Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman hospitalised after third assault

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

kupus wrote: »
    Thats twice now you have insulted people on this thread, its water off a ducks back in my case, but liberal bias really shows up on boards.

So Im a thug for stating the truth, :rolleyes: wake up kid.
    This is not the country where people leave their back doors open anymore.
    This is a country where the fcukin walking dead eyed scumbags have more rights than ordinary people.
    Farmers sleep in their beds with guns underneath their bed.
    where cops wives are hammered and beaten for nothing.
    Where a cop has been shot dead for doing his job. Also I predict more will be shot at within a year or two.

Why do you think I like saying something like that. Unless you live in an Ivory Tower with walled estates. THis will come back on ALL of us.

I notice you didnt pull me up on what I talked about earlier and just quoted what my opinion is. Why was that?

You're a thug for wishing ill on people who want no part of a vengeful mob. For pretending you won't indulge in some pitifully sick schadenfeude if something awful happens to us and our families, because we don't want gangs of police dispensing rough justice, like some South American dictatorship of old.

Liberal bias? I'd rather get my knickers in a twist than live in the fascist state you're desperate to have.

I'd rather die than see human rights and civil liberties erode. And I don't live in an ivory tower, btw.

When a poor farmer is pushed to the limit and defends his home and property the liberals are the first to call for the farmer to be locked up instead of giving the man a medal.

Is this a strawman I see before me?

Which famer? Which liberal?

I can see it now "medals for murderers" :rolleyes:

My response in bold.

That's not a response, it's a call to arms.

The idea of domestic abuse is no more fanciful than gangs, Travellers, liberal bias or any other suggestions the mob vomits out at us.

Try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

THis will come back on ALL of us.

This what?

Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world to live in.

Stop getting all mad and relax a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

Boombastic wrote: »
    Mayonews reporting Indo were wrong, investigation continues

DESPITE reports in a national newspaper on Monday, Castlebar gardaí last night confirmed they were continuing their investigation into the sequence of vicious assaults..................................................................
    A garda spokeswoman told The Mayo News she was not aware of yesterday’s (Monday) Irish Independent report claiming that the force was winding down the investigation and had not identified any suspects that may have been involved in the alleged attacks.

Wow!! Thanks for this update.

• Advertisement

This what?

Garda’s partner had knife held to throat in attack

MEMBERS of An Garda Siochána in Mayo have expressed concern for their own wellbeing and what has been described as ‘brazen lawlessness’, following an incident at the weekend where the partner of a serving Garda had a knife held to her throat at home, while the couple’s young children slept upstairs.
    Described as an aggravated burglary, The Mayo News has learned that the incident, which took place at around 10.30pm on Friday night in Charlestown, was a targeted attack on the home of a Garda. He was working at the time when two balaclava-clad men entered his house and began violently assaulting his partner, while shouting at her to reveal his whereabouts. They quickly went through the house looking for him - including entering the room where his children were sleeping - and then held a knife to his partner’s throat before leaving. Though very traumatised by the incident, she was not seriously injured.
    The sinister incident comes just weeks after the home of a detective garda was entered for a second time in two months, and his wife viciously assaulted for a second time.

Meanwhile, The Mayo News has also learnt that the home of a couple from the Castlebar area - "both members of An Garda Siochána" - was burgled at the weekend, while the occupants were away.

Ireland is not as safe as it use to be. Certain people are running the show, costing the tax payer and getting continuous light sentencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

This what?

Mexico ( the real one) used to be safe. If attacks on the gardai ( real, or proxy) are allowed to continue, and this intimidates the force, then we effectively live in Mexico.

Mexico ( the real one) used to be safe. If attacks on the gardai ( real, or proxy) are allowed to continue, and this intimidates the force, then we effectively live in Mexico.

Allow Gardai to have a firearm in their homes I reckon (train the wives to use it too if needs be).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Allow Gardai to have a firearm in their homes I reckon (train the wives to use it too if needs be).

Why should one person be afforded more protection than others? The community as a whole should be protected by the Gardai.

Boombastic wrote: »
    Why should one person be afforded more protection than others? The community as a whole should be protected by the Gardai.

Because they are at greater risk and we need to have a police service that isn't worried about doing its job in case there are reprisals from scum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Beef_Injection

old hippy wrote: »
    You're a thug for wishing ill on people who want no part of a vengeful mob. For pretending you won't indulge in some pitifully sick schadenfeude if something awful happens to us and our families, because we don't want gangs of police dispensing rough justice, like some South American dictatorship of old.

He didn't state he wishes for ill will on anyone. Jesus, this isn't Rome BC.
    I'd rather die than see human rights and civil liberties erode. And I don't live in an ivory tower, btw.

I'm sure residents in Peckham, Brixton, Tottenham or East London would differentiate between dishing out hidings and infringing on some scumbag's rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

SB2013 wrote: »
    I was merely correcting a statement which was made incorrectly.

"the ONLY reasonable reason the Gardai would have to wind up their investigation is if she made the whole thing up"

EDIT: And I might add that both you and the poster who made that comment have as little knowledge of this incident as I so why do you think your insinuations should be considered the only logical conclusion?[/QUOTE]
    Well if you know more than the rest of us then please share..name username same old attitude!

Love2u wrote: »
    The woman was in hospital three times and her house was ALLEGEDLY broken into on each occasion, the news clearly stated that. There seems to be other Gardai families being attached. Do read this recent article :

Garda’s partner had knife held to throat in attack

MEMBERS of An Garda Siochána in Mayo have expressed concern for their own wellbeing and what has been described as ‘brazen lawlessness’, following an incident at the weekend where the partner of a serving Garda had a knife held to her throat at home, while the couple’s young children slept upstairs.
    Described as an aggravated burglary, The Mayo News has learned that the incident, which took place at around 10.30pm on Friday night in Charlestown, was a targeted attack on the home of a Garda. He was working at the time when two balaclava-clad men entered his house and began violently assaulting his partner, while shouting at her to reveal his whereabouts. They quickly went through the house looking for him - including entering the room where his children were sleeping - and then held a knife to his partner’s throat before leaving. Though very traumatised by the incident, she was not seriously injured.
    The sinister incident comes just weeks after the home of a detective garda was entered for a second time in two months, and his wife Supposedly viciously assaulted for a second time.

Meanwhile, The Mayo News has also learnt that the home of a couple from the Castlebar area - "both members of An Garda Siochána" - was burgled at the weekend, while the occupants were away.

Amazing three alleged incidents, no witnesses to any of them, no fingerprints, no forensics..
    People do make up stuff sometimes, usually it is a cry for help and they should be treated sympathetically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Amazing three alleged incidents, no witnesses to any of them, no fingerprints, no forensics..
    People do make up stuff sometimes, usually it is a cry for help and they should be treated sympathetically.

You're jumping the shark now Wiley. Logic has been abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Well if you know more than the rest of us then please share

I said you had as little knowledge as I did, indicating neither of us know much.

He didn't state he wishes for ill will on anyone. Jesus, this isn't Rome BC.

I'm sure residents in Peckham, Brixton, Tottenham or East London would differentiate between dishing out hidings and infringing on some scumbag's rights.

He didn't state it but he certainly wishes it, if only to further his agenda.

"I dont like saying this, but some day in the future this is coming back to you, your family or your friends, and the consequences will not be nice."

As for dishing out hidings, courtesy of the Met, in Brixton etc - do you really think that would go down well? Given the history of police/resident tensions and the whole deaths in custody issue? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Deflect defame and distort. the liberals WMD.

Deflect the conversation away and try to say that its only a matter of domestic abuse.
    Defame a poster who openly questions liberals bias
    and distort the facts in any way necessary to suit your own agenda.

Oh yeah the other one where you shout down and protest and call names to any one who disagrees with your view of thinking.....What was that system called again, oh FASCISM.
    Actually you and Hitler would probably be best buddies come to think of it.

I'm violently liberal.

I can't see it being made up, previously why were the Gardai doing investigations and why were they calling to every house in the neighbourhoods for witnesses. Who gave her the injuries? Why were so many other houses and businesses being broken into around the same time as hers? If we are to believe the news and papers we have gangs here who are beyond the law. Surely A educated and well liked person would not make all three incidents up! And if she has, we should take pity on her. It's not a nice situation for any family to be faced with. We can only wait for the answers as none of us have them as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I can't see it being made up, previously why were the Gardai doing investigations and why were they calling to every house in the neighbourhoods for witnesses. Who gave her the injuries? Why were so many other houses and businesses being broken into around the same time as hers? If we are to believe the news and papers we have gangs here who are beyond the law. Surely A educated and well liked person would not make all three incidents up! And if she has, we should take pity on her. It's not a nice situation for any family to be faced with. We can only wait for the answers as none of us have them as yet.

They must have believed the first incident happened and maybe the second before they got suspicious.
    Maybe she injured herself, the fact there were more burglaries in the area gave her an opportunity to gain sympathy make it convincing or whatever.
    Having heard the rumours it's understandable why she might be stressed.

• Advertisement

HondaSami wrote: »

They must have believed the first incident happened and maybe the second before they got suspicious.
    Maybe she injured herself, the fact there were more burglaries in the area gave her an opportunity to gain sympathy make it convincing or whatever.

Did you read this ? It's in the local papers :

Áine Ryan
    aineryan@mayonews.ie

DESPITE reports in a national newspaper on Monday, Castlebar gardaí last night confirmed they were continuing their investigation into the sequence of vicious assaults, the most recent last Friday night, on 36 year-old local businesswoman, Regina Sweeney.
    A garda spokeswoman told The Mayo News she was not aware of yesterday’s (Monday) Irish Independent report claiming that the force was winding down the investigation and had not identified any suspects that may have been involved in the alleged attacks.
    The spokeswoman said members of Castlebar station were continuing to investigate all three assaults and were now appealing to any witnesses for information regarding the assault at Ms Sweeney’s home last Friday evening around 5.15pm (contact 094 90 22222). She was hospitalised after hooded men attacked her at her home in Breaffy, where she also runs a bridal boutique. The Mayo News understands her injuries in this instance were minor.
    The garda spokeswoman declined to comment on whether a knife or syringe were used in the attack or if the assailants were the same in each attack. Ms Sweeney is married to a local garda detective and is the daughter of the late Liam Coady, who was Taoiseach Enda Kenny’s driver when he was leader of the Opposition. She was originally attacked and robbed last December by two men wearing balaclavas. She subsequently partook in a Late Late Show panel discussion on the rise of rural crime.
    The second attack also took place at her home where she was allegedly taunted by two attackers who said she ‘wasn’t as cocky now as she was on the telly’.

HAVE YOUR SAY email aineryan@mayonews.ie with your comments

What one?
    the ONLY reasonable reason the Gardai would have to wind up their investigation is if she made the whole thing up.
    If she did she has issues and clearly needs to be treated sympathetically.
    rather makes your rant about "these" people pointless!

So why is this in the local papers??

Áine Ryan
    aineryan@mayonews.ie

DESPITE reports in a national newspaper on Monday, Castlebar gardaí last night confirmed they were continuing their investigation into the sequence of vicious assaults, the most recent last Friday night, on 36 year-old local businesswoman, Regina Sweeney.
    The spokeswoman said members of Castlebar station were continuing to investigate all three assaults and were now appealing to any witnesses for information regarding the assault at Ms Sweeney’s home last Friday evening around 5.15pm (contact 094 90 22222). She was hospitalised after hooded men attacked her at her home in Breaffy, where she also runs a bridal boutique. The Mayo News understands her injuries in this instance were minor.
    The garda spokeswoman declined to comment on whether a knife or syringe were used in the attack or if the assailants were the same in each attack. Ms Sweeney is married to a local garda detective and is the daughter of the late Liam Coady, who was Taoiseach Enda Kenny’s driver when he was leader of the Opposition. She was originally attacked and robbed last December by two men wearing balaclavas. She subsequently partook in a Late Late Show panel discussion on the rise of rural crime.
    The second attack also took place at her home where she was allegedly taunted by two attackers who said she ‘wasn’t as cocky now as she was on the telly’.

HAVE YOUR SAY email aineryan@mayonews.ie with your comments

HondaSami wrote: »

What rumours? Do see the news article below in the next thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

When a poor farmer is pushed to the limit and defends his home and property the liberals are the first to call for the farmer to be locked up instead of giving the man a medal.

Not true. I'm a liberal in many, many senses. I believe in family rights, women's rights, gay rights, transgendered rights, the rights of children, gay marriage, all sorts of lefty, PC liberal rights but I also passionately believe in the right of homeowners to defend their homes without fear of legal consequences. Your tired, lazy stereotyping and pigeonholing of liberals is just wrong. It's rarely black and white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I think a lot of the anger people feel is due to the apparent failure of the law to catch and punish the criminals.

When regular law-abiding people see criminals getting away with crime it makes people question their own obedience of the law.

When the truth of the matter sinks in, that crime pays rich dividends for those who would trespass on your land and steal your property, people are left questioning the validity of the authority which those in power hold over them; this reasoning is naturally mixed up with the current negative feelings against the state in general. And this leads to an overall feeling of impotence and despair in the legitimacy of the powers that be.

I know discussion forums such as this are not the greatest reflection of public mood, but just on this site alone there is a regular dose of almost blind seething rage at the most normal sentences passed down for ordinary crimes against folk; a sobering reminder that there is a vicious revenge-seeking beast in each of us.

This problem is worsened when anyone with eyes to see observes the forces of the great and the good falling over themselves to lick the arse and protect the rights of hardened repeat criminals.

Nobody is suggesting that we should allow police to beat criminals to a pulp all the time; but that doesn't mean we should turn the tables so far around that police have to be at the mercy of accusations of brutality when they use necessary force to prevent a crime.

It is all very well to sit back and proclaim that we are all equal under the law; but this sounds so hollow and craven when scumbags roam the streets and countryside with such happy impunity, while those who obey the law shiver with fear in their homes while being taxed to the back teeth by an oblivious government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Not true. I'm a liberal in many, many senses. I believe in family rights, women's rights, gay rights, transgendered rights, the rights of children, gay marriage, all sorts of lefty, PC liberal rights but I also passionately believe in the right of homeowners to defend their homes without fear of legal consequences. Your tired, lazy stereotyping and pigeonholing of liberals is just wrong. It's rarely black and white
    Not always no there is without doubt a hefty shading of grey in every issue. But in some cases and situations it is clear cut black or white.

Deflect the conversation away and try to say that its only a matter of domestic abuse.

Oh yeah the other one where you shout down and protest and call names to any one who disagrees with your view of thinking.....What was that system called again, oh FASCISM.

Hard to believe it took this long for someone to realise that they had so lost the arguement that their only option was to Goodwin the thread!

And slyly wish ill on posters and their families because they aren't part of your lynch mob.

Ugh.

Yep, my friend. I'm a card carrying pink wristed bleeding heart liberal and proud of it.

And I'll call out violence and thuggery where and when I see it. Be it at home or abroad or the fanatical, spittle flecked spiel from the pornographers of violence right here on boards.

Don't threaten people's families by proxy, if you don't care for the response.

Who gave her the injuries? ...Surely A educated and well liked person would not make all three incidents up! And if she has, we should take pity on her. It's not a nice situation for any family to be faced with. We can only wait for the answers as none of us have them as yet.

So only uneducated folk are prone to porkies? And/or alleged domestic abuse?

• Advertisement

So only uneducated folk are prone to porkies? And/or alleged domestic abuse?

Your jumping the gun again! Where is the domestic abuse coming from? Has this been confirmed? I think not, so i will not engage in such talk.

Advertisement