Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the Law Changed -- illegal taxi ranks etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If your business isn't sustainable/viable why are you still in it? A non-viable business is not entitled to break the law to stay afloat.

I'm still in it because I'm still allowed to be in it

Uriel. wrote: »
    Perhaps.... in a country that has no social supports.

Ireland is a country arguably overburdened with such supports. So no there should be no absolution for breaking the law in this regard.

Not in reality is there support for self employed business's, no JSA to leave the industry, no FAS to allow retraining etc. etc.

I know of a taxi driver in Swords who didn't renew his license in late December 2012, he surrendered his SPSV drivers license and allowed the license on his vehicle to lapse, he's still waiting on SW to pay something ( anything! )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I'm still in it because I'm still allowed to be in it

You can stay in a non-viable business if you wish, though i do not know why you would choose to do so. Doesn't mean you can break the law though.

You can stay in a non-viable business if you wish, though i do not know why you would choose to do so. Doesn't mean you can break the law though.

Being a Devil's Advocate doesn't necessarily involve breaking the law

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Not in reality is there support for self employed business's, no JSA to leave the industry, no FAS to allow retraining etc. etc.

I know of a taxi driver in Swords who didn't renew his license in late December 2012, he surrendered his SPSV drivers license and allowed the license on his vehicle to lapse, he's still waiting on SW to pay something ( anything! )

I think self-employed are often treated appallingly but...
    Jobseekers Allowance, Supplementary Welfare Allowance, Potential for Medical Card and social housing depending on circumstances...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Seeing as I don't work Dublin city centre I have no need to park across from Nesbits or across the bottom of Grafton Street so Yeah I can play Devil's Advocate
    Yeah, a terrible one. Go read my post again as you haven't understood it, nor the general concept of a "devil's advocate". You're not taking a stand on something you don't necessarily agree with... In fact you seem to entirely agree with the points you've made so far!! And you're biased too, being a taxi driver in Dublin.

So try not to shove this nonsense of "people wanting more taxis" down our throats, it was a govt. decision and mainly motivated by the PDs and sympathetic FFers like Noel Dempsey. There was relatively quiet public lobbying for complete and sudden deregulation as being the solution to the lack of taxis. The public at the time didn't care that much about the issue and hindsight is 20/20 etc.

In reality there should have been a substantially increased number of licences given out in phases, with a removal of the cap maybe 8 years after the decision was announced. Or something along these lines. But then if the rules for owning and running a taxi were up to the standards seen in other countries (e.g. actually passing an exam on street and city knowledge) then perhaps there wouldn't be so many taxis now either...

Yeah, a terrible one. Go read my post again as you haven't understood it, nor the general concept of a "devil's advocate". You're not taking a stand on something you don't necessarily agree with... In fact you seem to entirely agree with the points you've made so far!! And you're biased too, being a taxi driver in Dublin.

So try not to shove this nonsense of "people wanting more taxis" down our throats, it was a govt. decision and mainly motivated by the PDs and sympathetic FFers like Noel Dempsey. There was relatively quiet public lobbying for complete and sudden deregulation as being the solution to the lack of taxis. The public at the time didn't care that much about the issue and hindsight is 20/20 etc.

In reality there should have been a substantially increased number of licences given out in phases, with a removal of the cap maybe 8 years after the decision was announced. Or something along these lines. But then if the rules for owning and running a taxi were up to the standards seen in other countries (e.g. actually passing an exam on street and city knowledge) then perhaps there wouldn't be so many taxis now either...

That's all fine, but whether the industry is open to anyone, a small(er) group of individuals, whether there's 1,000 taxis nationally or 100,000, it doesn't mean the law can be broken.

Going way off topic now, but like you allude to, I would much rather see a stricter regime for gaining a licence (exam etc...) and a much stricter regime regulating those with a licence.

Of course you can to your heart's content, he's just remarking on how stupid it sounds for a taxi driver to play devil's advocate in this situation. Are you seriously telling us that you're taking a position you do not necessarily agree with? Please.

You seem to have a very restrictive view of a Devil's Advocate, for your perusal I give you the Free Dictionary definition, I don't believe being a taxi driver precludes me from being a Devil's Advocate, however much you may not like it!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/devil's+advocate

Now the Advocates argument is that the people of Ireland got what they wanted, a deregulated taxi industry with access to as many taxis as they liked with no queuing so therefore they are now reaping the results of the seeds they planted

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Now the Advocates argument is that the people of Ireland got what they wanted, a deregulated taxi industry with access to as many taxis as they liked with no queuing so therefore they are now reaping the results of the seeds they planted
    Maybe the Irish People™ thought that the laws in place about illegal parking were sufficient and expected that, regardless of whether there's 100 taxis or 100,000, such laws would be enforced? Deregulation does not give taxis free reign to break whatever laws they want. If you can't make a living without breaking laws, then you're in the wrong business

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Being a Devil's Advocate doesn't necessarily involve breaking the law

Except you stated that they would break the law, if i misread you feel free to correct me.

• Advertisement

Except you stated that they would break the law, if i misread you feel free to correct me.

They would doesn't necessarily mean that I would, you have no concept of what a Devil's Advocate actually is

They would doesn't necessarily mean that I would, you have no concept of what a Devil's Advocate actually is

Feel free to correct me. Or continue to make obtuse comments, its all the same to me at the end of the day.

This devil's advocate stuff is pompous waffle. If you've something to add to the argument, why not drop the pretense and admit that you're making points which are your own and that you agree with them entirely. It's not really good enough to wave "devil's advocate" around as you're basically calling for the law to be ignored.

Feel free to correct me. Or continue to make obtuse comments, its all the same to me at the end of the day.
    This devil's advocate stuff is pompous waffle. If you've something to add to the argument, why not drop the pretense and admit that you're making points which are your own and that you agree with them entirely. It's not really good enough to wave "devil's advocate" around as you're basically calling for the law to be ignored.

What is it with you two, you have no real concept of the term Devil's Advocate or what?

What is it with you two, you have no real concept of the term Devil's Advocate or what?
    Why don't you state your opinion instead of claiming it's just devil's advocate or whatever?? Or at least defend why you advocate ignoring the law?

Couldn't care less about it.

Is this your correction?. Do you have anything to add to the discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Looks to me like a taxi driver has taken this thread wildly off course. Much like taxi drivers are known to do...

Congrats on derailling the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Eponymous wrote: »
    Looks to me like a taxi driver has taken this thread wildly off course. Much like taxi drivers are known to do...

Congrats on derailling the thread.

Well if you look back at any previous threads on taxi issues ,you will find that it is those who are not drivers that take the thread widley off course.

Why have I taken it wildly off course?

I agree that there is a problem with illegal parking/ranking etc. but I can categorically say the problem is caused by the users of the taxis. If people didn't take the taxis parked across the bottom of Grafton St or parked on the opposite side of any of the legal ranks then there wouldn't be any illegal ranks. However, like most people the users of the taxis are far too lazy to actually put up their hands and hail a taxi down or God forbid actually walk to an official rank

I can categorically say the problem is caused by the users of the taxis
    Most people get the taxi at the front of the rank. Most illegal parking happens at the back of the rank. So I can categorically say that's just utter nonsense.

Not to mention the fact that even if it was true, the users are not doing anything illegal. The taxi drivers that park illegally are. So once again, it's an utter sham of an argument.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

There is one right at the front door of Swords Garda station every night Thur - Sunday waiting for punters from the original wrights! Never any action taken so dont hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

the problem is caused by the users of the taxis. If people didn't take the taxis parked across the bottom of Grafton St or parked on the opposite side of any of the legal ranks then there wouldn't be any illegal ranks.

You could look at it the other way and say that if the taxis weren't there illegally in the first place, people wouldn't be able to get in them :)

You can spin this whatever way you want. You can blame the government, the customer or solar flares but it all boils down to one thing: those drivers are breaking the law. They're breaking the road traffic acts (as regular road users) and whatever legislation and regulations that cover them as PSVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭cson

Why have I taken it wildly off course?

I agree that there is a problem with illegal parking/ranking etc. but I can categorically say the problem is caused by the users of the taxis. If people didn't take the taxis parked across the bottom of Grafton St or parked on the opposite side of any of the legal ranks then there wouldn't be any illegal ranks. However, like most people the users of the taxis are far too lazy to actually put up their hands and hail a taxi down or God forbid actually walk to an official rank

If ever I saw a strawman argument... ;)

Anyway, on topic; I haven't been unduly affected by this practice, its been handy to walk out the door of say McDonalds on O'Connell St and straight into a cab. That being said, I would agree the Grafton St one is bordering on dangerous at this stage. Suffolk St is a mess as it is but thats a discussion for another day.

cson wrote: »

Anyway, on topic; I haven't been unduly affected by this practice, its been handy to walk out the door of say McDonalds on O'Connell St and straight into a cab. That being said, I would agree the Grafton St one is bordering on dangerous at this stage. Suffolk St is a mess as it is but thats a discussion for another day.
    Christ we had better avoid mention of more shortcuts with logic lest we get more online dictionary articles!! :eek:

It's not that having an abundance of taxis leads to problems everywhere. Though in my experience of Dublin there's a strong correlation! Taxis pulled over in the middle of pedestrian crossings or in cycle lanes are some of my more harmless experiences with taxis in Dublin as a regular pedestrian and cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Meirleach

I have a lot of symptathy for taxis illegally parking, here in Athlone there's something like 16 taxi rank spaces, and 130taxis!

As long as they aren't obstructing anyone I don't have a huge problem with it.

28064212 wrote: »
    Most people get the taxi at the front of the rank. Most illegal parking happens at the back of the rank. So I can categorically say that's just utter nonsense.

Not to mention the fact that even if it was true, the users are not doing anything illegal. The taxi drivers that park illegally are. So once again, it's an utter sham of an argument.

Expected that argument, no real fault with it but still remains if people didn't get into the taxis that were parked then they wouldn't park there, it's kind of like if people didn't buy cheap goods in certain pubs etc. then there would be a decrease in burglaries because the market isn't there, however, have it your way

cson wrote: »

So you'd take a taxi driver breaking the law Qing outside McDs and further encourage them, rather than walk 30 meters to your right to a legal rank on O'Connell Bridge or 30 meters across the road to a legal rank in Sackville Place or 50 meters to your left to a legal rank in Princes Street or even hailing a taxi down but of course it's the taxi drivers fault for pandering to your wishes....

So you'd take a taxi driver breaking the law Qing outside McDs and further encourage them, rather than walk 30 meters to your right to a legal rank on O'Connell Bridge or 30 meters across the road to a legal rank in Sackville Place or 50 meters to your left to a legal rank in Princes Street or even hailing a taxi down but of course it's the taxi drivers fault for pandering to your wishes....
    No. It's the taxi driver who has parked illegally that is at fault.

The sooner the better this (de)merit system is introduced the better.

There is a high % of taxi drivers who think the rules of the road don't apply to them. Perhaps the issue of over licensing would be somewhat addressed if there was revocation of licenses for those drivers who don't abide the law

Yes of course it is! The taxi has to park illegally in the first place before the pedestrian can approach it, not the other way around.

• Advertisement

Expected that argument, no real fault with it but still remains if people didn't get into the taxis that were parked then they wouldn't park there, it's kind of like if people didn't buy cheap goods in certain pubs etc. then there would be a decrease in burglaries because the market isn't there, however, have it your way
    What are you talking about in your pubs example? Is the user in that case breaking the law? If they are, it has absolutely no relevance.

And of course you "expected that argument", it exposes the point you're trying to make for the utter nonsense that it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement