Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-paying passengers on Dublin Bus

Options
  • 15-03-2013 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a lot of passengers flashing a whiteish coloured card at the driver and not paying a fare. I buy tickets and it didn't resemble those. Does anyone know if this is for the unemployed or medical card holders? The passengers were all ages and none of them were disabled. Last week on one journey there were at least 6-8 passengers I witnessed with the card. I'm not a begrudger but wondered if any of my family members were missing out on some benefit they don't know about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of passen
    ers flashing a whiteish coloured card at the driver and not paying a fare. I buy tickets and it didn't resemble those. Does anyone know if this is for the unemployed or medical card holders? The passengers were all ages and none of them were disabled. Last week on one journey there were at least 6-8 passengers I witnessed with the card. I'm not a begrudger but wondered if any of my family members were missing out on some benefit they don't know about.
    All you need to know about the free travel pass is here

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/780_Free-Travel.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 petemm

Most likely a BEER MAT.
    Was told by a driver there are so many different types of tickets out there that he did not not know what was been waved by passengers when they get on half the time.There is even a ESB free travel pass.

petemm wrote: »
    Most likely a BEER MAT.
    Was told by a driver there are so many different types of tickets out there that he did not not know what was been waved by passengers when they get on half the time.There is even a ESB free travel pass.

Why would a driver allow a passenger travel free on production of a beer mat? Surely it is up to the driver to make sure passengers have the correct ticket or pass before they can travel?

There is an ESB travel pass but that is paid for by the ESB and not the DSP although it all comes out of the Taxpayers purse

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

foggy_lad wrote: »

Why would a driver allow a passenger travel free on production of a beer mat? Surely it is up to the driver to make sure passengers have the correct ticket or pass before they can travel?

The clue is in the job title "bus driver" ..their job is to drive the bus. There is another grade called inspectors... Guess what their job is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The clue is in the job title "bus driver" ..their job is to drive the bus. There is another grade called inspectors... Guess what their job is ?

Not true, part of their job is collecting fares and checking passes (obviously). Inspectors are there to check on the Drivers (amongst other things)

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »

Not true, part of their job is collecting fares and checking passes (obviously). Inspectors are there to check on the Drivers (amongst other things)

Yes obviously it is up to the driver to issue tickets but they are not obliged to check or handle passes (although many do) that is the inspectors job.

Yes obviously it is up to the driver to issue tickets but they are not obliged to check or handle passes (although many do) that is the inspectors job.

Oh so now they must take fares but don't have to handle or examine passes? Care to link or provide anything to back this up? Does this include prepaid tickets and leap cards??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I've noticed a lot of passengers flashing a whiteish coloured card at the driver and not paying a fare. I buy tickets and it didn't resemble those. Does anyone know if this is for the unemployed or medical card holders? The passengers were all ages and none of them were disabled. Last week on one journey there were at least 6-8 passengers I witnessed with the card. I'm not a begrudger but wondered if any of my family members were missing out on some benefit they don't know about.

:confused: How on earth would you know if any of these people were disabled or not, the people in question weren't in wheelchairs or something, look up intellectually disabled it may educate you.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

:confused: How on earth would you know if any of these people were disabled or not, the people in question weren't in wheelchairs or something, look up intellectually disabled it may educate you.:mad:

I don't need 'educating' - no need for that remark. I have three disabled people, two intellectually disabled, and one physically disabled, in my family, so I would know.

This thread has gone all over the place. Does anyone else know what the white cards are? I was on the bus again today and there it was again, large, white and in plastic cover.

I don't need 'educating' - no need for that remark. I have three disabled people, two intellectually disabled, and one physically disabled, in my family, so I would know.

This thread has gone all over the place. Does anyone else know what the white cards are? I was on the bus again today and there it was again, large, white and in plastic cover.

THis is a free travel pass as they currently exist With Photopass and
    000096a7-314.jpg

Without Photopass
    0001a33d-314.jpg

Here you will find all you need to know about the free travel scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Can't say for sure if those pics are of the same card. Anyway thank you for the helpful replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sorry for any offence, if your family members or even you speak to your GP or local social welfare office they can advise if they are entitled to the card, I have one myself for numerous reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

I wonder would it be a Dublin Bus / CIE staff travel pass?

Sorry for any offence, if your family members or even you speak to your GP or local social welfare office they can advise if they are entitled to the card, I have one myself for numerous reasons.

OK.
    richardjjd wrote: »

I never thought of that!

Guys, this was just an enquiry due to observing what happens on the bus. Three-quarters of my family are unemployed and finding things a bit tight right now and I wondered if they had missed something that might help. However, Richardjjd may have hit the nail on the head here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

This post has been deleted.
    Is that the one the junkies would have?

richardjjd wrote: »

No it wouldn't. Employees are issued with a small smartcard similar to the prepaid tickets.

The mystery thickens. What about employees' family members?

The mystery thickens. What about employees' family members?

What about them ??? They pay just like anyone else.

What about them ??? They pay just like anyone else.

Makes sense that a bus driver's spouse would be allowed to travel free just wondered if they would be issued with something different to the employee. I've just remembered something....I'm sure Aer Lingus staff also have such a benefit for their families. And when I say I'm sure, I mean, I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Makes sense that a bus driver's spouse would be allowed to travel free just wondered if they would be issued with something different to the employee. I've just remembered something....I'm sure Aer Lingus staff also have such a benefit for their families. And when I say I'm sure, I mean, I'm sure.

Well it may make sense but the reality it that there is no free pass for spouse or family.. as I said, they pay full whack.

Well it may make sense but the reality it that there is no free pass for spouse or family.. as I said, they pay full whack.

You will always know when a bus driver gets on a bus with the family on a Sunday afternoon as they are pushed on past the driver while daddy stays to have a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

What ridiculous comments! Just cos you know people with certain types of disabilities does not mean you have a sixth sense to who has and hasn't got them!

I don't look disabled most days, but it doesn't take away from the fact that I am. I am in reciept of Invalidity Pension, so got a free travel pass which allows me and a companion to travel free of charge. It's a cardboard pass but you have to get a CIE photo ID card which is credit card sized and white. Maybe this was it.

it seem to me the problem with the free travel pass is that once you get one you have it for life.
    man age 20 suffers from depression gets on disability and gets a free travel pass.
    5 years later same man recovers gets married and has children, fantastic job, everything in life is perfect, life gets better everyday, no sigh of depression.
    he still has the free travel pass for him and the wife.
    that is wrong,it should be reviewed every few years to see if the person should have it.

petemm wrote: »
    it seem to me the problem with the free travel pass is that once you get one you have it for life.
    man age 20 suffers from depression gets on disability and gets a free travel pass.
    5 years later same man recovers gets married and has children, fantastic job, everything in life is perfect, life gets better everyday, no sigh of depression.
    he still has the free travel pass for him and the wife.
    that is wrong,it should be reviewed every few years to see if the person should have it.

You are mistaken. It is not for life!

Like every other social welfare payment if your circumstances change you are obliged to inform the department and return the pass if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

My son is a third level student who buys a "city and suburbs" ticket for €71.50 per month.

Like every other social welfare payment if your circumstances change you are obliged to inform the department and return the pass if required.

in what parallel world do you live in.
    just look at the amount of people wearing uniforms from there jobs(shop workers) who use the free travel pass everyday.
    if they have a job how can they have a social welfare free travel pass?
    when there circumstances change who enforces the return of the pass?
    its only a bit of paper they can say they lost it if asked to return it.
    it is wide open to abuse, only people who should have it are OAP"s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You will always know when a bus driver gets on a bus with the family on a Sunday afternoon as they are pushed on past the driver while daddy stays to have a chat.

Any other illuminating observations Foggy ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

The poster is quite correct,as the document as issued by the DSP has no expiry date.

The requirement is on a qualifying person to inform the department of a change in circumstances.

I feel sure you will have access to data confirming the rate of such Free Travel documents being surrendered on the demise or otherwise of their holders ?

The Department of Social Protection itself appears somewhat uncertain of the exact figures,so if you have them...fire away ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

OK.

Guys, this was just an enquiry due to observing what happens on the bus. Three-quarters of my family are unemployed and finding things a bit tight right now and I wondered if they had missed something that might help. However, Richardjjd may have hit the nail on the head here.

Richardjjd,it is highly unlikely that the document you see being presented is anything other than a DSP Pass.

Very few of the DSP documents remain in their issued stste for long,as they are about the most unweildy and arkward shaped Travel Document imaginable.

Many people simply fold them into quarter size,whilst a sizable number simply use the Photo-ID card on its own,whilst lending the other part to another family member to use as they see fit.

The Photo ID card has an endorsement written on the back which states it cannot be used for travel without the accompanying Free Travel Pass,however most holders appear to have serious difficulty comprehending this and will react with great indignation if challenged.

Advertisement