Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RuPaul's Drag Race

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

God the wrong person was sent home!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

haro124 wrote: »
    God the wrong person was sent home!!!

Bit of a shocker this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I feel sorry for
    Manila
    . I wasn't set on her winning but I wanted her to go further in the competition and fight it out with the best.
    Latrice
    needs to go,
    Monet
    needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Manila should have stayed but Naomi made the right choice. Naomi would have been on the chopping block for definite next week if she had eliminated Latrice - now its at least between Latrice and Naomi next week.

If she gets through next week, shes in the top 4, and its Ru's decision from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Manila should have stayed but Naomi made the right choice. Naomi would have been on the chopping block for definite next week if she had eliminated Latrice - now its at least between Latrice and Naomi next week.
    If she gets through next week, shes in the top 4, and its Ru's decision from there...

At first I was annoyed at Naomi's choice but Manila said at the start she would play the game and consider getting rid of her biggest competitor. She also would have saved Latrice over Monet when Latrice was the weakest that week.

I like Naomi and Trinity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Not surprised at who went home this week. It wasn't a great challenge anyway and they all kinda did OK, apart from
    Naomi Smalls

At this point, I can't really see anyone but
    Trinity The Tuck
    winning this but it wouldn't surprise me if Ru chose
    Monique or Monét
    to win, but
    seeing as they are both S10 queens it seems a bit early for them to be entering and winning an All Star competition anyway, but that's just my opinion. They also didn't really wow me during the season, but then again, neither did Trixie, who I love, and she still won, so who knows...?

There is no way in hell that
    Naomi Smalls
    is winning All Stars 4. Oh at all.

Well that was a crock of old sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭kg703

Well that was a crock of old sh!t.

The editing....

The editing....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

it was very obvious they filmed the winners separately like they do at the main show finale, but then decided the outcome after and had to cobble it together.

It was such a let down.

Season 11 starts tonight on US TV and the episodes are available on Netflix every Friday morning at around 8am for us.

As a bonus, Netflix finally have Untucked as well so you'll be able to watch that after the main episode!

• Advertisement

I'm sure I'm missing something but I don't get the excitement for
    Brook Lynn Hytes

Surprised that I am glad Vanjie is back. Hope she keeps up the work and doesn't over indulge the 'vanjie' thing, which she didn't in this episode.

As to the results. Sort of sad that
    Soju
    left even though I get the reasons. I thought she might make a more entertaining character than some other queens who frankly seem of variations of a theme.

I'm sure I'm missing something but I don't get the excitement for
    Brook Lynn Hytes

Surprised that I am glad Vanjie is back. Hope she keeps up the work and doesn't over indulge the 'vanjie' thing, which she didn't in this episode.

I like Brooklyn (I don't think there's a need for spoiler tags there, the cast list has been freely available and even Wow have been releasing interviews etc with the S11 cast for a while now...) a lot. She's polished, chill and interesting.

Vanjie is great. Like you said she didn't overegg the 'Miss Vaaaaaanjie!' thing and she knocked it out of the park I think. Be interesting to see where she goes from here, especially when we get to acting challenges etc.

There's been quite a backlash within the King community to Miley Cyrus in 'drag'. Given that RuPaul seems to think the only valid drag is Queening, it's really quite unsurprising that they stuck a ****ty beard on her, left her girl makeup on and called it drag. Now, I know she didn't call it kinging, but still. I know that there are a lot of US kings who apply every single year and honestly are far superior in their craft than some of the dregs we get every year. It's frustrating as a king myself to see so little attention paid and such disrespect shown.

I'm not surprised, but I'm still annoyed.

I like Brooklyn (I don't think there's a need for spoiler tags there, the cast list has been freely available and even Wow have been releasing interviews etc with the S11 cast for a while now...) a lot. She's polished, chill and interesting.

Vanjie is great. Like you said she didn't overegg the 'Miss Vaaaaaanjie!' thing and she knocked it out of the park I think. Be interesting to see where she goes from here, especially when we get to acting challenges etc.

There's been quite a backlash within the King community to Miley Cyrus in 'drag'. Given that RuPaul seems to think the only valid drag is Queening, it's really quite unsurprising that they stuck a ****ty beard on her, left her girl makeup on and called it drag. Now, I know she didn't call it kinging, but still. I know that there are a lot of US kings who apply every single year and honestly are far superior in their craft than some of the dregs we get every year. It's frustrating as a king myself to see so little attention paid and such disrespect shown.

I'm not surprised, but I'm still annoyed.

Thanks. I'm never sure when to spoiler and not.

I did not know about this issue in relation to Drag Race. I do know that Ru hasn't precisely covered himself in glory when it comes to several issues lately, in particular trans issues (and also 'Judy Garland threw the first brick...').

I liked Miley on the show, wasn't mad about the disguise element, but I appreciated that she was really participating throughout the episode. I was so shocked by the season where Lisa Kudrow (and others after) just appeared for two seconds, didn't seem to know or get drag and just vanished after.

Do Drag Kings feel that they would get a fair shot at the title in this competition? I certainly wouldn't if I was one.

I liked Miley on the show, wasn't mad about the disguise element, but I appreciated that she was really participating throughout the episode. I was so shocked by the season where Lisa Kudrow (and others after) just appeared for two seconds, didn't seem to know or get drag and just vanished after.

I think when there are queer guest judges you can see how they excited they are and how much they enjoy being among their community. That was obviously the case with Miley. I think she did great, my issue is not with her at all.

Do Drag Kings feel that they would get a fair shot at the title in this competition? I certainly wouldn't if I was one.

I wouldn’t but I think what annoys the Kings- especially those Kings in the US who are trying to make a living performing - is that while the show has brought huge exposure to drag, it’s ALL about drag queens. Which is only half of drag. Ru claims to be a beacon for drag, but really it’s about drag queens.

If Ru, for example, were to bring a well known king like Murray Hill or Spikey Van Dikey in as a guest judge, or even had a king transformation challenge it would go some way to recognize that drag isn’t just about female impersonation.

There were better outfits than the queen who won this week on that runway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

I was very skeptical of this season at the start, and but last nights lip sync was probably one of the best ever

Last nights lip sync is tied with Alyssa/Tatianna as probably the best one in the shows herstory.

Last night's lip sync was truly a moment in DR herstory.
    To the extent that my more crazy side was wondering about conspiracies
    Send Silky home, please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

And Vanjie

Last night's lip sync was truly a moment in DR herstory.
    To the extent that my more crazy side was wondering about conspiracies

They both had to be in bottom 2 JUST because of Snatch Game tbh. It's why i hate Snatch Game usually. It's a very specific challenge that suits a minority of the queens each season.

Also I never know who 90% of the 'celebrities' that they're impersonating are!
    [/QUOTE]

Oh GOD yes please.
    Barna77 wrote: »
    And Vanjie

Noooooo! I love her, although she really does need to change up the silhouette a bit. Ok, so Bianca won her season basically wearing the same dress in different fabrics but she did change up wigs, makeup and took critique on board about those things enough to avoid getting read for it.

I am super confused by Plastique, what's she playing at? Her stories are all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Noooooo! I love her, although she really does need to change up the silhouette a bit. Ok, so Bianca won her season basically wearing the same dress in different fabrics but she did change up wigs, makeup and took critique on board about those things enough to avoid getting read for it.

Can't be bothered about what she wears. She's so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I was delighted the Yvie and Brook Lynn stayed. They and Nina are my favourites of the season.
    I think Scarlet was totally robbed! Ra'jah was a pain so I was happy for her to go.

Silky is my least favourite. She is so loud and obnoxious and I don't like her runway looks. Her saying she'd rather lipsync than try something new with her drag really grated on me. Time for her to get the BOOT!

And from one of the best lip syncs in the shows herstory to one of the worst. Annoyingly, after it, the wrong queen went home. I could have probably coped with a double elimination better than seeing Nina go home. Silky, for all her bragging about ready to turn a MF lip sync etc. was completely limp during it. The wig reveal and splits were do boring. Ru summed it up perfectly. Meh. I hope this helps queens realise that a wig reveal or split does not a good lip sync make. Sell the song, which Nina was doing alright at, instead of hugging the back wall and throwing yourself around for no reason. Ru and the producers clearly want Silky in the top 4 if not to win the whole thing. I really hope at this point either Brooke or Yvie win. Even A'Keria at this point... just not Silky.

PFMC84 wrote: »
    I could have probably coped with a double elimination better than seeing Nina go home.

100% this. It wasn't a good performance from Nina - I don't think it was her style of song at all, and you do have to take that into account. Not all queens or performers in general can sell every type of song at a lip sync.

But Jesus Silky is just... awful. Truly awful. She's gotten worse if anything as the weeks have gone by. Nina would be a perfect Queen to win - but she's too 'nice' for Ru, who likes to think she's still at the forefront of what drag is, and she think that has to be someone 'edgy' or young. Nina is neither of those things but by all accounts she a professional entertainer who has done the rounds and knows what's what. I know who I'd pick to go and see a 1-woman show from out of the Queens that competed this year and it sure as hell isn't Silky.

Honestly, I think RPDR is coming to the end of its life. The Houses and families are repeating themselves, which means the styles of drag are repeating themselves. The challenges are either boring or rehashes of previous years, and the Queens on the show are so savvy as to playing for the cameras.

I've said it before, a great way to put some energy back into the format is to allow Kings to compete. It's something the public hardly ever see and it'd keep the Queens on their toes I think. But that'll never happen so long as it's Ru at the helm.

I feel at this point there is an oversaturation of Drag Race. Seasons start right after one finishes, there's no breathing room. Having All Stars 3 soon after Season 9 and then All Stars 4 straight after Season 10 is creating huge fatigue. We still have Drag Race UK and potentially All Stars 5 filming this year and who knows, it might even get broadcast late this year like All Stars 4 was.

It's obvious Ru doesn't want to be in drag much these days and only does so when enough money is thrown at her so Vh1 are trying to get as much out of her and the show while it as at maximum popularity. Only being so popular and overexposed to an extent is actually hurting the brand and I feel at this point it is gonna burn out fast rather than fade away.

Also, the shows Twitter account has just accidentally revealed the top 4 when adversiting the live finale taping thats happening tonight.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I thought the challenge was quite poor this week too.

The make over challenge is always much tougher putting complete inexperienced strangers in drag for the first time. They also used to have to perform a choreographed dance on the runway. None of that this time.

This year all they had to do was put a fellow drag queen in drag. No one had to make their outfits, they already had outfits prepared.

I thought their runway looks were quite boring and safe, bar maybe Yvie.

Can't stand Silky either, but neither can a lot of fans it seems. She gets a lot of negative comments on any social media post I've seen.

I think its Brooke Lynn's to lose and Nina/ Shuga for Miss Congeniality.

Honestly at this point I'm at a loss to find any explanation for the elimination decisions beyond manufactured drama, and ratings watch.

I like Vanjie, I think she is a great entertainer, but there were several instances when she should have had her time on Drag Race brought to its natural, dignified end.

That Silky survived that lip sync against Nina? That she wasn't in the bottom when badly dressed as a cockroach? I just don't know.

Evie all the way for the win.

So, the final is tonight in America and will be on Netflix at 8am tomorrow... who we rooting for?

Personally, I want Yvie to win, or Brooke. I don't see A'Keria winning, and I hope to Jeebus that Silky doesn't. If she does I may end up throwing my drink at my new 4K TV!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Rightful winner! Now let's hope there's a bit of breathing space for everyone to regroup until the next Drag Race...

Advertisement