Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Dream Job

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

have done it already, baseball journalist. would dearly love to do it again at some point, but the pay and travel aren't much use when you have a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

McChubbin wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind being paid to talk about movies, video games, books or tv shows in some sort of video blog capacity.
    Only things stopping me from becoming a professional Youtuber is:
    -Lost the USB leads, charger and video editting software for my camcorder during the last big spring clean
    -No close friends to act as editors/lighting crew/producers/directors/camerapeople/etc
    -Awkward demeanor on camera and tendency to stutter/avoid eye contact with the camera
    -What would my parents think?

Video journalism would be pretty neat to do. I mentioned in previous posts that I'd like to be a writer but sometimes my brain processes ideas faster than I can write them down so it would be nice if I could just talk to the camera for hours and get paid for it.

Also, being a professional taste tester for Ben & Jerry's wouldn't be a bad one either!

USB leads? cheap as chips on ebay, same with chargers. software is free if you know where to look, cough.

All you need is a light and a tripod.

Practice your on camera demeanour, or put something above or past the camera to focus on instead of talking into the lens. record yourself and watch and improve before doing it for real.

Stuff em, doing something you enjoy they should be happy.

Mine would be film director, or voiceover work, can do character voices/accents etc and I already talk for a living (kinda) so why not something I want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

A euromillions reciepiant!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Another one that would love to run my own coffee shop in a college town. Had the spot picked in Galway but have never had the capital to do it.

Another one I'd love would be a professional classic car / bike restorer. Have neither the mechanical experience nor the cash to even do it as a hobby but it'd be brilliant to bring old VW Bugs / Type 2's / Alfa Romeos / Moto Guzzis etc. back to factory condition and get paid for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cathalbrophy

Professional Musician

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A civil servant or an admin position in a hospital. At least I'd do the job right.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Well paid radio / music tv personality on shows where the audience is only interested in the music

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'd love to have a Job sweeping Leaves in the Park

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would love to be a race car driver. Although I suspect that despite what people say about doing the work you love you might actually find that turning what you love into a job will only turn your love into hate.

IE: In the case of a race car driver they probably spend a tiny proportion of their time in the car racing, when compared to the huge amount of work that needs to be done in preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

ScumLord wrote: »
    I would love to be a race car driver. Although I suspect that despite what people say about doing the work you love you might actually find that turning what you love into a job will only turn your love into hate.

IE: In the case of a race car driver they probably spend a tiny proportion of their time in the car racing, when compared to the huge amount of work that needs to be done in preparation.
    As someone who recently got involved in this I can verify it is loooong long hours before a car ever sees a track.

More info in my sig if you're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Quazzie wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

A man can dream.

Can't someone just pay me for being awesome?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Quazzie wrote: »
    As someone who recently got involved in this I can verify it is loooong long hours before a car ever sees a track.

More info in my sig if you're interested.
    Ya, that's why that future classics series looks good. Racing license will be got this year. So I can at least pass myself off as a real race car driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I would love to run my own tech company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

That guy that tests advanced weapons from all over the world. Yes please... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

T.V license inspector, gonna catch all ye cyunts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

I wanted to be a woodworker,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

No job, because work is for Horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Smeggy wrote: »
    That's my exact dream job!

Lets go into business :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

A priest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I don't get why anyone would want to become a critic.

To me, it seems like an admission they're not able to do the job they're critiquing and therefore have to become a critic in order to be 'in' that industry.

I know what I'd choose to try and become between actor/director/producer or film critic.

I don't have much respect for critics.

I'd rather read an opinion on what someone on boards thinks of Iron Man 3 than some no talent tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

There's a cinema in my town that's been closed years. I'd love to re-open it as a bar, stocked with a huge range of beers wines and spirits. Run different themed nights, like showing classic movies / Live sports events / Classic or live gigs on the cinema screen have a tapas bar in it too.

Pity i don't have a pot to píss in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I don't get why anyone would want to become a critic.

To me, it seems like an admission they're not able to do the job they're critiquing and therefore have to become a critic in order to be 'in' that industry.

I know what I'd choose to try and become between actor/director/producer or film critic.

I don't have much respect for critics.

I'd rather read an opinion on what someone on boards thinks of Iron Man 3 than some no talent tosser.

Hmmmm, plenty of critics are successful in the field in which they offer their opinion. Just take the Books section of The Sunday Times Culture supplement. The critics here include Dominic Sandbrook, Max Hastings, Bryan Appleyard and Daisy Goodwin - all successful and respected authors in their own right.

And anyway, you don't have to have directed a successful film to know a film sucks donkey balls, you don't have to play guitar to know some guitarist has released an album of tedious noodling....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Steve O wrote: »
    Mila Klunis' masseuse.

I'd rather be her dildo or buttplug

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's a difference?! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'd like to own a cattery, it's a big responsibility though but I'd love it. I would also like to have enough room at said cattery to be able to take in rescue cats and rehome them etc. I've even looked into training as a vet nurse as a step towards this goal but it's a degree programme now and takes four years full time :( As well as the time constraints the fees are just too high for me for the forseeable future (already have a degree so used up my four free years already!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Faolchu wrote: »
    I'd rather be her dildo or buttplug

Classy...

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Hmmmm, plenty of critics are successful in the field in which they offer their opinion. Just take the Books section of The Sunday Times Culture supplement. The critics here include Dominic Sandbrook, Max Hastings, Bryan Appleyard and Daisy Goodwin - all successful and respected authors in their own right.

And anyway, you don't have to have directed a successful film to know a film sucks donkey balls, you don't have to play guitar to know some guitarist has released an album of tedious noodling....

Film critics like Pauline Kael or even Mark Kermode or say Charlie Brooker, who are critics but do their own stuff as well, much more respect for them than angry fanboys or no nothing newspaper critics, some film critics genuinely don't seem to like films, it baffles me.

If I had the money I'd build a proper old school cinema, real art deco style, was in one in LA and it was gorgeous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Classy...

Some bloke you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Working with dogs. Training, daycare etc.

Advertisement