Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameron to curb welfare entitlements for migrants - Should Ireland follow suit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

It is my experience these threads never go well.

The usual suspects will be on before long screaming racism.

The truth can not be told and the usual suspects will bait users who dare speak the truth and get them banned.

Because we all know it is very hateful to disagree with throwing money away to people who have never or will never contribute a cent to this state.

I will be one of those people when things get to the Cyprus stage saying I told you so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

This should be good!

I think social welfare fraud needs to be tackled properly first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Send em all home................. oh wait :confused:

Man flew home from Poland to collect welfare

A LISTOWEL man claimed over €7,500 in fraudulent social welfare payments when he travelled from Poland home to Kerry to sign on every month for over a year.

Tim Kennelly (45) from Rathea, Listowel, was eventually caught by gardaí and social welfare officers at Cork Airport as he attempted to leave the country after claiming job seekers allowance here.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/man-flew-home-from-poland-to-collect-welfare-29157958.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

People need 2 year residence before they are entitled to anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Here comes the Wayne again.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

gcgirl wrote: »
    People need 2 year residence before they are entitled to anything!

Do you honestly believe that every lad and lassie on the dole has paid two years worth of stamps/has been here for two years before claiming?

You are remarkably naive if you do.

ejmaztec wrote: »

Only thing is you've to sign down the post office everyweek!
    They stopped electronic payments to different benefits

Do you honestly believe that every lad and lassie on the dole has paid two years worth of stamps/has been here for two years before claiming?

You are remarkably niave if you do.

If they are not Irish yes it's different if your IRISH

• Registered Users Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Only thing is you've to sign down the post office everyweek!
    They stopped electronic payments to different benefits

I know, but it must have been good while it lasted.:(

If they are not Irish yes it's different if your IRISH

To qualify for Seekers Benefit you need two years worth of stamps and residence. For Seekers Allowance, not so, although it is means tested and applicants must prove that Ireland is their main centre of interest (bank statement, lease and a phone bill would prove this).

Hope that clears up your misconceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Ranicand wrote: »
    It is my experience these threads never go well.

The usual suspects will be on before long screaming racism.

The truth can not be told and the usual suspects will bait users who dare speak the truth and get them banned.

Because we all know it is very hateful to disagree with throwing money away to people who have never or will never contribute a cent to this state.
    Ah, the classic bullying technique. Lay the stall out from the onset egging the charming 'usual suspects' to scorn, snarl and attack anyone, who might actually despise hate filled, unfounded, racist myopic postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You are remarkably niave if you do.
    Hmm, English not your first language?

Only messing, chuck everyone out, start with the brits TAL 1981 no surrender!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We should adopt the same approach,
    I don't see why we can't make non nationals who haven't or never will contribute anything to this country go to there respective embassy's to be supported

Chinasea wrote: »
    Ah, the classic bullying technique. Lay the stall out from the onset egging the charming 'usual suspects' to scorn, snarl and attack anyone, who might actually despise hate filled, unfounded, racist myopic postings.

Ive given my sources for the figures used in my opening piece.

To qualify for Seekers Benefit you need two years worth of stamps and residence. For Seekers Allowance, not so, although it is means tested and applicants must prove that Ireland is their main centre of interest (bank statement, lease and a phone bill would prove this).

Hope that clears up your misconceptions.

Look up job seekers allowance for Irish residence
    : )

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Chinasea wrote: »

I have Aspergers so it is a FACT my mind does not work that way.

I don't see any hate in my post.

I speak the truth as I see it and I do not lay traps but I have experience of falling into to them.

If people are genuine give them a job not a handout.

If there are no jobs we can not afford handouts anyway.

I am done with this thread even this reply was one too many.

Look up job seekers allowance for Irish residence
    : )

Just did. No mention of two years anywhere on the page. In fact, it says if you are employed here for one, then you should have no problem qualifying for benefits if you find yourself unemployed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_assistance_payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

No,you deny migrants basic needs and put them on the back foot you end up like France.

Just did. No mention of two years anywhere on the page. In fact, it says if you are employed here for one, then you should have no problem qualifying for benefits if you find yourself unemployed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_assistance_payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland.html

I was referring to Irish people if you read what I wrote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I don't see any hate in my post.

I speak the truth as I see it and I do not lay traps but I have experience of falling into to them.

If people are genuine give them a job not a handout.

If there are no jobs we can not afford handouts anyway.

I am done with this thread even this reply was one too many.

WE get it!!! You have Aspergers stopping bringing it up in every thread for god sake.

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    No,you deny migrants basic needs and put them on the back foot you end up like France.

Sweden lashes out welfare at their migrant populations - its bad, if not worse, than in France.

I note that you are in Canada. If you are Irish and on a whv, you are entitled to nothing. Are they denying you your basic needs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Up North many roma are selling big issues and can then get all working benefits, is it the same down south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

deisedave wrote: »
    WE get it!!! You have Aspergers stopping bringing it up in every thread for god sake.

Jesus that's a bit much.....you have no opinion on the topic? You just here to abuse posters?

:p
    I was referring to Irish people if you read what I wrote

You said that you had to live here for two years before claiming welfare. Which is false.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Sweden lashes out welfare at their migrant populations - its bad, if not worse, than in France.

I note that you are in Canada. If you are Irish and on a whv, you are entitled to nothing. Are they denying you your basic needs?

I'm in fact back in Ireland and very lucky to be a dual citizen.There is employment in Canada,there is no employement here.How can you expect migrants to come here and live off the earth.The only sensible option for Ireland is to restrict entry to migrants more so at the moment for their own sake by taking action at source.Until then I support social welfare looking after immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

If you are an EU/EEA resident, moving to Ireland you can claim Jobseekers Allowance, based on your means. Of course you need to show your plan is to stay here and build a life here. Outside of EU/EEA residents, I don't know how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

I will be one of those people when things get to the Cyprus stage saying I told you so.
    and what the fuk does migrants claiming welfare have to do with cyprus?

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I'm in fact back in Ireland and very lucky to be a dual citizen.There is employment in Canada,there is no employement here.How can you expect migrants to come here and live off the earth.The only sensible option for Ireland is to restrict entry to migrants more so at the moment for their own sake by taking action at source.Until then I support social welfare looking after immigrants.

Jesus. H. Christ.

Can we direct them to your place? Such an egalitarian would welcome them with open arms, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A thread with lots of links and you even gave a link to the Central Statistics Office.

Good work OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

thats your look out as they say. Doesnt invalidate what chinsea said either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement