Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What's the story with season tickets for Sunday? Are there tickets to be printed out or is it just scanned on the gate. If it's just scanning does that mean they cant be used for the new stand as it's supposedly sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Here we go..

KILKENNY v TIPPERARY

1- EOIN MURPHY

2- PAUL MURPHY

3- J.J. DELANEY

4- JACKIE TYRRELL

5- TOMMY WALSH

6- BRIAN HOGAN

7- KIERAN JOYCE

8- LESTER RYAN

9- MICHAEL FENNELLY

10- CILLIAN BUCKLEY

11- MICHAEL RICE

12- EOIN LARKIN

13- COLIN FENNELLY

14- RICHIE HOGAN

15- AIDAN FOGARTY

Richie Power and Wally injured as ye know

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What's the story with season tickets for Sunday? Are there tickets to be printed out or is it just scanned on the gate. If it's just scanning does that mean they cant be used for the new stand as it's supposedly sold out.

Scanned and all counties season tickets have free entry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Wow Rice on Maher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭silverbirch66

thesultan wrote: »
    Wow Rice on Maher.

Rice is the better hurler and I'd expect him to get the upper hand.

Maher is all Hollywood when there is no one on him but get in tight or get the run on him and he's at sea.

Looking at the 2 teams named and with the speed and savvy of the kk forwards,I'd expect the cats to win by in excess of 15 points and have the yahoo's supporters using their leftover tinfoil to wipe away their tears.:D

Those Tipperhairy lads will hardly be scoring headers again:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's a strong team, I'd prefer Hogan further out the field and rice on the wing but with power injured I can see the reasoning behind the Selection. my big hope is that Buckley makes an impact early, he has championship potential that he needs to demonstrate. The backs are lined out as I expect them to be in the summer. I think it'll be a great ould rattle of a game, but I think that team and the atmosphere there'll be in the park Sunday (and I think it'll be bad tempered in the stands) should be enough to have us win by about four.

I expect a bit of shadow boxing from tipp tactically too. A hard game because of who they're playing, but the real tricks will remain firmly up their sleeve

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The KK minor team lost to Wexford today, 1-10 to 3-7 respectively, in Round 2 of the Leinster minor championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

Is that league or knockout?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

MfMan wrote: »

Round robin type of thing they play Kildare next day out.

MfMan wrote: »

It's knockout, but with a back door system. Wexford and Dublin won in Round 1 & 2 and are now through to the semi-finals.
    There are 2 quarter-finals: KK vs Kildare and Offaly vs Laois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Tommy Walsh is 30 Tomorrow, I can see a motm and a league medal for him

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

I can see nothing but a win for Tipperary today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭Hitchens

:eek:

Hitchens wrote: »
    :eek:

Sure we're grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

you would want to look again:D

good match, it could have gone either way, fair play to both teams

It was a terrific game today and especially for the neutral. There was such savage intensity in one passage of play. To be honest, barring the bit of scrapping it was a relatively clean game also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

It was a terrific game today and especially for the neutral. There was such savage intensity in one passage of play. To be honest, barring the bit of scrapping it was a relatively clean game also.

Yeah we got a least 2 minutes of championship hurling. Pity that the row ended it. Just feel tipp are a bit light up front. Great game to be at just thought that Tipp were all out for this one but came up short.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Congrats KK today on the win. A great performance by both teams and it was a great match to watch as a neutral. I think we had the two best teams in the country at the moment and they will meet again later in the year i reckon.

Good win today by KK. It's always a good day when you beat Tipp :p

KK performed a lot better than they had so far in the league today, but still not near championship performance levels.

Eoin Murphy and the 6 backs were absolutely solid today, which was good to see considering the high number of goals they have conceded in the league. Barring injuries, that'll be the starting 'keeper and 6 backs come the Leinster championship match against Offaly.

I was happy with Rice and Fennelly switching positions at the start, as I think Rice's best position is in the midfield. Yet again Lester Ryan was superb. It'll be very unlucky for him if he doesn't start in the first match of the championship. Mick Fennelly was an absolute colossus today. Nobody could match him. Maybe centre forward could be his new position! ... it would suit Rice and Ryan! He annihalted Maher in the first half.

The other forwards didn't perform that well attacking-wise, but they did put the effort in chasing, blocking and hooking. Serious work ethos. Cillian Buckley did well anytime he got the ball. He seems to use his head when he has the ball and picks out a good pass rather than hitting the ball aimlessly away.

The only negative for me today was that Richie Hogan wasn't at the races at all today. It was his poorest match of the league. Also when Taggy was put centre-forward in the 2nd half was a bit worrying.... he doesn't have the skill for that position.

Brendan Maher played well in midfield for Tipp, and the new chap Bergin was good. Lar was nonexistent except for that hand pass. Callanan was awful. All the Tipp supporters around me were giving out stink about him.

Also Barry Kelly gave a free in the 1st half against Bonner Maher for over-carrying the ball when he was solo-ing the ball on the hurl!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

1 and only warning folks, this forum is to discuss Kilkenny GAA, not to insult anyone or to break the rules, I'm going cleaning up the thread now and I fear some good posts will be lost because of bickering, but please try to keep discussion civil so we don't have to delete anything.

The reason I am deleting by the way is because otherwise an awful lot of posters would be banned/infracted, there has been a lot of rule violations going on in this thread and a lot of cards would be handed out to normally unsanctioned posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Any insight into the sending off?

thesultan wrote: »
    Any incist into the sending off?

Looks to have been fair. For sure, JJ can have no complaints anyway. I've heard that Lar was twisting JJ's arm or something beforehand, and JJ lost it. It wasn't a proud moent. Shame too because JJ had a great game up until then. Lar was kept fairly quiet up until then too.

Looks to have been fair. For sure, JJ can have no complaints anyway. I've heard that Lar was twisting JJ's arm or something beforehand, and JJ lost it. It wasn't a proud moent. Shame too because JJ had a great game up until then. Lar was kept fairly quiet up until then too.
    Seeing as Lar was missing on the pitch, he probably thought he had better do something to get the name in the papers on Monday.:D

I'd actually worry for Tipps chances later on in the year.Too many passengers,their only forward that actually works to the required level doesnt seem like a natural finisher,they broke even in midfield because they played 3 there(hence McGrath looking like a superstar,hes far from it when marked) in fairness their backs are decent and I was impressed with Obrien and the new lad.
    Padraig Maher not so and as I said before and was proved right yeserday,get the run on him and bye bye baby:D Great lad when going for a ball uncontested,not so when somebody is actually marking him.Pure Hollywood...I'd put Tipp well below Galway TBH.Playing with the wind and using a 3rd midfielder says it all.

Our own defence was superb,Murphy has the jersey now even if he had little to do,Tommy a little rusty though.Would'nt worry too much about that.Midfield excellent but our forwards Hogan and Colin in particular were not at the races at all.If Fennelly gets his touch right then I'd expect him to run riot.Good workrate from buckley,taggy and Larkin.

Mick Fennelly will be getting HOTY if he keeps up that performance level.Should be some competition for places from 8 up when the 4 lads come back.I know its early days yet,but I would'nt back against the Cats reclaiming Liam in September.The Hunger,workrate,desire and skill they have is unreal.

Seeing as Lar was missing on the pitch, he probably thought he had better do something to get the name in the papers on Monday.:D

I'd actually worry for Tipps chances later on in the year.Too many passengers,their only forward that actually works to the required level doesnt seem like a natural finisher,they broke even in midfield because they played 3 there(hence McGrath looking like a superstar,hes far from it when marked) in fairness their backs are decent and I was impressed with Obrien and the new lad.
    Padraig Maher not so and as I said before and was proved right yeserday,get the run on him and bye bye baby:D Great lad when going for a ball uncontested,not so when somebody is actually marking him.Pure Hollywood...I'd put Tipp well below Galway TBH.Playing with the wind and using a 3rd midfielder says it all.

Our own defence was superb,Murphy has the jersey now even if he had little to do,Tommy a little rusty though.Would'nt worry too much about that.Midfield excellent but our forwards Hogan and Colin in particular were not at the races at all.If Fennelly gets his touch right then I'd expect him to run riot.Good workrate from buckley,taggy and Larkin.

Mick Fennelly will be getting HOTY if he keeps up that performance level.Should be some competition for places from 8 up when the 4 lads come back.I know its early days yet,but I would'nt back against the Cats reclaiming Liam in September.The Hunger,workrate,desire and skill they have is unreal.

But in fairness you could say that about any player. You only won by 3 points so i wouldn't be getting carried away yet tbh. For all our foibles it wasnt exactly a hammering now was it? One score in it at the end of the day.

Mick Fennelly was the real difference yesterday i felt. He is like a thoroughbred racehorse in full throttle and in my opinion he is the real fulcrum of that Kilkenny team. Henry, Power, Tommy, etc are vital but i think Fennelly gives Kilkenny a whole other dimension with his power and his speed. He is the complete player

But in fairness you could say that about any player. You only won by 3 points so i wouldn't be getting carried away yet tbh. For all our foibles it wasnt exactly a hammering now was it? One score in it at the end of the day.

Mick Fennelly was the real difference yesterday i felt. He is like a thoroughbred racehorse in full throttle and in my opinion he is the real fulcrum of that Kilkenny team. Henry, Power, Tommy, etc are vital but i think Fennelly gives Kilkenny a whole other dimension with his power and his speed. He is the complete player
    It reminded me of the AI in '11.Only 4 points in it,kilkenny forwards not going 100% but yet clearly the better team and the scoreboard did'nt reflect it.And remember no TJ,Henry,Power and to a lesser extent Walter Walsh yesterday.
    I think our defences are'nt too far apart quality wise,we probably have the
    edge in midfield but the main difference is the 2 sets of forwards.Skill wise they would,in all fairness be very very close,but in terms of attitude and workrate,Kilkenny would be alot stronger.Callinan,Corbett,Kelly and Bourke are passengers and TBH,if they come up against the same back line later on I cant see any different outcome.They will win you a Munster,but not the big one.
    Noel McGrath is an enigma.That lad has as much in his locker as Canning and more skill than Shefflin but would I swap him for either? No chance.
    When he is marked tightly he doesnt want to know.OShea knows this and thats why he stood in the middle of the park by himself yesterday.All good until Fogarty went out on him.
    For the size of him and his talent,he should be doing alot better.

Final point about Maher,Good hurler but watch him closely when going up for a ball against someone who is actually going for it and Maher will rarely win it.Contrast that with what Tommy Walsh (5'7") has being doing for years and you will see what Im talking about.Maher will do the big catch and clearance when not tightly marked ,not when going toe to toe.And I think he is just way way to loose.For all the world he is like a sweeper in soccer,great positional sense but get him 1 on 1 or sit on his shoulder and you have him.

Michael Rice and Aidan Fogarty are the key to his team.They wont get the headlines,but take them out and you would notice it.Serious engines,fight like terriers for dirty ball and wont give up.Walking definitions of team players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Lot of quiet kk forwards yesterday as well. For all the fighting like terriers and winning dirty ball it wasn't much good to them most times being closed down fairly quickly in the claustrophobic confines of Nolan park. There was some amount of hooking and blocking . It's a ground that suits back men. Bar fennellys two goals there was not much heart stopping moments or swash buckling moves from the kk forwards either.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

20silkcut wrote: »
    Lot of quiet kk forwards yesterday as well. For all the fighting like terriers and winning dirty ball it wasn't much good to them most times being closed down fairly quickly in the claustrophobic confines of Nolan park. There was some amount of hooking and blocking . It's a ground that suits back men. Bar fennellys two goals there was not much heart stopping moments or swash buckling moves from the kk forwards either.

Wow - what are you like on a bad day ! As neutral I thought the intensity , tackling and blocking was tremendous - not far off championship speed at times and definitely as much as we expect from a league final. Well done to KK

It reminded me of the AI in '11.Only 4 points in it,kilkenny forwards not going 100% but yet clearly the better team and the scoreboard did'nt reflect it.And remember no TJ,Henry,Power and to a lesser extent Walter Walsh yesterday.

I disagree. Tipp played with far more belief and composure yesterday then they did in the 11 final. Granted some of the forwards didnt get going and need to pull their finger out but overall the game was close all the way. With a bit more composure we could have got a run on ye and taken it so to suggest it was one sided is pure baloney.

Ye had a super hurler Eoin Larkin who is as good as those you mentioned but who didnt score anything from play yesterday whilst marking a 28 year old making his senior intercounty debut so you could argue that Tipp had their homework done on your forwards considering they only managed a point each between 4 of them and regardless of the absentees that's a super set of forwards that lined out for Kilkenny. Not dismissing the quality of the absentees but could they really have done any better? Are you not giving the Tipp backs the credit they deserve?

Eoin Kelly didnt see much of the ball yesterday as did the full forward line in general really but he battles hard and has been terrific for Tipperary and for the game of hurling over the years. The only two id agree need to get involved more are both Lar and Callanan. As one poster suggested though, the smaller pitch in Nowlan is a great aid to defences. Paul Curran for example, isnt blessed with speed similar to the way Jackie Tyrell isnt but neither had as much ground to cover as they would in Croker

Nothing suggested to me yesterday that the gulf between Kilkenny and Tipperary was that wide and i was very pleased with the way we acquited ourselves. There is a gap there i will admit but I see no reason why it cant be closed in the not to distant future. The 18 point gap between the sides in the semi final last year doesnt do the full potential of the Tipp team any justice in my opinion in the same sense that it would be ludicrous to suggest just after the Leinster final that Galway were way better than Kilkenny because they restricted them to 1 point from play in the first half.

There is a difference between a bad team and a badly managed team. Tipp arent a bad team but in 11 and 12 we were a badly managed team who got lucky in Munster.

• Advertisement

I disagree. Tipp played with far more belief and composure yesterday then they did in the 11 final. Granted some of the forwards didnt get going and need to pull their finger out but overall the game was close all the way. With a bit more composure we could have got a run on ye and taken it so to suggest it was one sided is pure baloney.

Ye had a super hurler Eoin Larkin who is as good as those you mentioned but who didnt score anything from play yesterday whilst marking a 28 year old making his senior intercounty debut so you could argue that Tipp had their homework done on your forwards considering they only managed a point each between 4 of them and regardless of the absentees that's a super set of forwards that lined out for Kilkenny. Not dismissing the quality of the absentees but could they really have done any better? Are you not giving the Tipp backs the credit they deserve?

Eoin Kelly didnt see much of the ball yesterday as did the full forward line in general really but he battles hard and has been terrific for Tipperary and for the game of hurling over the years. The only two id agree need to get involved more are both Lar and Callanan. As one poster suggested though, the smaller pitch in Nowlan is a great aid to defences. Paul Curran for example, isnt blessed with speed similar to the way Jackie Tyrell isnt but neither had as much ground to cover as they would in Croker

Nothing suggested to me yesterday that the gulf between Kilkenny and Tipperary was that wide and i was very pleased with the way we acquited ourselves. There is a gap there i will admit but I see no reason why it cant be closed in the not to distant future. The 18 point gap between the sides in the semi final last year doesnt do the full potential of the Tipp team any justice in my opinion in the same sense that it would be ludicrous to suggest just after the Leinster final that Galway were way better than Kilkenny because they restricted them to 1 point from play in the first half.

There is a difference between a bad team and a badly managed team. Tipp arent a bad team but in 11 and 12 we were a badly managed team who got lucky in Munster.
    Well put TG, a bounce of the sliothar was all that was in that match.

The Lar/JJ thing, a nothing incident. They reminded me of two young fellas scrapping in the schoolyard. Harsh that they're going to miss the start of the Championship.

No animosity there, they're pals again as soon as the final whistle blows. You'd swear listening to some people that hurling should be a non contact game.

Likewise, the Maher/Rice thing, nothing to see here move along, they both just hurled away grand, much to some of the media's disappointment I'd say.

Great rivalry and passion between KK & Tipp as always and some sublime skills from both teams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement