Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Solobally8 wrote: »
    If it's any reassurance Oryx I was out with the club yesterday and we were travelling approx 8kph slower cycling into the wind. It was a killer

Yeah I'll be getting out more often from now on and I'll have a better idea of how I'm doing. Plan on doing tt sprints on a flat stretch to get used to putting in more effort. As Dory told me ages ago the wind is a training tool anyway :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

As I winded down my run about 3.5 miles early yesterday I was a bit peeved but knew that the mental battle of the previous 9 miles and the weather conditions made it more like a 24 mile run anyway. Then this popped up on my facebook newsfeed today when my friend 'liked' it. About running, but it's relative.
    TIP OF THE WEEKEND: Precise planning goes out the window in the winter. Yes, you can still log pace and time, but don't take it too seriously. A 16-mile run in atrocious conditions might be the moral equivalent of 20 miles in perfect conditions. That's one of the reasons why I sometimes suggest time-based training. How long would it take you to do a prescribed workout under perfect conditions? Run for that time and forget pace or distance. This is also true on hot days or on hilly courses where heat or hills can increase the stress level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Oryx wrote: »
    Won't know for ages yet.

Ah norseman applications only going into the hat next september ;) - I am thinking about sticking my own name into the mix, will worry about where I get the money and how I will tell the missus that she needs to start training for it as she will be in for he support crew if I get selected.

It will cost a lot of money though when all is said and done and I don't think she will get the "I want a black t-shirt" comment :(

catweazle wrote: »
    Ah norseman applications only going into the hat next september ;) - I am thinking about sticking my own name into the mix, will worry about where I get the money and how I will tell the missus that she needs to start training for it as she will be in for he support crew if I get selected.

It will cost a lot of money though when all is said and done and I don't think she will get the "I want a black t-shirt" comment :(
    I presume with 150 foreign slots available chances are slim to non existent, so it's a long term goal. I have a few other ideas on the boil so if my name did ever come out the hat, I'd have some groundwork done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

catweazle wrote: »

I dont think it's that expensive compared to some European IM (yes I have checked).

If you want a Scandinavian experience there's always my favourite - OtillO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

griffin100 wrote: »
    I dont think it's that expensive compared to some European IM (yes I have checked).

Its not the price really but its x 2 everything as I cant expect the support to be out of pocket for it. Norway is not a cheap destination and a car will need to be hired for it as well.

Budget wise I would think perhaps the challenge race just outside Amsterdam might be the most feasible, right time of year for me, cheap flights, cheap accommodation, reasonable weather and the venue isn't in the arse end of nowhere like many races you could get there in a taxi from the city

Tuesday am
    Short easy run this morning. I took yesterday off (well, I spent four hours in the cold marshaling a race and couldn't face training myself afterwards) so this morning was just to wake the legs up again. 6.75k

Also I think it may have been a whole degree warmer out this morning. There is hope for us yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

sorry for the lateness but welcome back not the same without you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

^ Agree 100% with the above sentiments, love the positive vibes, best of luck for your training and races. Great to see you back, there's been a shocking dearth of mud-caked girl pics lately :)

This triathlon lark is a bit too clean but I'll see if I can find an old mud caked pic just for you Kurt. ;)

Tuesday pm
    Swim tonight. No club sessions this week so I did my own set:
    400 wu
    4 x 400 sustainable (race) pace
    2 x 100
    100 sd

The full set is 5 x 400 so the 100s at the end were just filling time. Didn't have enough time to do the last full 400. My sustainable pace turned out to not be sustainable with my times coming out like this: 8.10, 8.18, 8.47, 8.53. A big drop off for the last two, something I need to work on.

I had to grit my teeth starting this session, I didn't think I'd enjoy it but it's actually really good, felt like solid work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Still silver linings... Keep it up :)

BTH wrote: »
    Stick me down for Tuesday 2 April :D
    Well lookee here...

:)

Still smiling. How much did you lose?

Wednesday am
    Turbo. Techinicinicically set.
    10 min wu
    6 x 30s out of saddle 30s recovery
    6 x 30s spin ups 30s recovery
    6 x 45s single leg 15s recovery
    22 mins holding 90 cad, effort kept low z3.
    5 cd

Again, even though I wasn't out in the weather, I was aware for the second day of spring finally attempting to crawl out of its hibernation cave. Sunny and bright out there, yeehaw.

Physio this morning with the vulcan. The man kills me. I even made a new pain sound today, somewhere between a yelp an a whimper. A yimper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Well lookee here...

:)

Still smiling. How much did you lose?

I was just thinking about that. Good work Oryx, keep it up.

For Kurt. Summer 2009. Dory, this is what you have ahead of you!

9zlzyo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

at least there's some swimming involved

interested wrote: »
    at least there's some swimming involved

Only if you fall in, which I did.

I don't do that durthy messing anymore, I swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm more than game!!! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Me too to do with you two ;)

Me too to do with you two ;)
    *obliterates momentary bad bad thoughts*

Thursday
    'Slightly longer than normal run'. A run that didn't know quite what it was, I wasn't up for tempo and hadn't enough time for an lsr. 14.4k in 79 mins. I took it at a steady pace, listening to the body and all that. Plus, all going well, I have a big day planned on sunday which I need to be ready for.

The weather is still broken, however. Looks like Spain, feels like Siberia.

• Advertisement

Thursday pm
    Bright and breezy 50 min turbo, doing out of the saddle intervals. Handy enough.

Friday am
    Got to the pool early. Plan was to do a pyramid as the main set with a bilateral drill I read about here as part of the warmup.

500 wu

Pyramid:
    100 easy
    200 easy
    300 mod
    400 mod
    300 hard
    200 easy
    100 hard

100 swim
    5 x 50 max effort with rest as required.
    Did these hitting 50 with 30-40 rest
    150 sd

A good set, which i enjoyed and it didn't wear me out - I see that as a good sign.

Ive lowered some intensity this week in the bike and run while keeping volume up. This to me works as a recovery week. So far it's working well I feel great. And every time a negative thought tries to intrude I mentally scrunch it up and throw it in the bin. :)

Saturday am

Boy was it cold out this morning. Interval run sets was the plan this morning, done with a group which made it better - people to chase down or chase you. Main set was 12 x 1 min hard run with 1 min rest. Yeah the intervals hurt but the session as a whole was handy. We ran a back and forth route so you could aim for the same distance each time. Enjoyable though it felt like a light enough 45 mins.

I had meant to turbo last night but my body tricked me by falling asleep for two hours when I only meant to sit down for five minutes. I guess that means I was tired and needed the rest more anyway.

The plan today was to do a mock oly tri with a friend, but as I am seriously lacking in decent bike hours, I got out early and did 25k before meeting up to start the swim. Pool swim (obviously) but no time pressure as I was staying put till my mate was done too. 1800m total for me. Then out into the cold for a pleasant 40k. This was easy as I was holding her pace but by the end her long spins started to show on the hills. I start to fade after a pretty short time! May get out for a long spin next weekend and start building my endurance. Times for the bike sre pretty irrelevant as I was going at someone else's pace.

Straight out on the run, which was hard going into the freezing wind up to halfway. After that it was to my back but all uphill. Didn't feel under serious pressure though. Did this in 50mins which is fine.

A good mornings work which I enjoyed (tho a long bike was probably needed more...) and not even tired now which goes to show pace is everything.

Monday am
    I'm not sure if I was tired or lazy this morning but getting to the pool took more mental effort than normal. Adding to the ennui was the fact I got in to swim without a set plan - always a no-no.

Spent an hour doing drills designed to improve the catch part of my stroke which is the weakest bit right now. Also did a good bit of bc to give my shoulders a break (fulcrums and paddles were hard going). 2000m total.

Training is going well right now with ten and eleven hour weeks of quality work, physically I feel good, though a niggly pita infection just refuses to go away. All in all I'm happy with progress over the last few weeks as its a big improvement on the funk I was in at the start of the year.

Monday pm
    Kettlebells. Had to haul myself off the sofa for this one, but I'm glad I did. It shook off the tiredness I've been carrying all day. I wasn't as strong as other sessions I've done I but worked up a sweat anyway. It was enjoyable, just what the doctor ordered.

Speaking of doctors, back I go tomorrow for another stab at fixing what ails me.

Speaking of doctors, back I go tomorrow for another stab at fixing what ails me.

Can they really cure stupid?;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Can they really cure stupid?;)

I don't know. How is your treatment going?

I don't know. How is your treatment going?

Two large tranquillizers marked "Placebo" to be taken up the bum every hour, on the hour, for the past three months. The doc said I'd be cured in a month but I don't feel any less stupid so I insist she keeps repeating the prescription.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Two large tranquillizers marked "Placebo" to be taken up the bum every hour, on the hour, for the past three months. The doc said I'd be cured in a month but I don't feel any less stupid so I insist she keeps repeating the prescription.

All this talk reminds me of my favourite youtube clip ever:

• Advertisement

^Thanks for that vid, it's class, the kids have been roaring laughing at it all day!:D

Talking of stupid- I actually threaded and buckled a belt on top of another one on my jeans today, and didn't notice until lunchtime:rolleyes:

Advertisement