Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch Gold

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I drink, but wouldn't touch Dutch Gold
    Custardpi wrote: »
    Don't have a can to hand to check but it's basically a German style lager (says it's brewed according to the Reihheitsgebot). Think it's around 4.8% or so. Not mind-blowiingly good but for €1.25 a can it does the job, decent enough with pizza.

4.7% iirc, not a bad beer by all accounts. Being honest I would take a can of Dutch Gold anyday over that sh*t Miller or Budweiser. It's certainly no worse than Heineken or Carlsberg.. Miller was the worst tasting "lager" I have ever come across, sweet and syrupy eugh :P. Coors Light would be another contender.
    Apparently over in Denmark Tuborg is the "posher" drink compared to Carlsberg which is quite ironic. I don't mind it as it's a nice refreshing drink and goes down easy. What annoys me about dutch gold these days is the can spout has changed from wide to small, first world problems I know but I drink from the cans and find the wider spouts better.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I drink but would only take Dutch if I had to / if offered out of politness
    yoyo wrote: »
    What annoys me about dutch gold these days is the can spout has changed from wide to small, first world problems I know but I drink from the cans and find the wider spouts better.

Nick

A wide spout is handy at the other end after drinking lots of beer.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is not the cheapest of beers, I have seen cheaper.
    +1
    if Miller did a deal where they sold 10 cans for a Euro, then scum would be drinking it.
    One issue is dutch gold was never expensive, so people do not have this false sense of quality they have with other beers, e.g. bud or heineken etc. These have finally fallen to the ranks along with the cheap unadvertised beers.

I am usually not fussy and drink whatever crap is on offer, lots are very similar. When heineken is on offer I might get it, and have gotten comments from heineken drinking mates like "oh you're on the good stuff for once, splashing out are we" -and I take great pleasure in saying, "no just picked up this cheapo low quality shite cos it was cheaper than bavaria". Many are blind to the overpricing of beers, all these big beers are readily got for €1 a can or bottle now, but instead of being pissed off that they were ripped off for years, people are pleased to get this muck at the price it should be.

I think the other factor with dutch gold is the cheesy name and horrific looking can. It is comical and was ripe for a slagging, if doing a scumbag impersonation saying "giz 6 bavaria/pravsky" doesn't have the same ring to it. In offies I go to I don't think its the biggest seller for young lads.

Along the same lines, other names that are popular for scumbag impersonations is "batter burger", and in the Chinese "chicken balls".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's a poor beer but not much worse than a lot of more expensive popular beers like Bud or Carlsberg.

To be honest, most lagers taste pretty much the same after you've had a fair few and they're ice-cold.

anncoates wrote: »
    It's a poor beer but not much worse than a lot of more expensive popular beers like Bud or Carlsberg.
    Bud & carlsberg ARE both cheap muck nowadays, rather than overpriced muck, they are both cheaper than dutch gold in tesco at the moment.

I wonder if really young people are not swayed by previous high prices, and just view them as in the same league. In fact it could be viewed as worse since many of these cheaper beers have less of a % of there cost tied up in advertising. If bud & carlsberg can sell cheaper than dutch gold AND heavily advertise, then how cheaply do they make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

I drink but would only take Dutch if I had to / if offered out of politness
    tyskie for the win for sure, lourvely drop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

what are we secretely voting for with option 6 - 15? :\

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

IM0 wrote: »

Brand X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I drink alcohol, but I don't drink beer anyway

Atari Jaguar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The Chuck Norris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Grolsch or Becks Veir. Two quality cheap beers.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Only if you pass it to the Left hand side....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It's good as long as its not from a 4 or 6 pack. 8, 12 and 24 are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

BX 19 wrote: »

Good shout. Has to be the large swing top Grolsch though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

A friend of mine worked for the distributor of Dutch Gold. Comans wholesale (I think they own the brand) They also supply a huge range of other beers and wine. He was delivering wine to a very posh restaurant and the order also had 20 cases of Dutch Gold. He thought it was a mistake and was bringing it back, but the manager said he had ordered it. They had no beer licence and he said that occasionally some of the patrons ordered a beer and they got a glass of ice cold Dutch. He was laughing like a cnut over it cos they were paying €5 a glass and a can was only costing him peanuts at wholesale prices. He said not once had anyone ever complained and he had got more compliments over the years about the beer than the wine, some bottles of which were crazy prices. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I don't like the taste, but I don't look down on those who do
    jester77 wrote: »
    There are much better beers than Dutch Gold, a six pack of Staropramen is also very cheap, may not be top quality, but it tastes a hell of a lot better. It really comes down to brand familiarity, and most people will always buy a brand they are familiar with regardless of quality.

staropramen ain't cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lost in cork

Dutch is alright. To be honest, if I'm looking for a cheap beer to bulk buy for a session or something, Dutch would be on my list, but if I could get Tuborg I'd much prefer that, think it tastes a lot better and also it doesn't go flat as quickly.

Ironically enough, Stella Artois I find is a bit nasty, but I'd still drink it. The only beer I absolutely wouldn't touch is Exelscior. I'm fairly sure it kills brain cells one sip at a time.
    I drink Excelsior and i have to say ...im not sure what i was gonna say i will get back to you on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

staropramen ain't cheap!

Don't know what it costs there, but it's one of the cheapest beers here in comparison to others, can get a 6 pack for around €3.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I Wonder if you canned Dutch Gold or Royal Dutch in Miller cans would anyonwe even notice :cool:

• Advertisement

staropramen ain't cheap!
    It used to be got for €1 for a longneck years ago. But I think that guy might be mixing it up with some other one.
    I drink Excelsior and i have to say ...im not sure what i was gonna say i will get back to you on that one
    here is proof of his claim
    http://tytempletonart.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/galactus-drinks.jpg

They have ruined excelsior with the new can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

cson wrote: »
    Funnily enough they don't sell this in the Netherlands. Well not Amsterdam anyway.

I wonder does Continental Europe or some other far flung place have Leprechaun Piss or something similar masquerading as some exotic imported beer.

Kilkenny or Caffreys Real Irish Ale maybe.

I shared with a Kiwi in London about 10 years back. "Awww mite. When AAA git ovah to aaahland AAAm gonna drenk sew mech Kilkenny."

"No mate. No you're not."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Becks Veir

:confused:

4% piss, why not buy the proper Becks?

kingtiger wrote: »
    :confused:

4% piss, why not buy the proper Becks?
    Becks vier for the Irish market is 4.3%, if you get 4% stuff it is intended for the UK market.

I think the answer to your question should be obvious.

Regular becks is not cheap, and tastes different, I know people who like vier but not normal becks, as its a stronger flavour to it. The similarity is really just the name, so you may as well be saying "4% piss, why not buy budvar". Or "why buy tesco value chocolate, the finest 90% cocoa one is better"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Don't know what it costs there, but it's one of the cheapest beers here in comparison to others, can get a 6 pack for around €3.40.
    rubadub wrote: »
    It used to be got for €1 for a longneck years ago. But I think that guy might be mixing it up with some other one.

here is proof of his claim
    http://tytempletonart.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/galactus-drinks.jpg

They have ruined excelsior with the new can.

He's in Germany, where all the beer is depressingly cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

He's in Germany, where all the beer is depressingly cheap

Cheaper than water, in fact

sweet! outside Ireland im guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

rubadub wrote: »
    Becks vier for the Irish market is 4.3%, if you get 4% stuff it is intended for the UK market.

I think the answer to your question should be obvious.

Regular becks is not cheap, and tastes different, I know people who like vier but not normal becks, as its a stronger flavour to it. The similarity is really just the name, so you may as well be saying "4% piss, why not buy budvar". Or "why buy tesco value chocolate, the finest 90% cocoa one is better"

Call me dumb but why go to all the hassle for a mere 0.3% difference it it some UK /Eire law difference????

ronan45 wrote: »
    Call me dumb but why go to all the hassle for a mere 0.3% difference it it some UK /Eire law difference????

always wondered about that Ronan,the lower abv in UK beers,bud is an exception to that mind,its 5% in the UK,but 4.3% here.also a lot of cans in the UK are 440ml as opposed to 500 here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement