Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday v's going for a pint

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Which of course leads us to the fact that we should, as the best placed country in Europe have an amazing fishing/fish processing industry. But no, we export it all or give away our rights to it as the church has taught the Irish to believe that fish is a penance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think that has much more to do with EU regulations and making profits that the RCC...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I know that some private clubs like GAA/Rugby etc open on Xmas Day - I know this as every single Xmas day of my childhood my dear Father would arrive late for dinner, pissed, and start a fight having spent the morning drinking in a certain Cork GAA clubhouse. Is this not also the case for Good Friday?

I am not much of a drinker but as my grandfather was a founder of said GAA club I am, apparently, an honorary member and thus 'entitled' to have a pint there today(maybe) - and definitely Xmas morning.

I also remember playing rugby matches on Good Friday - one year someone gave out stink that the after match food was meat lasagne and then the same person proceeded to drink the bar dry of bottles of Heineken. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I always keep a few ready in my wine cellar for days such as this.

Lucca-wine-cellar.jpg

Pffft. You lightweight.

Here's my little stash.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSx3qQmiqkkpeKSWPkNleO-XhcUZ-sjHAwvivowpTgdj7Ux-tQX

As for the law prohibiting the sale of alcohol on Good Friday. Anyone who fails to see the sheer stupidity of this curltailment of freedom is living in the dark ages.

Nobody is forcing anyone to go to the pub. So let those who wish to follow their belief do so, but let those who enjoy a drink on a Friday evening in the company of friends do so as well.

The fact that the state still sanctions such a drachonian law clearly illustrates the interferance between church and state.

For those arguing that its only one day and gives us a chance to cut back on our alcohol consumption as a nation, who are they kidding?

The only people who benefit from this outdated piece of legislation are the off licences whose turnover is increased threefold on the day before Good Friday.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think that has much more to do with EU regulations and making profits that the RCC...

Yes, the EU regulations we didn't fight in the '70s as we didn't see fish as a resource.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Popinjay wrote: »
    No, no, no, no!

A hambag is actually the ultimate Xmas accessory. It's the cloth bag that you soak in vinegar and water to keep your cooked ham fresh all the way into the new year so that you can have heaps of hang and turkey sangwiches with cheese 'n onion tayto.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEpmrh79lnTmnCOvosRQNYP1ldsJIdWKwKhxTJPw5OgMcKOpuS

My mam had never seen these before she came to visit me a few years ago and pissed herself laughing because it sounded like handbag if you're from Dublin.

I had to send one to each of my aunties the following Xmas. I bought a whole shop out of ones like the picture and had to buy a different, less cool one for myself.

On-topic: The pubs close here too. I haven't been in a pub yet this year and I still think it's stupid.

:D Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Ripped off. My local was selling them for a euro a pop yesterday.

Hell's Creek is a bit far away unfortunately. That's an amazing deal though. The sell-by-date is march 2013 but that means nothing to me.

I'll have to go shopping for dinner shortly. I'm thinking of beef for meat, chicken for veg and pork for potato.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'll have to go shopping for dinner shortly. I'm thinking of beef for meat, chicken for veg and pork for potato.

I am currently boiling a ham that is bigger than my head, granted I do have a small head but it's still a seriously big ham. We shall eat it tonight with the grandkids (and tomorrow night...and the night after... kids here for a week - they like ham.)

If I get peckish while waiting I have some smokey paprika drumsticks I made last night to snack on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Bah!

I'm visiting my parents for a couple of days, arrived this afternoon absolutely starving, no one home. I found a couple of chicken fillets in the fridge, had the pan heating to fry them, when my parents came in, and wouldn't let me have them!! Because of the Good Friday thing! I didn't argue - their house (and their chicken fillets!), so their rules. Pain in the ass though. I had to settle for Cornflakes instead.

So then I offered to make dinner. Was getting excited about it, I was going to make up some sort of delicious vegetarian dish involving mushrooms and spinach and asparagus and garlic and maybe quinoa made in a creamy peppercorn sauce ... but, no, "It's Good Friday, we have to have fish!"

I don't eat fish. And I wouldn't cook it for someone else either - fish is ick.

Whatever about not eating meat on Good Friday ... where the feck does this notion that you have to eat fish come from?! :confused:

I'm still going to make my mushroomy thing tomorrow. But with added chicken and bacon. And it's gonna be awesome!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ok but, and don't freak out here, I know the decoder ring is somewhere round the house.:(

But how do you decode the secret messages left by the atheist illuminati without the decoder ring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ripped off. My local was selling them for a euro a pop yesterday.

WHERE!!?!!? (hopefully nearer to me than Glasnevin!)

Glass bottles are a feckin' PITA to recycle whereas cans just get flattened and tossed into the green bin :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Mmmmmm roast beef and a bottle of red!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I support the ban on Good Friday. As a country that was dependent on religion, I don't want to just see a country dependant on alcohol.

I don't. I fail to see how this one day ban has any effect on alcohol abuse. It simply engenders resentment against religion by those who see it as a sectarian imposition. I do, however, favour closing on Christmas Day, and for maybe a week before Christmas too. Nothing to do with religion, but anyone with first-hand experience of how abuse of alcohol at Christmas damages family life in this country would, I think, agree. OK, some will say the innocent shouldn't suffer for the wrongs of others, but there seems to be no other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Dades wrote: »
    I don't really give a damn that GF exists (I have small kids... what's a pub?) but this notion that just because (a) a prohibition already exists and (b) it's less important than the plight of the New Zealand Kakapo doesn't mean people can't complain and offer an opinion.

Hey! Leave the poor Kakapo out of this!

Although seeing 'god' created the Kakapo, I don't see any good reason why he can't save them himself! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Dades wrote: »
    I feel for ya. I'll be playing this Holy Thursday and Easter Saturday. :) Easter football ftw.
    I don't really give a damn that GF exists (I have small kids... what's a pub?) but this notion that just because (a) a prohibition already exists and (b) it's less important than the plight of the New Zealand Kakapo doesn't mean people can't complain and offer an opinion.
    The kakapo, being a nocturnal parrot, should eminently fit in in most Irish pubs, more so on Good Friday or after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The Government have no place in telling people when they can or cannot drink.

It is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I support the ban on Good Friday. As a country that was dependent on religion, I don't want to just see a country dependant on alcohol.

So do I.

BAN Good Friday. A friend came round and drank all my beer because he was a lazy bugger and hadn't an anticipatory bone in his body. I ate my fish and chips and glared.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I've the day off and its not coming from my holidays, its not uncommon.

Also, there are people who lose a days holidays, but work on the day!
    Get paid a days holiday pay but also get paid overtime for going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Just go to a hotel in future. Private residences are free to offer alcohol. I was sitting in the Aisling hotel in Dublin yesterday and everyone was lashing back the pints.

I believe if you bought an inter-county rail ticket you could drink in Connolly Station's bar. I think the Irish people's tenacity when it comes to exploiting loopholes on Good Friday shows just how poor a means of "curbing Ireland's drink problem" it is. Anyone who things banning alcohol sales on Good Friday is saving us from our own alcohol consumption is deluding themselves.

• Advertisement

I believe if you bought an inter-county rail ticket you could drink in Connolly Station's bar. I think the Irish people's tenacity when it comes to exploiting loopholes on Good Friday shows just how poor a means of "curbing Ireland's drink problem" it is. Anyone who things banning alcohol sales on Good Friday is saving us from our own alcohol consumption is deluding themselves.

This. It'd be pretty hard to measure, but I am fairly sure that this law's only affect is on the national ingenuity and organisational skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Potent whiskey and Bacon salad, followed by the most tender steak I've had in months, followed by an extra-irish coffee. Not a bad Friday. Just finished another season of blasphemous unholy podcast recording too. Brunch tomorrow while the crazies are off at mass. Decent Unholy Weekend all round, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Bruised and battered after channelling the great Jorge Campos yesterday I might reconsider my love for the day off :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

He was a legend! The 1994 World Cup remains my greatest tournament ever. :)

I well remember Campos though Baggio was, and will always be, my man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I agree while also saying that Irish people and society have a serious issue with drink in general. We as a nation drink way too much and far too many things Center around drink or the pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Dubl07 wrote: »
    A friend came round and drank all my beer because he was a lazy bugger and hadn't an anticipatory bone in his body. I ate my fish and chips and glared.

As you sat there glaring and devouring the Donegal Catch, did you not anticipate the likelihood that 'all' your beer would eventually be gone as he continued drinking his way through the liquid contents of your fridge? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Lapin wrote: »
    As you sat there glaring and devouring the Donegal Catch, did you not anticipate the likelihood that 'all' your beer would eventually be gone as he continued drinking his way through the liquid contents of your fridge? :confused:

"Fridge"? He even drank the warm beer. :eek: Poor bloke was in a bad way though - it's hard to find a hair of the dog on GF.

Sounds to me like you just got mooched...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

feargale wrote: »
    The kakapo, being a nocturnal parrot, should eminently fit in in most Irish pubs, more so on Good Friday or after hours.
    God endowed the Kakapo with natural beer goggles, because there are no pubs in New Zealand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Dear XXX,

Thank you for contacting me about this matter. Personally I think it is outdated, but it is a matter for the Minister for Justice to bring a proposal to Cabinet to change the law. I will pass on your views to him and I will keep you updated.

Regards,
    Leo

Advertisement