Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying mispronunciation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

When i was in school, i knew a load of Keane's pronounced caine. Then all of a sudden one or two started calling themselves Keane ( keen ) and now 'caines' are all gone...!

I blame Lorraine rindabite Keane...AA Roadwatch...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

LUZ wrote: »
    havent read all 31 pages but i hate it when people say Peugeot "Pew-joe" when its actually "Purrr-schow"

No it isn't. Where would you get an "R" sound from? French doesn't even have such a sound.

But you're half right, because it's not Pew Joe either.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayquinn1

Probably mentioned before but expresso instead of espresso

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

mackerski wrote: »
    No it isn't. Where would you get an "R" sound from? French doesn't even have such a sound.

Getting it from the english who put an r after a vowel sound
    That's not right either

I do say pewschow though. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

havent read all 31 pages but i hate it when people say Peugeot "Pew-joe" when its actually "Purrr-schow"
    on the theme of cars, i thought hyundai was easy to pronounce until i heard an ad saying HIunDYE instead of hyUNdai....
    also the ad on the radio at the moment talking about tire tread depth, and hes saying "thread" instead of tread drives me bonkers. along with the usual heighTH/height thing. aaarghhh!! can't people read or spell anymore?????!!!

Not all words retain their native language pronunciation when transferred into English. An example would be Paris. French pronunciation Paree, English pronunciation Par is. The same follows for words like Peugeot and Hyundai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

Pattren instead of pattern, we have friends who say it and the first few times I had to work out what they were on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭LUZ

'peu' in french then, i dont know what the phonetic for that is, but surely people can pronounce it properly?? i dont get it. its not really a translation, its a direct brand name.

'peu' in french then, i dont know what the phonetic for that is, but surely people can pronounce it properly?? i dont get it. its not really a translation, its a direct brand name.

Yes, agreed on both fronts. If a bloke called Stefan comes here there's no reason to insist on calling him Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭LUZ

Not all words retain their native language pronunciation when transferred into English. An example would be Paris. French pronunciation Paree, English pronunciation Par is. The same follows for words like Peugeot and Hyundai.

and tenerife. but peugeot is a brand so should be pronounced properly! im being pedantic but its annoying!!

Brand name, place name, family name it doesn't matter. There can be an English pronunciation which differs from the local language. A well known recent example is Fukushima the Japanese nuclear site. Japanese pronunciation is Fu Koosh e ma. English pronunciation Fook u shee ma. Not wrong just different.

• Advertisement

Brand name, place name, family name it doesn't matter. There can be an English pronunciation which differs from the local language. A well known recent example is Fukushima the Japanese nuclear site. Japanese pronunciation is Fu Koosh e ma. English pronunciation Fook u shee ma. Not wrong just different.

So who decides on the "English" pronunciation? Do we get to vote?

So who decides on the "English" pronunciation? Do we get to vote?

I would allow a company like Hyundai to use whatever they like. Media organisations like the BBC have pronunciation guides for staff. The rest of us don't get a vote, it is just usage, custom and practice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is that a 'sch' like in schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

kristian12 wrote: »
    Pattren instead of pattern, we have friends who say it and the first few times I had to work out what they were on about.

The self appointed authority on all matters pertaining to accents and evolving English is NOT going to be happy with your post. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jillymayr

fulfill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The 'posh' way people say donkey as DONG (rhymes with BONG) key and monkey as MONG (rhymes with BONG) key.
    The way culchies pronounce swallow as swolly and swan as schwan (rhymes with fan) and bar as baaarrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

on the theme of cars, i thought hyundai was easy to pronounce until i heard an ad saying HIunDYE instead of hyUNdai....
    also the ad on the radio at the moment talking about tire tread depth, and hes saying "thread" instead of tread drives me bonkers. along with the usual heighTH/height thing. aaarghhh!! can't people read or spell anymore?????!!!

The Hyun in Hyundai should rhyme with Fionn, it's kind of hee-un squashed into one syllable

It has probably been mentioned already but that bloody Rachel Allen one and her toosties and her pestoooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It has probably been mentioned already but that bloody Rachel Allen one and her toosties and her pestoooo.

I can just about handle the toosties and pestoooo, but what makes me fling my Jimmy Beam bottle at the tellybox is the "Bisha Busher". Kill!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Alun wrote: »
    Tyre.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

With all this godawful mispronunciation I don't know why I listen to people at all. :rolleyes:

The 'posh' way people say donkey as DONG (rhymes with BONG) key and monkey as MONG (rhymes with BONG) key.
    The way culchies pronounce swallow as swolly and swan as schwan (rhymes with fan) and bar as baaarrr.

Eh? How do you want us to pronounce "donkey"?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

I would reckon this has been said already but I HATE HATE HATE the way all RTE news announcers say 'finance'. They say it with a short i and it drives me nuts. I've looked it up and it is F-EYE-NANCE, so just stop it RTE!!! It makes my blood boil!!!! Raaaaaaarrr.

Teacher23 wrote: »
    I would reckon this has been said already but I HATE HATE HATE the way all RTE news announcers say 'finance'. They say it with a short i and it drives me nuts. I've looked it up and it is F-EYE-NANCE, so just stop it RTE!!! It makes my blood boil!!!! Raaaaaaarrr.

You looked it up where? You do realise that in English thousands of words have more than one pronunciation accepted as standard? Let other people use their preferred pronunciation and don't get so upset.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=finance&submit=Submit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Sometimes I wonder if I live in a different country to the posters on this thread.

I'm from the West of Ireland (not posh) and we say 'dong-key', in Donegal it's 'dunkey'. Who the hell says 'mong-key'? I've never heard that. Despite the similar spelling, monkey and donkey are not supposed to rhyme.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

I know, I'm totally irrational, and you're right, it actually is listed as a way to pronounce it! My mistake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

weird the post above ended up in wrong thread and I cant edit it now.

weird the post above ended up in wrong thread and I cant edit it now.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

;)

Thank you.

Advertisement