Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying mispronunciation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Why are certain Irish radio announcers now pronouncing Gibraltar as Gibraltah??? I know the British pronunciation would make it sound like that, but not an Irish accent, surely?? Am I missing something?
    To enamour yourself to the locals, pronounce it like this ;)

Edit: I mean the Spanish pronunciation. I didn't realise there were more on that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,903 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why are certain Irish radio announcers now pronouncing Gibraltar as Gibraltah??? I know the British pronunciation would make it sound like that, but not an Irish accent, surely?? Am I missing something?

Maybe you are mishearing it. I know I would struggle to hear the difference in normal speech. It could be caused by the fact that the stress is on the second sylllable and the the Tar bit at the end is not prounounced with the elongated A which features in the pronunciation of the word Tar. That makes it sound more like Tah.

I've said before a few times, but I have to say again. Please everyone, THOMAS...ignore that H when you say it.

Thom Yorke - TOM.
    Thomas Müller - TOMAS Müller (Also, Müller is not pronounced Muller...it's more like Mueller. For the player and the yogurt! In fact, "Mueller" is an accepted English spelling if you have to remove the umlauts).

And for the love of God, THAMES is pronounced "Tems". That's it. Nothing fancy.

Danke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Maybe you are mishearing it. I know I would struggle to hear the difference in normal speech. It could be caused by the fact that the stress is on the second sylllable and the the Tar bit at the end is not prounounced with the elongated A which features in the pronunciation of the word Tar. That makes it sound more like Tah.

To my ears, the '-errr' sound you would expect a person with an Irish accent to make at the end of that particular word is missing. There is a definite '-ahh' sound in its place. Or maybe it's the same person I'm hearing, saying it several times. I think it may be a sportscaster saying it, actually!....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

KungPao wrote: »
    I've said before a few times, but I have to say again. Please everyone, THOMAS...ignore that H when you say it.

Thom Yorke - TOM.
    Thomas Müller - TOMAS Müller (Also, Müller is not pronounced Muller...it's more like Mueller. For the player and the yogurt! In fact, "Mueller" is an accepted English spelling if you have to remove the umlauts).

Danke.

Er, wha? There's a 'h' in it, I pronounce the 'h'. It annoys me to hear 'de' for 'the.' I'm from the West of Ireland, living in the North West and 'de' just sounds uneducated to me.

If Thom Yorke is really 'Tom', then why on earth was he not called 'Tom'? I'll give you the Thomas Muller one, as it's a different language.

Not every Irish person is incapable of pronouncing the 'th' sound!

• Advertisement

Er, wha? There's a 'h' in it, I pronounce the 'h'. It annoys me to hear 'de' for 'the.' I'm from the West of Ireland, living in the North West and 'de' just sounds uneducated to me.

If Thom Yorke is really 'Tom', then why on earth was he not called 'Tom'? I'll give you the Thomas Muller one, as it's a different language.

Not every Irish person is incapable of pronouncing the 'th' sound!
    There is an H in it, but believe me, it's silent.

Irish people tend to overcompensate for what you mention (the 'th' issue), so you get people making a mess of some words like:

Thomas (Tomas)
    Thames (Tems)
    Thyme (Time)
    Thailand (Tieland)

*In brackets is the correct way to pronounce these*

The H is silent in these words. Simple as that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

To my ears, the '-errr' sound you would expect a person with an Irish accent to make at the end of that particular word is missing. There is a definite '-ahh' sound in its place. Or maybe it's the same person I'm hearing, saying it several times. I think it may be a sportscaster saying it, actually!....

I agree. It has been annoying me too! Thought perhaps that Gibraltah might be the
    actual word, for some reason!! ;) Heard Aiden on IrelandAM saying it the other
    morning - it sounded soooo weird!!

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I agree. It has been annoying me too! Thought perhaps that Gibraltah might be the
    actual word, for some reason!! ;) Heard Aiden on IrelandAM saying it the other
    morning - it sounded soooo weird!!

And even more annoying they keep saying Gib rawl tah. Since when did ral become rawl? Probably should be a J at the start as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

You are correct, although saying the h is silent isn't quite accurate. 'th' is a digraph, so the 'h' isn't analysed separately to be silent or not. Rather the 'th' is archaic and the words now start with 't' in speech. Just as how "through" no longer ends with 'gh' in speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Uge instead of huge

Milon instead of million

Egzilarator instead of accelerator.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thom Yorke - TOM.

Danke.

Look at the tiny wee H there
    wikipedia wrote:
    Thomas Müller (German pronunciation: [ˈtʰoː.mas ˈmʏ.lɐ]; born 13 September 1989)

Look at the tiny wee H there
    Well I'll be damned! Still, it's tiny, the guy on RTE, Tony O'Donoghue, makes it a much bigger H.

And in English, there is no H.

But point taken.

Uge instead of huge

Milon instead of million

Egzilarator instead of accelerator.

Nothing wrong with uge, standard pronunciation.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=huge&submit=Submit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

There is an H in it, but believe me, it's silent.

Irish people tend to overcompensate for what you mention (the 'th' issue), so you get people making a mess of some words like:

Thomas (Tomas)
    Thames (Tems)
    Thyme (Time)
    Thailand (Tieland)

*In brackets is the correct way to pronounce these*

We may be here for a Whhhhhile? Cool wHip!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

Well I'll be damned! Still, it's tiny, the guy on RTE, Tony O'Donoghue, makes it a much bigger H.

And in English, there is no H.

But point taken.
    There also a bit different. The 'th' in pickarooney's IPA above indicates post-aspiration, again not a 'h' sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Nothing wrong with uge, standard pronunciation.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=huge&submit=Submit

Ah no not you too. There's a h in huge.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah no not you too. There's a h in huge.:)

Is it herbs or erbs?

(I vote herbs but I bet there'll be contrary views!)

And is it haitch or aitch???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is it herbs or erbs?

(I vote herbs but I bet there'll be contrary views!)

And is it haitch or aitch???

Herbs and aitch. Because reasons....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Why are certain Irish radio announcers now pronouncing Gibraltar as Gibraltah???

Gorthee (Gardai) is bad enough but just wait until you hear the RTE pronunciation of Kuala Lumpar! It's even worse than their pronunciation of Cor'irk (Cork).

And this is more an accent thing and, in particular, a culchie accent thing, but when culchies are speaking a number, why do they almost whisper the most important part of it, shout other parts of it and pronounce "hundred" like a World War One description of a German mudpool? E.g. Two Hundurt and farty sivvin.

BrensBenz, Oar Tee Ee, Dublun. The only person I know with no accent whatsoever. Why can't everyone be more like me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭niamhstokes

People who pronounce Fianna Fáil like 'finn-ah fall' ... it's 'fee-ah-na foyle'.... i went to gaelscoil so maybe this is why it bothers me cuz i know its wrong LOL

• Advertisement

People who pronounce Fianna Fáil like 'finn-ah fall' ... it's 'fee-ah-na foyle'.... i went to gaelscoil so maybe this is why it bothers me cuz i know its wrong LOL
    A lot of people say fine gale (as in a nice strong wind) as well.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Gorthee (Gardai) is bad enough but just wait until you hear the RTE pronunciation of Kuala Lumpar! It's even worse than their pronunciation of Cor'irk (Cork).

And this is more an accent thing and, in particular, a culchie accent thing, but when culchies are speaking a number, why do they almost whisper the most important part of it, shout other parts of it and pronounce "hundred" like a World War One description of a German mudpool? E.g. Two Hundurt and farty sivvin.

BrensBenz, Oar Tee Ee, Dublun. The only person I know with no accent whatsoever. Why can't everyone be more like me?

You are certainly unique with your makey-up phonetics for Cork. I can't get my head or my tongue round that. On a serious note it is a useless exercise in many cases for people to post their makey-up phonetics which do not convey to the reader how they are hearing a word. For instance apart from your Cork I don't know how Ee sounds to you. Is it just like the letter E?

There are standard phonetics which people can use. Like shown here for the word Phonetics.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/phonetic

And the internet is full of audio pronunciations. You can check the pronunciation in British English for the letter R below. I can't say I have heard anyone in RTE deviating too much from that. But then again they are pronouncing an acronym derived from Irish, not English, so that may account for any perceived difference.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=r&submit=Submit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭niamhstokes

A lot of people say fine gale (as in a nice strong wind) as well.

OMG yeah i hate that too haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Statute pronounced as Statue and moot pronounced as mute

MF insisting on pronouncing Ebola as ebbola! :(

MF insisting on pronouncing Ebola as ebbola! :(

MF whoever he or she is has a fan on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikNZ83FoefA

MF whoever he or she is has a fan on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikNZ83FoefA

'Cambridge Dictionaries Online' does not concur with that YouTube pronunciation
    of Ebola.

MF = Marian Finucane ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Peeeza supposed to be pizza but that's my 74 year old dad for ya. :D haha

'Cambridge Dictionaries Online' does not concur with that YouTube pronunciation
    of Ebola.

MF = Marian Finucane ;)

It gets the name from a river in Zaire. So the local pronunciation there would be my first reference. Not that I know what it is. Compare it to the pronunciation of Ebony, it is not unreasonable to apply that first syllable stress to Ebola. But it's all about usage and like thousands of other words it may finish up with two accepted standard pronunciations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭LUZ

havent read all 31 pages but i hate it when people say Peugeot "Pew-joe" when its actually "Purrr-schow"
    on the theme of cars, i thought hyundai was easy to pronounce until i heard an ad saying HIunDYE instead of hyUNdai....
    also the ad on the radio at the moment talking about tire tread depth, and hes saying "thread" instead of tread drives me bonkers. along with the usual heighTH/height thing. aaarghhh!! can't people read or spell anymore?????!!!

Advertisement