Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying mispronunciation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Sparkrite

People who say "I should of done......" or "I would of done......." instead of saying "I should have done...." and "I would have done.......".

Worse still are the people who actually write it like the former, how can they possibly think it makes any sense at all?

Another one is the herb Thyme being pronounced as Thime. It is an exception to the "TH" rule.

And just one more, for the time being anyway, people who say...."Yes he thought me at school....".

Last one, defin I tly, where does the extra syllable come from when "ty" is added to "safe" ? As in "safe eh tee" instead of "safe tee" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

van GO

just no!

I get annoyed at football commentators who mispronounce names, surely it's not that hard to do a little bit of work before a game if you're unsure...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

maybe more of a grammar question but -my daughter must write a pretend letter of complaint for her English class and the teacher gave the class the first few lines ,which includes this part ".....a game entitled "titian fall".... ./To my eyes the use of the word entitled looks wrong in this case and the word- titled-should be used instead imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

kingchess wrote: »
    maybe more of a grammar question but -my daughter must write a pretend letter of complaint for her English class and the teacher gave the class the first few lines ,which includes this part ".....a game entitled "titian fall".... ./To my eyes the use of the word entitled looks wrong in this case and the word- titled-should be used instead imo.

Hi kingchess!

As far as I know, you can use both entitled and titled in the place of named. So you're both right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Sparkrite wrote: »
    People who say "I should of done......" or "I would of done......." instead of saying "I should have done...." and "I would have done.......".

Worse still are the people who actually write it like the former, how can they possibly think it makes any sense at all

Thanks for the grammar lesson, underlining and all!

Very few people enunciate 'should have', the majority contract it to 'should've'. Dropping the h and a naturally leaves an 'ev/of' sound, or even 'a' as in "should, woulda, coulda" ... It's completely wrong obviously, but it makes sense to write 'should of', as people are just writing it down as they hear it. I regularly find that students are completely unaware that the phrase is actually 'should have. '

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

kingchess wrote: »

Entitled is right. They both are. I would use entitled but I'm told it's the less common form nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't know if this has been said but GARDAI is NOT pronounced Goooordeee.
    If ever there was a time for media outlets to learn a flat a this is the word for it!:mad:

It's "Gar-dee" NOT Goooooordeeeee

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

People sure do get worked up about others' (quite valid) pronunciations if they are different from their own...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Thanks for the grammar lesson, underlining and all!

Very few people enunciate 'should have', the majority contract it to 'should've'. Dropping the h and a naturally leaves an 'ev/of' sound, or even 'a' as in "should, woulda, coulda" ... It's completely wrong obviously, but it makes sense to write 'should of', as people are just writing it down as they hear it. I regularly find that students are completely unaware that the phrase is actually 'should have. '

I agree with the first half about it being contracted when speaking into 'should've' but there's no justification for writing "should of" I know you weren't doing so but saying it makes sense it sort of redundant. It makes sense that people don't know the difference between 'you're' and 'your', because they're writing how they hear it. It's wrong. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

danrua01 wrote: »
    van GO

just no!

Do you use this pronunciation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Van Gogh signed all his paintings "Vincent", because he thought that French prospective purchasers would be unable to pronounce "Van Gogh".

He was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Eeeeeeeeeeeebola.

Only appears to be Rte One as usual though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Eeeeeeeeeeeebola.

Only appears to be Rte One as usual though.
    Ébola (with an accent) is the name (in French) of a river and a district in northwestern Zaire where an outbreak of a particular haemorrhagic fever was noted in 1976. Up to that point the fever had been known as “green monkey fever”, but since then Ebola fever (without an accent) has been the usual name (in English) of the disease.

English is, of course, full of words taken from French, and it is not customary to retain the French pronunciation -- especially when accents are dropped. The first syllable of the English word can be pronounced either with the vowel sound from fleece or with the vowel sound from square; both are regarded as acceptable.

Regardless of which vowel sound is used, the stress goes on the seciond syllable.

Do you use this pronunciation?

ah i'll have to look at that when i'm not at work...unless you wanna give me a wee phonetic pronunciation..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

ah i'll have to look at that when i'm not at work...unless you wanna give me a wee phonetic pronunciation..

Picture two occurrences of a high-phlegm version of the ch sound you get in Irish words like "loch".

mackerski wrote: »
    Picture two occurrences of a high-phlegm version of the ch sound you get in Irish words like "loch".

Almost! I've heard Dutch speakers say it HALF like that, but the last syllable was definitely more of an 'ff' sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Bockel instead of bottle and "ions" pronounced "ins" - such people should be taken out and publicly flayed - millins and millins of times :P

Almost! I've heard Dutch speakers say it HALF like that, but the last syllable was definitely more of an 'ff' sound.

Two things:

There's only one syllable

No it wasn't. If anything, a Dutch gh is harsher than th g. In the Netherlands anyway - Belgium is rather different.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...No it wasn't. If anything, a Dutch gh is harsher than th g. In the Netherlands anyway - Belgium is rather different.

Dutch is just German-While-High. :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Dutch is just German-While-High. :pac:

Jonathan Swift, in Gulliver's travels, refers to both High- (meaning German) and Low- (meaning Nederlands) Dutch. Funny how word meanings change.

• Advertisement

Two things:

There's only one syllable

No it wasn't. If anything, a Dutch gh is harsher than th g. In the Netherlands anyway - Belgium is rather different.

Syllable was the wrong word but you understood what I meant.

I'm not saying it was an F sound, like our F sound, but sounded more like that to me. It's incorrect to say it wasn't- that's what it SOUNDED like to me.

Syllable was the wrong word but you understood what I meant.

I'm not saying it was an F sound, like our F sound, but sounded more like that to me. It's incorrect to say it wasn't- that's what it SOUNDED like to me.

I have to concede that point, indeed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I have to concede that point, indeed ;)

Ah good, I'll get ye a pint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

CaraMay wrote: »
    Yeah but they say dis sipline
    As opposed to.....

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    As opposed to.....

As opposed to that-ipline... which is, not this-ipline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I don't know if this has been said but GARDAI is NOT pronounced Goooordeee.
    If ever there was a time for media outlets to learn a flat a this is the word for it!:mad:

It's "Gar-dee" NOT Goooooordeeeee
    pronounced 'c*nt of a gard' down my way.

I'm gonna save myself some time and just say words/names with accents, umlauts, stresses, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Fafasmurf

Pissent.... THE WORD IS PERCENT PEOPLE!

Bryan Dobson has said it, Lord Pat Kenny has said it, nearly all economic correspondants and newsreaders say it... Ministers say it. And it really really really really annoys me!

The other one is tongue. There is NO 'h' in tongue... it's not 'My thongue is sore' it's 'My tongue is sore'....

I need a drink.....

Advertisement