Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By-Election Confirmed for March 27th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well that's that, when can we expect results?

Tomorrow mid morning should give an indication with a final answer later that day. We may have exit polls tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If the turnout figures doing the rounds are correct, whereby turnout is way down in the southern end of the constituency but holding steady in the north, then that's bad news for pretty much all the candidates bar McEntee.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If the turnout figures doing the rounds are correct, whereby turnout is way down in the southern end of the constituency but holding steady in the north, then that's bad news for pretty much all the candidates bar McEntee.

Any idea how bad the weather is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Sully wrote: »

I'm in Ratoath. I've passed the national school 3 or 4 Times and it's been pretty empty. Voted at 1 and there were no other voters. Weather is grand now, though there were snow showers earlier

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Apparently it is worse in the northern end of the constituency, with plenty of snow about!

The restriction of polling hours is undoubtadely having an effect. Southern end of the constituency has a large amount of commuters, and they will miss those extra two hours of polling more so than others. Important to keep in mind that McEntee herself was not well known in the southern end of the constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

There is always a moratorium for elections and referendums.

Ah right, so they did do something wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Considering DDI were going around Ashbourne on loudspeaker shouting out that they would "end corruption" and that if people voted for the main parties they would "only have themselves to blame".

Its called Democracy. Something you apparently believe in. If the Irish want to vote a particular way, that's their own choice and the DDI should respect that. The people will vote for candidates or a party that they believe will represent them well in the broader scheme of things and not for a party or candidate that can do absolutely nothing (DDI, Independents, SF etc).

I'm not too sure I understand what point is being made here.

I am aware we are living in a democracy and I absolutely believe in democracy, but democracies come in different shapes and sizes, the people in this country can transfer their votes to everybody on the ballet, in order of preference, it is those transfers the help maintain the status quo, the largest beneficiaries of transfers are the main parties (FF/FG/Lab) because their brand is the strongest.

I haven't set foot in ME but I'm willing to bet nobody has outspent the major parties, is this fair? Is that a democracy I have faith in, no.

The main parties have been "representing us in the broader scheme of things" since the foundation of the state and look where it has got us. I think a vote for anybody outside of the troika(FF/Fg/Lab) is a vote that limits the damage they can do in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So where are all these fianna fail voters that greeted you so warmly at there doorsteps?

11% turnout so far shows just how disgusted the people are at fianna fail and fine gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Sparko

Just back from polling station in Ashbourne, very low turnout according to the people there, they're bored out of their brains. Micheal Martin turned up just as I was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Sparko wrote: »
    Micheal Martin turned up just as I was leaving.

Michael , its nearly time to load up your truck with your arrogance and lies and drive it back to Cork.

• Advertisement

raymon wrote: »

Michael , its nearly time to load up your truck with your arrogance and lies and drive it back to Cork.
    Leader of the most corrupt party in the western world, and seems proud!

So where are all these fianna fail voters that greeted you so warmly at there doorsteps?

11% turnout so far shows just how disgusted the people are at fianna fail and fine gael.

Not sure what the low turnout actually means (I suspect it means complete apathy more so than disgust), but I would have thought a low turnout would suit the FG campaign.

McEntee's seat I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭rpurfield

i went down to vote in stamullen about 2pm and i swear to god one of the folk manning a box seemed to jump from a slumber as i walked in!!seemed to be a decent amount of names crossed off the list at my box as the lady was searching for my name more than i expected to be honest.

Why just FF and FG? I asked someone earlier why they weren't voting.

"They're all the same, they all take but give nothing"

was the response I got

If anything the low voter turnout shows one of two things;

1) Dissatisfaction with politics in general and not believing voting will change anything,
    2) People not bothered at all.

What it does confirm is that DDI is effectively a dead duck of an idea. If the people wanted change, they would come out in large numbers and get behind the DDI. But the fact that they didn't bother voting in large numbers proves you can't run a government where the people vote frequently via referendums on the running of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Just checked on the independent 's website.

Not a mention of the election in there.......

They're not that optimistic I can only presume?

I'm neither an FG or FF supporter btw.

I'm not too sure I understand what point is being made here.

I am aware we are living in a democracy and I absolutely believe in democracy, but democracies come in different shapes and sizes, the people in this country can transfer their votes to everybody on the ballet, in order of preference, it is those transfers the help maintain the status quo, the largest beneficiaries of transfers are the main parties (FF/FG/Lab) because their brand is the strongest.

I haven't set foot in ME but I'm willing to bet nobody has outspent the major parties, is this fair? Is that a democracy I have faith in, no.

The main parties have been "representing us in the broader scheme of things" since the foundation of the state and look where it has got us. I think a vote for anybody outside of the troika(FF/Fg/Lab) is a vote that limits the damage they can do in the future.

Again, your suggesting the electorate are stupid and they are just buying into the big "brand" without having a clue and fully understanding the pros & cons of voting for each candidate and thus they wouldn't vote for a smaller independent or the DDI.

The DDI campaign in Meath East was insulting. Having cows and bulls as election posters and going around saying "you have only yourself to blame" will only rub people up the wrong way. Its also misleading - a vote for Ben Gilroy will not prevent corruption, as was said. If Meath East gave Ben the seat in large numbers, it wouldn't make any impact in the Dail and it would be business as usual from their "we will change it all" plan.

If anything the low voter turnout shows one of two things;

1) Dissatisfaction with politics in general and not believing voting will change anything,
    2) People not bothered at all.

What it does confirm is that DDI is effectively a dead duck of an idea. If the people wanted change, they would come out in large numbers and get behind the DDI. But the fact that they didn't bother voting in large numbers proves you can't run a government where the people vote frequently via referendums on the running of the state.

I agree in part, I yearn for a change in politics but I don't believe the DD is it, but I it wasn't exactly a level playing field now was it. Only the other evening I found myself watching 20 mins of Primetime television which included a debate between 4 candidates, all from the main parties....you cannot buy that kind of exposure.

It is a very difficult task to reach 60,000 voters spread thoughout a rural district in a short space of time...you need a lot of money a large army of foot soldiers, and preferably with local knowledge and experience, but if any members of DD are tonight feeling in anyway dejected, I for one commend the purity of your motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

SamHall wrote: »
    Just checked on the independent 's website.

Not a mention of the election in there.......

They're not that optimistic I can only presume?

I'm neither an FG or FF supporter btw.

One would expect a protest vote against the Government, but there appears to no rush either to put in the rotten FF party, despite all the polls recently. FF may still win the seat, but it will gain little comfort in that the turnout is so low, hardly an endorsement. People in their droves are not so stupid as to support the party that ruined our economy and get them back in to finish off the destruction.

Again, your suggesting the electorate are stupid and they are just buying into the big "brand" without having a clue and fully understanding the pros & cons of voting for each candidate and thus they wouldn't vote for a smaller independent or the DDI.

The DDI campaign in Meath East was insulting. Having cows and bulls as election posters and going around saying "you have only yourself to blame" will only rub people up the wrong way. Its also misleading - a vote for Ben Gilroy will not prevent corruption, as was said. If Meath East gave Ben the seat in large numbers, it wouldn't make any impact in the Dail and it would be business as usual from their "we will change it all" plan.

If the first part of your statement is true, then why have FG spent so much on this election, or on any election for that matter, why do parties vie for crucial poster positions...why do they place adverts in local papers...do they not see a value in these?

Tell me, why do politicians when running for elections, often alter the size of the logo on those posters (depending on how popular the party is at that time) Let me tell you why anybody invests in posters or adverts such as this...brand exposure....

As for DD campaign being a disgrace for going around saying "you only have yourselves to blame"....well isn't that what our great leader Enda suggested to anybody who would listen over him in Davos, that the Irish people only had themselves to blame...

Have any of the main parties ever made a claim during an election process that they quiet didn't mean?

Be in no doubt, the low turnout in this election was a result of complete disgust and helplessness.

• Advertisement

Why didn't these disgusted people vote for DDI, the true democratic party, in droves?

Why didn't these disgusted people vote for DDI, the true democratic party, in droves?

Well like I said....it's not easy reaching 60,000 people in a rural constituency when

You have no prior history of representing the electorate in the area

The vast majority of the constituency would not have heard of DD before the beginning of the campaign

You are up against 4 different political machines

Who all know what posters should be placed where

Who all have an army of foot soldiers prepared to knock on doors that they have been knocking on for years (who know every road and by road in the area)

When the 4 main parties you are up against out spend you by a massive proportion

When your national broadcaster, for some reason, decides to air a pre election debate with those 4 main parties (who all receive funding from the taxpayer) and excluding you, bearing in mind I have no idea why our national broadcaster would air what should have been a local debate, and then to simply select 4 of the main candidates.

When you don't have long standing contacts in local media

When you are not prepared to play dirty like ALL the major parties do.

I probably have left out a few other issues but it's been a while since I participated in an election

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think BG is a clown, but I don't think the likely failure of him to get votes 'in droves' can be held against him.
    Its incredibly tough for a party to get votes in its first campaign, a decent percentage of the (non internet using, non political nerds like us) Meath East voters probably hadn't even heard of him until his name was on their ballot paper today.

DDI knew they hadn't a snowballs chance of winning, but doubtless have a target percentage they were aiming for. You get a decent percentage, that encourages the members to try again next time, then you start focussing on the local elections in June2014 where a concentrated campaign in a small area can get a council seat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

I agree with most of what has been said above with regards the turnout and the DDI.

I also believe that the weather definitely didn't help and I seriously believe Phil Hogan deserves a bunch of Seriously Long Arranged Parchments Sent to his office in protest of the opening hours of the stations on the commuter belt. Opening at 8 effectively cut off morning voting for commuters. Not fair to those people, especially with it being mid-term as well with parents rushing back home.

Thomas Byrne for the win (Someone has to balance the thread) though I do believe brand McEntee has probably edged it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

The low turnout in meath says to me a lot of people are disillusioned with politics and distrustful of all politicians in general and really I dont blame them-some pre election promises prior the last general election vote labour we will protect child benefit; last budget labour tds vote to cut child benefit- in roscommon vote fine gael we will protect emergency services at roscommon hospital-a few months later fine gael tds vote to downgrade the emergency services at roscommon hospital- when some people say voting wont change anything they are all the same I get where they are coming from

Let me help FF choose reasons for their defeat.

1) The snow stopped people voting FF
    2) The sympathy vote stopped people voting FF
    3) The voting times stopped people voting FF
    4) People fed up with FG stopped people voting FF
    5) Low turnout stopped people voting FF

Or they could choose off this list
    1) Picking a member of the previous govt that callously collapsed our economy and handed over our soverignty stopped people voting FF
    2) Not admitting that the property tax was a FF idea stopped people voting FF
    3) sending 500 FF stormtroopers into the region to convince the people that the government was to blame stopped people voting FF

Let me help FF choose reasons for their defeat.

1) The snow stopped people voting FF
    2) The sympathy vote stopped people voting FF
    3) The voting times stopped people voting FF
    4) People fed up with FG stopped people voting FF
    5) Low turnout stopped people voting FF

Or they could choose off this list
    1) Picking a member of the previous govt that callously collapsed our economy and handed over our soverignty stopped people voting FF
    2) Not admitting that the property tax was a FF idea stopped people voting FF
    3) sending 500 FF stormtroopers into the region to convince the people that the government was to blame stopped people voting FF
    You left out that byrne was fianna fail hero bertie aherns apprentice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

We await with baited breath.

Its gonna be close according to some media outlets.

First tallies in. Fianna Fail vote is very weak.

• Advertisement

First tallies in. Fianna Fail vote is very weak.

You really are a broken record. FF are polling second in most boxes, as predicted.

Also, strong possibility that Gilroy will poll ahead of Labour. If that happens, well, Gilmore will be screwed!

Advertisement