Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭silverbirch66

Eoin Kelly didnt see much of the ball yesterday as did the full forward line in general really but he battles hard and has been terrific for Tipperary and for the game of hurling over the years.
    True,but I think his best days are long gone.Some operator in his prime.

How old is he?

True,but I think his best days are long gone.Some operator in his prime.

How old is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

But hasn't he suffered from back problems for a while?

One of the finest hurlers around.

As for Sunday, I don't understand the Tipp optimism. Kk never looked like losing and other than frees and long range points had Tipp forwards in the back pocket. And we have Henry, Richie, Walter and TJ to come back.

Overall a very productive league for Kk. Lester Ryan probably the best newcomer in the league. Add in Murphy in goal. 2 fine additions with plenty more game time for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

Lads, I’ve been wanting to say this for a couple of days and finally someone made me snap today. I don’t care about being liked a s a county, fine every hates us I take it as a compliment nearly but some people goading opposition fans is ridiculous. I am sick of listening to Kilkenny fans being ignorant and pompous when it comes to the county team. Most of these wouldn’ tknow where a Walsh Cup game is played Leinster Hurling or Connacht Football. I’m 28 years of age and have been lucky enough to be able to see some great players and games and i’ve never seen these keyboard warriors hurl so i’m sure their more or less insignificant. Rweading TheJournal.ie comments section its always the same clowns spoofing cr@p.

Unles syou played you should be gracious in Victory and defeat. We’ve been been beaten a few times in the last few years and the teams who have beatne us have by and large beaten us because their intensity and physicality was greater than ours on the day. Likewise we’ve won a lot over the past few years and I think thats due to our intensity and physicality being greater along with being graced with some great hurlers playing to their optimum.

With regards to last Sunday there it was a good game, not a great game as some serious mistakes were made, P Murphy while playing well did lose a ball or two in a silly way and this will need to be quelled come later in the year. Likeiwse Joyce was good and bad in equal parts, he worled hard but had to work harder due to his constant running with the ball and being bottled up.

The midfield battle was strange as for a period you had 7 players there, Rice and Ryan were joined by Fogarty and Maher and Mcgrath were joined by Noel and then Conor O’Brien played as a deep midfielder (moving after Taggy) and this really caused so bottling and while midfield got a lot of the ball it did mean that the game looked more frantic than it was really. The forwards worked hard (most of them) and I think Cody has a tough choice to make on one forward in particular who may or may not lose out. Larkin has by his standards of 2-3 years ago endured a poor league and while hard work is a mainstay of his game I thought watching (and rewatching the game) I think his work rate should no longer guarantee a starting place for him as his form has dipped so much. He is a grand lad and good worker around the club so it's not a personal thing I just feel he needs a bit of a kick to maybe push him on again. I would include him in the Offaly game but once all players are back fit and fighting for places I think it could be his time. A forward line of

Power Fennelly TJ

Walsh Hogan Shefflin

would for me work a treat and would have a nice balance and core. Hogan had a bad day last Sunday but it was his 1st bad day in a while and if leave him at 14 and let him work in those around part Henry and the two wing forwards movement could open up teams. Delighted with MIck CF I had known he was starting there and back him @ 18s for MOTM.

Sorry for the rant.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Kkid wrote: »
    Lads, I’ve been wanting to say this for a couple of days and finally someone made me snap today. I don’t care about being liked a s a county, fine every hates us I take it as a compliment nearly but some people goading opposition fans is ridiculous. I am sick of listening to Kilkenny fans being ignorant and pompous when it comes to the county team. Most of these wouldn’ tknow where a Walsh Cup game is played Leinster Hurling or Connacht Football. I’m 28 years of age and have been lucky enough to be able to see some great players and games and i’ve never seen these keyboard warriors hurl so i’m sure their more or less insignificant. Rweading TheJournal.ie comments section its always the same clowns spoofing cr@p.

Unles syou played you should be gracious in Victory and defeat. We’ve been been beaten a few times in the last few years and the teams who have beatne us have by and large beaten us because their intensity and physicality was greater than ours on the day. Likewise we’ve won a lot over the past few years and I think thats due to our intensity and physicality being greater along with being graced with some great hurlers playing to their optimum.

With regards to last Sunday there it was a good game, not a great game as some serious mistakes were made, P Murphy while playing well did lose a ball or two in a silly way and this will need to be quelled come later in the year. Likeiwse Joyce was good and bad in equal parts, he worled hard but had to work harder due to his constant running with the ball and being bottled up.

The midfield battle was strange as for a period you had 7 players there, Rice and Ryan were joined by Fogarty and Maher and Mcgrath were joined by Noel and then Conor O’Brien played as a deep midfielder (moving after Taggy) and this really caused so bottling and while midfield got a lot of the ball it did mean that the game looked more frantic than it was really. The forwards worked hard (most of them) and I think Cody has a tough choice to make on one forward in particular who may or may not lose out. Larkin has by his standards of 2-3 years ago endured a poor league and while hard work is a mainstay of his game I thought watching (and rewatching the game) I think his work rate should no longer guarantee a starting place for him as his form has dipped so much. He is a grand lad and good worker around the club so it's not a personal thing I just feel he needs a bit of a kick to maybe push him on again. I would include him in the Offaly game but once all players are back fit and fighting for places I think it could be his time. A forward line of

Power Fennelly TJ

Walsh Hogan Shefflin

would for me work a treat and would have a nice balance and core. Hogan had a bad day last Sunday but it was his 1st bad day in a while and if leave him at 14 and let him work in those around part Henry and the two wing forwards movement could open up teams. Delighted with MIck CF I had known he was starting there and back him @ 18s for MOTM.

Sorry for the rant.....

dont no what your problem is mate but I have listened to some amount of sh1te being thrown at our county and players over the last number of years and its sickening to hear as they are just lads working and playing a game I will defend them as they have given me and my family some off the best days out we are ever likely to get. Your not around long enough to remember the bad old days. While we have some looney fans every county has their fair share of them.

• Advertisement

I understand that and I love my county but you don’t need to belittle other counties to show your own counties achievements. I love Hurling and would be distraught if I wasn’t born in a Hurling strong county but some lads have been way out of line with some of the comments I will always defend the players when people say they’re dirty blah blah blah we’ve all heard it, and will alwyas hear it but attacking a lad cause he is being overly phyiscal is bad, but some of the stuff i’ve read from Kilkenny “fans” about Lar is crazy stuff. He’s no angel and while he has been silly over the past few years some of the things i’ve heard and seen written have been terrible, while we don;t have to love him attacking him personally is stupid.

I understand that and I love my county but you don’t need to belittle other counties to show your own counties achievements. I love Hurling and would be distraught if I wasn’t born in a Hurling strong county but some lads have been way out of line with some of the comments I will always defend the players when people say they’re dirty blah blah blah we’ve all heard it, and will alwyas hear it but attacking a lad cause he is being overly phyiscal is bad, but some of the stuff i’ve read from Kilkenny “fans” about Lar is crazy stuff. He’s no angel and while he has been silly over the past few years some of the things i’ve heard and seen written have been terrible, while we don;t have to love him attacking him personally is stupid.

I have no sympathy for Lar your memory seems short enough considering the bull that was thrown around freely after 2010. Lar has only himself to blame Tipp are playing mind games if you want to see poor lar in action look at the game again and watch intently at 15 mins 20 secs in you will see poor defenseless lar give the big bad wolf Brian Hogan a good big cowardly dig in the ribs with the butt of the hurley when Brian was following the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Anyone any views on the club games this weekend? Would love to see tullaroan and gbc go at it after last year. Also hope, and expect, for the Boro to beat o loughlins and get back on the tracks after the disappointing start against shamrocks last day out.

So, for hitting lad off the ball he deserves to be called all those things? I'm not saying he's not a clown etc but personal attacks are ridiculous. What bothers me is you are obviously one of these Keyboard Warriors

Anyone any views on the club games this weekend? Would love to see tullaroan and gbc go at it after last year. Also hope, and expect, for the Boro to beat o loughlins and get back on the tracks after the disappointing start against shamrocks last day out.

The Village to beat Fenians
    Ballycallan Tullaroan - too close to call
    O'Loughlins to beat the Boro (can't see you get a win realt)
    Shamrocks to beat Danesfort
    Shocks to be St Martins
    Clara to beat Comer

• Advertisement

So, for hitting lad off the ball he deserves to be called all those things? I'm not saying he's not a clown etc but personal attacks are ridiculous. What bothers me is you are obviously one of these Keyboard Warriors

Believe me I am not a keyboard warrior so dont let that worry you. Let me ensure you I have not nor never will give any personnel abuse or revert to name calling. If you want to check it out go search my posts.
    Lar is no clown let me tell you I know him quite well, along with a number of players from different counties. I might have no sympathy for him but did you see anywhere where I have any for JJ either there is no place on a playing field for that kind of stuff no matter what happens. People have being pointing out that Lar was hard done by with the sending off. Well let me tell you that JJ is on the county scene nearly as long as Lar and its the first time that he has being seen doing anything like this too.

The tullaroan ballycallen game should be the game of the round. I think comer and clara will be the most explosive and will determine comers season. Martins and Carrickshock will be a good curtain raiser.

The village will be too strong the fenians ans expect the shamrocks should record their second win.

Pudders wrote: »
    The Village to beat Fenians
    Ballycallan Tullaroan - too close to call
    O'Loughlins to beat the Boro (can't see you get a win realt)
    Shamrocks to beat Danesfort
    Shocks to be St Martins
    Clara to beat Comer
    Agree with you on most of that.

my predictions in those games:
    Village
    tullaroan
    Boro (might be the heart over the head)
    Shamrocks
    shocks (muckalee doing the upset wouldn't be a shock though and I think they'll upset a couple of teams during the year)
    clara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭BQQ

I'm not saying he's not a clown etc but personal attacks are ridiculous.

:confused::confused:

So let's stop the personal attacks, but it's ok to call him a clown.
    Try taking your own advice. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭silverbirch66

Just goes to show how special Henry Shefflin is when you compare the Tipperary version to him.(no offence to Eoin Kelly,great hurler)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Genetics has a hand in this too. Shefflin has aged better than almost every hurler in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

He also pushed himself to the limit. If you look at Shefflin of five or six years ago he is alot thinner in the face now such is the diet and training he entailed in his recoveries.

Big win for the village against Fenians last night!

thesultan wrote: »
    He also pushed himself to the limit. If you look at Shefflin of five or six years ago he is alot thinner in the face now such is the diet and training he entailed in his recoveries.

Phenomenal man to keep going back to the well the way he does. Credit where due.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

Big win for the village against Fenians last night!

what was the final score pudders, how did Eoin Larkin go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

what was the final score pudders, how did Eoin Larkin go.

1-17 to 1-06.

The game was over as a contest at half time, as The Village led by 1-12 to 0-03. Eoin Larkin scored the goal (a scrappy effort) and slotted some nice points from play. Looked very sharp all through, played full forward for 40 minutes or so and came out to centre forward to negate JJ's influence when The Fenians started to get into it a bit.

Fenians were shocking apart from the first 10 mins of the second half, so hard to tell too much from the game.

O'Loughlins beat the Boro easily tonight in another one sided game (2-15 to 0-13). Couldn't believe how disjointed and poor the Boro looked to be honest. Not much fight in any of them and O'Loughlins (who weren't too hot themselves) could have won by more.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

o'loughlins had to win after losing to clara the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Does anyone know, did TJ hurl for the Shamrocks yesterday. He was rumored to be back this weekend or next

delaney001 wrote: »
    Does anyone know, did TJ hurl for the Shamrocks yesterday. He was rumored to be back this weekend or next

I heard he played and scored 1-4

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

dzer2 wrote: »
    I heard he played and scored 1-4

Not so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A big congrats to Lester Ryan who won the GAA-GPA Hurler of the League award.

From the Examiner:
    GAA President Lian Ó Néill praised both players for their performances to date in 2013. "I'm delighted to pass on my congratulations to two of the best players our leagues threw up this year, and it is no surprise that Lester Ryan and Stephen O'Neill are the two being honoured here today," he said. "Lester underlined his promise over the course of the competition with a string of performances that bode well for Kilkenny's upcoming defence of their All-Ireland crown.
    Very well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭Hitchens

A big congrats to Lester Ryan who won the GAA-GPA Hurler of the League award.

Very well deserved!

+1

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/henry-shefflin-in-fresh-injury-blow-29271137.html

Bad news there, we might be waiting til the Leinster final before he's back. Hopefully he is back by then (!), but you'd like for him to have a decent run in of training beforehand. Best of luck to him getting better either way, horrible luck to be getting yet another fresh injury at this stage.

In other news: http://www.thescore.ie/henry-shefflin-brian-odriscoll-910511-May2013/

Correct, sir.

Unlucky on Henry. Lets hope he gets back soon.

Lester Ryan hurler of the year at 33/1 anyone? I know it is awful early but at the price, it could be worth a bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Unlucky on Henry. Lets hope he gets back soon.

Lester Ryan hurler of the year at 33/1 anyone? I know it is awful early but at the price, it could be worth a bet.

What are they quoting Mick Fennelly at?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement