Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameron to curb welfare entitlements for migrants - Should Ireland follow suit?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

RasTa wrote: »
    70? You sure about that considering there are only 195 countries in the world.

I linked to it and mentioned it in my opening piece.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/provision-of-social-housing-for-noneu-nationals-queried-27814910.html

There you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

For a state to have any meaning, its citizens must come first. They must have rights over non citizens and immigration must be measured as by how it can benefit the citizen - not how it can benefit the non citizen.

Your ideology reminds me of several dictators. How about some compassion and respect for all humans? Asylum seekers do not come for the craic, they are generally fleeing war torn or famine stricken countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 teatreeshamble

Benefits should be cut for all long term unemployed who don't have a valid, citizen voted reason. Get rid of the entitlement culture. Waiting lists for housing, medical and anything else should be dished out to those who have paid the most tax in the preceding years, regardless of nationality.

Sick of freeloaders who just don't want to work.

UK unemployed survive on £71 (over 25 y.o.) a week yet Ireland sees fit to pay €188 (over 25 y.o.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Oh the independent, lol.

Anyway if you read the article it states we pay 520m per year on RSA. That should be scrapped tomorrow.

We would save at max 5m with what you are suggesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

And Fingal is the richer culturally for their presence.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

For a state to have any meaning, its citizens must come first. They must have rights over non citizens and immigration must be measured as by how it can benefit the citizen - not how it can benefit the non citizen.

I'm more concerned with the future. What's done is done and we cannot now removed rights or benefits of those in the country. We need to crack down on fraud and limit immigration going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

As i asked already how much is this costing the Irish state every year? People are sick of freeloaders coming into the country getting free bed and board three meals a day and allowances for their kids to go to school while you have families struggling to make ends meet.
    refugee= displaced person, not free loader they didn't chose to leave they had to
    And if we repatriated the vast majority of them, like we should have, and not allowed them play the system - 70 different nationalities wouldnt be on fingal county councils housing list.
    its not asylum seekers on the housing list

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

make all there social welfare payment rates relevant to their native country. cant be fairer then that.

Prodigious wrote: »
    Your ideology reminds me of several dictators. How about some compassion and respect for all humans? Asylum seekers do not come for the craic, they are generally fleeing war torn or famine stricken countries.

The facts prove that to be a lie. A previous secretary general of the minstry for justice, a Mr. Sean Aylward, claimed that the vast majority of asylum seekers in Ireland were economic migrants lying through their teeth. He claimed we got 70, 000 asylum seekers during his tenure, yet, only 2, 600 were repatriated.

fozz10 wrote: »
    make all there social welfare payment rates relevant to their native country. cant be fairer then that.

How is that fair in any way? Pay a polish man the minimum wage that he would receive in Poland and he wouldn't be able to afford basic necessities over here.

• Advertisement

make all there social welfare payment rates relevant to their native country. cant be unfairer then that.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Not if you are the poor sap getting up at the crack of dawn every morning to pay your own mortgage and their welfare to boot.
    even if their were no foreign nationals in ireland you would still be getting up at the crack of dawn to pay your mortgage and pay someone elses welfare

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

How is that fair in any way? Pay a polish man the minimum wage that he would receive in Poland and he wouldn't be able to afford basic necessities over here.

not there wages. wages are EARNED

And Fingal is the richer culturally for their presence.:)

Poorer fiscally.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 teatreeshamble

That's just dumb. These people aren't freeloaders. If they've paid tax here/are still paying tax, then they should get the same perks of residence as "native" Irish.
    Being on the housing list could also mean they are in low paid jobs i.e. still paying tax. Plenty of other people(Irish or not) should get their benefits/entitlements cut first.

and when there stamp runs out after 12 months? who pays it then

and when there stamp runs out after 12 months? who pays it then
    Stamps haven't existed since the late 70's when they were replaced with PRSI and it runs out after 9 months, not that you actually get anything for it anymore.

That's just dumb. These people aren't freeloaders. If they've paid tax here/are still paying tax, then they should get the same perks of residence as "native" Irish.
    Being on the housing list could also mean they are in low paid jobs i.e. still paying tax. Plenty of other people(Irish or not) should get their benefits/entitlements cut first.

If you migrate to another country, pay your way and respect the law of the land. I dont really care about integration and your religous beliefs.

Cant pay your way - slan leat.

Other than in the UK, where would an Irish lad be able to move to another country, work a minimum wage job and got hooked up with a nice free abode?

We are broke. We cant house anyone and everyone who rocks on up here.

not there wages. wages are EARNED

I'm pointing out that any payments relative to their home countries are low in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

SEVENTEEN BILLION EURO (half our tax take) is what this country spends on welfare. I dont know how much we spend on migrants out of that but I would suggest that while we have to keep cutting the pay of our Gardai, nurses and other essential services whilst raising taxes on the general population, we should be placing restrictions on welfare entitlements for non nationals. Its not racism its just common sense.

• Advertisement

you know what i mean the post was saying there entitled to it as they paid taxes. which they are of course.i was just stating that after that their 'stamp' as i still call it runs out

Poorer fiscally.
    You obviously have no understanding of the word fiscal . And as I live in Fingal know what a positive and siverse place it is.

deccurley wrote: »
    SEVENTEEN BILLION EURO (half our tax take) is what this country spends on welfare. I dont know how much we spend on migrants out of that but I would suggest that while we have to keep cutting the pay of our Gardai, nurses and other essential services whilst raising taxes on the general population, we should be placing restrictions on welfare entitlements for non nationals. Its not racism its just common sense.

It's not racism to pay one man less because he's foreign? Sort yourself out.

I'm pointing out that any payments relative to their home countries are low in comparison.

Not in all cases. Anyway, it is irrelevant. Their wages are earned. Freebies are not.

i know that would save a lot of money wouldnt it? no one would hang around to claim it then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

The facts prove that to be a lie. A previous secretary general of the minstry for justice, a Mr. Sean Aylward, claimed that the vast majority of asylum seekers in Ireland were economic migrants lying through their teeth. He claimed we got 70, 000 asylum seekers during his tenure, yet, only 2, 600 were repatriated.

ahh yes the man who said most women entered Magdalen laundries voluntarily which meant the state didn't owe them compensation
    clearly a compassionate man

http://www.thejournal.ie/un-committee-hears-vast-majority-of-women-entered-magdalene-laundries-voluntarily-or-with-consent-143108-May2011/

Hardly irrelevant. If you give a polish man SOCIAL welfare relative to the amount he would get in his own country, he would not survive.

Hardly irrelevant. If you give a polish man SOCIAL welfare relative to the amount he would get in his own country, he would not survive.

he would at home thou.

You obviously have no understanding of the word fiscal . And as I live in Fingal know what a positive and siverse place it is.

The same way west Dublin became diverse. A truckload of investors started throwing up property everywhere they could and rented them back to the social.

But hey, f*ck the cost to the taxpayer, right? The "diversity" is worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Asylum seekers should come from war torn countries but in Ireland they do not, in fact I guarantee you that 100% of Irish people irrespective of their views have no problem supporting (with housing welfare, education opportunities) genuine asylum seekers in controlled numbers. That is not the case in Ireland; the fourth highest minority group in Ireland are Nigerians, higher than the combinedtotal number of some EU countries that have had access to Ireland since 1973 and 1992, and it is beyond comical.

Ireland will do anything to be loved its my biggest pet hate about the Country, if that means providing social housing to every citizen from every country in the world then so be it, given the restrictions on non-EU visa I am surprised so many qualify for social housing, no Irish politician has the balls to even debate the issue of mass immigration, too late for Cameron and the UK their Country has changed.

My partner who works aboard (and lived here for 8 years with me) refuses to visit me in Ireland, she has been adamant that we move home to Sweden especially if we are starting a family and I finally agreed, over the last six weeks I have finally realised she was right all along, Ireland is going nowhere it simply going around in circles, its not a Country run for its citizens, same faces, same policies, same outcome, same emigration, same fools left running the show making the same mistakes over and over.

25% of the new borns are foreign born and people still cannot discuss the negatives associated with mass immigration, only the positive can be discussed of which there are many.

Anyway it’s not longer my problem I won’t be paying for it or paying for the mistakes to support bondholder etc. Possibly my last post on boards as I fly home on Monday so Slan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement