Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The Deontay Wilder vs Malik Scott fight on 15th of March is now a WBC eliminator. The winner will be mandatory challenger for the winner of the Arreola vs Stiverne fight.

Great oppurtunity for Wilder to become world champ out of that group IMO.

Heavyweight division gathering a bit of interest. What happened to the Perez v Jennings eliminator per the above post?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

So looks like Khan won the vote to fight Floyd next. Jesus if there was anybody more undeserving it's him. I hope Floyd beats him bad and knocks him into retirement. He's an overhyped joke and an embarrassment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

^^^ I think it is Mayweather who deserves more criticism for this match up than Khan to be honest, there is alot of harder fights for Floyd out there and i don't blame Khan for taking a big pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Looks like Froch vs Groves has been agreed. A date in May in a football stadium. Cant wait to see Froch batter him this time

• Registered Users Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Looks like Froch vs Groves has been agreed. A date in May in a football stadium. Cant wait to see Froch batter him this time

Great. Carl's hand may have been forced but I'll give him credit fro accepting the challenge. He was IMO unfairly criticized after the first fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

If Groves is a little more disciplined than the first fight which I expect him to be then he will outbox Froch. :cool:

They reckon that the pot will be 10 million split in the 80/20 region Froch/Groves, an excellent pay day for both guys.

My view on the fight at the moment is that I don't see what Groves can do any different this time. He fought a near perfect fight for 8 rounds before getting caught. I think Froch will be more prepared for him.

My only issue with the fight is having to listen to Groves bleeting in the build up. Honestly he was so annoying the last time & now he has a gripe (legitimate or not) God help us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I would think that Froch would be favorite. There is still questions about Groves' durability and strength and stamina. That is my concern after watching the first fight. Maybe a more cautious Groves can win on points.

Engage, but not as ferociously as the first fight. Conserve your energy and power. He knows he can really rock and hurt Carl. The shots should get there if he is precise and methodical. George did waste a lot of power shots I felt in the first fight. This can sap the energy reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Great to see the rematch taking place. Clearly Froch has been holding out as long as possible in order to force a bigger purse - good business.

My opinion on the rematch is that Froch really isn't gonna be able to change his style enough to avoid being out boxed by Groves. I can't ever remember Froch adopting a different technical approach to any fight. Groves has a real opportunity to pick up a points victory & world title here, so long as he keeps enough in the tank for the late rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Groves needs to be a lot smarter this time.

After the first fight its clear he is more than capable of out boxing Froch, I think if Groves boxes the right way he can secure a comprehensive points victory.

I dont think Groves will stop Froch, if Groves is to win it will be by points IMO.

He'll really have to pace himself right this time around because no matter what happens Froch will be in this for 12 rounds.

• Advertisement

I think the very poor start nearly did for Froch in the last fight. Took a lot out of him. Generally a poor starter bar maybe the Bute fight so he needs to sort that. Start at a higher tempo. Stay focused. Allow Groves to win the early rounds if necessary but come on strong from the middle rounds and grind Groves down. Late KO for Froch IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

walshb wrote: »
    I would think that Froch would be favorite. There is still questions about Groves' durability and strength and stamina. That is my concern after watching the first fight. Maybe a more cautious Groves can win on points.

Engage, but not as ferociously as the first fight. Conserve your energy and power. He knows he can really rock and hurt Carl. The shots should get there if he is precise and methodical. George did waste a lot of power shots I felt in the first fight. This can sap the energy reserves.

Agree with this. I think he traded too much in general, but more importantly he lingered too long in mid-range where he was too available for Froch. You can get right in there with Froch if you're able to get off and smother him immediately as Ward did. But you can't hang around in range for long stretches of the fight and hope he wears down first. His resilience is exceptional, and like you say Groves' durability in contrast is far from proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Henno30 wrote: »
    Agree with this. I think he traded too much in general, but more importantly he lingered too long in mid-range where he was too available for Froch. You can get right in there with Froch if you're able to get off and smother him immediately as Ward did. But you can't hang around in range for long stretches of the fight and hope he wears down first. His resilience is exceptional, and like you say Groves' durability in contrast is far from proven.

Which is why Groves will fight differently next time. He showed inexperience in the first fight by wasting punches in order to try and wear Carl down. If he boxes from the outside, in a conservative manner, i think he'll stop Carl next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

pac_man wrote: »
    Boxnation in shiny HD

Balls, can't get that channel.
    Will have to look for a shiny HD stream.

II'd expect both to win but it won't be straightforward, looking forward to it.

EDIT I just subscribed for a month on the app for 12 euro, is this the regular price?
    can hook the phone up to the tv so its all good.

Boxnation in shiny HD

How much is Boxnation a month? Lot of good fights on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Posts tidy up - general chat thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Seems like a good while since there was a decent fight, is there anything coming up that would be worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

tunguska wrote: »
    Seems like a good while since there was a decent fight, is there anything coming up that would be worth a look?

There has been a couple of decent fight nights the last three weeks...

March 15th.
    Danny Garcia vs. Mauricio Herrera

To say the least. Those 2 cards on Sky Sports were nothing short of outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

March 15th.
    Danny Garcia vs. Mauricio Herrera

Cheers that'll do the trick alright.

• Advertisement

So what did people make of Bellew tonight. Everything good & bad about him on display. He is a million miles from a world title IMO. Were it not for the low blow saving him he could well have lost the fight.

The whole card was dire. Hopefully the fights tonight will be better.

Was working till10 so this is the only fight I have seen. How did Kell Brook look?

I didn't think he looked great. He got hit a fair bit but Ive always been a critic of his defense. Some knocked out from Bellew. Didn't think he looked great either.

Yea he was lucky to survive. Brudov took some serious shots from Bellew to be fair. Apart from having another rumble against Nathan Cleverly I don't know where Bellew can go

True. Think sky were talking about a fight with Marco Huck. For me, It's a division that I can't get excited about. Just seen the knockout again, looked like your man walked onto a lovly checkhook.

It is a bit of a nothing division alright but I still think that it's way too much for Bellew

Don't gave Boxnation but really interested to see how Deontay Wilder gets on. I accept that he has been beating cupcakes but Scott should be a decent test for him

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

tunguska wrote: »
    Would anybody have a link to watch garcia v herrera? Cheers

Cant post that here dude (rules/Guidines)....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Scott went down very easy, another step up for Wilder which he rose to but Stiverne or Arreola is another big step up.

Herrera doing well enough here, being busier anyway. One left hook from Garcia could change everything.

Very good round that, this is Garcia's worst performance in a long while.

Herrera unlucky not to get the decision but that was to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Garcia lost that fight...nearly exposed just like Broner was by Chino...Herrera deserves a rematch but that'll hardly happen

Advertisement