Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking care of appearance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

I had a brief stint in a very image orientated role a while back and the MD had no qualms in pulling us up on how we looked; I remember I came in without my usual eye make-up one day and her comment was 'you look tired, do you not think you look better with more make up?'. Nice eh!! I didn't mind so much as the time as she was just a really straight up person, but everyone I mention it too is pretty shocked. Thing is, I agree - I look much better with some make up on and in general I feel better too! It's nice to look your best sometimes :) That said, I like that it's not an issue in my current job if I just throw my hair up and shoot out the door with just some foundation and mascara the odd day. I think I look ill without some foundation! But on that note, most of the time you wouldn't know to look at me I was wearing it unless you saw me without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

quaalude wrote: »
    Do other posters feel like this?

No, and Ive already commented earlier in the thread that I think its nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

When I was younger I never wore make up during the day, only on nights out.

Now that I am in my early 30's, and have 3 kids I wear it to work every day.. It hides the black tired eyes and wrinkles.:D

My sister was the opposite of me growing up, she wouldnt go out the door without her makeup, first thing in the morning, she would "Put her Face on". It is to do with confidence. She would not have been confident or happy with herself with anyone seeing her with out make up. even though she is a very attractive person.;

If it makes you feel good, and happy in yourself then whats the problem with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Sometimes I wear it and sometimes I don't. Comes down to how much time I have to get ready. I get away with quite a lot because I have olive skin and black eyelashes, so I don't really look 'washed out' without make-up. A lot of people assume I'm wearing some when I'm not.

That said, I do generally wear it to work now because I'm self conscious about some acne scarring (my acne was definitely not caused by the make-up because I never used to wear it). Just a bit of foundation, blusher, brown eyeliner and light brown eyeshadow. Sometimes I wear more on my eyes, like black liquid eyeliner and bright coloured eyeshadow.

I've noticed that when I wear heavier eye make-up or foundation, I get a lot of subtle digs and backhanded compliments from girls who don't wear make-up. 'I wouldn't bother wearing make-up to work' and 'sure who are you trying to impress' and it makes me wonder about their own self confidence. Why do they care? I wear it because it makes me feel good and look nice. It's not as if I won't leave the house without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

KCC wrote: »
    I think make up is an essential part of looking groomed and agree with the other poster that particularly it is important for women meeting the public or in working in a professional environment. There is a difference between looking clean and looking groomed. Most women where I work wear make up and I thought it was more the norm than not.
    Nonsense, as one example, my GP doesnt wear make-up and she is totally professional.

Make up has nothing to do with being professional.

Hm, I think it has to do with what profession you are in and where. If you are in an environment where image is important - sales, for example - not wearing makeup might be unusual, but at a tech company or in an English department, wearing a full face of makeup everyday might set you apart a bit. I think this is an area where a bit of situational awareness is key: if it is the norm within a firm, an industry, or a region to present yourself a certain way, then wearing makeup (or a suit every day, or whatever else) may be equated with professionalism, but I would guess that the number of firms or industries that this applies to is limited (and shrinking).

• Advertisement

I think this is an area where a bit of situational awareness is key

Good expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I work in a professional environment, often have to attend court etc. and I know lots of solicitors, barristers and judges who don't wear make up and believe me, nobody thinks any less of their abilities for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I work in a professional environment, often have to attend court etc. and I know lots of solicitors, barristers and judges who don't wear make up and believe me, nobody thinks any less of their abilities for it.

And in the same breath, I work in a media organization and can't think of many female colleagues who wouldn't wear make-up. Again, no reflection on their professional reputation either way but it's just the culture. Lots of meetings, shoots, running around and bumping into new people where you might be representing the company and a certain image is upheld.

Totally personal and situational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I've noticed that when I wear heavier eye make-up or foundation, I get a lot of subtle digs and backhanded compliments from girls who don't wear make-up. 'I wouldn't bother wearing make-up to work' and 'sure who are you trying to impress' and it makes me wonder about their own self confidence. Why do they care? I wear it because it makes me feel good and look nice. It's not as if I won't leave the house without it.

I'm one of those women who wonder why people wear heavy eye make up to work, though I wouldn't ever comment on it. Mainly because the heavy eye make up worn where I work looks pretty awful, and it does look like they're off out for the night. You're advised to not wear heavy make up to a job interview, and I think that's kind of indicative of appropriate workplace make-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I wear make up half of the week, and for nights out. for nights out I do it and I do it well, I do like my MAC foundation and smoky eyes :P but for work then my everyday make up is foundation/powder/eyeliner/mascara but all very minimal. If I'm having a good skin day I don't bother, and I work in skincare so it's fine if I choose not to wear it and my skin looks well. If I worked in a different environment I probably would wear make up every single day, but would look ridiculous where I work with more make up than I already wear.

Also a reason I used to love not wearing make up to college was if you wear it every day, people clearly notice on a day you're not wearing it. If you wear it only sometimes, it's even more special for those nights out or whatever! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I'm one of those women who wonder why people wear heavy eye make up to work, though I wouldn't ever comment on it. Mainly because the heavy eye make up worn where I work looks pretty awful, and it does look like they're off out for the night. You're advised to not wear heavy make up to a job interview, and I think that's kind of indicative of appropriate workplace make-up.

Well, perhaps my heavy eye make-up is different to other people's idea of heavy eye make-up. My actual going out look is more toned down than a lot of people's day look. I mean a line of liquid eyeliner and some mascara or a bit of teal eyeshadow/eye pencil lining my eyes. I probably wouldn't wear that make-up to a conservative office job, but I don't have an office job.

I just don't get this 'who are you trying to impress' attitude. I just like to dress well and look nice. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

For work everyday I wear a little eye liner and mascara, that's it. If I'm going out I might wear some tinted moisturiser and a teeny bit of eye shadow as well (depends on my mood). I actually don't even own proper foundation. My skin is OK, it's not fantastic, but I sort of feel that caking it in make-up everyday isn't going to help matters.

I don't feel the need to wear lashings of make-up to make myself feel presentable for work. My job varies a lot; some days I need to be in a suit, others a shirt and jeans is fine, depends on what I'm up to. My clothes are always clean, properly ironed and coordinated. My hair is never greasy. I shower everyday and brush my teeth a few times a day. I feel that I present myself well on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

For me it depends on how much time I have to get ready, where I'm going etc.

For college 9 times out of ten I don't bother. My skin isn't great, I'm pale and blotchy but when I'm rolling out of bed at 6 in the morning I don't care.

I love my makeup and I spend a lot of time and money on it.

Another reason I don't wear it all the time is so when I go out, I look different and don't look like I do everyday!

I wouldn't ever think someone is less professional or interested in their appearance for wearing it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Well, perhaps my heavy eye make-up is different to other people's idea of heavy eye make-up. My actual going out look is more toned down than a lot of people's day look. I mean a line of liquid eyeliner and some mascara or a bit of teal eyeshadow/eye pencil lining my eyes. I probably wouldn't wear that make-up to a conservative office job, but I don't have an office job.

I just don't get this 'who are you trying to impress' attitude. I just like to dress well and look nice. That's it.

Yeah, I don't know what your eye make-up is like. I don't feel bad for not liking the eye make-up of some of my colleagues. You can't censor thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Consider it a gift that you can just slap some makeup on to cover up any 'faults' in your complexion. Guys are either hot or not/ Tough **** if you're not :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Also in my experience men don't notice make up unless it's badly applied and don't really care about it either. Any comments I've had in relation to my lack of make up are always from women and are usually back handed compliments 'Ooooh, but you have such great skin, I could never go out without wearing make-up etc' If they think pale skin is so great why are they not displaying their own?
    Bit judgemental, no? :confused:
    I have very pale skin, and I don't use makeup to hide that. Makeup that darkens your original skin tone is applied wrong, IMO. I don't like the shape of my face so I use different makeup methods to manipulate my face shape, give me higher cheek bones, a pointier chin, smaller nose. I'm still as pale as I always am, just with a more even skin tone.

I like my eye shape, my eyes are an almond shape but deep set so again, I like using eyemakeup to make the most of the shape, some lashes in the middle to make my eyes seem like they're projecting out more doesn't seem to make my eyes so deep in my head.

I am currently run down/stressed out and have a whole host of problems going on that make me washed out, sick, and like I haven't slept in about a month. Makeup makes me feel better about myself because it's easy to hide and feel better about myself.

I recently went through a slump, not all that bothered with having my nails painted, had been trying to grow my eyebrows so they looked unkempt, hadnt been bothering much with makeup. It's amazing the difference I feel instantly when I had a little bit of nail polish on, eyebrows properly shaped and my makeup back. Instantly felt better about myself.

The guy I'm seeing at the minute kind of semi joked a few weeks back that all that could be seen as being high maintenance, however, it's that kind of attitude I don't understand. People dress themselves to suit their body shape and to wear what they feel comfortable in. People wear their hair in a style they feel looks best on them. I genuinely don't see the problem with trying to look what you perceive to be the best you can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

xLexie wrote: »
    =

The guy I'm seeing at the minute kind of semi joked a few weeks back that all that could be seen as being high maintenance, however, it's that kind of attitude I don't understand. People dress themselves to suit their body shape and to wear what they feel comfortable in. People wear their hair in a style they feel looks best on them. I genuinely don't see the problem with trying to look what you perceive to be the best you can be.
    The trick is not to give the impression that the appearance is all you care about. The same goes for clothes IMO. That's why I'm not overly fond of uber coordinated wedding or races outfits. I'm not saying that you give that impression, I'm just saying that a bit of imperfection sometimes gives people more personality and makes them more attractive. The same goes for clothes where matching read shoes to red bag and red belt (or matching everything in one color) mostly just creates impression of too much work and lack of imagination.

Btw this is a general observation or opinion and not aimed at anybody in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

When I was a teenager, I would never leave the house without makeup on, but now I'm a bit older it doesn't bother me as much.

I will pop to the shop with no makeup whatsoever and I don't care who sees me at home with no makeup on, be they strangers or family.
    But if I'm going out further than the local shop or going on a night out, I will always wear makeup.

I wear foundation (natural looking though), mascara, eyeshadow, eyeliner, blusher and lipgloss and I feel much better when I wear it.
    I've been told I have great skin and can get away with no foundation, but I like wearing it to smooth my complexion.

I do have very fair eyelashes though and look strange with no mascara!
    I think it's about confidence.

If you are confident in your own skin, you shouldn't mind going barefaced, but I understand some women with, say, rosacea or bad skin problems, will feel more confident if they've got some makeup on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I wear make up every day, I have acne and have some scarring on my face so like to wear a small amount of make up to even out my skin ton and make me look/feel a bit more presentable.

I wear a small bit of foundation, concealer, mascara, eye shadow, lip balm and a translucent powder, that's it. Sometimes I will wear lipstick, but most times I don't bother.

One time I went into college with just a light layer of foundation, nothing else and a few people asked if I was OK because I looked sick and tired.

I personally feel a bit of make up, nothing to heavy/dramatic makes me look and feel better so that's why I wear it. I will certainly pop to the shop without, and have done many times.

When I was yunger I never bothered with make up and still had acne so I know my acne is not caused by make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I have really sensitive skin, so I have to be careful with makeup. Being the lazy git that I am, I just don't bother unless it's a special occasion, then I will wear concealer on whatever spots are on my skin at the time and lipstick. Luckily my skin is not that bad- a bit blotchy depending on the time of the month and with natural dark circles under my eyes that could probably only be concealed by magic but mostly clear.

But then there's my blood red lip gloss. I love it! I love how it makes me feel. Like a bold, sexy siren. I wear it all the time. Sometimes even when I am all alone by myself with no where to go :). I don't even classify it as makeup. It's an essential, like brushing my teeth :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

There was quite an interesting thread on this on F&A (Beauty) before where people posted pictures of themselves bare-faced, in day make-up and in full-on going out mode.

For what it's worth, I've yet to meet a woman who didn't look better with *some* make-up on. But there are definitely a lot of women out there who need to learn when to tone it down a bit. Whoever used the term "situational awareness" earlier (Southsiderosie?) hit the nail on the head. One of my very good friends in work is literally unrecognisable without her make-up on (pale, freckly, completely blonde eyelashes). She looks great, but she also looks the exact same going into work on a Monday morning as she does going out on a Saturday night and, personally, I wouldn't be into that.

Conversely, I was at a wedding on Friday and there was a woman at it who was all dressed up, with her hair in an updo, but without a screed of make-up on and, to me, she just looked like she forgot to finish getting ready. We actually discussed her over lunch the next day ( as we all sat in the bar with wet hair and no make-up on after coming straight from the pool) and the five of us at the table had all noticed her for that very reason. It just looked (again, to us) odd.

I suppose this thread can do nothing but confirm what a personal thing make-up is. The people who don't wear it can't understand those of us who do, and the reverse applies just as much.

Anyway, allow me to go out on a limb here and be the first person to post a photo of themselves au naturel...

534338_10150986228559625_1225821901_n.jpg

Daytime...

430972_10151539506017678_693425692_n.jpg

Full nighttime face...

271042_10151561247792678_1039304664_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Honey-ec, you look gorgeous without makeup.

Your daytime makeup doesn't look much different to your night time makeup, but whatever..you actually look fresh faced without it and are obviously confident in your own skin.

Kudos for posting pics of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I wear make up pretty much every day, for no other reason other than I like to feel nice. But there is the odd day I just dont bother with it. I went to visit my boyfriend in Belgium for the weekend and forgot to bring it, I just didnt wear any all weekend, no big deal.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Conversely, I was at a wedding on Friday and there was a woman at it who was all dressed up, with her hair in an updo, but without a screed of make-up on and, to me, she just looked like she forgot to finish getting ready. We actually discussed her over lunch the next day ( as we all sat in the bar with wet hair and no make-up on after coming straight from the pool) and the five of us at the table had all noticed her for that very reason. It just looked (again, to us) odd.

^^

This happens quite a bit in my own groups of friends. Bizarrely I appear to be ultra glamorous (or overdone!) among them, when in reality I am not a what my mother would call a glammer hammer in the slightest. Ive asked sometimes and mostly the answers are along the lines of "I dont know how to put it on".

Slightly OT but I go through phases of wearing hairpieces and it is usually the friends who do not wear make up at all who want to know where Ive had my hair done and dont realise it is not real. They tend to lose interest when they hear its not real so perhaps its a case of - not real, dont like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've just realised that the title of this thread is not about make up, yet everyone is talking about makeup, pretty much. Like women wearing makeup is the only way we can take care of appearance? That's kinda interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I've just realised that the title of this thread is not about make up, yet everyone is talking about makeup, pretty much. Like women wearing makeup is the only way we can take care of appearance? That's kinda interesting.

Because the OP talks about makeup? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The first post is about makeup though, I presume that's where people took their discussion cue from.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Honey-ec wrote: »

I think your comment Honey-ec just goes to show that a large section of society in general deems it odd or abnormal to go without make-up. Actually I don't wear make-up to weddings either and it's never cost me a second thought, but given your comment above, I'm sure it's been commented on in the same way. Never thought about it before.

I look like this whether I'm going to work or on a night out (obviously there are days with dark circles etc, but this is a better photo than most). No make up here, bathroom light is shining on me but my skin colour is clearly milk bottle on my neck etc.

8589141897_5c4ab52b6a.jpg

I look like this whether I'm going to work or on a night out (obviously there are days with dark circles etc, but this is a better photo than most). No make up here, bathroom light is shining on me but my skin colour is clearly milk bottle on my neck etc.

Are you really not wearing any eye make up in that pic? It looks like you have liner and possibly eye shadow on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Are you really not wearing any eye make up in that pic? It looks like you have liner and possibly eye shadow on?

No I'm not, I don't own any.

EDIT: Damn, I put up the wrong photo. Was going to a fancy dress hen thing where we had to do Stars in their Eyes so was going as Amy Winehouse so had to put black eye liner on. Nearly poked my eye out in process. Thought I stuck up the photo without it. Will put one up without anything.

4739630609_a51597227e.jpg

Advertisement