Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player For Android?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Icefilms working great now aswell, this is frigging brilliant Im shocked at how good it is and I just made a "Whats the best Android Media Player" thread on another forum aswell, XBMC is by a mile.

If it wasnt for the add-ons and repositories looking so complex at first glance everyone would be running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Thargor wrote: »
    Icefilms working great now aswell, this is frigging brilliant Im shocked at how good it is and I just made a "Whats the best Android Media Player" thread on another forum aswell, XBMC is by a mile.

If it wasnt for the add-ons and repositories looking so complex at first glance everyone would be running it.

Does take some fiddling to get it right well worth it. Are you running with or without the recommend MX Player, I've found it works best without.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Help!!!

When I click on a channel in notfilmon I get a dialog box saying "external player active" "click ok when playback has ended". Icefilms works fine.
    My 'playercorefactory.xml' file is set up for mxplayer and mxplayer is installed.
    I'm using a galaxy s3 with non-neon build of xbmc frodo.

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Help!!!

When I click on a channel in notfilmon I get a dialog box saying "external player active" "click ok when playback has ended". Icefilms works fine.
    My 'playercorefactory.xml' file is set up for mxplayer and mxplayer is installed.

Yeah that me frustrated for ages.. here's how I fixed it.

Clear the cache for xbmc, uninstall xmbc and mx player, delete all files on your phone relating to xbmc, download and install xbmc v12.0 and reinstall your repo's, DO NOT INSTALL MX PLAYER. I dont know if that is the only way to fix it but it did for me.

I'm also using an s3, tried the neon and non-neon versions but nothing other than going back to v12.0 and removing Mx player worked.

This is the version I'm using and installation instructions contain no mention of Mx player..
    http://xbmc.org/download/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

On a somewhat related note, xbmc is testing hardware acceleration for Android. I have downloaded one of their nightly builds and it does not on my streams hd seamlessly, it also seems to have the new librtmp file that is needed to run justin. Tv and many other addons.

It works very well. Great way to start the weekend :-)

• Advertisement

gbob wrote: »
    Yeah that me frustrated for ages.. here's how I fixed it.

Clear the cache for xbmc, uninstall xmbc and mx player, delete all files on your phone relating to xbmc, download and install xbmc v12.0 and reinstall your repo's, DO NOT INSTALL MX PLAYER. I dont know if that is the only way to fix it but it did for me.

I'm also using an s3, tried the neon and non-neon versions but nothing other than going back to v12.0 and removing Mx player worked.

This is the version I'm using and installation instructions contain no mention of Mx player..
    http://xbmc.org/download/

Thanx, that worked a treat, changed the skin to 'touched', lot of fartin' around to get things working, but when it's sorted it's a great piece of software.
    Gonna put it on my Touchpad and the kids nexus's (nexi?):)

gzoladz wrote: »
    On a somewhat related note, xbmc is testing hardware acceleration for Android. I have downloaded one of their nightly builds and it does not on my streams hd seamlessly, it also seems to have the new librtmp file that is needed to run justin. Tv and many other addons.

It works very well. Great way to start the weekend :-)
    Any details on the quickest way to upgrade without having to do all my repos again please because I just realised the XBMC player struggles with 720p video files which is a real pity, still an essential app for the tv streaming capabilities though and they promise improvements in the future.

Any details on the quickest way to upgrade without having to do all my repos again please because I just realised the XBMC player struggles with 720p video files which is a real pity, still an essential app for the tv streaming capabilities though and they promise improvements in the future.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that MX player was recommended because of its h/w decoding and its 720p handling. . Just a shame it seems to break some playback.

Do you have to load it in Navi-X when you want to use it everytime though? The MX player on the Play store plays it perfectly so Ill just use that if theres no way to get it to play in MX player when you select it from videos in XBMCs start page, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Help!!!

Galaxy S3 has neon.

Also for sports fans check out sports devil on xbnmchub or the fusion repo.

• Advertisement

Any details on the quickest way to upgrade without having to do all my repos again please because I just realised the XBMC player struggles with 720p video files which is a real pity, still an essential app for the tv streaming capabilities though and they promise improvements in the future.[/QUOTE]

Go to this link

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/

TO download the latest file name hwaccel... And just install it directly.

None of your current settings or addons will be affected. I did it yesterday.

Ste- wrote: »
    Galaxy S3 has neon.

Also for sports fans check out sports devil on xbnmchub or the fusion repo.

Sportsdevil was always broken for me, I'll give it another go.

Go to this link

TO download the latest file name hwaccel... And just install it directly.

None of your current settings or addons will be affected. I did it yesterday.
    Thanks but that seems to be the exact same as what I had, is there something I need to activate in settings or something to tell it to use MX Player? Do I install the MX player app on the phone aswell or anything like that?

Thanks but that seems to be the exact same as what I had, is there something I need to activate in settings or something to tell it to use MX Player? Do I install the MX player app on the phone aswell or anything like that?
    Scratch that, got it working, put the xml file mentioned in this thread in the proper place:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=153734

And installed MX Player from the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad&hl=en

Finally I had to set MX player to software decoding because in hardware decoding mode there was no sound for some reason.

But after all that XBMC is now playing everything I can throw at it flawlessly, this is really an excellent bit of software, cant wait to see what they do in future...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Yes, on android phone, tablet, pc and xbox. Search how to install a repository. For Irish channels you'll need to install mosseys repo'. For English channels ive found notfilmon is best and you'll need mikey1234 repo. For movie and tv streaming theres 1channel, icefilms, navi-x.

It's well worth watching a few utube videos on installing these repos. I've cancelled my sky tv cause of xbmc.

If you get really stuck I'll try walk you through the setup.

Bit of a novice question no doubt, but would a nexus have to be rooted before starting all these? Cheers

Scratch that, got it working, put the xml file mentioned in this thread in the proper place:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=153734

And installed MX Player from the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad&hl=en

Finally I had to set MX player to software decoding because in hardware decoding mode there was no sound for some reason.

But after all that XBMC is now playing everything I can throw at it flawlessly, this is really an excellent bit of software, cant wait to see what they do in future...

You no longer need mx player of you use that version of the nightly build as xbmc can hardware de is decode it. Same with the librtmp file... No more need to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Just had the rugby playing at a birthday party using Mossy's repo. Match got turned the TV and phone and TV were in sync. Another guy streaming it on his iphone was 60 seconds behind.

Quality thread. Thanks all

Bit of a novice question no doubt, but would a nexus have to be rooted before starting all these? Cheers

No rooting necessary

No rooting necessary

Cheers, making my way through it now using YouTube, have xbmc on and can access plenty of US stuff, i'll try Mossy's repo now.

You no longer need mx player of you use that version of the nightly build as xbmc can hardware de is decode it. Same with the librtmp file... No more need to replace it.
    Ah sh1te yeah I see what you mean about MX Player interfering with other stuff, had to get rid of the xml I added earlier .

I see an option to turn hardware encoding on and off aswell in the video settings of the latest XBMC but unfortunately it only makes a tiny bit of difference to playing 720p files, nowhere near as good as MX Player, surely someones written an xml somewhere that says only switch to MX if playing a video file from SD and use native XBMC for everything else? Doesnt matter anyway I only watch videos on my phone once a month when Im traveling.

Another good thing in XBMC to skip navigating menus everytime is you can long press on basically everything selectable and hit Add to Favorites so I have all the Irish, UK and a few good US streams lined up in that menu to jump straight to them from the homescreen

• Advertisement

Ah sh1te yeah I see what you mean about MX Player interfering with other stuff, had to get rid of the xml I added earlier .

I see an option to turn hardware encoding on and off aswell in the video settings of the latest XBMC but unfortunately it only makes a tiny bit of difference to playing 720p files, nowhere near as good as MX Player, surely someones written an xml somewhere that says only switch to MX if playing a video file from SD and use native XBMC for everything else? Doesnt matter anyway I only watch videos on my phone once a month when Im traveling.

Another good thing in XBMC to skip navigating menus everytime is you can long press on basically everything selectable and hit Add to Favorites so I have all the Irish, UK and a few good US streams lined up in that menu to jump straight to them from the homescreen

Are you sure that you have the nightly build with hd acceleration installed?

I ask because since I installed that one I can play 720 from an usb drive and stream 1080 perfectly well.

I installed the third option on this list:

And in Video Settings I can see an option for hardware decoding that wasnt there before and with it on there is a slight improvement to playback but still unuseable, MX player plays everything perfectly.

Thats a great tip, thanx. Thread title should be changed to 'XBMC, tips and tricks'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i can't believe i didn't hear about this before seeing this thread a few days ago.
    have been dicking about with it on macbook and android over the weekend and it's deadly.
    however, does anyone have any suggestions on an alternative .xml instead of johnnybravo for sport? none of the channels are working for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

installed xbmc.can someone show me were i get notfilmon,navix and the likes?
    just had a look at xbmc site and
    im not sure were they are thanks

You need to just google for mossys repository and the like especially if they're in legally grey areas, theres loads of links on various forums, I remember notfilmon has a different name so Ill give you the link, this is the one I used:

http://www.unleashiphonerepo.com/xbmc/Live%20TV/NotFilmOn/Repo/

Repositories are .zip files, put them in a folder on your phones SD, go to Add-Ons in XBMC and Add from ZIP, navigate to the repository and select it and it should load up. If it doesnt show up straight away in your list of add-ons it has probably appeared in the list of add ons in the Get Add Ons section next to NASA TV, NFL, NBA etc.

Its a bit of a mess when you're getting into it but its piss easy once you do one or two...

Thargor which ones do you use for Sports (NBA and football most welcome, i have NFL gamepass so sorted for that!). Since last night i've put on Icefilms and a couple of other movie ones, Mossy's for the Irish TV...but no sport.

Such a helpful thread guys, has made me use my Nexus so much more now.

No interest in American sports sorry, Im sure someones written a repository out there with all the streams in but I haven't looked, finding reliable sports streams is hard on a laptop on the day nevermind getting one thats stable enough to make a repository out of, they're all illegal, I end up using a different website every weekend to stream Man Utd matches because they get taken down so often.

Noticed last night that with the hardware acceleration switched on in Playback settings in the newer versions of XBMC for Android it was causing massive sync issues with all my streams, turned it off and they went back to normal after I restarted the app.

Somebody has to have set it up so that it only switches to MX Player if you're playing a video file from local storage and not streaming but Im having no success finding it.

• Advertisement

Thargor which ones do you use for Sports (NBA and football most welcome, i have NFL gamepass so sorted for that!). Since last night i've put on Icefilms and a couple of other movie ones, Mossy's for the Irish TV...but no sport.

Such a helpful thread guys, has made me use my Nexus so much more now.

Sportsdevil, if you use the fusion installer you'll find the repo under sport. As Thargor said the links get taken down regularly but there's new ones soon after. MyPremiumTv is the best ive found in sportsdevil.

You'll find sportsdevil in MaxMusterman's repo.

Advertisement