Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One in 2 Austrians believe Hitler's rule had some positive aspects.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

He raised a fortune for Movember.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

krudler wrote: »
    He fixed the roads

Least the nazis were classy enough not to run his daughter in a by election after he'd topped himself

There. I said it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Hitler wasn't so bad. After-all, he did kill Hitler.

Although he also killed the guy who killed Hitler.

seamus wrote: »
    What's that mean?

Better to have a genocidal ethos than none at all?

Just take it easy man.

dollypet wrote: »
    Without the craziness (which led to the atrocities) he wouldn’t have been able to falsely inflate the economy.

OK. Some craziness, but no atrocities.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

What's that mean?

shame seamus
    shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

What's that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

God fncking dammit.

Could never bring myself to watch the whole movie...though the bits I saw of it seemed pretty funny

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

similar in Italy also where they would love another Mussolini to come along

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Rastadoyle wrote: »
    similar in Italy also where they would love another Mussolini to come along

There's always his granddaughter Alessandra, and she looks a lot better than baldy Benito did. ;)

• Advertisement

God fncking dammit.

Could never bring myself to watch the whole movie...though the bits I saw of it seemed pretty funny

Shut the fcuk up seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

One in two Austrians?

Needs bigger sample size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Say what you like about the SS, but they did have very snazzy uniforms. The masculine cut of the uniforms and the high quality materials used in their manufacture remain a benchmark in how to properly dress a paramilitary force.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

If Hitler hadn't been born, the rise of hyper nationalism, eugenics and genocide in western Europe would have occurred during the nuclear age, not before it.
    If anything we are lucky that Hitler's rise to power happened when it did, just before nuclear bombs existed, considering how close Germany and the Allies were to a bomb the timing was very lucky for all of Europe.
    We now have a clear precedent for the dangers of fanatical right wing nationalism and the nazi ideals, and we don't live in an irradiated wasteland.
    In general I imagine it is also why Europeans are more anti-war than say US citizens, they are one generation off from the death and absolute destruction that WWII wrought on their citizens and country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Bambi wrote: »
    Least the nazis were classy enough not to run his daughter in a by election after he'd topped himself

There. I said it

Fúcking hell, that's a bit much now.

With regard to the 1/2 of Austrians thinking Hitler's time in power had some positives....well they're right. Obviously the negatives far outway the positives, but he restored the German economy when it was on its knees and gave them wonderful infrastructure (thus further securing the economy for the future).

I'd be more concerned that the other half of Austrians don't appear to be as informed as others. Either that, or they're in denial; which is understandable, given that many of them lost loved ones in the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

As a result of Hitlers actions, Germany was split in two, and if theres anything that Austrians love more than Germany, its two Germany's.

Also, Anne Frank's diary would have been pretty dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Bambi wrote: »

There. I said it

You really shouldn't have said it. It's totally not relevant, and lacking in even the merest hint of tact or class.

The Austrians have been a bit iffy since their empire went down the crapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Of course there were positive aspects.

Infrastructure was greatly improved in Germany as a result of Hitler's rule.

And then greatly disimproved by the war he started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

He restored the German economy in an almost miraculous manner. There are plenty of things that could be learnt even today from how he achieved that, were people able to see past the horrors that he was later responsible for.

Taking jobs from all the German Jews and giving them to 'real' Germans was a big part of that. Killing disabled and crippled people who couldn't work (except for WWI veterans) brought the unemployment rate below 1%.

This is a false statistic however since all the people in the camps were not included in those stats and neither were women since in general they were not allowed to work. The ban on women working forced the need for slave labour during the war.

Also having an enormous military brought down unemployment too. And with so many German soldiers dying, there were always positions open for new recruits.

• Advertisement

He knew how to work a crowd

He really whipped the Germans into a frenzy of patriotism, promised them the world, told them everything they wanted and needed to hear at a time of desperate privation and hopelessness. And he gave them a scapegoat for all their ills. No wonder there's nostalgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 blancheflower

People today are far too lazy. AH was a man of his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

No matter how evil a politician is, it's almost unheard of for there to be no positive aspects whatsoever to their rule.
    Hell, I'm sure I could find at least one good thing to say about FF's last government if I really scratched my head about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Every country needs a good dictator for a bit, you just need to make sure they're dumped before they get to the whole genocidal phase.

People today are far too lazy. AH was a man of his time.

People got a lot of exercise in those days, they ran everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No Band of Brothers,
    Saving Private Ryan,
    Medal of Honour,
    Downfall,
    those youtube videos of hitler complaining about modern issues,
    Escape to victory,
    The great escape,
    Inglorious Basterds,
    The Longest Day,
    Schindlers List,
    Sophies Choice,
    Allo Allo,
    The Dambusters,

and many many more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Killing disabled and crippled people who couldn't work (except for WWI veterans) brought the unemployment rate below 1%.

Richard Bruton take note...

No Band of Brothers,
    Saving Private Ryan,
    Medal of Honour,
    Downfall,
    those youtube videos of hitler complaining about modern issues,
    Escape to victory,
    The great escape,
    Inglorious Basterds,
    The Longest Day,
    Schindlers List,
    Sophies Choice,
    Allo Allo,
    The Dambusters,

and many many more

More importantly, they'd be a bit stuck for programming on the History Channel. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I think it is too much of a co incidence that Adolf and After hours both have the same initials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The key word in that statement is some.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement