Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The Johnson v josua has been called off as Josua is injured. Pity, was kinda looking forward to this one.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,663 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Elite finals will be screened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Canelo Alvarez and James Kirkland have signed up to fight in May. De La Hoya said that if Pacquiao and Mayweather agree to fight on May 2nd then Alvarez Kirkland will move a week or two later. Wonder what will the Cotto camp do now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Lads can we move discussion over to the Mayweather vs Pacman thread please and keep this thread for alerts to upcoming fights. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Andy Lee to defend his WBO title against Peter Quillin in New York on April 11th. Billy Joe Saunders has agreed to step aside to allow the fight to happen.

You can see what looks like an interesting documentary on Carl Frampton

I had posted this on the forum sticky but it may be missed. Looks to be quite interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good call!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Talk on twitter is Ward and Froch have been ordered by the WBA to schedule a fight within 120 days...great news. Ward gets the ultimate return to Boxing and hopefully he beats Froch easily again. Cannot stand that man.

RTE2 Wednesday @ 2100 hrs: John Joe Nevin documentary. Set your calendar.

I see Joshua has a real stiff test on Saturday....:rolleyes:

Jason Gavern is the opponent.

Talk about a backwards step!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

walshb wrote: »
    I see Joshua has a real stiff test on Saturday....:rolleyes:

Jason Gavern is the opponent.

Talk about a backwards step!

Just a warm up fight coming back from injury to get ready for Johnson in May.

Johner wrote: »
    Just a warm up fight coming back from injury to get ready for Johnson in May.

True.....What an upset if he lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Amir khan v chris algieri may 30th . Khans chin being protected again.

Richard Abril has pulled out of his title defense against Derry Matthews. Matthews team is looking to be allowed fight for the WBA title.

pac_man wrote: »

In terms of Paul Smith, how in the name of jaysus is he getting these breaks.

Are they breaks? It's not a title fight as far as I know. I wonder how much cash he makes from this. It's a journeyman opponent for Andre to ease him back in. Smith's going to receive a beat down.

They most certainly are lucky breaks. After he got KO'd by Groves in 2 rounds, he somehow landed a world title shot by fighting lads that aren't even British title level. Apparently when one judge gives a dodgy score, while having no bearing on the outcome, entitles you to a rematch. He got beaten again and lets be honest, Abraham is borderline shot. Oh and for that privilege, he apparently got a purse that wasn't far off Lee's highest payday. I wouldn't mind he's not even the best supermiddle in his family never mind the top 5 in Britain.

Look if he gets these opportunities fair play to him,it's a tough way to make a living. I just think he's incredibly fortunate.

Yes, the AA fights were breaks. But this fight is not for a title. He's been fed to a lion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Michael Woods of The Sweet Science website is reporting that Porter-Broner is almost done. Surprising match-up if true.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Michael Woods of The Sweet Science website is reporting that Porter-Broner is almost done. Surprising match-up if true.

Porter should steamroll through Broner. I'd be very surprised if Broner wants that fight.

walshb wrote: »
    Porter should steamroll through Broner. I'd be very surprised if Broner wants that fight.

It's coming out of nowhere if it happens. It's about what Al wants though, not Broner. He's given Broner three relatively soft touches since Chino and a step-up is long overdue. Given that Zab was supposedly the target a few weeks ago however, it seems like a dramatic turn of event.

I still find the Haymon career template for fighters to be bizarre and harmful for all concerned. Eighteen months to two years is the standard gap between fights with top level opposition for his guys. I don't know how anyone could defend it, it's an outrage.

I think it's bad for the fighters in some ways as well. I'm sure they're glad of the relatively easy pay-days, but it has to affect their development. It's no surprise Haymon still hasn't built a superstar. Cotto, Manny, and Floyd were all built by Arum. Canelo was built by Golden Boy to some extent. Haymon hasn't built anyone yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

Haymon is getting sued for 300mil by Golden Boy and being investigated for violating the Ali act (bit of gossip for ye)

Deontay Wilder vs Eric Molina is a fight that just got made. Glen Tapia vs Eric Molina for his NABO tile tomorrow night.

Rumours abound that Porter-Broner is to be at 144. Porter will be dead at that weight. He struggles to make 147.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Panic E wrote: »
    Haymon is getting sued for 300mil by Golden Boy and being investigated for violating the Ali act (bit of gossip for ye)

Deontay Wilder vs Eric Molina is a fight that just got made. Glen Tapia vs Eric Molina for his NABO tile tomorrow night.

Wilder v who?

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Wilder v who?

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Wilder v who?

Eric Molina is a fighter best known for being stopped in a round by Arreola a few years ago. , he's actually not bad at a domestic level and did rebound from that loss with wins over Tony Grano and DaVarryl Williamson. But he should be nowhere near a title shot.

Likely Wilder Ko1, but even if he doesn't he'll definitely get the job done within 3.

Rumours abound that Porter-Broner is to be at 144. Porter will be dead at that weight. He struggles to make 147.

Porter won't make that weight like a piece of cake either, if anything I think he'll struggle harder to make 144... I think he's destined to move to 154 again...and I think he will once Canelo moves to 160 and Floyd is out of the picture. The 154 division has potential for a few break out stars.

• Advertisement

Gomez v Soto fight is off (Canelo v Kirkland)

Another Haymon fighter misses weight. Figueroa this time. Fight goes ahead naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Another Haymon fighter misses weight. Figueroa this time. Fight goes ahead naturally.

Figueroa has a little bit of history missing weight. He missed it a couple of times at Lightweight while still a prospect, but got his act together as he got into more serious fights.

Hope Burns is well compensated for this, and it'd be great if he managed to pull off the upset, however unlikely that may be :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anthony Joshua fighting tonight...

11150714_10204492895907957_6610174059547747236_n.jpg?oh=8ffb6efc99b1a8b53b6358cc134a1330&oe=55CB8910

That_Guy wrote: »
    Anthony Joshua fighting tonight...

11150714_10204492895907957_6610174059547747236_n.jpg?oh=8ffb6efc99b1a8b53b6358cc134a1330&oe=55CB8910

Pretty much summed up the fight!

• Advertisement

There's talk of Klitchko Vs Fury towards the end of the year.

Porter's team say they've signed a deal to face Broner at 144lbs. Broner hasn't signed yet.

Big gamble from Porter's team to take a fight at 144. It's on June 20th too.

Anthony Crolla's comeback fight is for a WBA title. Full title......:confused:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-3079805/Anthony-Crolla-fight-Darleys-Perez-WBA-lightweight-title-seven-months-suffering-fractured-skull-burglar-attack.html

Perez should be too strong for Crolla, whom I never rated. Far too weak IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭megadodge

Interesting fight. Marriaga (20-0,18KO) beat Walters in a Olympic qualifier, looks strong but you'd imagine that Walters would be able to keep his distance.

Nice find that video.

Marriag looks handy, but, dare I say, he reminds me of a lot of similar Columbians over the years. He's undefeated with a high KO%, because Columbians just seem to have that 'go for the KO, go for the KO' type of style. It makes for good fights, but they don't seem to have any Plan B and often seem to lack that bit of cuteness at the higher levels.

Don't get me wrong, he has nice balance, good punch variety and high volume and could make things very interesting for Walters. That's a fight worth staying up for, possibly another Cotto/Torres.

Froch & Eddie Hearn are talking to K2 promotions about fighting GGG at 168lbs. Want a Wembley fight. Would be one hell of a match up.

Danny Garcia and Malignaggi confirmed for August 1st....more than less rules Garcia out of a Mayweather fight. Surprised by this as I thought he'd be a shoe in for it. I just hope Canelo/Cotto gets made asap so Floyd wont reach out to Cotto again...whatever about having Cotto as MW champ, having Floyd there would be a right p*ss take. It'll have to be Khan if Garcia, Cotto and Canelo are all tied up in their own fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭megadodge

I got the impression on 'Ringside' tonight that Tyson Fury is next up for Vladimir. They had a phone interview with him and Vlad more or less confirmed it.
    Anyone else hear any news on it?

Mayweather saying Berto could be his next opponent and he would like to fight him. Oh Floyd never ever change :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Andy Lee and Billy Joe Saunders confirmed for Sept 19th in Thomond Park.

Joshua v Wach in Sept, big step up

• Advertisement

Mosley's out of retirement and has signed the contract and all to fight Mayorga again in August. His son will also be on the card, making it the first father-son card ever. I just hope this is a once off thing as Shane is punch drunk as it is...and I hope this doesn't persuade Oscar to go back on his decision to actually stay retired too

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2518659-shane-mosley-to-come-out-of-retirement-fight-ricardo-mayorga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Rumours are that Wilder will be fighting Hughie Fury next month :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

menoscemo wrote: »
    Rumours are that Wilder will be fighting Hughie Fury next month :eek:

Not a chance. Hughie is a great prospect and they're not going to throw him in with a top level heavyweight at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

FTA69 wrote: »
    Not a chance. Hughie is a great prospect and they're not going to throw him in with a top level heavyweight at this stage.

Well EsPN are reporting it as almost confirmed. Wilder made the offer and Fury accepted...

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/story/_/id/13370315/hughie-fury-challenge-deontay-wilder-wbc-world-heavyweight-championship-says-peter-fury

I thought Chaves was supposed to be fighting Devon Alexander.

Semi finals from Bulgaria. Ward and Conlan due on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Well Mayorga slapping Mosley's birds ass at the press conference today should sell a few more tickets/PPVs!

Comeback at almost 44 is not good. Roy Jones also fighting saturday:eek:

Upcoming schedule is fairly crap. Don't know how Haymon's disciples are still defending the garbage matchmaking we're getting lately. They're always bragging about him controlling most of the fighters in the sport, and yet it's apparently beyond him to put a few of the better ones in the ring together.

These are probably the highlights for the months ahead:

Sept 22 - Shinsuke Yamanaka vs. Anselmo Moreno (No.1 vs No.3 in the division)

Sept 26 - Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Hernan Marquez (Will probably be easy for Estrada but you never know)

Oct 3 - Lucas Matthysse vs. Viktor Postol (Very good fight. Will Matthysse finally own a title belt?)

Oct 3 - Adrien Broner vs. Khabib Allakhverdiev (Might be alright)

Oct 16 - Andrzej Fonfara vs. Nathan Cleverly

Gennady Golovkin vs. David Lemieux/Roman Gonzalez vs. Brian Viloria/Tureano Johnson vs. Eamonn O’Kane (Finally a good card)

Oct 24 - Wladimir Klitschko vs. Tyson Fury/Kell Brook vs. Diego Chaves/Terence Crawford vs. Dierry Jean

Nov 4 - Alexander Povetkin vs. Mariusz Wach

Nov 7 - Tim Bradley vs. Brandon Rios

Nov 21 - Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo Alvarez/Takashi Miura vs. Francisco Vargas

Klitschko-Fury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Read on a website that the WBC have told Wilder that Povetkin is now a mandatory challenger and purses have to be agreed by Feb 26th. He has had 3 voluntary challenges against nobodies and they said enough is enough. Will be interesting to see how this goes as Wilder likes to talk himself up but although Povetkin would be his toughest opponent by a good distance, he is not a big money name.

Advertisement