Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player For Android?

Options
  • 07-03-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can someone please explain why there is STILL no version of RTE player for android devices? It makes absolutely no sense to me:confused::confused::confused::confused:

http://www.rte.ie/extra/apps.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

livEwirE wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can someone please explain why there is STILL no version of RTE player for android devices? It makes absolutely no sense to me:confused::confused::confused::confused:

because you didnt need up until about last year when they dropped flash support.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

livEwirE wrote: »
    Hi all,

Channel 4 finally got their finger out and launched one only for it to only work off wifi! Makes zero sense. I'd expect something like that will happen with Rte aswel. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

irishgeo wrote: »
    because you didnt need up until about last year when they dropped flash support.

You don't need flash to use the player, but a decent app would be better than the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭kirving

I think that developing Android apps is more difficult since there's a range of different screen resolutions, and processors. In the mean time, http://www.rte.ie/playerxl/ is decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

hardCopy wrote: »

You don't need flash to use the player, but a decent app would be better than the website.
    You do need Flash afaik. Use another browser (not chrome) go to the site, bookmark it, add to home screen, bobs your uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Try xbmc for Android, watch all live English and Irish channels over wifi or 3g. Plus stream or download pretty much any tv show or movie ever made. It needs a fair bit of setting up but well worth it.

Search Youtube for setup tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭cullenswood

gbob wrote: »
    Try xbmc for Android, watch all live English and Irish channels over wifi or 3g. Plus stream or download pretty much any tv show or movie ever made. It needs a fair bit of setting up but well worth it.

You can watch all these channels on your phone? How does this work. Downloaded xbmc on my one x but can't figure it out

You can watch all these channels on your phone? How does this work. Downloaded xbmc on my one x but can't figure it out

Yes, on android phone, tablet, pc and xbox. Search how to install a repository. For Irish channels you'll need to install mosseys repo'. For English channels ive found notfilmon is best and you'll need mikey1234 repo. For movie and tv streaming theres 1channel, icefilms, navi-x.

It's well worth watching a few utube videos on installing these repos. I've cancelled my sky tv cause of xbmc.

If you get really stuck I'll try walk you through the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Yes, on android phone, tablet, pc and xbox. Search how to install a repository. For Irish channels you'll need to install mosseys repo'. For English channels ive found notfilmon is best and you'll need mikey1234 repo. For movie and tv streaming theres 1channel, icefilms, navi-x.

It's well worth watching a few utube videos on installing these repos. I've cancelled my sky tv cause of xbmc.

How much bandwidth per month do you use??

And what speed is your connection??

I'd say you would need a high monthly allowance??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i take it all you can get with that re UK channels are what's on freeview??

for a minute i thought i'd be able to stream irish tv on my phone in the UK. unfortunately not!
    thanks for the info though gbob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can watch Rte player through Mozilla Browser with Adobe Flash Player 11 plugin. Works a charm on the Nexus 7

How much bandwidth per month do you use??

And what speed is your connection??

I'd say you would need a high monthly allowance??

Eircom broadband at home gives upto 15 mps, and 3mobile up to 7 mps, both unlimited.
    I don't watch tv much but plug my s3 into the hdtv and its plenty good enough.

i take it all you can get with that re UK channels are what's on freeview??

for a minute i thought i'd be able to stream irish tv on my phone in the UK. unfortunately not!
    thanks for the info though gbob.

You're in the uk and want to watch irish channels ? I don't know if there is any georesriction in place, but if there's not then xbmc will allow you watch as long as you've an Internet connection.

And ALL uk channels can be found if you're prepared to spend some time looking for them.

If you want an easy way to watch irish live channels go to aertv.ie and as long as flash works in your browser you'll have rte and tv3 etc live.

https://www.aertv.ie/#rte-one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does XBMC hog the phones resources when you're not using it? I heard people complaining about that a lot in the early builds that it always seemed to be doing something in the background...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

You're in the uk and want to watch irish channels ? I don't know if there is any georesriction in place, but if there's not then xbmc will allow you watch as long as you've an Internet connection.

And ALL uk channels can be found if you're prepared to spend some time looking for them.

even sky subscription channels???

Thargor wrote: »
    Does XBMC hog the phones resources when you're not using it? I heard people complaining about that a lot in the early builds that it always seemed to be doing something in the background...

I use version 12.0 which is an early build, it seems more stable than the later "xmbc for android" touch friendly version. And no I haven't experienced any background resource hogging. It does of course use a fair bit of battery when streaming.

They're there if you look hard enought. Not condoning such things but they're there.

I use version 12.0 which is an early build, it seems more stable than the later "xmbc for android" touch friendly version. And no I haven't experienced any background resource hogging. It does of course use a fair bit of battery when streaming.
    Yeah I got it set up in a minute there and it works great, Got mosseys and Notfilmon installed and everything, I usually spend an hour banging my head against these things, this is really nice thanks, whats the best Android skin to make it into a proper media player though? Right now it seems to be hjust a list of menus, everything works but Id love to make it pretty and Ive seen some great looking XBMC setups?

I used to have XBMC running on my first Xbox and it was an excellent entertainment centre back when there was no better option besides building a small pc, had all the emulators and a huge game library and eveerything, really glad to see it still going.

Yeah I got it set up in a minute there and it works great, Got mosseys and Notfilmon installed and everything, I usually spend an hour banging my head against these things, this is really nice thanks, whats the best Android skin to make it into a proper media player though? Right now it seems to be hjust a list of menus, everything works but Id love to make it pretty and Ive seen some great looking XBMC setups?

I used to have XBMC running on my first Xbox and it was an excellent entertainment centre back when there was no better option besides building a small pc, had all the emulators and a huge game library and eveerything, really glad to see it still going.

Haven't really messed too much with skinning, prefer to keep the installation as small and as stock as possible. But there are options within the settings to download skins.

• Advertisement

Yeah its all sorted now, theres a stock skin for touch devices already installed when you install XBMC and its nearly perfect, this is great, NotFilmon at 480p looks like 720p on my screen and it streams perfectly smooth over 3's unlimited data, same for AerTV, this is a major upgrade for my phone thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Jumping back to the original question RTE Digital told me on the 15th Feburary that they were working on an Android RTE Player but didn't have a date.
    "no launch date yet".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

*Cough*

In XBMC go to Programs - > Navi-X - > Media Portal -> Last 7 days

Thank me later....

*Cough*

It's an awful cough I have.... ;)

Dudda wrote: »
    Jumping back to the original question RTE Digital told me on the 15th Feburary that they were working on an Android RTE Player but didn't have a date.
    "no launch date yet".

Yeah sorry about the slight hijack :o

Fieldog wrote: »
    *Cough*

In XBMC go to Programs - > Navi-X - > Media Portal -> Last 7 days

Thank me later....

*Cough*

It's an awful cough I have.... ;)

No shortage of good stuff in there...;)

Yeah its all sorted now, theres a stock skin for touch devices already installed when you install XBMC and its nearly perfect, this is great, NotFilmon at 480p looks like 720p on my screen and it streams perfectly smooth over 3's unlimited data, same for AerTV, this is a major upgrade for my phone thanks!

We're here to please :D

Hello there Navi-X...:D

EDIT: Hmmm seems to prone to crashing or else the UI wasnt designed for touch screens, I get stuck when I go into a video, theres no way out of it, back key doesnt work and theres no exit option...

Hello there Navi-X...:D

EDIT: Hmmm seems to prone to crashing or else the UI wasnt designed for touch screens, I get stuck when I go into a video, theres no way out of it, back key doesnt work and theres no exit option...

Yeah I've found that with navi-x alright.. sometimes it takes a while, usually I'll just fc it and reopen xbmc. To be honest I don't use navi-x too much cause I find what im looking for in 1channel or icefilm.

Yeah I was just testing it out before unspecified sporting events at the weekend, looks good for that job though, download feature works aswell.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was just testing it out before unspecified sporting events at the weekend, looks good for that job though, download feature works aswell.

Download works very well, I download a very recent 3hr movie last night in around 40 minutes. And if you have downloaded videos with low sound you can play them with xbmc and boost the volume in the settings.. be careful you don't blow your speaker though.

Advertisement