Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PTSB current account [was: PTSB €1500 a month? Should I open an account?]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I've been with AIB for 11 years or so now, is there any negatives to leaving them after this amount of time? I've always paid my card on time, paid off a personal loan way early, etc. Can you build up goodwill with a particular bank anymore or is that just a thing of the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

danthefan wrote: »
    I've been with AIB for 11 years or so now, is there any negatives to leaving them after this amount of time? I've always paid my card on time, paid off a personal loan way early, etc. Can you build up goodwill with a particular bank anymore or is that just a thing of the past?

Deffo thing of the past dealing with Bank of Ireland.

Been a customer for over 10 years, regularly called to branch, opened savings accounts, met investment managers etc. This week they've treated me like they dont even know me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

danthefan wrote: »
    Those days are long gone. All the big decisions (mortgage applications etc.) are made in head office. The fact your bank manager thinks you're a great lad makes not a jot of difference these days, so go with the bank that offers you the best value for each product. AIB don't offer the best value in any products that I'm aware of, certainly not day to day banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Guess I'll be switching so, might call into a branch tomorrow and talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rataan

I'm thinking of switching from Ulster Bank. The problem is though, that I have a credit card with Ulster Bank. Does anybody know if I'm able to keep the credit card with UB, but switch the current account to PTSB? My reason for this is because if I switch credit card I will be charged government stamp duty of €30 for closing the credit card account!
    Also, if I can keep the credit card with UB without a current account, will I then be charged quarterly fees on the credit card?

• Advertisement

Rataan wrote: »
    My reason for this is because if I switch credit card I will be charged government stamp duty of €30 for closing the credit card account!
    You request a letter from UB to say you've paid the €30 and give it to PTSB who are then exempted from deducting the €30 from you again. You can switch credit cards 20 times in a year but you'll only pay the stamp duty once if you get your letters. The system is set up to avoid people being trapped like that,
    Rataan wrote: »
    Also, if I can keep the credit card with UB without a current account, will I then be charged quarterly fees on the credit card?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Im having an appointment tomorrow in PTSB to open an account.
    How easy it is to get overdraft? Having overdraft at UB at the moment, and ofcourse i want to have it in PTSB aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

finnteme wrote: »
    Im having an appointment tomorrow in PTSB to open an account.
    How easy it is to get overdraft? Having overdraft at UB at the moment, and ofcourse i want to have it in PTSB aswell.

i tried to get a tempory overdraft in PTSB and was told "that to get any type of loan including an overdraft you must be making at least 30k per year"
    if i was making 30k a year i wouldn't have needed an od

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

It's actually 20k. To get an overdraft it has to go through the normal procedure for any lending facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

Chessala wrote: »
    When I asked about the quarterly charges since I wouldn't be able to get 1.5k in in April, the adviser told me that I shouldn't have to pay it because of a grace period (or w/e the name is). If I'm charged the fee he told me to come back and he would take care of a refund. That should work for you as well, wmpdd3 :).

I confirmed this a week ago too :) The give you 30 days grace period so don't worry about the whole 1.5k
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Got a call back today from the same person who's been dealing with my application since day one. She went through everything and gave me my account number and my log in details for internet banking.

Top notch service all the way. They would blow BOI and AIB out of the water.

Looks like I am going to get charged €12 for this quarter as I wont have enough time to lodge the required amount of money, but after that It will be FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, I used to transfer €10 a week into all my utility bills but gave up when charges came in and I am in arrears will all bills for the first time in months. Cant wait for transaction free banking.

The only troubling thing is I know of a few other people who dont eat when the charges for their banking comes out but they are terrified to change banks in case their social welfare payment is disrupted. This is really sad.

Aye I was worried about my SW Payment but I sent them the form that I got of PTSB, they switched it over within a week and a half!!

--

It has been a while since I switched and I have to say I am very happy! I got a letter from BOI for €28.28 in fees. I am going to really have to get stuff working to pay that off :(

I had all my DDs switched over by their switching team. I let them do the work but I did ring to confirm and switch my details with the companies themselves. It saves on any mistakes and makes it a lil easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

How does the PTSB online service match up against AIB.
    I'm also with UlsterBank and I find their online service to be crap compared to the AIB one. AIB online is superb. Only reason I would think of switching is the lack of fees but I couldnt live without a good online service. :confused:

Had a meeting booked today at Balbriggan branch for acc. opening. They called 60 minutes before the appointment, that call center have done a double booking and they are not able to see me until friday..

After couple of calls back to branch, i was able to get a new appointment today at 4pm.. Not so impressed so far..lets see how the actual acc. opening will go today.

How does the PTSB online service match up against AIB.
    I'm also with UlsterBank and I find their online service to be crap compared to the AIB one. AIB online is superb. Only reason I would think of switching is the lack of fees but I couldnt live without a good online service. :confused:

Actually tis better than any I have seen!! Take a look.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4
    Click on the account you want to see in image 4. Account balance could be say €800 and then the Available balance could be only €750
    That is shown in the next image.
    Image 5
    In this image see the value of pending transactions. It means that as soon as you make a transaction it will show in your account but only once the reseller in question actually takes the money does it show in your account summary.

Image 6
    Image 7
    Image 8
    Image 9

There are more option but meh to many to do. Mobile app is brilliant too!! Can send money on the go etc

Just an update,just back from the branch, account opened instantly,OD approved aswell directly (it was under 1000 eur).First the branch manager told that 1000 is the minimum, but after some negotiations that was not the case.

Very happy at the moment, now just waiting my card to arrive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

In my opinion AIB online is the best but its not worth fees!!

BOI is fine but there def is a delay in transactions being visible so very easy to rack up fees if you forget about 1 transaction.

open 24 is fine, the app is better, but I have just set up a few payments and it was fine. The app is lovely, better than the other two. The login is handier as it is the number on the back of your card and a word and a number that you pick.

For anyone setting up their open24 ring the 1890 number then press 0, then 0 again and you get straight through to the operator.

Child benefit letter arrived today confirming payment into my new acount, fair play to them.

Payroll is in India so I wont hold my breath, but cant wait to ditch BOI and AIB when its all sorted.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    In my opinion AIB online is the best but its not worth fees!!
    AIB doesn't even allow you to export transactions as a csv for use in your own spreadsheets etc. The interface might be slick, but basic functionality is missing. All fur coat and no knickers :pac:

True that is a major pain.when I used to pay with card I used to transcript each transaction weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

is that 1500€ in TSB must be lodged in once payment or could be like weekly wages for ex 350€?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

devil-80 wrote: »
    is that 1500€ in TSB must be lodged in once payment or could be like weekly wages for ex 350€?

As many separate lodgements as you want as long as it gets to €1500.

FYI 4 x 350 is only 1400, So if you do not get anything else then simply withdraw say 150 (a lil over) and then put it straight back in :) That counts too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Thanks Guys. Ill try to open the account next week.

Thanks Guys. Ill try to open the account next week.

You won't regret it! I am over the moon, I had all my DDs moved over but may I suggest if you do that to ring the companies as well as PTSB doing so, just to make sure they change the account numbers and the like.
    I had to pay €28.28 in fees and what gets me, and leaves a bad taste in my mouth is to put the money in it costs me 28c!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

Hi, one quick question. Are EU on-line bank transfers free? Is there a limit (daily or monthly) on the transferable amount? Thanks!

pasquale83 wrote: »
    Hi, one quick question. Are EU on-line bank transfers free? Is there a limit (daily or monthly) on the transferable amount? Thanks!

As long as the receiving bank is SEPA compliant, yes it's free. What do you mean time limit?

As long as the receiving bank is SEPA compliant, yes it's free. What do you mean time limit?

I meant an amount limit.

I meant an amount limit.

I am asking because I read in the charges booklet the attached paragraph, where a 0.50 euro charge is mentioned.

I meant an amount limit.
    I am asking because I read in the charges booklet the attached paragraph, where a 0.50 euro charge is mentioned.

If receiving EU bank is not SEPA compliant, you have to do it by Swift transfer. Max is €1,500 per day, minus fee (50c, providing you're sending in Euro currency).

Otherwise, no fee applies and max per day is €10,000 (€5000 online + €5000 over the phone).

If receiving EU bank is not SEPA compliant, you have to do it by Swift transfer. Max is €1,500 per day, minus fee (50c, providing you're sending in Euro currency).

Otherwise, no fee applies and max per day is €10,000 (€5000 online + €5000 over the phone).

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I switched the child benefit tomy PTSB account no probs. Just filled in the form and sent it off, it was done inside 3 weeks.

I did have an issue with setting up the Credit union, it set up fine but when I transferred, I got an error so I just deleted it and reset it up. I presumed there was a space or extra character in the account number.

Advertisement