Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking care of appearance

Options
  • 21-03-2013 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I'm a female in mid twenties and I have to admit, I rarely wear makeup other than for nights out.
    I'm not one of those lucky girls who "doesn't need it" and still looks great, I think I do look better with a bit of makeup but never feel bothered to apply it.
    I over heard a lady at work ask another lady did she wear makeup to work (bit rude I thought) and when the reply was no she said "oh I could never do that, you must be VERY self confident"
    I wouldnt have described the other lady as self confident, it got me thinking what does the way you present yourself tell about your self esteem.
    maybe nothing, if its just a personal preference, or maybe you can tell something about a person depending on whether they a. put very little effort into appearance b. always make sure to look well c . put huge effort in, not going out without makeup etc. for girls

thoughts? :)

sorry for the ramble! or if its in the wrong forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I don't wear much makeup on a daily basis but I'll always make the effort to slap on a little concealer and mascara. In my experience most confident people wear a suitable amount of nice makeup. Those who wear none and those who wear too much are usually insecure or self conscious, in my experience.

I think if someone can't take 5 minutes in the morning and put a little effort into making themselves a little more presentable it doesn't really say much for the person. I'm not sayin everyone should spend hours in front of the mirror, but a little effort never hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i'm actually going to take issue with what the previous poster said - just because a woman doesn't wear makeup to work does NOT mean she doesn't make an effort with her appearance - and making an effort with your appearance does NOT have to involve makeup!

i rarely wear makeup either, and would never have worn makeup when i was working. who am i to care what people think that says about me though, i have better things to occupy my time with. just because i wouldn't go to work with make up on doesn't mean i have low self esteem or am self conscious. that's quite a strange correlation to make i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Maybe better here OP.
    Can I remind posters who may have followed this thread that TLL Charter now applies.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Making an effort with your appearance doesn't have to involve makeup. Sometimes I wear it to work, sometimes I don't. I don't think either choice makes me insecure. I look better with some eyeliner sure but I look fine without

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I don't wear make up to work and I only wear make up if I'm going somewhere. I have good skin, don't get spots and use a special moisturiser for redness caused by eczema so after that my skintone is fairly even.

I don't believe "making an effort" has to include putting on make up, nor am I "insecure" because I don't wear make up everyday. That is such a load of rubbish.

Any person can be "presentable" and groomed looking by simply ensuring their clothes and shoes are well maintained and cared for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

I never wear make up to work and generally have my hair tied up but that does not mean I am self concious and does not mean I come to work like a mess. I am comfortable enough in my own skin not to have to do myself up coming to work

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

I am a nurse. I work 12 hr shifts and don't wear makeup to work. I get up early enough already without getting up earlier to put on make up. I would not have time to touch up makeup during the day. My uniform is clean and my hair is tidy. My patients don't seem to care if I " made an effort" to put on makeup or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I do wear make up everyday because I'm very self conscious about myself. I have uneven skin tone, and look about 12 without any eyeliner. But that's just my perception of myself.

I don't think I've ever had a bad thought towards women who don't wear makeup everyday. Thinking of the girls I work with, I couldn't even tell you who does and who doesn't. For me putting an effort into your appearance means showing up for work clean and dressed! It's pretty bad if someone doesn't take the 5 minutes in the morning to at least do that much. :p

Remembering it now, I did have comments made to me when I was in college. I wore nice clothes and makeup everyday, again cause I feel more confident like that. This older girl in my course would usually wear the same outfit all week. She made a comment, obviously directed at me, why would people bother to wear makeup and different outfits everyday, who are they trying to impress.

I'll admit I have issues, but she must have had some too if she felt she needed to justify herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

You know it's funny, I can see both sides of this. When I was in college I would wear it everyday, for me it was a pleasurable little task. However since I moved home I managed to pick up a site-specific eczema called blepharitis; basically my eyelids have been red and scaly. I think it's starting to settle down (here's hoping) and I am looking forward to wearing make-up again.

My confidence has been really low over the last few months, between the graduate blues but the blepharitis did not help. I felt quite inferior around women wearing make-up. People have said that I look tired and that my eyes were red.

So for me I associate the ability to wear make-up with a feeling of self-confidence. But have people treated me differently? I have no idea. I'm sure people thought I was brave not to wear it for the last while.

So in conclusion, I don't know where I stand OP :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

beachbabe wrote: »
    I am a nurse. I work 12 hr shifts and don't wear makeup to work. I get up early enough already without getting up earlier to put on make up. I would not have time to touch up makeup during the day. My uniform is clean and my hair is tidy. My patients don't seem to care if I " made an effort" to put on makeup or not.

Same here. Some of my colleagues wear make-up to work and fair play to them. I never have though, and never will. My skin is really oily so if I did wear it to work, by mid-day it'd have slid off and I'd look worse/less presentable than I do without make-up in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Bid08 wrote: »
    I never wear make up to work and generally have my hair tied up but that does not mean I am self concious and does not mean I come to work like a mess. I am comfortable enough in my own skin not to have to do myself up coming to work

I do myself up for work because I love make up and how I look in it, not because I'm uncomfortable in my own skin.

In relation to the thread title, I don't think make up really counts as looking after your appearance? More so the likes of having tidy hair, clean nails, clean clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

I wear make-up pretty much every day. If I miss a day, I don't really care too much but I am aware that I've no make-up on so I guess you could say I'm a little self-conscious. I have bright red cheeks naturally, so without concealer or foundation toning them down I feel a little bit insecure. But having said that, I love make-up and the whole application ritual. It's the only nice part of the morning I find!

I have a friend however that would wear night-out make-up day to day. It takes her about an hour every morning just working on her face, applying fake eyelashes - even if she's not going to be doing much/seeing anyone that day. She's an absolutely gorgeous girl and doesn't need it at all but she's terribly insecure. I'd hate to become that reliant on make-up, she basically uses it as a mask to hide herself away and it's such a shame cause she's so naturally pretty. On a night-out recently she thought she had left her fake eyelashes at home and was freaking out looking for them, she said if she couldn't find them she was just going to go home as there was no way she could go out without them. Fake eyelashes like!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I love makeup and it definitely makes me feel better about myself and, I think, makes me look better too!:pac:

I wear it every day, I'd love to be one of the ones who doesn't wear any makeup and still look flawless but unfortunately that's not the case so on goes the slap :pac:

Seriously though, I think if you can put on a little bit of makeup then it certainly makes one look better (if you don't already have porcelain skin that is) but if you're comfortable without it then that's fine too. It's a confidence thing for me - it just makes me feel better and a little bit more confident - not that I have that much confidence anyway :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

I wear makeup most days, but only because I look revolting without it. I enjoy taking care of personal appearance, I like dressing up and wearing nice clothes, and for me personally, I would look ridiculous dressed up with no makeup.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I don't think I look "revolting" without make-up but I certainly look pale and tired. I am quite a plain looking girl. As I said previously, I have oily skin and the resulting large pores and occasional breakouts. I just don't care though! At work my body, hair, face and teeth are always clean, I have a clean, freshly ironed uniform for every shift and I am neat and presentable.

On my days off I enjoy putting on a little make-up to perk myself up a bit and feel a little less... Plain!

Slightly OT but should give some of you a giggle: while at a wedding the other night I was chatting to a friend and confessed that I like to take my make-up off one half of my face at a time for humorous comparison (I'm easily amused). Turns out she does it too, I thought I was the only one! Anyone else do this?

A868C2FE-1D1F-4A6B-90BD-EAF872AADA14-256-0000001DB3A17DCC_zps67fbae97.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I wear make up because I think I look better with it. It's a personal thing. No make up is better than too much or wrong make up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I wear a small bit of make up every day, mainly to even out my skin tone and add a bit of emphasis to my eyes. I've dry skin which needs to be heavily moisturised every day anyway, so putting on foundation takes just an extra 30 seconds. To me, it's the same as brushing my hair and styling it neatly - sure, I could just let it hang naturally (and frizzily) but it looks more presentable when it's either back in a bun, or straightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I do wear make-up most days. My work uniform is a polo shirt, tracksuit bottoms and runners, so I do feel a bit frumpy if I don't put on a bit of foundation and mascara. Also my job is quite physical and I flush quickly so the foundation helps hide the rosy red cheeks :-) And yes, I do feel more comfortable in myself when I've made a bit of an effort. When not working I usually am in make-up and try to dress nicely. But my world wont come crashing down around me on days that I don't have time.

As for other people, I certainly wouldn't make a judgement on their self-esteem or confidence based on their make-up (or lack of). I think its a bit mad that anyone would.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the people are clean and taking care of their personal hygiene, and if they are comfortable with their own appearance, who am I to judge.

I also think that maybe people who do judge/pass comment might need to look inward to themselves and work out why they need to do that.

I wear make-up sometimes, and sometimes not. I have acne which I keep under control 80% of the time. When I think my skin's looking clear I don't wear anything on my skin, sort of to celebrate I suppose. To work, all I'd wear is BB cream, mascara, concealer and shape/darken my eyebrows a bit. Most of the time I'd wear less than that.

To be honest, sometimes when I feel a bit crap about how my face looks, I purposely go out to college or work without make up just because I think it's healthy for me, both for my skin and for my confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

To me, wearing make-up is the same as brushing my hair and wearing a smart outfit to work - it's just part of looking put-together. I wear foundation, mascara, blush and lipgloss. I've never suffered from spots or anything, but I do look quite pale and washed-out without a little cosmetic help. It's not that I look bad without it, but I look better with it. I don't see the big deal.

I hate the way these threads always turn into a Them Vs Us argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't / can't wear stuff to work, clean environment. But post-baby, I got very body aware... so now I get eyebrows shaped and tinted, and eyelashes tinted, and take a bit more care of my skin.

I'm a bit out of the loop, makeup wise, from being in this industry over a decade. I have foundation, bronzer and blush, and a mascara for going out. That's it. No lippy even. Must get round to it some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I wear make-up most days, because I just look better with it. But saying that it's usually a very small bit. Almost always wear mascara because my eyelashes are so blonde...so it makes me look more awake. And a small bit of powder/foundation to even out my skin-tone. Saying that I've often gone to work/college with no make-up on. Especially if I am exercising afterwards.

Doesn't bother me what people do with their make-up, leave them at it.

I usually wear mascara, tinted moisturiser and tinted lip balm. I look more groomed with it on and most importantly, I look a bit older. I've no problem going anywhere without it and I enjoy doing the works when I'm going out somewhere. I enjoy the ritual too.

I think getting yourself into the sort of reliance where you're panicking because you've forgotten your false eyelashes is a sign of some deeper insecurity, in fact most of the girls I know who would wear what I consider heavy make up, would be the ones who would suffer more from self consciousness and so probably use it as a form of armour. If it works, great. If it means you're nervous going out for a pint of milk without your face on, its probably time to work on your self esteem.

Only in my opinion, and only in general terms of course. We're all different.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't wear makeup at work. Very few people here do.

I like to wear makeup though when I'm on a night out.

I think it's really silly to make any assumption about a person based on how much make-up they wear.

My psychologist last year gave me the task of not wearing makeup for a day. First person I met that day told me I looked exhausted!

Never again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I only wear make-up on nights out, and even then sometimes I don't bother. I never wear it to college or out and about during the day. I just like to let my skin breathe most of the time. I like the process of getting ready for a night out, and often make-up is part of that process that I enjoy, but I can and a lot of the time do go without it. I don't really like the feeling of foundation clogging up my pores, and the effort to go and take it all off afterwards makes me not want to bother with it at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My psychologist last year gave me the task of not wearing makeup for a day. First person I met that day told me I looked exhausted!

Never again :p

:D

Trick is to look exhausted all the time, then you get people telling you you look amazing when you put your makeup on. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

I don't wear make up to work either. I have acne prone skin and make up doesn't help. I also am very sensitive to products. Even sensitive mascaras aggravate my eyes. I feel like I look like crap at work but anytime I go to make up counters the ladies look like they've trowelled the stuff on which just puts me off (BT im looking at you).
    Would be delighted with very subtle non acne causing solution to the uneven skin tone.

I do wear make up on outings but pay for it after.

Das Kitty wrote: »

:D

Trick is to look exhausted all the time, then you get people telling you you look amazing when you put your makeup on. :P

Well Saturday I had a day out with my parents so didn't wear makeup and had my hair tied up. Sunday I wore makeup, and my mam kept telling me all day how beautiful I looked.

My funny brain just confirmed how crap I looked Saturday :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

I do my eyebrows and wear mascara to work but don't bother with foundation. I wouldn't call myself very confident but I like my face. I worry more about my body

Advertisement