Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By-Election Confirmed for March 27th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

So its up to the party to keep or remove him.

In that case, can the party please explain, to the voters, their position on Abortion and on any other issue on which this DDI deputy may be asked to legislate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

raymon wrote: »
    I predict the debate will go like this

FF candidate tells lies
    The plank exposes the lies
    FF candidate whinges for the next year

Getting popcorn
    Byrne came across really badly in the debate. Having amnesia must be hard work .

You come across as having some kind of agenda tbh.
    I can't help but feel I've spotted very similar comments/views on other sites.

Not insinuating anything btw, but that's how it looks.

I'm no fan of FF either btw, but I'm not obsessed by mentioning them in nearly every post i make on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

SamHall wrote: »
    You come across as having some kind of agenda tbh.
    I can't help but feel I've spotted very similar comments/views on other sites.

Not insinuating anything btw, but that's how it looks.

I'm no fan of FF either btw, but I'm not obsessed by mentioning them in nearly every post i make on this site.

Can you link to these similar posts? Just curious.

If you are suggesting that I am a party hack then you are very wrong. I do have an agenda though.Fianna Fail brought our economy down savagely and without remorse.
    now they are trying to erase their past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Can you link to these similar posts? Just curious.

If you are suggesting that I am a party hack then you are very wrong. I do have an agenda though.Fianna Fail brought our economy down savagely and without remorse.
    now they are trying to erase their past.

I'm not linking anything, i take your word for it.

Do you think FG and Labour are doing any better, honestly?

Despite the promises of not another red cent, no to property taxes, and Labour way or the frankfurt way.

How are they improving anything?

I personally hope Ms McEntee doesn't get that seat in Meath, and I'm not in that constituency, but putting up a woman, surely still grieving at her fathers death goes completely against the end to cronyism, dynasty politics, and transparency promised by the party before they got into power?

I agree with you, FF wrecked the country and economy.
    FG and Labour are continuing down the same path, despite being elected to choose a different one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

DDI - Equal Opportunities Employer. :D

7pJY4a_thumb.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Despite the promises of not another red cent, no to property taxes, and Labour way or the frankfurt way.

I personally hope Ms McEntee doesn't get that seat in Meath, and I'm not in that constituency, but putting up a woman, surely still grieving at her fathers death goes completely against the end to cronyism, dynasty politics, and transparency promised by the party before they got into power?

FG and Labour are continuing down the same path, despite being elected to choose a different one.

So McEntee shouldn't be voted in because her dad was there before her? What if she's the right person for the job, should she be denied this opportunity because her dad was there before her? I understand the dynasty aspect but it's not like she's some uneducated lap dog.

I still don't know who I'm voting for. Primetime was of no help last night. I missed most of the interviews on VB so I'll have a look back over them. I was surprised at how the interview went with Ben Gilroy, didn't get a chance to say much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Hijpo wrote: »
    For christ sake, there is no point in debating with someone when they ignore the evidence put infront of them and keep harping on with a question thats already been answered.

In the video i posted (one which you obviously couldnt be botherd to watch or you would have gotten the message already and not kept asking the same question) ben says that he is pro life, but his view doesnt matter because the people tell him how to vote and if he doesnt vote the way the people want then they can remove him.

Have a few reads of it. Does everyone else understand what ben is saying here? Can anyone else explain it to Dandelion any clearer? Do you want that answer? Are you going to stop asking the abortion question now?

If he does'nt understand it by now, he never will.

"ben says that he is pro life, but his view doesnt matter because the people tell him how to vote and if he doesnt vote the way the people want then they can remove him."

That's a great scam altogether. That way, candidates can tell voters that their own opinions don't matter, so we needn't mind what they think. It relieves them of all responsibility for their own opinions and actions.

The fact is that people cannot remove him under the current system, and moreover, he will be asked to vote on matters of this kind in the current Dail. That being so, he does need to explain his own views.

Dia mean like all the government backbenchers with the whip system?

So McEntee shouldn't be voted in because her dad was there before her? What if she's the right person for the job, should she be denied this opportunity because her dad was there before her? I understand the dynasty aspect but it's not like she's some uneducated lap dog.

I still don't know who I'm voting for. Primetime was of no help last night. I missed most of the interviews on VB so I'll have a look back over them. I was surprised at how the interview went with Ben Gilroy, didn't get a chance to say much

Is this any help?

George Lee quits Dáil and Fine Gael - RTÉ News

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

darkhorse wrote: »

If anything that just proves George didn't care much for his electorate by leaving so soon after being elected. Perhaps he wasn't able to hack it?

• Advertisement

How much say would any of the others have? How much influence would Ben Gilroy have if elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I am not a fan of FG or Labour either. I am disappointed. But haven't given up on them completely

I was hoping that the collapse of FF would lead to a raft of excellent independents to rise above FG, FF and Lab but that was very far from the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

So its up to the party to keep or remove him.

In that case, can the party please explain, to the voters, their position on Abortion and on any other issue on which this DDI deputy may be asked to legislate?

Are you for real? the abortion issue again?
    Sully wrote: »
    DDI - Equal Opportunities Employer. :D

7pJY4a_thumb.png

More than likely they were just doing a 3 point turn, you can clearly see the van is occupied and not just left there. What party is the person who took that picture involved with?
    How much say would any of the others have? How much influence would Ben Gilroy have if elected?

He will have just as much say as the others that get in, however he wont have a party whip system telling him how to vote, is extremely vocal against whats going on in the Dáil and doesnt have any vested interests.

If anything that just proves George didn't care much for his electorate by leaving so soon after being elected.

Or that he cared too much for the electorate and it was'nt liked, so better to keep him quiet. Maybe ask Peter Matthews what I'm talking about.

Or that he cared too much for the electorate and it was'nt liked, so better to keep him quiet. Maybe ask Peter Matthews what I'm talking about.

I doubt that was the case to be fair, considering he was only elected a wet day and no party would elect a high profile figure to silence them. Defeats the purpose. He was never going to get such a senior position in government, its not how it works.

I doubt that was the case to be fair, considering he was only elected a wet day and no party would elect a high profile figure to silence them. Defeats the purpose. He was never going to get such a senior position in government, its not how it works.

In a government with a whip system, Sully, the most important aspect as far as the leadership is concerned is bums on seats, and if one of them happens to be a high profile figure, so much the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

FWIW a friend of mind is a very vocal pro-choice advocate, yet she also is a member of DDI and has no problem with Ben Gilroys stance on this issue.

In a government with a whip system, Sully, the most important aspect as far as the leadership is concerned is bums on seats, and if one of them happens to be a high profile figure, so much the better.

Then your suggesting that the electorate are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Then your suggesting that the electorate are stupid.

No, what he means (I believe) is that the main parties believe the electorate are stupid.

And when you consider that despite all that has happened in this country over the last number of years FF and FG are neck and neck in this by-election, you couldn't blame for thinking that.

Are you suggesting that political parties don't believe that the electorate are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭rpurfield

No, what he means (I believe) is that the main parties believe the electorate are stupid.

And when you consider that despite all that has happened in this country over the last number of years FF and FG are neck and neck in this by-election, you couldn't blame for thinking that.

Are you suggesting that political parties don't believe that the electorate are stupid.

its really no great suprise they are neck and neck considering how theyve basically carved power up between them since the beginning of the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

rpurfield wrote: »
    its really no great suprise they are neck and neck considering how theyve basically carved power up between them since the beginning of the state.

And look where it has got us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭rpurfield

And look where it has got us.

believe me im not defending it silentcorner but thats pretty much how it is sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Have a few reads of it. Does everyone else understand what ben is saying here? Can anyone else explain it to Dandelion any clearer? Do you want that answer? Are you going to stop asking the abortion question now?

How does that answer the question whether he would legislate for X now or demand another referendum, as his tweet implied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

think RTE may have just broken the broadcast mortatorium, their news report included footage of a guy carrying a big Thomas Byrne (FF) election poster.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

think RTE may have just broken the broadcast mortatorium, their news report included footage of a guy carrying a big Thomas Byrne (FF) election poster.
    If only there were a pseudolawyer who'd take umbrage at this and chant some magic incantations...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Robbo wrote: »
    If only there were a pseudolawyer who'd take umbrage at this and chant some magic incantations...

If they were breaking rules you dont need a lawyer all you need is a voice and a bit of cop on, obviously you wont hear or see any FF hacks bringing it to anyones attention.
    Anyway there is no moratorium for this by election as far as im aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rufty

Moratorium applied to parties and party spokes people canvassing for a vote, setting out policies etc. Doubt reporting that the election is on counts. There's bound to be inclusion of who's running in any such report. I didn't see it though so maybe RTÉ did get it wrong. I'll have a view of the 6.1 and see for myself.

Considering DDI were going around Ashbourne on loudspeaker shouting out that they would "end corruption" and that if people voted for the main parties they would "only have themselves to blame".

Its called Democracy. Something you apparently believe in. If the Irish want to vote a particular way, that's their own choice and the DDI should respect that. The people will vote for candidates or a party that they believe will represent them well in the broader scheme of things and not for a party or candidate that can do absolutely nothing (DDI, Independents, SF etc).

If they were breaking rules you dont need a lawyer all you need is a voice and a bit of cop on, obviously you wont hear or see any FF hacks bringing it to anyones attention.
    Anyway there is no moratorium for this by election as far as im aware.

There is always a moratorium for elections and referendums.

• Advertisement

Well that's that, when can we expect results?

Advertisement