Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday v's going for a pint

Options
  • 27-03-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

There are few things I like better than a few pints with friends on a Friday evening. Unfortunately this Friday I'm not allowed. So, people be you atheist, agnostic or religious, if you wish to see an end to this outdated law, please email your poilitian to make them aware that we are not satisfied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

In before "Can ya not jusht go without dar drink fer ONE DAAAAEEEEEEY!!!!"

Sacrilicious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I get a paid day off work.
    Seems a fair trade off to me.

Some battles are worth fighting. This isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Galvasean wrote: »

I hate that argument. I've been without drink every since the previous Friday!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I always keep a few ready in my wine cellar for days such as this.

Lucca-wine-cellar.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I suppose we really should start voicing our unhappiness about this, but since I don't' really drink I keep forgetting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't really think that the state should have any imposed holidays. If individual businesses want to contrive reasons to close or pay their staff extra money than that should be their prerogative - not that of the government.

I don't give a ****e about the specific issue. The state shouldn't dictate when you can and can't buy legal goods. Either make them illegal and ban them or treat us like the free citizens we are and **** off.
    It is, of course, doubly annoying that they're ignoring a hugely important issue in any free country that the church and state should have nothing to do with one another. To me that's a side issue though.

They could ban the sale of alcohol on Friday for any other reason and it would still be bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    There are few things I like better than a few pints with friends on a Friday evening. Unfortunately this Friday I'm not allowed. So, people be you atheist, agnostic or religious, if you wish to see an end to this outdated law, please email your poilitian to make them aware that we are not satisfied.

I support the ban on Good Friday. As a country that was dependent on religion, I don't want to just see a country dependant on alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I support the ban on Good Friday. As a country that was dependent on religion, I don't want to just see a country dependant on alcohol.

But, if anything, it has the opposite effect. People panic buy on the Thursday, and often go out of their way to get extra hammered on GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This literally makes no sense on so many levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

Zamboni wrote: »
    I get a paid day off work.
    Seems a fair trade off to me.

Some battles are worth fighting. This isn't one.

Its a day out of your Holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

and you thing that stopping selling alcohol on a good friday is going to change our already alcohol dependant country? That might be a statment to far but we do like to drink, some of us responsibly, some of not so.
    Most people who drink will be in the off license / supermarket tomorrow to stock up for Friday. I know I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Either trolling or posting in the wrong forum mate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I don't want to just see a country dependant on alcohol.
    You can see how effective prohibition is by visiting your local off-license any time after around five on "Holy" Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, it's well documented that being unable to purchase alcohol for two days in the year staves off alcoholism.

Lifting the Good Friday ban would be just the start. What next Joe?! If we decide it's OK to sell alcohol on good friday, then we'll have to sell beer in our primary schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

You are allowed to have a few pints tomorrow.

robindch wrote: »
    You can see how effective prohibition is by visiting your local off-license any time after around five on "Holy" Thursday.
    Yeah that's pretty funny and sad at the sametime. A reminder that so many people are so dependent on alcohol.

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, it's well documented that being unable to purchase alcohol for two days in the year staves off alcoholism.

Lifting the Good Friday ban would be just the start. What next Joe?! If we decide it's OK to sell alcohol on good friday, then we'll have to sell beer in our primary schools!

You're missing the point. The very fact that people get freaked out by the pubs being closed for one day is a reminder to people like me that we are still very much an alcohol centric society.

It's a not a solution, it's a reminder of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You're missing the point. The very fact that people get freaked out by the pubs being closed for one day is a reminder to people like me that we are still very much an alcohol centric society.

It's a not a solution, it's a reminder of a problem.

Im afraid you are actually wrong.

Prohibition doesnt work. As clearly demonstrated last by the largest Western Nation.

Fact is telling people they cant do something makes them want it more.

There isnt an issue with alcohol its the treatment of it through legislation driven through poor information.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    You are allowed to have a few pints tomorrow.

Yeah, but I've to work on Friday, I'd like to relax in my local on Friday evening with some friends as I've no work on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Seriously, its one ****ing day. If this is all that's bothering you about Friday then you need something else in your life.

People just love to complain about something.

All my opinion of course but its funny in a very very sad way.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Or, maybe it's just a case of some people being annoyed at the fact a religion they do not follow impacts on their normal Friday night activities.

listermint wrote: »
    Im afraid you are actually wrong.

Prohibition doesnt work. As clearly demonstrated last by the largest Western Nation.

Fact is telling people they cant do something makes them want it more.

There isnt an issue with alcohol its the treatment of it through legislation driven through poor information.

I am afraid a lot of people are missing the point. I am not arguing prohibition I am pointing to problem awareness. I don't have a solution to Ireland's alcoholic problems or overly alcoholic centric society.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Or, maybe it's just a case of some people being annoyed at the fact a religion they do not follow impacts on their normal Friday night activities.

Well tell the same people to go to work on Easter Monday then.

Seriously - religious apartheid in schools and this stuff?

Beruthiel wrote: »

this also applies to this:
    joe123 wrote: »
    Seriously, its one ****ing day. If this is all that's bothering you about Friday then you need something else in your life.

People just love to complain about something.

All my opinion of course but its funny in a very very sad way.

Well tell the same people to go to work on Easter Monday then.

Seriously - religious apartheid in schools and this stuff?

Just like xmas and all souls / saints day, easter is a pagan holiday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Galvasean wrote: »
    joe123 wrote: »
    Seriously, its one ****ing day.
    Hello. We've been expecting (someone like) you.

Just like xmas and all souls / saints day, easter is a pagan holiday.

The word good comes from god - I'll stop saying that out of protest too. And I won't say "dia dhuit" ever again either.

Seriously...

1 million children die every year because they can't get simple medicine for diarrhea. More important things.

The word good comes from god - I'll stop saying that out of protest too. And I won't say "dia dhuit" ever again either.

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

1 million children die every year because they can't get simple medicine for diarrhea. More important things.

What an amazingly stupid thing to post on a debate forum.
    I guess we may as well close every thread on the website and change this to starvingchildren.ie.:rolleyes:

Advertisement