Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PTSB current account [was: PTSB €1500 a month? Should I open an account?]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Is the 1500 total lodgements per month or is it one lodgement of 1500?
    Im a PTSB customer and i get hit with fees every quarter, i lodge about 2500 a month but it's split weekly payments.

When I joined in January, the terms were 3000 and some transaction requirements.
    You might need to tell them you want to switch to this 'new' account.

LFCFan wrote: »
    I've been on fee free banking with PTSB for nearly 3 years with the exact same requirements they are talking about now. Don't see how this is a new account. My account is also paperless which is the same with this 'new' account. Seems to me they are just starting a new marketing campaign to get people to switch. With KBC entering the market soon and probably with free banking, AIB and BOI will have to get their finger out and offer something similar or there will be a mass exodus of customers to PTSB and KBC.

You were probably on an old account?
    The 1500 one wasn't available until 1st April or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Speak Now

dobsdave wrote: »
    When I joined in January, the terms were 3000 and some transaction requirements.
    You might need to tell them you want to switch to this 'new' account.

Yeah went in this afternoon and the switch was made in 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I want to switch but I only get paid 1420 P/M .

What if I was to leave 100 in the account all the time that would be 1520 or if I started a savings account with them online and transferred money across to the current account?

Is there really no bank left that won't charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You'd have to transfer it out and then back in again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

msg11 wrote: »
    I want to switch but I only get paid 1420 P/M .

What if I was to leave 100 in the account all the time that would be 1520 or if I started a savings account with them online and transferred money across to the current account?

Is there really no bank left that won't charge ?

Leaving the €100 in there will do nothing and you will still incur charges. Having money in a savings account that you then lodge into your current account will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

You need to make an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

I can only recommend them. I joined them just barely 3 weeks ago and run into some difficulties. They have been more than accommodating with approving funds even though my wage hadn't gone in yet (they had account print outs and a letter from my employer). Never received such good service from AIB in almost 3 years.

That was the Mitchelstown branch fyi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Have enquired and all looks good apart from the online only statements. I do like getting physical statements. However maybe for 100 a year Ill get over it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ceida

I just walked into my branch without an appointment btw and was all taken care of right away.

Deskjockey, if you wish a paper statement at some point you can order it for 2,50€ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Have enquired and all looks good apart from the online only statements. I do like getting physical statements. However maybe for 100 a year Ill get over it!!
    Don't be surprised if your current bank phases them out as well. I don't think any bank will be posting out statements in 10years.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

We opened accounts with PTSB. No way am I paying any bank account charges. It's the principle. And I'd rather have the money in our pockets than theirs. staying with UB now just encourages them and other banks to raise rats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

Kay I opened my account and my mother did so as well. It was up and working within the day. I received the card within a week and I am very happy already. The staff are friendly and can answer my questions without lying! It infuriates me to no end when BOI would blatantly lie.
    The switching team is attentive and talked me through the entire process. I have been a lil worried since one of my direct debits is a real pain though since it is not actually my own but instead my mothers bill. I simply pay it from my account and I am unsure how the switch will effect it.
    I am nearly coming to my end of using BOI. I cannot wait! It makes me sick thinking about how each transaction on BOI will cost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

i've been a tsb customer for about 12 years now and i hate paying bank charges.i had free banking for about a year when i was 16 but that was it.just got my quarterly fees yesterday of 40 euro.its a disgrace,they charge me on everything from counter transactions to online buying.i do get 1500+ pm into my bank and i still pay fees.do i have to go in to the bank and request to get switched over to the new deal?my wife keeps telling me to go to a different bank instead

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

i've been a tsb customer for about 12 years now and i hate paying bank charges.i had free banking for about a year when i was 16 but that was it.just got my quarterly fees yesterday of 40 euro.its a disgrace,they charge me on everything from counter transactions to online buying.i do get 1500+ pm into my bank and i still pay fees.do i have to go in to the bank and request to get switched over to the new deal?my wife keeps telling me to go to a different bank instead

Ring and ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

You can upgrade to the new account. Just ring them and they'll send you out a form with a freepost envelope to send back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Or you can go into the branch and they will do it then and there. Done it myself last week. Only took 10 minutes.

You need id and proof of address thats all

So, if I just use the online banking to switch my pay per week of 355 from the current account to the savings account and back again to the current account each week that will enable the free banking?

Also I have a loan with UlsterBank will I still have to pay fees with them? What way will this work..

I cannot believe not one bank is coming out with out straight free banking, they would wipe the floor. What is also amazing is that no one in government is directing one of the banks they own to do so.

When is the Europe Wide thing coming in so I can get away from the banking farce in this place..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

So, if I just use the online banking to switch my pay per week of 355 from the current account to the savings account and back again to the current account each week that will enable the free banking?

Also I have a loan with UlsterBank will I still have to pay fees with them? What way will this work..

I cannot believe not one bank is coming out with out straight free banking, they would wipe the floor. What is also amazing is that no one in government is directing one of the banks they own to do so.

When is the Europe Wide thing coming in so I can get away from the banking farce in this place..

You get 355 put into your current yeah? If you transfer to the savings and back into the current again each week that should be €2836 lodgement each month so well over. Actually to be fair with your 355 you are getting in €1420 each month. I would simply withdraw €100 and lodge it again straight away. You could use their ATM to withdraw and their lodgement machines (dependent on your branch) and it would be done within a couple min.

Hmm the loan I believe is what you would keep with Ulster Bank. For instance my mortgage is with AIB but I now bank with PTSB.
    I have to say they are brilliant I just got all my stuff switched over and it was no stress. Plus you would not believe how amazing it is to be able to use my Debit card in any shop for any amount without thinking "Ow I am gonna have to add 28c to that". I used that contactless pay thing with the card the other day for a coffee worth €1.20 I love it!!

Whats the Europe wide thing you talk of?
    I know they should be trying to get rid of real money and start to get more people using cards.

Cheers..

Any Europe wide banking (don't know the term) but basically you can use what ever bank you like within Europe so banks in the UK which are free etc..

Got a call back today from the same person who's been dealing with my application since day one. She went through everything and gave me my account number and my log in details for internet banking.

Top notch service all the way. They would blow BOI and AIB out of the water.

Looks like I am going to get charged €12 for this quarter as I wont have enough time to lodge the required amount of money, but after that It will be FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, I used to transfer €10 a week into all my utility bills but gave up when charges came in and I am in arrears will all bills for the first time in months. Cant wait for transaction free banking.

The only troubling thing is I know of a few other people who dont eat when the charges for their banking comes out but they are terrified to change banks in case their social welfare payment is disrupted. This is really sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

When I asked about the quarterly charges since I wouldn't be able to get 1.5k in in April, the adviser told me that I shouldn't have to pay it because of a grace period (or w/e the name is). If I'm charged the fee he told me to come back and he would take care of a refund. That should work for you as well, wmpdd3 :).

So I'm all set up, I moved all he DD's and payments myself. These forms might help anyone looking to move:

To move Child Benefit:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/cb56.pdf

To move TV licence DD to new account.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    So I'm all set up, I moved all he DD's and payments myself. These forms might help anyone looking to move:

To move Child Benefit:

To move TV licence DD to new account.

FYI, you've linked the same form twice.
    I think with TV licence DD, it has to be in the last month running up to renewal.
    Has anyone else attempted it 'mid-term'?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

UB will convert your current account to a "service account" that carries no fees, but can only be used to service the loan(s) with UB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I posted off the completed forms, proof of address, ID etc on Monday to PTSB. Didnt opt for the "Switch" method, going to do it manually myself.

Has anyone opened an account recently? How long before I get my account number / sort code?

Not overly worried about how long it takes to get the Visa card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Has anyone opened an account recently? How long before I get my account number / sort code?

I got a call 3 days after sending off the documentation to say they received them and all was in order.

5 working days later my documents were returned.

8 working days later I got a number of letters from PTSB. Account number and sort code in 1 and Visa debit card in another.

Visa pin arrived a day later.

You need to ring them once you have received all of these as you have to register and assign your password for Open24 over the phone.

Advertisement