Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arma 3 Alpha (Beta, full game)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I haven't played the series since, well, the first Operation Flashpoint! Been tempted to pick it back up but never really had the time. Think I may take advantage of this beta tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Got it this morning. Really love the graphics. They are quite amazing. It runs well on Very High/Ultra on my GTX660M and an i5 3210M.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Part 1 of a two part mission to Escape Stratis. This is one of the Co-op missions included with the Alpha release. Enjoy!

Reddit: http://redd.it/19x5g8

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ktulu123 wrote: »

hahhahaha 9.20

you can see what caused your mysterious space car :D

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Realistic is it? :P

t7wrH8r.gif

May have already been posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Kiith wrote: »
    Realistic is it? :P

t7wrH8r.gif

[SIZE="1"]May have already been posted.[/SIZE]

Sure is. Did you not know mortars worked like that ? What happens is the guy launches himself and pulls the pin of a grenade just before he lands. Its very effective as he can throw the grenade if his lz is inaccurate ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

lol, thats class. I was gonna pick this up to play over the weekend... and then my mouse broke. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I hear the chopper simulation is much improved. They released a Chopper sim last year so they must have gained valuable experience with that.
    I have my rudder pedals and stick ready to go, looking forward to persuading some mates to take the plunge so I have someone to play.

• Advertisement

Yeah the helicopters are really great now. Makes flying on the ground that much more enjoyable :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Yeah the helicopters are really great now. Makes flying into the ground that much more enjoyable :)

FYP :P

haha Nope. I'm one of those guys lucky enough to be able to fly helicopters :P I'll have the helicopter showcase mission up later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Hi.

Need a small bit of help if anyone can oblige.

I downloaded Arma 3 on a friends pc through my own steam account (as I have terrible internet).

I've saved the entire steam folder on a portable drive and also used the steam game backup feature and saved that too.

Need to know what I have to do when I get back to my own pc to get Arma up and running. Some say copy and paste the steamapps folder but I figure that would mess up what steam games I have already.

Can i copy and paste the Arma 3 game folder itself into my current steamapps folder ?

Any advice on how to sort it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Heckler wrote: »
    Hi.

Need a small bit of help if anyone can oblige.

I downloaded Arma 3 on a friends pc through my own steam account (as I have terrible internet).

I've saved the entire steam folder on a portable drive and also used the steam game backup feature and saved that too.

Need to know what I have to do when I get back to my own pc to get Arma up and running. Some say copy and paste the steamapps folder but I figure that would mess up what steam games I have already.

Can i copy and paste the Arma 3 game folder itself into my current steamapps folder ?

Any advice on how to sort it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Start the download on your computer.
    Copy the ArmA3 folder from SteamApps>Common into your SteamApps>Common, then in Steam right click on ArmA and hit Verify game files.

You could have created a Steam Backup on your friends computer and that probably would have been easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Start the download on your computer.
    Copy the ArmA3 folder from SteamApps>Common into your SteamApps>Common, then in Steam right click on ArmA and hit Verify game files.

You could have created a Steam Backup on your friends computer and that probably would have been easier.

Worked a treat. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

im in two minds about getting this: arma 2 vs arma3

its still in alpha so is there actually many missions you can do? is there planes?

as regards arma 2 the graphics obviously arent as great as arma 3, thats my main gripe, why get silver when you can have gold!

what should i do?!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

flynnlives wrote: »
    im in two minds about getting this: arma 2 vs arma3

its still in alpha so is there actually many missions you can do? is there planes?

as regards arma 2 the graphics obviously arent as great as arma 3, thats my main gripe, why get silver when you can have gold!

what should i do?!

Well there is an editor where you can create missions on the small island current available - and there are other missions you can download. The alpha is infantry focused but there are helicopters. Buying the alpha gets you access to the Beta and the full game so it's a pretty decent deal. Of course the final version will have a wide selection of aircraft.

For me it wasn't about graphics, ARMA II could look pretty good, it was the clunkiness of it. III feels much improved with that sawtooth movement feeling more natural. Over all III feels highly polished, especially for an alpha.

Most people are likely to migrate over to III as it progresses to final release. Since DayZ is getting a standalone release there are fewer reasons to stay with II IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

5uspect wrote: »
    Well there is an editor where you can create missions on the small island current available - and there are other missions you can download. The alpha is infantry focused but there are helicopters. Buying the alpha gets you access to the Beta and the full game so it's a pretty decent deal. Of course the final version will have a wide selection of aircraft.

For me it wasn't about graphics, ARMA II could look pretty good, it was the clunkiness of it. III feels much improved with that sawtooth movement feeling more natural. Over all III feels highly polished, especially for an alpha.

Most people are likely to migrate over to III as it progresses to final release. Since DayZ is getting a standalone release there are fewer reasons to stay with II IMHO.

this is what i meant to say! my use of words is, ah, ****!

but ya i agree with everything you stated.

will they be adding more vehicles and weapons as the alpha moves along and into the beta?

Live Commentaries of the four Showcase Missions included with the Alpha:

Infantry Showcase

Helicopter Showcase

Vehicles Showcase

SCUBA Showcase

Reddit: http://redd.it/1a5p5c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

If anyone has a spare Alpha Lite code I'd love to give it a go.

Been thinking about buying but really would want to try it out on my machine first. Make sure it doesn't fall to pieces.

Not till the 15th or so I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What PC do you have? I'm running it at high in an i3 and a 7750. Nothing special but I'm getting decent fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

MadYaker wrote: »
    What PC do you have? I'm running it at high in an i3 and a 7750. Nothing special but I'm getting decent fps.

Im on an i5 2500k & 560Ti and i'm struggling to get over 30fps on high. Usually have to play on Medium to get a decent framerate

No idea how much fps I'm getting but its smooth unless I turn the view distance up to high/insane.

Korvanica wrote: »
    Im on an i5 2500k & 560Ti and i'm struggling to get over 30fps on high. Usually have to play on Medium to get a decent framerate

I'm on a 2500k @ 3.3GHz and a GTX570. Mostly high with some very high. View distance set to about 1700M.
    runs perfectly on most things, wasteland and Zombie Sandbox take some of the sheen off it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

The game still needs/will be getting a lot of optimization, expect FPS to rise with new updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

played few hours of arma 3 wasteland ... so much fun ! still some bugs with the inventory but overall ... bloody brilliant.

Yeah like not being able to take guns from vehicles without getting into them first. Also I don't like the way when you use your scroll wheel to highlight "get in vehicle as driver" you have to press enter to get in instead of just clicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Korvanica wrote: »

I have an i7 3770k overclocked to 4.6 and a Gtx 690 and 16gb of RAM and I still get crap fps. No one gets good fps in this yet :-P

Advertisement