Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch Gold

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

I drink, but wouldn't touch Dutch Gold
    OK, I have to get this off my chest. Why do people give you looks when you purchase or drink a can of Dutch gold :( It is a nice Goddamn beer. It has a fresh crisp taste and goes down very well. It is not the cheapest of beers, I have seen cheaper. It tastes very nice (I think so anyway). the only reason (well, I think anyway) it has a bad reputation is because scum bags drink it, then idiots use the excuse .. oh that's a bad beer, scum bags drink it so it must be bad for you ...BOLLOCKS .... the only reason scumbags drink it is because it is cheap, for ffs, if Miller did a deal where they sold 10 cans for a Euro, then scum would be drinking it. Get over yourselves, Jesus. It is a nice beer. I'm sick of people bashing Dutch Gold and people who choose to drink it, ie, me.

Scum drink it because it is cheap, doesn't mean the beer is inferior quality or taste. It's a European Pilsner, far miles better than Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc and other American lagers. The only difference in cheap beers and expensive ones is largely due to the water used. ie, Guinness and other fancy stuff gets their water from Wicklow Mountains and other cheaper breweries source water from other location, ie midlands regions or hard / limescale water. that's all.

tl;dr version: Dutch Gold not ≠ bad
    Only reason scum drink it is because it is cheap
    Cheap ≠ Bad
    Dutch gold tastes nice

If anyone here bashes Dutch Gold .. have you ever drank a can ??

give me a can of Dutchie any day as oppose to some apparant "man" who needs a poncy lemon in their bottle to drink a trendy Carona . Ponces!

Sure, Stella Artois (nice) use to be extremely expensive. Their ads use to make fun of that. Now? easily get a bottle or can for dirt cheap.

When I had more money, in college, I use to make the major mistake of buying cans Heineken and Smithwicks (all lovely) instead of the other chaps getting their cheaper drinks, like Tennants (well , that is mank , horrible) I was drinking Dutch Gold since circa 13 years) Huge waste of money , so if I had time back again, I would have saved €2-3 euro and gone Dutch

The secret to drinking Dutch was always to have two cans of decent beer like Bud or Carling first, then start on the Dutch.

Ha, Bud is gassed piss water. IMO

collie0708 wrote: »
    I can't believe how many people still drink this piss went you can get 24 cans of Heineken for €24....

So, you are going to drink 24 cans within 3 hours before going to a pub? 6 cans are about €7 , go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

give me a can of Dutchie any day as oppose to some apparant "man" who needs a poncy lemon in their bottle to drink a trendy Carona . Ponces!

Sure, Stella Artois (nice) use to be extremely expensive. Their ads use to make fun of that. Now? easily get a bottle or can for dirt cheap.

Corona is the business, the lemon or lime is unnecessary (it's a Mexican beer so the lemon/lime was to keep flies away) and does not improve it. No better beer to drink on a sunny day.

As for Stella, it's the other way around, it had a bad rep in the UK as it was so cheap and popular with the welfare class (hence the charming moniker 'wife beater') so they started an ad campaign stating that it was 'reassuringly expensive'

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Beer is horrible full stop. You are all only lying to yourselves :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Dutch is no better or worse than any big brand beer. Personally I prefare Heineken(when selecting from this group) but there's fúck all difference between it and Carlsberg, Bud, Tuborg, Fosters etc.

I've recently started drinking Tom Creans Irish Lager when at home and find that nicer than any of the larger brands.

So, you are going to drink 24 cans within 3 hours before going to a pub? 6 cans are about €7 , go figure

Not arguing in favour of Heineken at all but you know you don't have to drink it all in 3 hours before going to the pub its sensible to stock up when things are on offer. I would always get a couple of slabs of Bavaria when its on offer for instance.
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Corona is the business, the lemon or lime is unnecessary (it's a Mexican beer so the lemon/lime was to keep flies away) and does not improve it. No better beer to drink on a sunny day.

I like Corona myself, but I do think the lime gives it a nicer flavour (lemon ruins it). Its expensive though compared to pints in the pub or cans. Its nice on a sunny day or as a "breakfast" beer i.e. for the cure.

Not arguing in favour of Heineken at all but you know you don't have to drink it all in 3 hours before going to the pub its sensible to stock up when things are on offer. I would always get a couple of slabs of Bavaria when its on offer for instance.
    Have cans, will drink!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Felexicon wrote: »
    Dutch is no better or worse than any big brand beer. Personally I prefare Heineken(when selecting from this group) but there's fúck all difference between it and Carlsberg, Bud, Tuborg, Fosters etc.

I've recently started drinking Tom Creans Irish Lager when at home and find that nicer than any of the larger brands.

Creans is tayshty.

Heineken would be my beer of choice otherwise, but I wouldn't rate Dutch any worse than the rest of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I survived University mostly on Dutch Gold, Garlic Chips and Cheese and Super Noodles. Didn't do me any harm.

Also I recently bought one bottle of an M&S own brand Belgian beer for £3.09. While it was tasty I was disgusted at the fact I could probably buy a case of Dutch Gold for the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

All the 4,2% lagers available here taste like piss.
    Same brands but with 5% or more all of a sudden taste a lot better.

I ll take a 5% Heineken any time but the Irish 4.2% version you can keep.

Hardly ever buy beer because of this. Did buy a box of Grolsch 5% in Lidl a few weeks ago though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I drink but would only take Dutch if I had to / if offered out of politness
    I used to drink dutch gold but i noticed every single time summer comes in all the batches of dutch gold have a nasty after taste, stinking smell for some reason, it's like they didn't clean the vats or the beer was left out in extreme heat for long periods of time, did anyone else notice this bad twang from dutch gold in the summer ?.

In the winter the beer tastes and smells fine though, i contacted dutch gold last year because of the bad taste but i never got a reply from them. I'd never drink it again ever because you just don't know when you buy a batch if they will be bad ones. It's tuborg now that i drink from denmark and they don't use fluoridated water so all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I wouldn't go so far as to call Bud or Carling decent but I agree with everything else
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Seriously??
    Ha, Bud is gassed piss water. IMO

Bud and Carling may not be winning the gold medal anytime soon, but for the man on a budget they are a welcome luxury before ten cans of Dutch. :) Thinking back, I always found Dutch gold and Lambert and Butler Cig's were nearly always found together. (usually on somebody in a ditch I might add)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lovesfatgirls

Drank it alot in my teens that and stonehouse grants vodka if i was feeling wild
    the hangovers from dutch though now find to much, bavaria is another that does the same also heineken
    used to be fine but now...theres a strong chance of painting the toilet next morning
    will drink dutch if the alternative is something like bud or tennants or something, really depends on what the lesser evil going is :P

on a note i drank 8 cans of hackenberg a couple of weeks ago never again..such a headache.
    When ive money i drink erdinger, tuborg when poor tuborg is nice no tinny taste not bad from a tap either, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I drink alcohol, but I don't drink beer anyway
    Drank it regularly during college but as soon as Tuborg came on the market I switched to that for my budget beer and would still usually have a few cans of it in the fridge and would generally opt for it over a Heineken/Bud/Carlsberg if it's on draft in a place where I don't rate the Guinness.

Quite fond of the Perlanbacher from Lidl too but it involves a trip to the bottle bank whereas the cans can be just chucked in the bin.

Once a month or so I'll treat myself to a run at World Beers fridge in McHugh's but it's too expensive for everyday beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Hah, this is funny. I've never drank the stuff, but I decided to buy 8 cans (for a tenner!) on good friday, for a game of cards in my friends house.

The amount of stick I got for drinking it was mad! A guy even took a picture and tweeted about me drinking it.

I thought it was actually nice too!

Ps. It didn't bother me getting a bit of banter about it, I didn't complain. But it does show that it has a bit of a reputation! :pac:

Hah, this is funny. I've never drank the stuff, but I decided to buy 8 cans (for a tenner!) on good friday, for a game of cards in my friends house.

The amount of stick I got for drinking it was mad! A guy even took a picture and tweeted about me drinking it.

I thought it was actually nice too!

Ps. It didn't bother me getting a bit of banter about it, I didn't complain. But it does show that it has a bit of a reputation! :pac:
    It's like driving a Skoda. There's actually nothing wrong with it but you would recommend it to your mates

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

There are much better beers than Dutch Gold, a six pack of Staropramen is also very cheap, may not be top quality, but it tastes a hell of a lot better. It really comes down to brand familiarity, and most people will always buy a brand they are familiar with regardless of quality.

speaking of tuborg, i just drank 3 cans there and they were lovely but this one now has a tinny taste from it which is very weird as i never got a tinny taste from tuborg ever. The 10 cans i got a while ago 8 of them were the original colour markings but two of them are new painted cans and look different, ah well at least the rest of them should be ok.

PS: Staropramen is a nice drink for sure but i find it a bit heavy, 2 bottles are very nice though, quite expensive i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Can't stand Dutch Gold. It's one of the few beers that I just cannot stomach. While I prefer more expensive Belgian stuff I'm quite happy to chug away on the cheap beer in a session - Spar's Ludger's Gold & Dunne's Germania are generally found in my fridge. At a push I'll even tolerate Stoya or Bavaria. Definitely not a beer snob in that sense. Dutch Gold on the other hand makes me gag, have tried it a few times & same result. Horrible metalic, harsh taste off it. It is possible to get reasonably drinkable beer for cheap enough but don't think Dutch Gold is one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Formosa

I'd love a Bishop's Finger right now...

Custardpi wrote: »
    Can't stand Dutch Gold. It's one of the few beers that I just cannot stomach. While I prefer more expensive Belgian stuff I'm quite happy to chug away on the cheap beer in a session - Spar's Ludger's Gold & Dunne's Germania are generally found in my fridge. At a push I'll even tolerate Stoya or Bavaria. Definitely not a beer snob in that sense. Dutch Gold on the other hand makes me gag, have tried it a few times & same result. Horrible metalic, harsh taste off it. It is possible to get reasonably drinkable beer for cheap enough but don't think Dutch Gold is one of them.

The Spar's 'Ludger's Gold' is that a heavy beer or a light one and what % volume is it ? might try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

zenno wrote: »
    The Spar's 'Ludger's Gold' is that a heavy beer or a light one and what % volume is it ? might try it out.

Don't have a can to hand to check but it's basically a German style lager (says it's brewed according to the Reihheitsgebot). Think it's around 4.8% or so. Not mind-blowiingly good but for €1.25 a can it does the job, decent enough with pizza.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Don't have a can to hand to check but it's basically a German style lager (says it's brewed according to the Reihheitsgebot). Think it's around 4.8% or so. Not mind-blowiingly good but for €1.25 a can it does the job, decent enough with pizza.

I'll grab a can or two of it next time to see how it goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Sleepy wrote: »
    Quite fond of the Perlanbacher from Lidl too but it involves a trip to the bottle bank whereas the cans can be just chucked in the bin

Not meaning to go off topic but do you not have a recycling bin for cans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

Its not the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dutch Gold is ghey as hell, there is a shirtless and shaven burley man in stone washed jeans carrying a barrel of lube on the can.

Dutch Gold is ghey as hell, there is a shirtless and shaven burley man in stone washed jeans carrying a barrel of lube on the can.
    That's actually a picture of Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris cannot be called ghey in any situation, in fact by you typing his name he has just got your mother pregnant!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Drank it alot in my teens that and stonehouse grants vodka if i was feeling wild
    There's a flashback from college years. Stonehouse cider.
    6% and 6 cans for a fiver, hard to beat.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's a flashback from college years. Stonehouse cider.
    6% and 6 cans for a fiver, hard to beat.
    The only thing you'd beat that with would be a stick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement