Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Les Kiss, realistic long term successor to Kidney?

Options
  • 02-04-2013 4:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭

With the news Kidney is on his way, already Gerry Thornley's dream scenario of Les Kiss becoming the next coach of Ireland has gotten a step closer with the announcement that he will be the interim coach for the summer tour.

Would you be in favour of Kiss replacing Kidney long term as Ireland coach?

Are you in favour of Kiss becoming the long term Ireland head coach? 33 votes

Yes
    3%
    Joekers 1 vote
    No
    96%
    DravokivichRandolphEsqdelta_bravoArmaniJeansslemanskyirishbucsfangcgirlachtungbarrysydthebeatMonsterMobmolloyjhJarrenDunder MifflinwillitMikeCork2009Hunchbackdarragh_havendecisionsRedsockParawhore.xD 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Just no. It's a cop out of an appointment.

Entirely new coaching set up please!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

yes, new setup needed all around. make a fresh start.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

No and I don't think it will happen the IRFU might be crazy but they are not stupid they know our recent failures are not all down to Kidney

They are simply keeping Kiss to buy time

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Nope.

Grand for the Summer tour, gives us time to find a top class coach but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

No
    Right who voted yes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

gcgirl wrote: »
    Right who voted yes :-)

Les Kiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

He's only there to buy time.

I still think it would have been interesting to give the summer job to the Women's coach.
    .ak wrote: »
    Les Kiss.

And he's bribed Rala for the other vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Appointing Kiss would deprive the team of the 'fresh voice' benefit that was touted as so important in winning the GS in 2009.

He has no experience as head coach at any level, therefore he is also completely unqualified.

His track record as assistant coach in the last few seasons is patchy at best.

I suspect he and Smal are being kept on to minimise the financial hit of IRFU having to buy out more contracts (and hire another interim staff), I don't expect either to be in situ for 6N 2014.

So, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Realistically, how could the IRFU have the gall to stick with the same philosophy and motivational styles when it hasn't been working for the last several years? I'm sure the decision makers realise that if Kiss is appointed it'll be the same story coming from a different person, the players won't respond to that. Also if Kiss was appointed would it be the first case in any sport of an assistant of an unsuccessful coach being appointed as head coach and expected to right the ship?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

WOW kiss with 4 votes ..................

I smell a few auld trolls around.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Rugby league player turned Irish rugby union coach I wonder how that will work out? I think a potential shift in the scrum rulings in the future based on poor scrumaging over the past few months could actually reflect more of a rugby league type game in union and Kiss could turn out well but still not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I hope the mods have bumped this poll up to Boardsie HQ to get onto the IP trail of the Les Kiss multiple accounts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Anyone who voted yes, care to explain their reasoning? apart from trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

In related news, Frankie Sheahan welcomes Les Kiss (for the Ireland job) and Deccie (for the Munster job) onto his books......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

In a lesser role, would people keep him on as defense coach? Wasn't that his initial job as part of the Irish setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

No
    Anyone who voted yes, care to explain their reasoning? apart from trolling.

I can't see anyone else being interested (unless McKenzie doesn't get the Wallabies job which won't be sorted until after the Lions/Championship).

It would be a bit embarrassing to be 2nd choice to a failed Stade coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

jm08 wrote: »
    I can't see anyone else being interested (unless McKenzie doesn't get the Wallabies job which won't be sorted until after the Lions/Championship).

Stade Francais were/are an absolute mess, remember Cheika 'failed' there as well. Richard Pool-Jones has just left. There is/was a lot of off-field problems at that club, they nearly got put out of existence before Savare turned up to bail them out. I wouldn't hold that against McKenzie, although it has to be said that the Stade Francais squad at his disposal was stronger than the current squad.

I think his turnaround of the Queensland from a bottom / near bottom side to Super Rugby champions in two seasons was remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

No
    Stade Francais were/are an absolute mess, remember Cheika 'failed' there as well. Richard Pool-Jones has just left. There is/was a lot of off-field problems at that club, they nearly got put out of existence before Savare turned up to bail them out. I wouldn't hold that against McKenzie, although it has to be said that the Stade Francais squad at his disposal was stronger than the current squad.

I think his turnaround of the Queensland from a bottom / near bottom side to Super Rugby champions in two seasons was remarkable.

He has very little experience of NH rugby so I'd imagine it would be very stiff learning curve. The reason why he got the sack from Stade was because they were struggling at the start of his 2nd season there. He has to take some responsibility for that.

There might have been other reasons for Cheika (although I'm not sure he'd make an international coach).

Some pretty good talent with the Reds (and I think they were a wee bit lucky that the Crusaders had so much travelling to do that season to win the final).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

What's the point in sacking Kidney if you give his position to a coach who has been found out? The defense has notably improved since its responsibility has been fobbed off to Foley. The attack has been shocking since he took over and his flaccid defense knocked us out of the RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

As we say in NZ Keep It Simple Stupid...that means an entirely new coaching set up to move Ireland forward!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

In a lesser role, would people keep him on as defense coach? Wasn't that his initial job as part of the Irish setup?
    Maybe. Not sure it would be the best idea but I'd rather him as defense coach rather than head coach or attack coach or double jobbing defense and attack coach.

I can see the sense of the interim appointment. IRFU want McKenzie(or other SH coach), he isn't free until after the summer tour so put in someone that doesn't cost any extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

No
    If anything the actual coaches (Kiss and Smal) are more responsible for we are at the minute than Kidney. Absolutely no way should either get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

so your going down the "but there's no one else" route so, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

He has very little experience of NH rugby so I'd imagine it would be very stiff learning curve.

Its a steep learning curve alright, just ask Joe and Vern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I struggle to see any logic in settling for Kiss, unless we really really can't find anybody else. But there would want to be a lot of "thanks but no thanks" letters before I turned to Kiss.

Was there anything of note he brought during his tenure in the backroom staff with Ireland?

If we're going to appoint domestically, (ruling out provincial coaches for a moment) I'd look to someone like Ruddock (GS winning coach in his own right) before I'd turn to Kiss. In fact, I'm quite disappointed he wasn't given the role for the summer tour, as presumably he would be a credible candidate, all be it not topping the list of desired candidates.

He did a reasonable job with Leinster (Heineken Cup semi-final), turned Wales around from a sh*t show to Grand Slam champs (in some ways, opposite to what Kidney did, brought us from GS quality side to sh*t shows) and has done well with U-20's and a superb job with Lansdowne. Definitely a contender, but in IRFU now trade mark stupidity, didn't bother taking a look at him in the role on a temporary basis before making their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Certainly not for Head Coach.

I'd be open to him being held as defence coach however

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Where's the option for "OH GOOD LORD NO!!!"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

leftleg wrote: »
    Its a steep learning curve alright, just ask Joe and Vern.

More importantly, we've been playing NH rugby for 150 years and it's got us nowhere. We need a new approach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

He has very little experience of NH rugby so I'd imagine it would be very stiff learning curve. The reason why he got the sack from Stade was because they were struggling at the start of his 2nd season there. He has to take some responsibility for that.

There might have been other reasons for Cheika (although I'm not sure he'd make an international coach).

Some pretty good talent with the Reds (and I think they were a wee bit lucky that the Crusaders had so much travelling to do that season to win the final).

Finished second bottom the year before he took over.
    A lot of similarities there in taking a team with obvious talent and putting the structure, attacking strategy and teamwork in place to take them higher.

Advertisement