Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the Law Changed -- illegal taxi ranks etc

Options
  • 08-03-2013 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

Has the law relating to Taxi Rank use changed ?

I specifically refer to the situation at the bottom of Grafton St/Suffolk St.

It now appears that a Taxi Rank now exists across the Pedestrian Crossing and further along Suffolk St itself.

Allied to this is the requirement for TaxiDrivers to pull sharp (and mostly sloppy) Turnabouts on the very narrow stretch between Grafton and Dawson Streets.

This is not so much about Taxi Drivers themselves,as the carry-on being so fully displayed here has largely become par-for-the-course in the Taxi "Industry" now.

However,it does have a significant amount to do with that equally appropriate topic Law Enforcement,and specifically the suggestion by Garda Representatives that they are stretched to the limits.

The numbers of Gardai who pass the Junction on foot,motorcycle,horseback,bicycle,segway or in cars and vans is quite staggering,in addition to the baleful presence of a Garda Specific CCTV Camera monitoring the junction 27/7.

Yet,despite the very obvious and dangerous nature of the situation it is rare to see any action being taken.

This lack of interest has emboldened the Taxi Driving fraternity to push the boundaries in an ever increasing manner.

Personally I have no problem with this,or any location,simply being given over totally to the Taxi Trade,BUT,I want it made clear to every other road user and pedestrian that the Law has been changed or suspended to facilitate the Taxi Trade.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I have seen taxis done for trying to squeeze in to the taxi rank outside specsavers when there was not enough room to fully fit in a number of times.

Actually I think you might be talking about the loading bay to the front of the Porterhouse? But going beyond that space all the way up to the pedestrian crossing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Also seems to be accepted practice to REVERSE over the pedestrian crossing outside the Shelbourne Hotel at Merrion Row to join the queue from the other end. Several times I've seen people nearly get a surprise as they are looking in the direction of the oncoming traffic :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

AlekSmart wrote: »

It now appears that a Taxi Rank now exists across the Pedestrian Crossing and further along Suffolk St itself.

Allied to this is the requirement for TaxiDrivers to pull sharp (and mostly sloppy) Turnabouts on the very narrow stretch between Grafton and Dawson Streets.

This is not so much about Taxi Drivers themselves,as the carry-on being so fully displayed here has largely become par-for-the-course in the Taxi "Industry" now.

However,it does have a significant amount to do with that equally appropriate topic Law Enforcement,and specifically the suggestion by Garda Representatives that they are stretched to the limits.

The numbers of Gardai who pass the Junction on foot,motorcycle,horseback,bicycle,segway or in cars and vans is quite staggering,in addition to the baleful presence of a Garda Specific CCTV Camera monitoring the junction 27/7.

Yet,despite the very obvious and dangerous nature of the situation it is rare to see any action being taken.

This lack of interest has emboldened the Taxi Driving fraternity to push the boundaries in an ever increasing manner.

Personally I have no problem with this,or any location,simply being given over totally to the Taxi Trade,BUT,I want it made clear to every other road user and pedestrian that the Law has been changed or suspended to facilitate the Taxi Trade.

Alek, there isn't any law differential at play here and yes, there is some road law breaking aplenty within this section of motorists.

Mind you, I see lots and lots of law breaking from white vans, Micra's, Puntos, BMW's, push bikes, black vans, mopeds, blue cars, yellow cars, rickshaws, trucks, buses etc etc so it's not only PSV drivers who are let off the hook here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

AlekSmart wrote: »

No, the law hasn't changed and neither has the taxi drivers attitude to it.

I always laugh when the traffic corp pull up and catch them or move them on.
    But usually, they're all on the look out, and pull off sharpish as soon as they see the guards coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

No, the law hasn't changed and neither has the taxi drivers attitude to it.

I always laugh when the traffic corp pull up and catch them or move them on.
    But usually, they're all on the look out, and pull off sharpish as soon as they see the guards coming.

Perhaps a penalty point or two might ram the message home?
    Alas no desire on the Gardai to do more than wave one or two away it seems :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It seems to be accepted practice on Aston quay to double park beside the rank and throw the hazards on.
    Lights turn green, cars come thundering down the quays and they quickly find a lane blocked.

It was also accepted practice for a taxi to stop at the end of the rank and reverse up onto the footpath.
    A bit mad to be standing on the footpath waiting to cross the road and a taxi inching up towards you. Hey, I'm not moving, tap me if you want.
    Doesn't happen so much anymore as the council have put a speed limit sign on the footpath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I rang up to complain about the unofficial regular nightly taxi rank outside Doheny and Nesbit on Merrion row during the week. I pointed out that they block a whole lane and park on double yellows.

I was a bit surprised at the response. Essentially, they go up and issue a few tickets and leave and in 5 mins the place will be jammed with taxis again.

Basically, the taxis have won the battle for the streets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

there are simply too many taxis on our streets. In most countries taxis help with ease of traffic flow and environmental issues, but here its the opposite. Simply because of the huge number of taxis we get traffic jams, less parking places and it is just ugly to see line after line of taxis decorating every part of our cities. I do have sympathy for the drivers, but something needs to be done to lessen the numbers, and when that is achieved more strenuous enforcement can be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,608 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I genuinely think there is a need for penalty points for this - it's getting beyond a joke.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I genuinely think there is a need for penalty points for this - it's getting beyond a joke.

Penalty points for illegal parking is not going to go down well with motorists, period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Penalty points for illegal parking is not going to go down well with motorists, period.
    penalty points for taxi drivers are on the way [demerits ] in the new taxi bill currently before the dail . illegal ranking is covered with a fine of €40 plus one "demerit " eight demerit points and a driver loses his spsv licence for three months .

I am not talking about ordinary motorists - I am talking about taxis.

It is frankly getting out of hand in the city centre and something needs to be done about it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Is that a reason for not doing it?

I would see the points only applied when illegal parking is causing an obstruction -- the likes of parking on footpaths, at crossing, too close to junctions and in bus and cycle lanes -- not just parking in a parking space without paying.

penalty points for taxi drivers are on the way [demerits ] in the new taxi bill currently before the dail . illegal ranking is covered with a fine of €40 plus one "demerit " eight demerit points and a driver loses his spsv licence for three months .

Wasn't aware of this coming in; interesting to hear of it.
    LXflyer wrote:
    I am not talking about ordinary motorists - I am talking about taxis.

It is frankly getting out of hand in the city centre and something needs to be done about it.

I am acutely aware that it is out of hand. My point remains ignored here; taxi's are not the only vehicles who are illegally parking in the city, not by a long shot. It's proper, regular and consistent motor law enforcement that is needed, not selective and additional laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just playing Devils Advocate....

How many people that are complaining about the parking etc. Just a year or so ago were complaining about taxi drivers wanting a cessation on the issue of plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Just playing Devils Advocate....

How many people that are complaining about the parking etc. Just a year or so ago were complaining about taxi drivers wanting a cessation on the issue of plates?

Is it too much to ask that taxi drivers obey the law, even if they're in dispute with the regulator about the number of plates issued?

Wasn't aware of this coming in; interesting to hear of it.

I am acutely aware that it is out of hand. My point remains ignored here; taxi's are not the only vehicles who are illegally parking in the city, not by a long shot. It's proper, regular and consistent motor law enforcement that is needed, not selective and additional laws.

They aren't the only ones, of course they aren't, but something needs to be done that will put an end to it. Frankly I don't think the existing laws are sufficient - they patently are not due to the flagrant way in which taxis are parking in bus stops, across pedestrian crossings, etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

aphex™ wrote: »
    I rang up to complain about the unofficial regular nightly taxi rank outside Doheny and Nesbit on Merrion row during the week. I pointed out that they block a whole lane and park on double yellows.

I was a bit surprised at the response. Essentially, they go up and issue a few tickets and leave and in 5 mins the place will be jammed with taxis again.

Basically, the taxis have won the battle for the streets :(

Who exactly did you complain to and what was their response that "surprised "you so much?

markpb wrote: »
    Is it too much to ask that taxi drivers obey the law, even if they're in dispute with the regulator about the number of plates issued?

Just still playing Devil's Advocate.......

Why? People decided that they wanted more taxis competing for less business, therefore they are going to break whatever laws they can get away with, be that speeding, parking, plying for hire outside of your local chip shops, refusing short fares after Qing for an hour, after all they still need to make a living or would you prefer they didn't make a living?

People asked for more taxis, people got more taxis, people are still complaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

People asked for more taxis, people got more taxis, people are still complaining

who are these "people" of which you speak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

who are these "people" of which you speak?

Everyone who tried to get taxis on a regular basis before deregulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

Just still playing Devil's Advocate.......

Why? People decided that they wanted more taxis competing for less business, therefore they are going to break whatever laws they can get away with, be that speeding, parking, plying for hire outside of your local chip shops, refusing short fares after Qing for an hour, after all they still need to make a living or would you prefer they didn't make a living?

First off, how can you play Devil's Advocate when you're a Taximan?

Taxi drivers are not above the law and if any taximan thinks that they are, then they should be stripped of their licence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Good. The huge problem at the moment is that people will do the illegal parking as the Guard will just come over and say don't do it again, and then they'll do it five minutes later around the corner etc, or the next day, and be told exactly the same thing. People know this and use that to their advantage.

If we adopted a far less accepting approach with proper sanctions and punishments people would soon stop doing it when they know they'll get some points or a fine as they'd want to avoid that. Whether motorists like it or not is irrelevant at the end of the day, if they don't like it, there is a very easy way to avoid it. By complying with the rules.
    Therefore they are going to break whatever laws they can get away with, be that speeding, parking, plying for hire outside of your local chip shops, refusing short fares after Qing for an hour, after all they still need to make a living or would you prefer they didn't make a living?

Do I really see a post encouraging someone to break the law. Nobody is forced to drive a taxi, although in Ireland you'd swear they were the way some of them went on. The fact is there isn't enough enforcement in this country of such rules and in any other European country I've been to there would be much less tolerance than the authorities have here and the taximen wouldn't dare do some of the things they did here as they would be punished, and not told "don't do it again bud"

First off, how can you play Devil's Advocate when you're a Taximan?

Taxi drivers are not above the law and if any taximan thinks that they are, then they should be stripped of their licence.

I can play Devil's Advocate if I like.....
    In common parlance, a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can play Devil's Advocate if I like.....
    Of course you can to your heart's content, he's just remarking on how stupid it sounds for a taxi driver to play devil's advocate in this situation. Are you seriously telling us that you're taking a position you do not necessarily agree with? Please.

devnull wrote: »
    Good. The huge problem at the moment is that people will do the illegal parking as the Guard will just come over and say don't do it again, and then they'll do it five minutes later around the corner etc, or the next day, and be told exactly the same thing. People know this and use that to their advantage.

If we adopted a far less accepting approach with proper sanctions and punishments people would soon stop doing it when they know they'll get some points or a fine as they'd want to avoid that. Whether motorists like it or not is irrelevant at the end of the day, if they don't like it, there is a very easy way to avoid it. By complying with the rules.

Do I really see a post encouraging someone to break the law. Nobody is forced to drive a taxi, although in Ireland you'd swear they were the way some of them went on. The fact is there isn't enough enforcement in this country of such rules and in any other European country I've been to there would be much less tolerance than the authorities have here and the taximen wouldn't dare do some of the things they did here as they would be punished, and not told "don't do it again bud"

Hmmmm, no you are reading into it something which isn't there.

There is a rhetorical question at the end though of should people break the law to feed, clothe and house their families given that to make a living with the amount of taxis some breaking of the law goes on.

Similar argument to should you punish someone for stealing a loaf of bread

Of course you can to your heart's content, he's just remarking on how stupid it sounds for a taxi driver to play devil's advocate in this situation. Are you seriously telling us that you're taking a position you do not necessarily agree with? Please.

Seeing as I don't work Dublin city centre I have no need to park across from Nesbits or across the bottom of Grafton Street so Yeah I can play Devil's Advocate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The taxi regulator are a mess.

I'll give you one example, I made a complaint using their eform last week. Do you think I've even got an automated response acknowledging my complaint? Of course not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There is a rhetorical question at the end though of should people break the law to feed, clothe and house their families given that to make a living with the amount of taxis some breaking of the law goes on.

If your business isn't sustainable/viable why are you still in it? A non-viable business is not entitled to break the law to stay afloat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Hmmmm, no you are reading into it something which isn't there.

Similar argument to should you punish someone for stealing a loaf of bread

Perhaps.... in a country that has no social supports.

Ireland is a country arguably overburdened with such supports. So no there should be no absolution for breaking the law in this regard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement