Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman hospitalised after third assault

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

What are ye arguing about ? everyone has an opinion and we don't all agree, move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

Love2u wrote: »
    Go Candie!

Doesn't make him right either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Doesn't make him right either

Just as you typing "you loose" doesn't make you right.

Seriously, even for AH on a good friday standards of debate are low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nodin what's your profession?

I don't see the relevance.

And again I ask - are all your opinions based on stereotypes/tabloid headlines/scare stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Odysseus give up the fight, you loose. The system is a joke and the laugh is on us. We should be spending money on rehabilitating the poor victims, never mind the criminals. Don't you know the old saying "you can change the stripes on a zedbras back!!

Ah now, behave like an adult will you. Victims don't need rehab think what you are saying. I have already acknowledged that there needs to be more focus on victim support, but that is something totally different to rehab.

The strange thing is I don't see myself in a battle here.

It seems like society vaules both my work and opinions as it pays me for them and I get a chance to help people.

The reality is rehabiltation is the way forward, it is here to stay. The whole system needs to be improved but the base it there and we will build on it over the coming years.

My profession has been around a long time, but the work I do wasn't available 40 years ago, even there we still have a long way to go, but we are getting there. Even in my own small area of drug treatment, we are very slowly making ground. I would of course like to see a much better quality treatment, but we work with what we have and develop from there.

So people can express ill informed poorly thought out opinions that do not reflect what is happening out there; but the people who make the important decisions know who and where to listen to.

Sure even my own clinics save a good few lives every year, and that is only going to move from strenght to strenght. So I don't know about losing any battle,

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    I don't see the relevance.

And again I ask - are all your opinions based on stereotypes/tabloid headlines/scare stories?

The people in here that are defending criminals seem to be closely knitted to them.
    Nodin are you telling me my local papers are all lies? The news readers are telling us lies?

The people in here that are defending criminals seem to be closely knitted to them.

Seriously, what?

I was going to ask what made you infer that. Then I realised you're trying to imply it.

No one is defending criminals. People are only suggesting other ways of dealing with violence in society other than meting out more of it.

Punishment combined with rehabilitation is what has been proven to work. Brutality combined with severe and inhuman penalty has been extensively proven to serve neither as a deterrent or as an effective learning tool.

Nodin are you telling me my local papers are all lies? The news readers are telling us lies?

Who is defending criminals and how are they closely knitted to them? I don't see anyone defending criminals here.

So this was in the local papers and on the news?
    I can tell you that most people are afraid in their own homes let alone on the streets. The streets are unsafe.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Who is defending criminals and how are they closely knitted to them? I don't see anyone defending criminals here.

You work with them.

• Advertisement

So this was in the local papers and on the news?

I never said that was in the news, but with on going attacks and violence here in recent months, people in the west of Ireland are afraid and scarred. We don't know from one day to the next who's house or business will get attacked. Is the title of this thread about the recent assault on a business woman for yet the third time?

You work with them.

That is not defending them nor is it closely knitted.

I never said that was in the news, but with on going attacks and violence here in recent months, people in the west of Ireland are afraid and scarred. We don't know from one day to the next who's house or business will get attacked. Is the title of this thread about the recent assault on a business woman for yet the third time?

Some people may be afraid and scarred. You're being overly dramatic and wildly exaggerating again.

It's not just the west of Ireland and when stories like the one in this thread is over hyped it does not help, these incidents allegedly did not happen at all.

HondaSami wrote: »
    It's not just the west of Ireland and when stories like the one in this thread is over hyped it does not help, these incidents allegedly did not happen at all.

I certainly know its not just the West of Ireland but I was speaking for the West as it is where I am from. Where is the proof the three incidents did not happen?

I certainly know its not just the West of Ireland but I was speaking for the West as it is where I am from. Where is the proof the three incidents did not happen?

Where is the proof they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Of course no one can know what happened here. But it seems incredibly, incredibly unlikely to me that the Guards were or could be intimidated into dropping this case entirely. Bad as Ireland is, we're not bloody South Africa or Mexico. As someone who works with the media I consider myself reasonably good at reading between the lines of newspaper articles, and the wording of the Indo article says a lot.

Where is the proof they did?

The Gardai are in charge of that! They are the ones who just recently said the investigations are continuing and they are looking for suspects.

Some people may be afraid and scarred. You're being overly dramatic and wildly exaggerating again.

Nodin, we have had two shootings here, robberies, asualts, businesses targeted, Gardai families targeted. All in a small town. How is that exaggeration? People are scarred and that is a fact.

• Advertisement

The Gardai are in charge of that! They are the ones who just recently said the investigations are continuing and the are looking for suspects.

Ya im sure they are, i have never seen a story taken out of the limelight as fast. There is no way AGS were intimidated into stopping an investigation, no way in hell.

Nodin, we have had two shootings here, robberies, asualts, businesses targeted, Gardai families targeted. All in a small town. How is that exaggeration? People are scarred and that is a fact.

Crime happens all the time. Listening to you, ye'd be scared to go outside the door.

Two shootings which are a traveller feud.

Ya im sure they are, i have never seen a story taken out of the limelight as fast. There is no way AGS were intimidated into stopping an investigation, no way in hell.

Exactly. The Dept of Justice simply wouldn't allow it in any case. If they put IRA men on trial, one can assume the IRA aren't capable of intimidating them into dropping charges. If the IRA isn't capable of doing that, no one else in the state is.

Local news paper confirmed Gardai are continuing with investigations. They are not winding down the case!

Local news paper confirmed Gardai are continuing with investigations. They are not winding down the case!

Why do you take the wor dof the local paper over the Indo? I'm no fan of the Indo but I see no reason to assume it was wrong and local paper was right.

What else do you think a little unknown paper in mayo is going to print? there is nothing but silence from AGS.
    I know crime is high but it's not quite as bad as you are making it out to be.

Why do you take the wor dof the local paper over the Indo? I'm no fan of the Indo but I see no reason to assume it was wrong and local paper was right.

Gardai confirmed that the indo had wrong information and it was not info given by the Gardai. A Gardai spokeswoman came out and stated the case was still under investigation!!?? They are not winding down the case!!??

Gardai confirmed that the indo had wrong information and it was not info given by the Gardai. A Gardai spokeswoman came out and stated the case was still under investigation!!?? They are not winding down the case!!??

Still under investigation yes, something happened to her, be it domestic, self inflicted, tripped over the cat what ever but they are not saying anything about hooded men.

• Advertisement

Look, I'm not saying that I know for sure that the Indo is right, but I don't understand why you think one article in the Mayo News is conclusive proof that it's wrong. It seems extremely strange that no other newspaper has picked up on this.

Advertisement