Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burt Reynolds R.I.P.

Options
  • 06-09-2018 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭

I just heard that Burt Reynolds has died at 82, after a heart attack while in hospital. He'd been ill for a while now. Time to break out my copy of Hooper, maybe?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

RIP burt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Guy was a ****ing legend gonna watch Boogie Nights later

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ah Shame. Only watched 'Deliverance' a couple of weeks ago.

Saw him in an interview recently, though. He didn't look well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

R.I.P. Burt.

I loved Smokey and the Bandit and Cannonball Run when I was a child

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

R.I.P. Burt

Thanks for all the laughs and entertainment

giphy.gifwell-even-if-im-not-respected-as-an-actor-im

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,419 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Grew up watching his movies.
    Very sad news :(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Yes, a great guy. A clip from my fav movie of his.
    https://youtu.be/myhnAZFR1po

Rip Burt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

One of my childhood faves.

Sad that Judith Barsi, Dom DeLuise and now Burt (in that order of death) are now gone from this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

He was one cool mother fcuker in fairness. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

All Dogs Go To Heaven was one of two VHS we owned in my house growing up for a long time, used to watch it whenever I was sick and home from school.

It's still a great kids movie except that really sad ending, it literally would choke anyone up. How I watched it so many times as a child I'll never know.

Saw his other work later, lots of good movies under his belt, also lent his voice to Grand Theft Auto Vice City, he voiced Avery Carrington, he was a property tycoon I think, the Texan guy with the hat and black limo.

Didn't see him in much lately, but did see him on an episode of Fast and Loud on Discovery a while ago, and he looked quite shook and was using a cane to walk. Just shows you can't beat the clock.

For me, he'll always be Charlie from All Dogs Go to Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RIP BURT, loved a lot of his work .
    I really loved all the Smokey and the bandit movie.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    All Dogs Go To Heaven was one of two VHS we owned in my house growing up for a long time, used to watch it whenever I was sick and home from school.

It's still a great kids movie except that really sad ending, it literally would choke anyone up. How I watched it so many times as a child I'll never know.

Saw his other work later, lots of good movies under his belt, also lent his voice to Grand Theft Auto Vice City, he voiced Avery Carrington, he was a property tycoon I think, the Texan guy with the hat and black limo.

Didn't see him in much lately, but did see him on an episode of Fast and Loud on Discovery a while ago, and he looked quite shook and was using a cane to walk. Just shows you can't beat the clock.

Rented it as a kid-it was such a heartbreaker, especially now, knowing how the ending was almost cut from the film due to the tragedy behind the scenes.

He popped up in Saints Row 3 as well, played the Mayor Burt Reynold, and you could call him up on your phone as backup. Then you got to drive his awesome car.
    He did a movie last year, The Last Movie Star, with Ariel Winter, Chevy Chase, and Clark Duke.
    Was also in tv shows like Archer, and is listed in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino's Charlie Manson movie).

Apparently him doing so much of his own stunt work left him in bad shape in old age. Darn shame.

And yeah, Charlie is who I always associated him with. Great actor, wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

Rented it as a kid-it was such a heartbreaker, especially now, knowing how the ending was almost cut from the film due to the tragedy behind the scenes.

He popped up in Saints Row 3 as well, played the Mayor Burt Reynold, and you could call him up on your phone as backup. Then you got to drive his awesome car.
    He did a movie last year, The Last Movie Star, with Ariel Winter, Chevy Chase, and Clark Duke.
    Was also in tv shows like Archer, and is listed in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino's Charlie Manson movie).

Apparently him doing so much of his own stunt work left him in bad shape in old age. Darn shame.

And yeah, Charlie is who I always associated him with. Great actor, wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

Yeah I actually discovered what happened to Judith Barsi years and years after, like I would have had internet in the house by this point, and I was like "Really? That happened to that cute little kid? Tragic"

Yeah to be honest I hadn't seen a lot of his latest work, saw Deliverance and Smokey and the Bandit, Cannonball Run. Actually didn't get to play Saints Row 3, sold my own Xbox and switched to ps3. But the Saints Row games were a bit of craic.

Might watch All Dogs Go to Heaven some evening, I actually watched it maybe 3 or 4 years ago and I remember being depressed after it, sometimes I would think "I wouldn't want my kids watching this and they'll bawl"....if I had any.

Yeah All Dogs Go To Heaven was one of two tapes we owned. Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest was the other tape, an animated movie, Robin Williams played a human fearing bat named Batty, that escaped from a laboratory, he was brilliant in that. Watched that when I was sick too. Now Charlie and Batty are no more.

Hahaha, still laugh like a child at the opening scene!
    Quality voice acting

Yeah I actually discovered what happened to Judith Barsi years and years after, like I would have had internet in the house by this point, and I was like "Really? That happened to that cute little kid? Tragic"

Yeah to be honest I hadn't seen a lot of his latest work, saw Deliverance and Smokey and the Bandit, Cannonball Run. Actually didn't get to play Saints Row 3, sold my own Xbox and switched to ps3. But the Saints Row games were a bit of craic.

Might watch All Dogs Go to Heaven some evening, I actually watched it maybe 3 or 4 years ago and I remember being depressed after it, sometimes I would think "I wouldn't want my kids watching this and they'll bawl"....if I had any.

Yeah All Dogs Go To Heaven was one of two tapes we owned. Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest was the other tape, an animated movie, Robin Williams played a human fearing bat named Batty, that escaped from a laboratory, he was brilliant in that. Watched that when I was sick too. Now Charlie and Batty are no more.

I played SR 3 via GoG or Steam, and had a lot of fun with it. Trying to play SR 4, and tbh the formula is completely screwed up. It's riffing on the Matrix, and Aliens, and I haven't touched it in weeks, frankly. Shame, no wonder the series ended.

I haven't seen it in a while, tbh. That and Land Before Time I really need to rewatch (I cried a river as a kid watching that) and kind of want to watch them both. (Barsi was also Ducky in Land Before Time).

Ah, Ferngully, aka the movie James Cameron stole heavily from. Williams made many's a movie great. He also did an animated sequence for a DisneyWorld promo video, with Walter Kronkite and the creator of Proud Family (who's still animating-worked on Princess and the Frog).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ah ****. I only just read about his death on thejournal.ie today.

He was an acting legend in his own right. I remember him best from his performances in The Cannonball Run movies when I was a kid. R.I.P. Burt :(

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Dang, this is going to be really interesting.

Deliverance is a movie that crosses genres, imo-it's a horror movie, and absolutely ahead of its time.
    Still referenced years afterwards. And it absolutely scared me crapless when I saw it. Deliverance and the Accused have two of the most horrific rape scenes ever shot on film. (And the Accused was inspired by a real life case).

Burt was one cool dude. Could probably steal your girlfriend in a 'deal with it' move.

• Advertisement
Advertisement