to here this as I'll hopefully be moving to Noord Brabant soon!

Any other housing websites that I should know about? I've used Kamernet, huurwoningen, friendly housing, funda. I'll be there for 2.5 years doing a masters.

Can anyone give some recommendations as to what phone company to go for?

And bank too? Apologies if this has been asked but it's quite a long thread!

And is it true that the Dutch are sticklers for having set dates for everything, even going for a coffee haha?

Can anyone give some recommendations as to what phone company to go for?

And bank too? Apologies if this has been asked but it's quite a long thread!

And is it true that the Dutch are sticklers for having set dates for everything, even going for a coffee haha?

I’ve been with Lycamobile for nearly 5 years. €10 per month prepaid for unlimited calls and texts and 5GB data. You’ll need a form of Dutch ID for bill pay with a phone. If you want sim only bill pay, then Simyo might be a good bet.

I have accounts with both Rabo and ING. Both are decent for everyday use.

Koffietijd is 10am and 8pm :D

I’ve been with Lycamobile for nearly 5 years. €10 per month prepaid for unlimited calls and texts and 5GB data. You’ll need a form of Dutch ID for bill pay with a phone. If you want sim only bill pay, then Simyo might be a good bet.

I have accounts with both Rabo and ING. Both are decent for everyday use.

Koffietijd is 10am and 8pm :D

Jaysus 8pm... I'd be up all night... Unless you mean that other stuff!

Ye I will have a dutch ID and bank account before I get a phone. Do you have to have had a bank account for certain amount of time before you can get bill. T'was the case when I moved to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Ye I will have a dutch ID and bank account before I get a phone. Do you have to have had a bank account for certain amount of time before you can get bill. T'was the case when I moved to the UK.

Pretty sure that companies like Vodafone will give you a bill pay almost straight away but they are expensive. The smaller companies need 3 months of accounts first. You could always get a prepay sim for the first few months and then just port your number over to a cheaper plan when you have the 3 months. I have a youfone plan and its €10 for 10gb and 100 minutes.

I don’t drink coffee anymore after 7, otherwise I don’t sleep.

I don’t think there’s a restriction on needing a bank account for a certain amount of time. The account needs to be verified but once you’re up and running, should be fine. You’ll have a Dutch driving licence then?

I don’t drink coffee anymore after 7, otherwise I don’t sleep.

I don’t think there’s a restriction on needing a bank account for a certain amount of time. The account needs to be verified but once you’re up and running, should be fine. You’ll have a Dutch driving licence then?

Sorry, when you said Dutch ID I had registering with the local authority in my head for some reason. I won't. How long does it take to switch your license to a dutch one do you know?

Sorry, when you said Dutch ID I had registering with the local authority in my head for some reason. I won't. How long does it take to switch your license to a dutch one do you know?

My gemeente say 5 working days.

My gemeente say 5 working days.

Grand. Cheers for your help!

Advertisement