Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch Gold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I drink alcohol, but I don't drink beer anyway
    if beer doesnt have an alcohol content of 5% or more, I will not drink it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    There are worse beers than Dutch Gold. I'd wager most of the people who look down on Dutch Gold drink Budweiser, Coors Light or some similar piss-like beer
    Big difference between coors light, bud etc than dutch gold though. Those big american beers have no taste. They're inoffensive flavours. Where dutch gold actually tastes like shíte.
    I drank dutch gold years ago when it was the cheapest, but there's way more beers around now that are far more drinkable if you buy a box of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Beer situation is strange and all down to marketing. I was in Holland recently and in fairly posh clubs the most expensive beer on tap was Bavaria (in around €6) and its one of the cheapest here.

Is it the same Bavaria though? They seem to have varying types of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Lets be honest, Dutch Gold is cheap. There for it's going to be of a 'cheaper quality' to put it nicely :pac: But it's still a beer. You get drunk.

Havent had it in a few years. Memory tells me it's weaker than most beers tho. But hey, its cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I drink, but wouldn't touch Dutch Gold
    AEDIC wrote: »
    Dutch Gold in my opinion has a tinny aftertaste and it gives me the worst hangover headaches ever, so personally I think its rank because of that, but I certainly wouldnt give anyone dirty looks for drinking or buying it.

If you drink beer from a can, it's going to have a metallic aftertaste. Just pour it into a pint glass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

kingtiger wrote: »
    if beer doesnt have an alcohol content of 5% or more, I will not drink it

Have you tried the hand gel they have in hospitals ? apparently its alcohol content is quite high.
    Some say its bad for you , buthad itsno ef on me fect and I can still nyahhhhh drive ..............

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    If you drink beer from a can, it's going to have a metallic aftertaste. Just pour it into a pint glass

You could drink it out of a tramps smelly sock and it would still have a tinny aftertaste.... :)

And I dont drink out of cans....how very dare you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Blatter wrote: »
    Is it the same Bavaria though? They seem to have varying types of beers.

No idea but it seemed to have the same label.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Dutch Gold is a vary variable beer. It can taste great or taste like bud/water.
    Royal Dutch, now there's a beer you don't see much of anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

AEDIC wrote: »
    You could drink it out of a tramps smelly sock and it would still have a tinny aftertaste.... :)

And I dont drink out of cans....how very dare you :P

Neither do I, bottles all the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Dutch gold is only sold in Ireland so don't expect to get it in the Netherlands under the same name.
    Bavaria on the other hand is sold widely in the Netherlands and is a fine drink.

Interestingly in terms of sales of canned beer in Ireland dutch gold comes third after Budweiser and Heineken. That is a lot of pee stained tramps buying it or else it has gone mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I owe my teenage years to Dutch. I will be eternally grateful for what it done for me. My drinking habits are now different but it will always have a special place in my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Interestingly in terms of sales of canned beer in Ireland dutch gold comes third after Budweiser and Heineken. That is a lot of pee stained tramps buying it or else it has gone mainstream.

It's gone totally post-ironic. Heading down to Electric Picnic with Fintan, Aodhán and Sorcha in the camper van with a couple of acoustic guitars and 144 cans of Dutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Dutch gold is nice enough. Better than Bavaria, Prazky, Hackenberg etc
    It's certainly better than Bud and Miller.

If I'm after cheap beers these days I usually go for carlsberg (4 for €5) as long as it not the northern Irish 3.8% piss.
    I've recently been going for Estrella Galicia a cheap Spanish beer at €5 for 4 as well.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    I am a Bavaria drinker. I drink it out of choice not necessity and find it to be the nicest can of the mainstream beers you can get.

Same here Bavaria is my first choice when getting cans/bottles for drinking at the house etc, way ahead of Heineken, carlsberg etc. Guinness would be my first choice but only on draught.

As an added bonus Bavaria is usually really cheap, last two slabs I got were 24 cans for 20 euro, happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Drank gallons of Royal Dutch beer in my youth

is it the same beer rebranded?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I drink but would only take Dutch if I had to / if offered out of politness
    Local off license sells all kinds, I have tried beer from many, many different countries. Probably much more than the fools bashing Dutch Gold and I can safely say that Dutch is nicer than Miller, Budweiser and Coors.

That's a bit like saying Leukemia is the best type of cancer to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

"There are two things I hate in this world. People who are racist, and The Dutch."

Cheap beer, nobody will drink it on you at a house party.
    Comes with free shiny track suit.
    Student champagne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Yes
    All beer tastes the same.There,I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Drank gallons of Royal Dutch beer in my youth

is it the same beer rebranded?:confused:
    Nope, it was normally around 10p more expensive per can, so I used to drink it on special occasions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I owe my teenage years to Dutch. I will be eternally grateful for what it done for me. My drinking habits are now different but it will always have a special place in my heart.
    Yes,no doubt as a form of coronary infection that eventually kill you:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Ah mothers milk

if your mothers tits are baboons arses that is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

6 cans of Dutch for a 5er,those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

OK, I have to get this off my chest. Why do people give you looks when you purchase or drink a can of Dutch gold :( It is a nice Goddamn beer. It has a fresh crisp taste and goes down very well. It is not the cheapest of beers, I have seen cheaper. It tastes very nice (I think so anyway). the only reason (well, I think anyway) it has a bad reputation is because scum bags drink it, then idiots use the excuse .. oh that's a bad beer, scum bags drink it so it must be bad for you ...BOLLOCKS .... the only reason scumbags drink it is because it is cheap, for ffs, if Miller did a deal where they sold 10 cans for a Euro, then scum would be drinking it. Get over yourselves, Jesus. It is a nice beer. I'm sick of people bashing Dutch Gold and people who choose to drink it, ie, me.

Scum drink it because it is cheap, doesn't mean the beer is inferior quality or taste. It's a European Pilsner, far miles better than Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc and other American lagers. The only difference in cheap beers and expensive ones is largely due to the water used. ie, Guinness and other fancy stuff gets their water from Wicklow Mountains and other cheaper breweries source water from other location, ie midlands regions or hard / limescale water. that's all.

tl;dr version: Dutch Gold not ≠ bad
    Only reason scum drink it is because it is cheap
    Cheap ≠ Bad
    Dutch gold tastes nice

If anyone here bashes Dutch Gold .. have you ever drank a can ??

In fairness OP, I think it's a fairly narrow minded view to say that people look down on those that drink dutch gold because they think they're scumbags. I look down on people that drink dutch gold because I think they must either be scumbags or have an appalling sense of taste. I have tried it along with lots of the cheap beers, and it's right down there with the worst of them. Bavaria and Pratzky are as decent as most of the main brands, and indeed better than many of them. I would think nothing less for seeing someone drinking one of them. I would also look down on someone paying €2 per can for something no better than those they could get for €1 per can, but I'm getting off the point.

I genuinely feel sorry for you though for having such a crap sense of taste. I wish I could loan you mine for a day, just so that you could appreciate an good beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If the idiots that give Dutch Gold a bad name were given a case of Kristal / Dom Perignon they'd get equally wasted and cause just as much trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭shinkansen

OK, I have to get this off my chest. Why do people give you looks when you purchase or drink a can of Dutch gold :( It is a nice Goddamn beer. It has a fresh crisp taste and goes down very well. It is not the cheapest of beers, I have seen cheaper. It tastes very nice (I think so anyway). the only reason (well, I think anyway) it has a bad reputation is because scum bags drink it, then idiots use the excuse .. oh that's a bad beer, scum bags drink it so it must be bad for you ...BOLLOCKS .... the only reason scumbags drink it is because it is cheap, for ffs, if Miller did a deal where they sold 10 cans for a Euro, then scum would be drinking it. Get over yourselves, Jesus. It is a nice beer. I'm sick of people bashing Dutch Gold and people who choose to drink it, ie, me.

Scum drink it because it is cheap, doesn't mean the beer is inferior quality or taste. It's a European Pilsner, far miles better than Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc and other American lagers. The only difference in cheap beers and expensive ones is largely due to the water used. ie, Guinness and other fancy stuff gets their water from Wicklow Mountains and other cheaper breweries source water from other location, ie midlands regions or hard / limescale water. that's all.

tl;dr version: Dutch Gold not ≠ bad
    Only reason scum drink it is because it is cheap
    Cheap ≠ Bad
    Dutch gold tastes nice

If anyone here bashes Dutch Gold .. have you ever drank a can ??

dutch gold is pish......

tasty lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭shinkansen

Erdinger, hoegaarden

now that is beer.

to name just a few.

of course it will be way more expensive, but hey ho./O\

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

A great drink will always be Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I can honestly say, I have never tried it. Usually from the offie I would get Tiger, Peroni, or Kronenberg 1664. If I was in mates house and it was all they had, probably would give it a try.

Pub, its usually Guiness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Ah here, Dutch Gold went out of style with happy hardcore. Karpackie is where it's at now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement