Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Light snow shower here in Murrisk at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Light but persistent shower going, probably longest shower iv had all day

Edit : heavy now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

F**k the cold! :D

F3046AC2F93A43D69605514821E34844-0000334566-0003204552-00624L-B6C3C33DFF864A6C975BBA7D97F47162.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Big snowfall in Dublin 8 now, showers have been coming down literally all day. If only ground was slightly colder, way more snow showrs and more intense showers than I expected today

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

so not looking good for Arklow in this :( ...... small graupel showers on and off all day but nothing much :( ....... think I might have to take a trip up the wicklow mountains 2moro :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Light snow shower here in Murrisk at the moment.

How is the reek looking? Is there much snow up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Eureka.

I know why the weather is unusual to say the least. Simple Minds are playing in Dublin.

25th July 1985 anyone?
    yes i remember the fork lightening - most exciting part of the concert -

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Big snowfall in Dublin 8 now, showers have been coming down literally all day. If only ground was slightly colder, way more snow showrs and more intense showers than I expected today

I second that, hammering down here now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Pretzill wrote: »
    yes i remember the fork lightening - most exciting part of the concert -

Stop that was an epic concert, jeez when Waterfront kicked off the show i must have travelled across the pitch side to side at least 3 times.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Frontal snow did that (the bit that wasnt photoshopped). Shadow comes into play more if a land mass reduces the potential for convection and the 'lake effect'. Last weeks heavy snow in N England, S Scotland, NI and IOM was a weather front. I paraphrase heavily.

Also, maybe the fact that the neck of England is at its narrowest on a north east track to the IOM means that the IOM still benefits from the north sea fetch.

Also alot of that snow could be on high ground, We had a guy from there used to post here. I think the hills (mountains) in the north are up to 2000 feet above sea level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

so not looking good for Arklow in this :( ...... small graupel showers on and off all day but nothing much :( ....... think I might have to take a trip up the wicklow mountains 2moro :)
    Do you ever go onto croghan? That's just a 10 min drive from you,you can see it straight in front of you as you look inland from ferry bank bridge.
    Loads of people walk to the top at weekends,plenty snow on it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

Took this an hour ago. Just NW of Letterkenny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Red Pepper wrote: »
    How is the reek looking? Is there much snow up there?

Small dusting on the top. Same with Nephin.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Took this an hour ago. Just NW of Letterkenny :)

A cool photograph, I was up on the Sally Gap in Wicklow at the weekend and it looked very similar in terms of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Heavy enough in Ballymount, Dublin 12. Ground and air temps still to high to stick. But that might change tonight. Streamers seem more organised this time round. Breeze is not as strong either.

My body is in spring mode. I haven't had any feeling in my toes and fingers for the past two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭highdef

Streamers/more organised snow getting their act together now in the Irish Sea and with evening fast approaching, surface heating will not be much, if any issue to many in the east from here on in. A heavy graupel/snow shower started here at home about an hour ago. It eased recently but has got heavier again now and there is moderate snow falling. Looking at the radar, it looks like it may be coming down for a while at varying intensities. Either way, I am quite confident that the temperature will not rise much again today, if at all. Currently at 1.3c. If it reaches 2c again, I will be very surprised. 1.5c may not even be surpassed.

I've also noticed that since the snow began, the length of time that each individual flake of snow takes to melt on the slate roof right fornenst my office window has increased greatly....still melting but a sign that the latent heat in the tiles (and therefore the ground in general) is being released. Once there is no more sun, the time taken for snow to stick to the likes of roads around here will decrease......here's hoping anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

South Dublin in the Anglesea shadow :(

Those showers are making it the entire way across the UK so maybe they'll intensify over the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Snow/hail in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    South Dublin in the Anglesea shadow :(

Those showers are making it the entire way across the UK so maybe they'll intensify over the Irish Sea.

I don't think there is any shadow with this lot, if there was you'd see the IOM shadow & that's not there at sll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Another decent shower here. Still not sticking although as said above it seems to be getting closer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

33a3r78.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

[IMG][/img]33a3r78.jpg
    whiteout ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Snowing in parts of Donegal,bone dry with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Snow to the North of me, to the South of me, to the East of me, Jaysus even to the West. Blue skies overhead. Every bit of cloud vanishing into thin air right overhead.

I now fully understand how Cork people feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

Temps have fallen to near 0c here now, can only be a good sign! Frequent falls of snow too, but no accumulation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Big white wispy flakes now in D4, ground still to wet/warm to hold anything though. I'm sure they'll stick further east...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

pad199207 wrote: »
    Temps have fallen to near 0c here now, can only be a good sign! Frequent falls of snow too, but no accumulation

Same in Newbridge , been going for the best part of an hour now

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Been going at it here in north Louth since this morning, nothing too heavy, yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

John.Icy wrote: »
    Snow to the North of me, to the South of me, to the East of me, Jaysus even to the West. Blue skies overhead. Every bit of cloud vanishing into thin air right overhead.

I now fully understand how Cork people feel.

Where in Kildare are you Icy ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bone dry here for past 2 hours except for the odd flurry, the radar completely overplaying what's happening overhead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement