Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday v's going for a pint

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

1 million children die every year because they can't get simple medicine for diarrhea.
    Very sad and all that, wipes tear from eye. But not sure how they are relevant to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The word good comes from god - I'll stop saying that out of protest too. And I won't say "dia dhuit" ever again either.

Seriously...

1 million children die every year because they can't get simple medicine for diarrhea. More important things.

Why don't you get off the interweb and help the poor childer so?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Huh?

Apparently we're not allowed to complain about Catholicism impacting on our lives because 500 years ago 'good' was spelled 'gód'.

Oh, Tim. I've been told by some Irish speaking atheists that 'Bhueil' (pronounced 'Well')* is an acceptable alternative to 'dia dhuit', in case you were wondering

* As a Deise lass, this makes me quite happy. "Well" is a standard greeting in Waterford, and it tickled me to know that it's somehow an original Irish greeting, instead of some weird saying like the rest of the country thinks it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

clickhere wrote: »
    Its a day out of your Holidays.

Oh no it isn't :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

1 million children die every year because they can't get simple medicine for diarrhea. More important things.
    Ah, now seriously. Are we going to go down this road? There's more important things so STFU?

Can that not be said about virtually every "issue" someone has on Boards? From being bullied at work, ripped off, kids rejected from a school for not being catholic, putting on weight, Firefly cancelled... and so on.

That there's always a more important problem doesn't mean every niche forum should pipe down and suck up whatever meaningless gripes they have.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    What an amazingly stupid thing to post on a debate forum.
    Step it back a bit. We don't want this thread to disintegrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

joe123 wrote: »
    Seriously, its one ****ing day. If this is all that's bothering you about Friday then you need something else in your life.

People just love to complain about something.

All my opinion of course but its funny in a very very sad way.
    Its terrible, Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dades wrote: »
    Ah, now seriously. Are we going to go down this road? There's more important things so STFU?

Can that not be said about virtually every "issue" someone has on Boards? From being bullied at work, ripped off, kids rejected from a school for not being catholic, putting on weight, Firefly cancelled... and so on.

That there's always a more important problem doesn't mean every niche forum should pipe down and suck up whatever meaningless gripes they have.

It still hurts, dammit :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hello. We've been expecting (someone like) you.

No but seriously though. Thats like me wanting to complain oh I dont know, the local astro pitch being closed on a bank holiday Monday. Usually every Monday I want to play football.

Its closed for the day. Fair enough, Im not going to bitch and moan about it.

More important things in life. But no, because people get in such a fuss over religion they NEED to complain.

Whatever. Have at it people. If it passes the time for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

Zamboni wrote: »
    Oh no it isn't :pac:

I would be very interested in knowing what employers give you good fridays off ,pays you,and dosent count it as a holiday. I know it comes out of my holidays.How are other people fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Like said earlier our whole alcohol restriction times in Ireland are a joke. What makes this worse than others though is the fact that the ban is solely religiously based (like the Sunday morning ban).

There are not that many long weekends off in the year that gives me the opportunity to meet up with friends back in my hometown. I meet up with different groups of friends so the handiest place to meet is in a pub in the town (there are no late opening cafes and none of us rent or own in the town so meeting up at someone's place is not an option). This stupid ban means that I cannot use the most convenient day for me to meet up which would be the friday evening/night. I would be less annoyed if the ban was for the good of the country or something like that (obviously if there was evidence of that) but there is no good reason other than ignorant forced religious reasons (ignorant because there is not even a rule in catholicism that says that alcohol shouldn't be consumed on that day)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

No but seriously though. Thats like me wanting to complain oh I dont know, the local astro pitch being closed on a bank holiday Monday. Usually every Monday I want to play football.

Its closed for the day. Fair enough, Im not going to bitch and moan about it.

More important things in life. But no, because people get in such a fuss over religion they NEED to complain.

Whatever. Have at it people. If it passes the time for ye.

Nothing is stopping the astro's from opening on the Bank Holiday - there isn't a law that says it has to shut down because it's a bank holiday - if the owner of the astro's wants to open on Christmas Day he can if he wants - it's his choice. But there isn't a law in place that says he cannot open his astroturf pitches for use on a bank holiday.

However selling alcohol on a Good Friday is banned though by law - if an atheist/(any other faith) barman wants to open and serve customers he cannot because by a law based on a Catholic tradition is preventing him from doing so - hence the problem is with the Catholic tradition and hence the problem is with the law. If there was no law in place and people were allowed to choose there's nothing that would stop every barman in the country from shutting up shop on Good Friday based on their beliefs. And I'm sure most of us could live with that as their would be an alternative assuming you could find at least one bar that would choose to ignore the religious festival that means nothing to them.

It's very simple - most people around here can accept that most local shops will choose not to open on Christmas day so we plan around it. However if there was a law banning people from working on a Christmas day there'd be the exact same discussion here about that come Christmas time.

If you don't wish to drink on Good Friday - good for you. But let the rest of us get on with our lives and do as we wish on the 29 March 2013. It's just another Friday to the rest of us that aren't Catholics.

I would be very interested in knowing what employers give you good fridays off ,pays you,and dosent count it as a holiday. I know it comes out of my holidays.How are other people fixed.

I've the day off and its not coming from my holidays, its not uncommon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I'm all for not buying alcohol on a few days every year.
    However, I like to choose the days of abstinence myself, and not be dictated to by church or state on such an inconsequential matter.

A random wednesday in October or a tuesday in February sounds good to me, but feel free to pick days which suit you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Nothing is stopping the astro's from opening on the Bank Holiday - there isn't a law that says it has to shut down because it's a bank holiday - if the owner of the astro's wants to open on Christmas Day he can if he wants - it's his choice. But there isn't a law in place that says he cannot open his astroturf pitches for use on a bank holiday.

However selling alcohol on a Good Friday is banned though by law - if an atheist/(any other faith) barman wants to open and serve customers he cannot because by a law based on a Catholic tradition is preventing him from doing so - hence the problem is with the Catholic tradition and hence the problem is with the law. If there was no law in place and people were allowed to choose there's nothing that would stop every barman in the country from shutting up shop on Good Friday based on their beliefs. And I'm sure most of us could live with that as their would be an alternative assuming you could find at least one bar that would choose to ignore the religious festival that means nothing to them.

It's very simple - most people around here can accept that most local shops will choose not to open on Christmas day so we plan around it. However if there was a law banning people from working on a Christmas day there'd be the exact same discussion here about that come Christmas time.

If you don't wish to drink on Good Friday - good for you. But let the rest of us get on with our lives and do as we wish on the 29 March 2013. It's just another Friday to the rest of us that aren't Catholics.

I can see where your coming from regarding the law aspect but is it that big of a deal? I dont really care either way if people drink or not.

I just find it a bit mundane that people get so annoyed over such a small thing. Is it so bad that someone cant go to the pub for one night?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Like I mention above, our company closes and takes it out of holidays, but we do get an extra day's holidays to compensate. So we get 21 instead of the mandatory 20, one of which is used for Good Friday.

The reason they do this instead of just giving us a paid day off is probably some kind of taxation/balance sheet thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Well the Library (in Fingal anyway) closes every bank holiday weekend on a Saturday. That is way more annoying. There's a bit of aggressive secularism going on here folks.

It is good the pubs are closed every now and again - just like it is good that you get a few days off every now and again.

Chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

Thanks ,what is your days leave recorded as then.

Thanks ,what is your days leave recorded as then.

No idea, its not taken out of my allowance. Beyond that I don't care.

Well say thanks to Jesus now Rev. I get a seat on the train.

Anyway I love Easter. Definitely my favourite religious festival and hoping you all have a great one. The best one ever was probably Billy Nasty in 1995 - classic.

• Advertisement

Well say thanks to Jesus now Rev. I get a seat on the train.
    Thank you Jesus !

I feel for ya. I'll be playing this Holy Thursday and Easter Saturday. :) Easter football ftw.

I don't really give a damn that GF exists (I have small kids... what's a pub?) but this notion that just because (a) a prohibition already exists and (b) it's less important than the plight of the New Zealand Kakapo doesn't mean people can't complain and offer an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Saying it's about moaning because people want a pint is missing the point completely.

Why does religion still have any input on our private lives? Why is it enforced by the government? Either it's ok for them to do, including banning divorce and condoms (but surely that could never happen:rolleyes:), or it isn't.

It's about being annoyed at a system that is still beholden to the catholic church. Saying it's trivial doesn't make it right.
    It's the systemic flaws that are the problem, not the incidental nuiscance of not being able to buy drink.

A random wednesday in October or a tuesday in February sounds good to me, but feel free to pick days which suit you better.
    Indeed - if we had Good Tuesday somehow I think this issue would interest less people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I can see where your coming from regarding the law aspect but is it that big of a deal? I dont really care either way if people drink or not.

I just find it a bit mundane that people get so annoyed over such a small thing. Is it so bad that someone cant go to the pub for one night?

Hands off my freedom to choose how to spend my leisure time, end of story.

I feel for ya. I'll be playing this Holy Thursday and Easter Saturday. :) Easter football ftw.

I don't really give a damn that GF exists (I have small kids... what's a pub?) but this notion that just because (a) a prohibition already exists and (b) it's less important than the plight of the New Zealand Kakapo doesn't mean people can't complain and offer an opinion.
    I am actually saying I think it's a good idea it exists; not just that you should moan about something else.

I am actually saying I think it's a good idea it exists; not just that you should moan about something else.
    Isn't it important (and counter-productive) that it exists for entirely the wrong reason? It's not a genuine attempt to raise awareness of an issue - it's a echo from our past. And a past that irritatingly for many still sticks it's nose in other people's business.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Indeed - if we had Good Tuesday somehow I think this issue would interest less people.

Pretty much, people like a pint with their mates after work on a Friday, this isn't exactly an uncommon thing. Why should someone else's religion affect that, and why in the blue fcuk should this be the law of the land?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

In the fairytale Jesus rose from the dead 3 days after being crucified.

But Good Friday + 3days = Easter Monday :confused:

Not the MOST confusing part of the sceal though ;)

Crucified and rose from the dead?
    Must be talking about Tiger Woods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I'd protest that too by writing to my T.D.s , I just hate being told what to do by the cathoholics.

Advertisement