Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Dream Job

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

gg2 wrote: »
    I would love to own my own little coffee shop, selling homemade cakes and pastries, combined with selling 2nd hand books.... Have looked into it but would just never be able to get the money together to start up. One can dream.

I'd shop there!:)

I'd like to work in radio somehow. Either the production side or as a presenter. Someday. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

And heres a question: Why haven't you got your dream job? or are you trying?

I've my dream job for the last few years, an artist (photographic) with my own galleries...but my 2nd fave would've been a Dublin bay lobster potter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Had the chance at my dream job taken away by the government when I was told I wasn't eligible for Jobbridge coz I am a single parent. It was as a news broadcaster in a local radio station. Impossible to get in and get trained now since they are doing the Jobbridge thingy.

Pretty much anything media or writing is where I want to be and am kinda moving closer to that with a new course I will be doing in Web design and digital marketing.

Other than media I would love to take on John Delaney's job as he is making such a feck up of it and I would ensure that LOI clubs got more attention than the spoilt overpaid Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Formula 1 driver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Famous dj.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I already have a dream job. I get paid to sit on my arse all day and write stuff. And I can work whenever I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

I join the nypd, ,fdny, play for the mighty duck or new York rangers.

Owen a million dollar company

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

gg2 wrote: »
    I would love to own my own little coffee shop, selling homemade cakes and pastries, combined with selling 2nd hand books.... Have looked into it but would just never be able to get the money together to start up. One can dream.

That's my exact dream job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

In a world where everything's gone wrong stars one man whose sole ambition is to make right all of which has gone wrong.

Rated 18; Box Office Sensation.

I want to be that guy.

Or a Euromillions winner. That'd be a nice job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Airitech

Research mathematician

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Susan Boyle anal inspector, ummmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    I managed the money fine working full time and training part-time over four years, it's watching kids who are getting Mommy and Daddy to pay 30000 for jobs is what killed it for me.

My bank-account does not meet the job requirements:mad:
    At least you gave it a shot, so you don't have to live with the 'what if'.

I honestly have no idea, but I imagine whatever it is would get boring like any other job after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

TV license inspector. Those guys are magic. They've heard the all the excuses and speak Chinese!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭omega man

zega wrote: »
    Record store owner

Like the one in high fidelity.........championship vinyl. Hire my friends and Would only sell certain records to those I like! Would want a load of cash in my account with that business model mind you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Personal physio to Paul Galvin and/ or Tommy Bowe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Rasheed wrote: »
    Personal physio to Paul Galvin and/ or Tommy Bowe.

You could try but there'd be a lineout the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Steve O wrote: »
    You could try but there'd be a lineout the door.

Don't ruin my dream Stevie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

What's stopping you from being a paramedic? :)

Sorry for the late reply.

To put it simply. No opportunities in Ireland. Only way to train is through the HSE or DFB when they recruit, and they havent recruited in years. There is a gigantic backlog of people and past applicants, its a hugely competitive career path with few positions going.

Currently looking abroad and applying in the UK to various places. Had 1 interview this year, :) now I got to wait until next year to apply again if I dont get this. Fingers crossed I do! Only 15 places going and 1500 applicants :eek:

Was looking at going to Australia to study, $23000 fees a year + $18000 living expensives for international students....for 3-4 years..thats a lot of money I dont have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I wouldn't mind being paid to talk about movies, video games, books or tv shows in some sort of video blog capacity.
    Only things stopping me from becoming a professional Youtuber is:
    -Lost the USB leads, charger and video editting software for my camcorder during the last big spring clean
    -No close friends to act as editors/lighting crew/producers/directors/camerapeople/etc
    -Awkward demeanor on camera and tendency to stutter/avoid eye contact with the camera
    -What would my parents think?

Video journalism would be pretty neat to do. I mentioned in previous posts that I'd like to be a writer but sometimes my brain processes ideas faster than I can write them down so it would be nice if I could just talk to the camera for hours and get paid for it.

Also, being a professional taste tester for Ben & Jerry's wouldn't be a bad one either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Run a smallholding, few pigs, chickens, goats and maybe a cow or two. Grow veg & herbs.

Then cook them up and sell them in a small bistro-type restaurant.

Perhaps with some "special" herbs out the back too...

And a mini-brewery/cider press.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Librarian.

I used to be one back in Germany, in a lovely public library, and I loved absolutely everything about it.
    I fully intended finding a position as librarian again when I moved here, but found it wasn't as easy as that, many libraries require people to be able to speak Gaelic, and when I first got to Ireland I couldn't find any affordable courses teaching adult beginners.
    I started working in IT and found I didn't mind it, so I stuck with it. I still don't mind it, but I sometimes wish I had stuck with it and was still working in libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Anything that would allow me to sing every single day. I'd love to be in a Broadway show or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Keyboard voice joystick throttle wand wii gizmo steering wheel analogue digital any COMPUTER INPUT DEVICE TESTER.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I'd love to be that guy behind the desk/in the booth that pushes the button to start a roller coaster. I'd have a fake lever with wires coming from it and just as the carraiges move away I'd look all worried while holding up the lever and shouting Oh Shít!!!! You know, for the extra excitment and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Presenter on Top Gear.
    Presenter on Mythbusters.
    Travel Writer.
    Professional Musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

A Train Driver or Deputy General Secretary of the Civil Public & Services Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

beer taster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Sorry for the late reply.

To put it simply. No opportunities in Ireland. Only way to train is through the HSE or DFB when they recruit, and they havent recruited in years. There is a gigantic backlog of people and past applicants, its a hugely competitive career path with few positions going.

Currently looking abroad and applying in the UK to various places. Had 1 interview this year, :) now I got to wait until next year to apply again if I dont get this. Fingers crossed I do! Only 15 places going and 1500 applicants :eek:

Was looking at going to Australia to study, $23000 fees a year + $18000 living expensives for international students....for 3-4 years..thats a lot of money I dont have

Speak of the devil!! http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/7636.htm

Too bad I dont have the C1 licence :mad::(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The Vice President of a company.

No wait. Junior Vice President

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A civil servant or an admin position in a hospital. At least I'd do the job right.

Advertisement