Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the Law Changed -- illegal taxi ranks etc

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The point where he jumped in with both feet was shortly after this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83649370&postcount=75

If he had been reading and following the thread then he would have realised that the thread was now taking on the path of a discussion about if the taxi driver is the sole agent acting illegally here or could a passenger indeed be guilty of inciting the taxi drivers to act illegally

Please do keep up to speed with the thread, it's tiresome having to rehash posts for those who fail to understand rational argument over hypothetical situations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

What you did wasn't chastisement, it was self-righteous and presumptuous. And we're still waiting on what makes you say that someone hasn't read the thread?? How the hell would you know this?

Or is it just another way to attack someone's post because it happens to disagree with you? Classy.

Well he obviously knew that the "someone" hadn't read the thread in its entirety.It's not the first time the "someone" comes on makes incredulous comments and disappears again .

Now back on topic......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

Uriel. wrote: »

Gardai and/or the Regulator should enforce current laws & when the time comes the relevant new Regs for taxi drivers. Penalty points and/or demerits for those breaching Taxi Regs/code of practice or RTA. Users or potential users of Taxis won't face enforcement actions for committing a "crime" or being an "accessory"
    oisindoyle wrote: »
    Now back on topic......
    as you wish
    put it this way uriel ,WE are sick and tired of complaining and the guards are sick and tired of moving taxi's on. as soon as one illegal taxi is moved on/moves away you have 4-5 more ready to take their place. the only real way of enforcement is to either drastically increase fines for illegally parked taxi's and i'm talking €1000 for each fine or have a guard on 12 hour stance at weekends at known black spots which we all know is unrealistic . i know for a fact that taxi's would rather make their own illegal ranks like o'connell street and westmoreland street than use official ranks that would only be yards away with 3-4 taxi's in them.
    now oisin before you go asking for proof of what i've said above about illegal ranks please dont. i have proof but if i have to post it here i'll blow a gasket doing so.

as you wish
    put it this way uriel ,WE are sick and tired of complaining and the guards are sick and tired of moving taxi's on. as soon as one illegal taxi is moved on/moves away you have 4-5 more ready to take their place. the only real way of enforcement is to either drastically increase fines for illegally parked taxi's and i'm talking €1000 for each fine or have a guard on 12 hour stance at weekends at known black spots which we all know is unrealistic . i know for a fact that taxi's would rather make their own illegal ranks like o'connell street and westmoreland street than use official ranks that would only be yards away with 3-4 taxi's in them.
    now oisin before you go asking for proof of what i've said above about illegal ranks please dont. i have proof but if i have to post it here i'll blow a gasket doing so.

I dont need proof of illegal ranks I see them every day and night of the week .It's disgraceful and the Gards don't care or move them on ,which they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

as you wish
    If these vehicles were impounded and the drivers forced to apply for the release after payment of the fine and the process took a few days it would put an immediate halt to the illegal behaviour.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If these vehicles were impounded and the drivers forced to apply for the release after payment of the fine and the process took a few days it would put an immediate halt to the illegal behaviour.
    three words come to mind foggy.
    "taxi strike/protest", the problem with our beloved government is they're afraid to take action because they dont have the bottle. they would rather see the banks take our homes, send us to jail for unpaid fines etc than enforce what is already in law.

as you wish

You say WEwho do you mean by we I know of at least one poster to this thread and possibly one other who I don't think share your sentiment.

Cue Peppa Pig as a possible and Cson as a definite.

Also as to the Gards, would it be so difficult for the ones standing at the GPO to patrol the street and even wave their torch at them to get them to move on, or could it just be possible that they turn a blind eye to it to avoid the crowd disorder that is usually associated with drunken people in Dublin and that they would rather they were removed from the area by the illegally ranked taxis?

three words come to mind foggy.
    "taxi strike/protest", the problem with our beloved government is they're afraid to take action because they dont have the bottle. they would rather see the banks take our homes, send us to jail for unpaid fines etc than enforce what is already in law.

Well thats where you are wrong(but whats new from an armchair critic)..

Anyway,just for your information the protests by drivers over the past 3 years was for MORE enforcement and TOUGHER enforcement to clear out illegality .It fell on deaf ears with the FF government ,but this government says they will act ,,,,,We wait we baited breath.
    Legal drivers and those who work within the law are fully aware of the illegality going on in the business and can only look on with dismay as it continues on a daily /nightly basis.

Well thats where you are wrong(but whats new from an armchair critic)..

Anyway,just for your information the protests by drivers over the past 3 years was for MORE enforcement and TOUGHER enforcement to clear out illegality .It fell on deaf ears with the FF government ,but this government says they will act ,,,,,We wait we baited breath.
    Legal drivers and those who work within the law are fully aware of the illegality going on in the business and can only look on with dismay as it continues on a daily /nightly basis.

Afraid to say that I've just about given up on waiting for it so getting to the stage now of " **** it, why should my kids suffer, I might as well join in the free for all "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Well he obviously knew that the "someone" hadn't read the thread in its entirety.It's not the first time the "someone" comes on makes incredulous comments and disappears again .

Now back on topic......
    A bit of playing the man, not the ball there, but what harm so long as you stick a "back on topic" at the end:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I dont need proof of illegal ranks I see them every day and night of the week .It's disgraceful and the Gards don't care or move them on ,which they should.
    at last we agree on something oisin. i have seen the guards move taxi's on plenty of times but as soon as the guard goes another driver moves in but lets be honest here the guards are over stretched as it is without having to have them babysit the so called hot spots of illegal ranks.
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    You say WEwho do you mean by we I know of at least one poster to this thread and possibly one other who I don't think share your sentiment.

Cue Peppa Pig as a possible and Cson as a definite.

Also as to the Gards, would it be so difficult for the ones standing at the GPO to patrol the street and even wave their torch at them to get them to move on, or could it just be possible that they turn a blind eye to it to avoid the crowd disorder that is usually associated with drunken people in Dublin and that they would rather they were removed from the area by the illegally ranked taxis?
    i am not going to divulge who "we" are. did you not know they're there to hold up the wall at the G.P.O. in case the building falls down :rolleyes:. there are so many taxi's and so many illegal ranks it would be virtually impossible to enforce them all.
    but as i said i have seen drivers make their own illegal ranks while others literally yards away lie half empty.
    B.T.W. oisin this so called arm chair critic has also gone into other taxi forumns and where your colleagues bitch and moan about being harassed by the guards when they are told to move on.
    correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't there a stand off between the guards and taxi drivers when the guards went in to control illegal parking. F.Y.I. the rank at the gresham to be exact.one could almost say it nearly turned into a riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,347 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of course Mr. Psychic, you would know exactly how much of the thread we've all read....
    If you haven't bothered to read the thread and want to just jump in willynilly then expect to be chastised

No name calling. Constructive posts only please.

at last we agree on something oisin. i have seen the guards move taxi's on plenty of times but as soon as the guard goes another driver moves in but lets be honest here the guards are over stretched as it is without having to have them babysit the so called hot spots of illegal ranks..

Babysit? The Gards are there to uphold the law.If drivers are parking illegally and plying for hire illegally ,the Gards should do something about it. But you think thats called "babysitting" ,how strange.
    but as i said i have seen drivers make their own illegal ranks while others literally yards away lie half empty...

I havnt seen a "half empty rank " in years .Given the amount of taxis on the streets of Dublin now I very much doubt it.
    B.T.W. oisin this so called arm chair critic has also gone into other taxi forumns and where your colleagues bitch and moan about being harassed by the guards when they are told to move on. .

And so?
    correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't there a stand off between the guards and taxi drivers when the guards went in to control illegal parking. F.Y.I. the rank at the gresham to be exact.one could almost say it nearly turned into a riot.

I will correct you ,yes you are wrong.

at last we agree on something oisin. i have seen the guards move taxi's on plenty of times but as soon as the guard goes another driver moves in but lets be honest here the guards are over stretched as it is without having to have them babysit the so called hot spots of illegal ranks.

i am not going to divulge who "we" are. did you not know they're there to hold up the wall at the G.P.O. in case the building falls down :rolleyes:. there are so many taxi's and so many illegal ranks it would be virtually impossible to enforce them all.
    but as i said i have seen drivers make their own illegal ranks while others literally yards away lie half empty.
    B.T.W. oisin this so called arm chair critic has also gone into other taxi forumns and where your colleagues bitch and moan about being harassed by the guards when they are told to move on.

Well if they can't or won't police a rank that's less than 50 meters away, you're gonna have to have a whole new rethink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Well if they can't or won't police a rank that's less than 50 meters away, you're gonna have to have a whole new rethink
    How about taxi drivers stop breaking the law by starting and joining illegal ranks and costing the state a fortune in Gardai enforcement? How is that for a re-think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

If Spook was a burglar he would be "playing devils advocate" and telling us that burglaries are really the fault of the victims for having such nice stuff, or the people who buy the stolen goods, or the guards for not doing more to stop them or the government for not giving out free money to burglars. Basically anyone except the burglars themselves. He would then attempt to tug at the heart strings by saying that in these times of economic hardship burglars need to feed their families and he will make no apologies for that.

I know all this because he wheels out these paper thin excuses every time someone wonders why taxi drivers seem to be able to get away with breaking the law as they like.

"Johnny made me do it" wasn't a good enough excuse when you were a child and it shouldn't be now.

Let's deal with the excuses one by one, not that it will make a blind bit of difference.

"The customers made me do it!"
    From what I see the majority of illegal parking by taxis is by extending an existing rank out the rear and in to traffic. Customers go to the front of the rank and take a legally parked taxi. Even if that weren't true it wouldn't make any difference, just because random strangers are willing to take advantage of illegal activity doesn't make it any less illegal. It's also a highly hypocritical position since apparently taxis must park illegally due to the desires of these hypothetical customers but they don't feel any need to move on when the traffic they are blocking builds up behind them.

"The regulator made me do it!"
    The gist of this one is that there aren't enough taxi ranks therefore taxis can park wherever they like. Once again, just because you don't like something doesn't give you any right to break the law. Complain to the regulator, do more radio work, get the taxi federation to buy some parking somewhere. If you don't like your working conditions you don't get to simply break the law as some sort of payback.

"The guards made me do it by not trying to stop me hard enough!"
    This one is particularly funny. It goes 'sure the guards often turn a blind eye and even when they don't they just move drivers on and we go 100m down the road and park illegally again. Obviously this means it's ok'. I think the guards would be only too happy to be able to hand out significant penalties for illegal activity by taxi drivers. If anyone wants to start a campaign for meaningful powers allowing the guards to stop this sort of illegal parking I'm totally behind it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

One 24 hour ban and thread locked until I can have a better look.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement