Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    ^Thanks for that vid, it's class, the kids have been roaring laughing at it all day!:D

Talking of stupid- I actually threaded and buckled a belt on top of another one on my jeans today, and didn't notice until lunchtime:rolleyes:

A new take on the belt and braces approach?

I was tired and stuff today. At least this is what I felt, and believed all day. I got in the pool for the club swim tonight shivering and unenthusiastic. But it turns out that either hard swim sessions are the best cure in the world, or it was all in my head.

Warm up was 6 x 100 drills.
    Main set was 8 x 100 IM which I didn't complete and I'm not even sure how many I got done. 6 I think. They were woeful.
    Coach was being nice, which had me suspicious. The final part of the session showed why. The sneaky git wanted 3 x 100 fc hitting pb times. We only got 2 done - we are the pleb group. :)
    My pb is 1.39 which took so much out of me the night I did it I couldn't swim at all afterwards. Tonight I just decided to swim them steady sod the clock. Surprisingly I came in on 1.43, and I wasn't maxed out. Second set we had to remove watches and put goggles under hats. This we were told, would gain at least one second. In my case, it actually did, 1.42. Again effort was at about 95% rather than 100 so I'm happy. (Just don't tell my coach I wasn't trying).

I no longer feel ill and feel so perky after the swim I should be a cast member in Glee.

Wednesday am
    Mid distance run today. 11k. Yet again a run that was neither one thing nor another. Some days its harder to push than others. It took 58 minutes, which is a bit too tardy for the distance. But I have to take some people for a hill session soon so I spent the run concentrating on form and coaching points every time I came to a hill. Which was most of the time, I live on a hilly spot.

And it was a nice morning for it. Calm and foggy and not freezing my barnacles off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Oryx wrote: »
    All this talk reminds me of my favourite youtube clip ever:

You've made my eldest very happy - big (talking) husky fan... took her mind off Niall Horan for 30 sec or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Your package arrived...one gel down and a bit of a sticky mess, but perhaps that's why it arrived so fast. ;) Loved the card....I assume that's you and me (and Solobally8??) on the front looking pretty hot and stylish in our best swimwear. :D My turn now to send you something.....

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Your package arrived...one gel down and a bit of a sticky mess, but perhaps that's why it arrived so fast. ;) Loved the card....I assume that's you and me (and Solobally8??) on the front looking pretty hot and stylish in our best swimwear. :D My turn now to send you something.....

Oops. Next time I'll make sure to get better packaging :)

Id like to think we have better thighs than those girls!

• Advertisement

Okayokayokay....yes, we do have better thighs....and I wouldn't be caught dead in those pumps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oops. Next time I'll make sure to get better packaging :)

Id like to think we have better thighs than those girls!
    Okayokayokay....yes, we do have better thighs....and I wouldn't be caught dead in those pumps!!

This conversation is useless without pics...... :D

BTH wrote: »
    We prefer to have your mind create its own. ;)

Thursday am
    Lacksadaisical turbo where I didnt go over 75%. Idea behind the set was 95rpm @80, rising to 85% but I hadnt a hope of doing that today. I got the rpm, but not the hr. I know why so I'm not beating myself up about it.

BTH wrote: »

The male imagination is a terrible thing to waste. ;):)

Did nothing else yesterday, body needed a rest and the house needed attention, I hear Discovery channel were nosing around looking to film Worlds Dirtiest Houses.

Friday am
    Uncoached swim. Today I fancied a pyramid, just to keep things simple. 400 w/u, then 100, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100. This was tiring, the pool felt longer than normal. But to get something from it, I concentrated on getting a feel for the water, noticing how I glide, and slowing the stroke to get more power from it. My catch still doesnt, but I'm working on that over a barrel thing. It still feels awkward, but it will come.

Finished the set with 6 x 50 hard. These were slower than last week, coming in on 55, but that time stayed constant, with no dropoff. 35 RI between each one. I no longer thrash up the pool doing these, my stroke is slower but stronger, which I see as a good thing.

200 sd brought me to 2500 for the session in 65 mins.

• Advertisement

Friday pm
    Turbo with a friend. This was a short notice session and we started late so we only finished up at 10pm. This was not an easy one for me, I've had a tummy bug all week (either that or drinking an out of date zym tab was a Very Bad Idea) which made effort difficult. But got through it. Intervals 5 x 4mins @80%.

Saturday was a rest day - coaching series.

Sunday
    High winds and rain kept me indoors today. As I was wussing out I had to put in a decent set on the turbo to compensate. I did the Wimbleball set again, making sure to hit all the targets. Its a hellish set. 90 min main set mostly held at 80 - 85% with either very slow or very fast cad. I hate it but I love it too. 2hrs 10 incl a long wu and spin out.

After a brief intermission I went out for a short easy run. 6k. My calves were stiff as hell, just like in every tri I ever do. Must work on a fix for that.

Monday am
    Early run with two girls who wanted to do hill reps. I ran at their pace so a nice comfortable base session for me. Four up and downs plus I ran to and from the meetup point so 11.1k in just over an hour.

Well I trained this evening and while I did some bast*rds blew up the Boston marathon, and now the training doesn't seem to matter much.

This was so far away but so bloody close. This is what I do. I knew people in the race. I never in a million years considered a marathon as a target for terrorism. My heart goes out to all the particpants and those affected.

Monday last was a triple day, with an early run, and an evening swim followed by kettlebells for an hour.

Tuesday I was bone tired, cant think why..... but I got to the pool for the club session. Main theme of the set was a 750 split into sections.

350 wu (plan =400)
    100tt 1.39
    500 fc focus on long glide. Untimed
    100tt 1.40
    50tt .46

Those 100 times match the best times I've done, so I'm happy with them.

50 easy

Then it was 4 x200 cu
    but my shoulder was troublesome (I never usually do this drill the way the coach gave it with overlapping hands as it kills my niggly rotator cuff) so I only got 250m done. He cut it short anyway.

12 x25 off 30
    I got the first four done in the time, then my times started to fall off. I was doing 35 instead, and probably 37 or 40 for the last few.

150 sd.

I'm maintaining my times anyway, and I'm getting more used to working hard in the shorter tts.

Sickener of a run tonight. Literally a sickener, I had tummy issues all the way. So it was a bit of a slog. But stormy winds made it interesting at least. Had to watch the trees so a flying branch didn't poleaxe me and in parts the gusts nearly had me blown backwards. But the masochist in me likes that kind of thing. 10.9k. Slowly.

Twisted my ankle really stupidly and really badly in work today. I have it iced but its a mess. Black and blue. I doubt I'll be running a half marathon this sunday!

How's the ankle? Was the half marathon this past Sunday?

How's the ankle? Was the half marathon this past Sunday?

No half mara. Foot was wrecked. Still black and blue but runnable. Am currently two days into a week of training camp. Hanging on for dear life and hoping I can keep going. Full on days of work and two of the toughest bike rides I've ever done. One involved an 8k climb and that was an easy day...

Today I did the soller ride which I'm told is a good one to get done. 14k uphill at 6.4 gradient I think. Did it 3 hours into a ride in torrential rain, but was forced into the tricamp car for the descent as I was gone a funny colour from cold.

God. This means I have to come back to do it again....

Came to majorca for some fine weather training. I haven't seen blue sky for four days and it has rained continually for 24 hours.

If it wasnt for bad luck I would have none.

Short wet miserable bike yesterday and a good hill run. Had to dib out on the bike ride today as I didn't want to hold the pack back and make them cold. So a 20k run with a decent climb in the middle.

• Advertisement

... followed by a short bike ride to the sea for a swim. It did not rain and the water was warmish so a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.

Leaving majorca and the sun is splitting the trees. Someone up there has a sense of humour.

Well I made it through my training week. The first few days I thought I would die from trying to keep up, but after that either it got easier or I got better because I finished in pretty good shape.

The week was mostly bike based. Got some decent rides in the first few days before the weather played total havoc. The schedule had to change towards the end of the week but it's probably just as well as I was beginning to fall apart, exhausted with trashed quads. I missed out on the much anticipated colobra ride which I'm gutted about.

But the week has made me a much better cyclist. I've learned to ride in a group, suck someones wheel,, descend fast, and work my ass off to stay with better riders. I'm kinda inspired to get straight out and do more, and am a little in love with my bike. (Which is already rebuilt and ready to go). Nothing like about 20 hours of cycling in five days to boost your confidence.

I also got two sea and two pool swims, video analysis and excellent swim coaching. Running was limited but no harm with a dodgy ankle. Learned some new run technique and drills which will be useful though. Yoga classes were less than relaxing but I did learn to headstand with my hands clasped behind my head. :)

Who needs fine weather anyway? Well actually I do. I nearly cried today when I had to leave as it was finally sunny. But a great week which has really changed my attitude towards training for the better.

Wait. So...what you're saying is your attitude is going to get even better??? :eek: ;):D

Wait. So...what you're saying is your attitude is going to get even better??? :eek: ;):D

I have a major race in 5 weeks. UK 70.3. One of the lads on the camp wants to qualify for the 70.3 worlds but didn't enter this because its too hilly a course for him....

So negativity is not an option. Just gotta get on.

6k run this morning to keep the legs ticking over. Shorts and a teeshirt for the first time since last year, things are looking up. No time on this one, but it felt easy enough. Took around a half hour.

I've always known I was a completely unskilled cyclist. But an hour of attempting to 'scoot' on the bike... and failing miserably.... more than proves the point. Learning to ride a bike as an adult is worse than learning to swim as an adult. The embarrassment of how bad I am haunts me so I got to fix it. The week away showed up my weaknesses and I don't want to have to explain them anymore. Stabilizers anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What tips did you learn that you can pass on, as regards biking more efficiently? I'm all ears!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    What tips did you learn that you can pass on, as regards biking more efficiently? I'm all ears!

Most of the tips came from my camp mates rather than the coaches. Watching them as well as talking. Learned things like...

Descend on the drops with weight forward.
    Inside pedal up to clear the ground.
    High cad is key.
    Your upper body is relaxed.
    Your upper body does not move.
    Drop your shoulders.
    Tuck your elbows.
    You can always work harder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Most of the tips came from my camp mates rather than the coaches. Watching them as well as talking. Learned things like...

Descend on the drops with weight forward.
    Inside pedal up to clear the ground.
    High cad is key.
    Your upper body is relaxed.
    Your upper body does not move.
    Drop your shoulders.
    Tuck your elbows.
    You can always work harder.

Cheers Oryx, that sort of stuff is worth its weight in gold. I try different styles on a bike, to get an intuition for whats correct, but seeing it written down like that has helped me confirm whats right/wrong.

Can you clarify this one: "Inside pedal up to clear the ground"?

Advertisement