Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PTSB current account [was: PTSB €1500 a month? Should I open an account?]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

Kay so if you do it in branch all you need to open the account is:
    Photo Identification x 1 (passport, driving insurance, EU identity card)
    Proof of Address x 1 (utility in the last 6 months, bank statement, your tax credits notification, household/health/car insurance less that 12 montsh old)
    PPSN needed as well.

Now if you are doing it by post you will need 2 x proof of address!

LMAO! Okay they have a section in the book "New PTSB current account where if you lodge €1500 every month*" I was like... oh boy there is a * but I look down it says "There are no other steps! Not all footnotes need to be scary terms and conditions."
    Gotta say that did make me laugh!

This is the up to date pdf of charges btw: https://www.permanenttsb.ie/media/permanenttsb/pdfdocuments/permanent-tsb-personal-and-business-banking-charges.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Can you just bring in original documents,statements, your Passport etc. in to your local branch or do you need to make photocopies?

Do you have to make an appointment or can you just call in?

I opened a savings bond with state savings and they just made a photocopy of my original documents which was nice in the local post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

You have to make an appointment over the phone but you can bring in original documents when you do.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Can you just bring in original documents,statements, your Passport etc. in to your local branch or do you need to make photocopies?

Do you have to make an appointment or can you just call in?

I opened a savings bond with state savings and they just made a photocopy of my original documents which was nice in the local post office.

I would suggest making an appointment otherwise you may have to wait. You can just walk in but I had to wait behind 3 people before someone could see me.
    You should bring in the originals and if they need copies then they can use their own ink lol

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

i would suggest that any ulsterbank customer opens a ptsb account NOW.
    then if uslterbank bring in charges you are ready to move instantly when charges are announced.
    though i think ulsterbank would have some neck to bring in charges after their fiascos.
    anyone already paying another bank charges - this is a no brainer though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Exactly.

Ulster Bank, need to urgently announce their plans post 31 July 2013, for their current accounts. The uncertainty is preventing people switching to Ulster Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

In PTSB's fees, note there is a €5 charge for each direct debit and standing order set-up; this is currently free with AIB. They may not apply this when switching (need to check) but if you are going to manually set them up from scratch, beware. That's the only drawback I can see - personally sick of paying AIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

If you look at this again u will see that the dd/so set up fee is part of the 12e maintenance fee. Free if meeting criteria, the fee you refer to is for a diff type of existing account. Not the new available one.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IsThisOneFree

Libera wrote: »
    In PTSB's fees, note there is a €5 charge for each direct debit and standing order set-up
    I guess you mean a one off fee, right ? Not a fee per payment (as it would be with AIB)
    personally sick of paying AIB!
    Oooh I hear ya loud and clear on that one my friend !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

In PTSB's fees, note there is a €5 charge for each direct debit and standing order set-up; this is currently free with AIB. They may not apply this when switching (need to check) but if you are going to manually set them up from scratch, beware. That's the only drawback I can see - personally sick of paying AIB!

I have set up several dd's with PTSB since January, with no charge.

• Advertisement

greenman09 wrote: »
    If you look at this again u will see that the dd/so set up fee is part of the 12e maintenance fee. Free if meeting criteria, the fee you refer to is for a diff type of existing account. Not the new available one.

Ah, thanks for that! I missed that bit somehow despite reading it! Sorry for false alert. So it looks like it's win-win to PTSB and bye-bye AIB! :p

dobsdave wrote: »
    I have set up several dd's with PTSB since January, with no charge.

Cheers. Pre-2nd April account, so different account and rules but it's been clarified now thanks to greenman09. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

PTSB rang me on time as requested. Two days later had my application pack in the post. A quick and painless process. Well done PTSB. Bye bye Bank of Ireland!

I ended up filling in the online form again as they didn't call me back the first time. I half put it down to a typo on my part when filling in the form, but they didn't call me at the allotted time the second time either. Eventually I got two phone calls in the same day .... all be it both were outside the time I had chosen :-D In any case, I certainly won't hold it against them - they were actually able to e-mail the form onto me immediately, so next day I had everything in the post back to them. Just waiting to get my A/C number and card now and then it's bye bye AIB fees .... woo hoo !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Its that easy. 1500pm and its free banking.

I ended up filling in the online form again as they didn't call me back the first time. I half put it down to a typo on my part when filling in the form, but they didn't call me at the allotted time the second time either. Eventually I got two phone calls in the same day .... all be it both were outside the time I had chosen :-D In any case, I certainly won't hold it against them - they were actually able to e-mail the form onto me immediately, so next day I had everything in the post back to them. Just waiting to get my A/C number and card now and then it's bye bye AIB fees .... woo hoo !!!

Weird I actually got 3 calls over the last few weeks :)

Thraxen wrote: »
    Weird I actually got 3 calls over the last few weeks :)
    Ha Ha .... were it some other bank, they might have reversed the charges ... or at least added the cost to your account fees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

I did the switch as well or better to say, am in the progress of doing so.
    I opened my account on Friday and felt really welcome in the Mitchelstown branch!
    They even take EU driver's licenses as proof of identity, which is fab as I'm still waiting for my passport (I'm German).

The guy took a lot of time to explain everything and I'm really tired of tossing money down AIB's throat to pay the quarterly fees. Even if I miss the 1.5k a month 8which i shouldn't because of wage going in but won't get it before May now), I'll pay 12€ a quarter. That#s still about half of my AIB costs. I might even apply for a credit card since it seems they don't have stupidly high income restrictions, I want to start building up a credit histoiry in case it is needed one day :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm definitely applying to have my current account with PTSB upgraded to this one - if it means I save a few quid - how much actually??

Also, if you're using your debit card to buy online do you still get charged the currency conversion fees and stuff?

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm definitely applying to have my current account with PTSB upgraded to this one - if it means I save a few quid - how much actually??

Also, if you're using your debit card to buy online do you still get charged the currency conversion fees and stuff?

Well the new PTSB account you get charged max €12 a quarter. However if you lodge the €1500 a month you get it all FREE. Btw if you withdraw say €1500 and then put it back in the account it registers as you lodging that amount and guess what :P tis free!!!

Now the debit card I am not sure but FYI Paypal, google wallet, amazon and so on will charge using your local currency but if you are using a checkout from a site that say will charge you £15 then it may cost you. Best ring em or email them though :)

• Advertisement

Thraxen wrote: »
    Well the new PTSB account you get charged max €12 a quarter. However if you lodge the €1500 a month you get it all FREE. Btw if you withdraw say €1500 and then put it back in the account it registers as you lodging that amount and guess what :P tis free!!!

Now the debit card I am not sure but FYI Paypal, google wallet, amazon and so on will charge using your local currency but if you are using a checkout from a site that say will charge you £15 then it may cost you. Best ring em or email them though :)

Thanks a mil! 12e a quarter - I had no idea I was paying that much - does that mean I'm paying 36e a year??!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

leahyl wrote: »
    Thanks a mil! 12e a quarter - I had no idea I was paying that much - does that mean I'm paying 36e a year??!! :eek:

dobsdave wrote: »

Sorry :o that's what I meant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Charges for using your debit card apply when the transaction is processed outside of the eurozone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

I'm a PTSB customer now :)

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I've been on fee free banking with PTSB for nearly 3 years with the exact same requirements they are talking about now. Don't see how this is a new account. My account is also paperless which is the same with this 'new' account. Seems to me they are just starting a new marketing campaign to get people to switch. With KBC entering the market soon and probably with free banking, AIB and BOI will have to get their finger out and offer something similar or there will be a mass exodus of customers to PTSB and KBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

LFCFan wrote: »
    I've been on fee free banking with PTSB for nearly 3 years with the exact same requirements they are talking about now. Don't see how this is a new account. My account is also paperless which is the same with this 'new' account. Seems to me they are just starting a new marketing campaign to get people to switch. With KBC entering the market soon and probably with free banking, AIB and BOI will have to get their finger out and offer something similar or there will be a mass exodus of customers to PTSB and KBC.
    I thought the same but it didn't stop UB introducing fees recently. I honestly thought the PTSB/KBC moves would make UB think twice about this...but apparently the didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Is the 1500 total lodgements per month or is it one lodgement of 1500?
    Im a PTSB customer and i get hit with fees every quarter, i lodge about 2500 a month but it's split weekly payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

This post has been deleted.

Great :) That'll be an annual saving of €120.

Advertisement