Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying mispronunciation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Quinoa...pronounced keen-owah by anyone I've ever heard pronounce it from south american countries where it originates.

I think the confusion and attempts to be hyper correct are caused by the soft "o", it's sort of under pronounced with the emphasis on the first and 3rd syllables, that said it is present and does not get skipped or turned into another sound.

Simple enough, don't understand the fuss.

Thighland (thailand) and thompson (pronouncing the "h") are just clumsy attempts to change the english language which should be a sackable / stoning offence in public broadcasting and punishable by corporal punishment for anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

But it's fun to mock all the pronunciations of quinoa!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Irish people's pronunciation of Sunderland and Birmingham :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Foster's Avenue beside Belfield. It's Foster Avenue. The sign on the road clearly says 'Foster Avenue'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Foster's Avenue beside Belfield. It's Foster Avenue. The sign on the road clearly says 'Foster Avenue'.

Is that near Tesco's?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Racism - rayshism! :(

Sexual - sexooal!! :( - Anne Doyle and Pat Kenny are the only people I have heard
    using this pronunciation, so it must be right!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Purr-zhoh for Peugeot. There's no 'r' in it.

Pew-joe is better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Purr-zhoh for Peugeot. There's no 'r' in it.

Pew-joe is better.

It's French and pronounced closer to Purr-zhoh than Pew-joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

It's French and pronounced closer to Purr-zhoh than Pew-joe

What about the R sound?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    What about the R sound?

I blame that on Jeremy Clarkson's pronunciation (or just English accents). It's pronounced Puh-zhoh, but like how Doherty becomes Dockerty in England, they drop an R in to make it easier to pronounce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    What about the R sound?

'Peuple' or 'Soeur' are probably the handiest examples you will find, while there is no R, the letters e and u together form an 'oou' sound, and that last u is often slightly transformed into an r.

It is most certainly not pronounced Pew-joe :pac:

I blame that on Jeremy Clarkson's pronunciation (or just English accents). It's pronounced Puh-zhoh, but like how Doherty becomes Dockerty in England, they drop an R in to make it easier to pronounce.

When said in a French accent there's a very, very subtle 'r' sound which the English tend to amplify when they bother with the French pronunciation but not with the accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

When said in a French accent there's a very, very subtle 'r' sound which the English tend to amplify when they bother with the French pronunciation but not with the accent.

No there isn't. French doesn't even have an R sound like ours. The sound you're describing is made in the front of the mouth, R sounds are made in the back.

mackerski wrote: »
    No there isn't. French doesn't even have an R sound like ours. The sound you're describing is made in the front of the mouth, R sounds are made in the back.

There is. Its sounds like an 'r' made by someone who can't make the 'r' sound. Imagine Jonathan Ross trying to say Purr-zhoe and then put it in a French accent. In fairness it's a difficult discussion to have in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

There's definitely no R sound, peh-zho, with an accent on the o is how it is... confirmed by plenty of French people around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There is. Its sounds like an 'r' made by someone who can't make the 'r' sound. Imagine Jonathan Ross trying to say Purr-zhoe and then put it in a French accent. In fairness it's a difficult discussion to have in writing
    There's no r-sound in anything Jonathan Ross says. Saying that Peugeot contains the r-sound that Jonathan Ross uses is just a roundabout way of saying that it contains no r-sound at all.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    There's no r-sound in anything Jonathan Ross says. Saying that Peugeot contains the r-sound that Jonathan Ross uses is just a roundabout way of saying that it contains no r-sound at all.

Or maybe meaning it should be PEWOO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

I hate when people pronounce Samuel L.Jacksons name and dont pronounce the middle L. Really pisses me off grrrrr

Peregrinus wrote: »

OK well the way I say it, puh-zho, running it all together with a french accent there is the slightest hint of an 'r'.
    deadybai wrote: »
    I hate when people pronounce Samuel L.Jacksons name and dont pronounce the middle L. Really pisses me off grrrrr

You mean when they call him Samuel Jackson? I don't get it

You mean when they call him Samuel Jackson? I don't get it

It's when they say it fast and it sounds like Sam UL Jackson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

When people pronounce awkward something a kin to orchward

When people pronounce awkward something a kin to orchward

totes orchy momo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

People who say Awe-di instead of Ow-di

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I read about this in Bill Bryson's "A Short History Of Nearly Everything", if I remember correctly it was actually named twice by the guy who discovered it. I think he first called it 'aluminum' before changing it to 'aluminium' so it would fit in with the other elements. It could be the other way around, but I suppose technically, both are correct in a way

EDIT: I found the excerpt. I got it slightly wrong. According to Bryson 'aluminium' was invented by the Brits so it would fit in so therefore it would seem that, in this instance, the Yanks are right … or at least, not exactly wrong

How do we feel about platinum? Where did the second I go there?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

People who say Awe-di instead of Ow-di

very true it's annoying - I wonder how it's supposed to sound - how would a German say it???

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

V Eight wrote: »
    very true it's annoying - I wonder how it's supposed to sound - how would a German say it???

I was just about to say this aswell. My neighbour called it to my car and I told him to learn to speak ****ing properly!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

V Eight wrote: »
    Ow-di.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Liqueur. Heard it pronounced as 'lickoor', admittedly on a US programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Tim Vine joke:

So this cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says "Audi!"

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/peoplejokes/comedianjokes/timvinejokes.html

• Advertisement

Eeden wrote: »
    Tim Vine joke:

So this cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says "Audi!"

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/peoplejokes/comedianjokes/timvinejokes.html

Haha! So bad but so good.

Advertisement