Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest LEGO Purchases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

pikaia wrote: »
    Deadly, need to get myself one of those.

Its a great bit of kit, fantastic for conversation. Get a leather strap with it as otherwise you'll have to be holding the damned thing when your having your mead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I will do pal, its probably the most I'll ever spend on one piece so I'm gonna take it nice and slow.

I shouldn't be this excited but I cant help it :D:D:D:D

Pour all the bags into one pile, you know you want to :D

I would have done that myself only I didn't have the space to leave it lying around...it still took 3 or 4 days opening one set of bags at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭halloweenboy

I got Arkham Asylum breakout for Christmas, and, I have to say, it is a stunning set. Amazing mini figures and the architectural designs are so good. Also the van that comes with it is so much better than the old one.10/10. I have also gotten a little sneak preview at the DC sets for this year and managed to buy the Penguin Face-Off and the Man Bat Attack. They are both great sets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭p_o_s_t_y

I'll have to get the new batman sets,the new spiderman,electro,power man,goblin big fig sets,the new hulk set with taskmaster falcon,modok and Thor,new cap America set with red skull and hydra agent,new x-men set with wolverine,magneto,storm and giant sentinel plus there is 3 guardian of the galaxy sets coming out,going to be a costly year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

p_o_s_t_y wrote: »
    I'll have to get the new batman sets,the new spiderman,electro,power man,goblin big fig sets,the new hulk set with taskmaster falcon,modok and Thor,new cap America set with red skull and hydra agent,new x-men set with wolverine,magneto,storm and giant sentinel plus there is 3 guardian of the galaxy sets coming out,going to be a costly year :)

Its a sad thing that 99% of those sets are only driven by minifigs and builds themselves are mostly really bland stuff. Looks like this year Lego just decided to give what people want - ton of minigures...

• Advertisement

Its a sad thing that 99% of those sets are only driven by minifigs and builds themselves are mostly really bland stuff. Looks like this year Lego just decided to give what people want - ton of minigures...

I think that applies mainly to the Superheroes and, dare I say it, the LOTR/Hobbit themes. Those themes are primarily driven by minifigs, and they really do seem to be phoning in the building element. Thankfully I don't think the trend has spread; there are still fantastic sets coming out across other themes, this year included. The LEGO Movie theme looks like a great one for the purist.

I think that applies mainly to the Superheroes and, dare I say it, the LOTR/Hobbit themes. Those themes are primarily driven by minifigs, and they really do seem to be phoning in the building element. Thankfully I don't think the trend has spread; there are still fantastic sets coming out across other themes, this year included. The LEGO Movie theme looks like a great one for the purist.

Well Hobbit sets ( The unexpected gathering is an exception ) are pants, but I would argue with you about Lotr sets.

Helmsdeep + Urakai Army - Fantastic set
    Weathertop - a nice set on its own and not just the minifigs
    Shelob - Spider is awesome
    Gendolf Arrives - well its a small set and for a small set its still nice
    Orc Forge - meh
    Mines of Moria - meh
    Tower - well, now thats a set, which could have came witn no minifigs at all. Its damn Epic.

Second wave has a very cool ship and Black gate is cool as well. the other two sets are a bit meh, but Wizzards battle is one of the nicest small sets in my books.

I still yet to see a single Super Hero set that would actually make me go: well, that is really damn cool and I would love to have it. Maybe Arkham Prison is nice, but even so, not that nice.
    There is a reason why super hero sets are mostly "20$ sets". Those sets are bough for Minifigs, not Lego. Lego might as well just sell Minifigs alone for 10$/eu per pop and people will buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Those sets are bough for Minifigs, not Lego. Lego might as well just sell Minifigs alone for 10$/eu per pop and people will buy them.

My son views many Lego sets as a model that comes packaged with the minifigs he wants. Apart from a few big models that he has, it's the minifigs that are his long term play thing. Most of the small (€40 or less) sets are quickly broken down and used for MOCs and it's generally the minifigs that give him his long term play. I don't know whether it would be a good or bad thing if Lego started selling minifigs separately, tbh.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    My son views many Lego sets as a model that comes packaged with the minifigs he wants. Apart from a few big models that he has, it's the minifigs that are his long term play thing. Most of the small (€40 or less) sets are quickly broken down and used for MOCs and it's generally the minifigs that give him his long term play. I don't know whether it would be a good or bad thing if Lego started selling minifigs separately, tbh.

Well, I said it more "tong in a cheek" way, but I would not be surprised if Lego would actually do it. From what I see so far the actual builds in Super Hero sets are just really dull. In fairness to super Heroes, it was always about them ( comix, movies, cartoons ) and not about Locations or vehicles etc. Well, maybe Batman would be an exception, which reminds me - the very first Batman sets were actually cool, and I am not talking about minifigs!

7784.jpg

8e8e51dd43b4901ba2db6e6a559b5fc8.jpg

I know when I was growing up, minifigures were the last thing I cared about. Minifigs were just part for me to make a Minifig of Myself! :p From left over parts my friends would make themselves and we would play!

Its a shame really that kids these days care more about minifigs, then about brick it self. :( Well, at least your kid is building mocs and not just put them on shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Pour all the bags into one pile, you know you want to :D

This is so true, and something I really need to start doing to get more time out of stuff.

Hoping to get the Tower of Orthanc in February, so will have to start a big pile for that.

• Advertisement

Well Hobbit sets ( The unexpected gathering is an exception ) are pants, but I would argue with you about Lotr sets.

Helmsdeep + Urakai Army - Fantastic set
    Weathertop - a nice set on its own and not just the minifigs
    Shelob - Spider is awesome
    Gendolf Arrives - well its a small set and for a small set its still nice
    Orc Forge - meh
    Mines of Moria - meh
    Tower - well, now thats a set, which could have came witn no minifigs at all. Its damn Epic.

Second wave has a very cool ship and Black gate is cool as well. the other two sets are a bit meh, but Wizzards battle is one of the nicest small sets in my books.

I still yet to see a single Super Hero set that would actually make me go: well, that is really damn cool and I would love to have it. Maybe Arkham Prison is nice, but even so, not that nice.
    There is a reason why super hero sets are mostly "20$ sets". Those sets are bough for Minifigs, not Lego. Lego might as well just sell Minifigs alone for 10$/eu per pop and people will buy them.

Yeah, on reflection there were some nice sets in the LOTR. Although I have to say I was a bit disappointed with Helm's Deep, I wish they gave it the Orthanc treatment in terms of size/piece count.

I don't mind the Superheroes theme being driven by minifigures; it's such a character-oriented theme. I love having iconic characters portrayed in minifig form displayed next to each other. I get my building fix from other themes.

GodlessM wrote: »
    This is so true, and something I really need to start doing to get more time out of stuff.

Hoping to get the Tower of Orthanc in February, so will have to start a big pile for that.

Ha, be careful with Orthanc, it is 99.9% black pieces. I had a similar experience building the UCS Batmobile (posted by ShadowHearth, above). It takes an eternity to find pieces.

Yeah, on reflection there were some nice sets in the LOTR. Although I have to say I was a bit disappointed with Helm's Deep, I wish they gave it the Orthanc treatment in terms of size/piece count.

I don't mind the Superheroes theme being driven by minifigures; it's such a character-oriented theme. I love having iconic characters portrayed in minifig form displayed next to each other. I get my building fix from other themes.

Having great minifigs and some cool builds - thumbs up from me.
    Having great minifigs and have building part just as "well, we have to throw something in... its lego after all, not action man" - Thumbs down from me.

I understand the sentiment, even agree on principle - it just doesn't bother me when it comes to SH, because the characters are the draw of the theme. It would bother me greatly with other themes; with Star Wars it is important to get the ships right, because they are the iconic draw; with Lord of the Rings you have any number of iconic buildings/scenes like Helm's Deep, Moria, Orthanc etc. But outside of the heroes themselves, I can't think of anything I really want from the SH theme. Arkham Asylum is one of the only things I can think of in the Batman mythos, for example, and I think they have done a great job on that.

Everyone has a different perspective on the hobby - for a lot of people, the most important thing in the world is parts for MOCs, whereas others just want to have nice things to display on shelves. For some people, minifigures are the primary currency, and that's a legitimate take on the hobby too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ha, be careful with Orthanc, it is 99.9% black pieces. I had a similar experience building the UCS Batmobile (posted by ShadowHearth, above). It takes an eternity to find pieces.

UCS Batmobile wasn't helped by the quality of the building instructions either. I still won't care for the steering wheel gimmick in it.

I understand the sentiment, even agree on principle - it just doesn't bother me when it comes to SH, because the characters are the draw of the theme. It would bother me greatly with other themes; with Star Wars it is important to get the ships right, because they are the iconic draw; with Lord of the Rings you have any number of iconic buildings/scenes like Helm's Deep, Moria, Orthanc etc. But outside of the heroes themselves, I can't think of anything I really want from the SH theme. Arkham Asylum is one of the only things I can think of in the Batman mythos, for example, and I think they have done a great job on that.

Everyone has a different perspective on the hobby - for a lot of people, the most important thing in the world is parts for MOCs, whereas others just want to have nice things to display on shelves. For some people, minifigures are the primary currency, and that's a legitimate take on the hobby too.

In fairness. Batman is the only Super Hero theme that can pull off "Lego". I agree, everyone has their own likings and dislikes in hobby, but I dont want to see something I enjoy being replaced by something that is popular. the modenr Lego ( unfortunately ) is strongly based on minifigs, not the "constructor" it self.

I agree, everyone has their own likings and dislikes in hobby, but I dont want to see something I enjoy being replaced by something that is popular. the modenr Lego ( unfortunately ) is strongly based on minifigs, not the "constructor" it self.

Yeah, that's fair and I agree, if it was happening across themes I'd be in the same boat - but I see it as being a fairly insular case. There are still a lot of sets coming out every year where the focus is very much on the building IMO - so much so I start out every year wondering how the wallet will cope :)

Yeah, that's fair and I agree, if it was happening across themes I'd be in the same boat - but I see it as being a fairly insular case. There are still a lot of sets coming out every year where the focus is very much on the building IMO - so much so I start out every year wondering how the wallet will cope :)

God bless for such amount of Themes, there is always something for everyone. :).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

So last week I got:
    - Empire State Building: not much to it but it looks lovely :)
    - the blue pullback racer: enjoyed building and racing against the red one. This weekend I will combine them
    - the new technic helicopter: my mam built this - her first build. She loved it. It looked tricky, and a lot of parts for €10. Probably not the best for spare parts for MOC but a good starter set I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Righty, the Death Star is HUGE.

I've literally got zero space to store this bad boy, apart from my kitchen counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I've literally got zero space to store this bad boy, apart from my kitchen counter.

I have loads of space to display it on your behalf, if you like. :D

Happy to help. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Its a pitty the Super Star Destroyer is sooo expensive!.....430 euro?...wow!, would love it but cant justify the pricetag. You cant play with it...purely for display purposes only!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pikaia

jenjenten wrote: »
    Its a pitty the Super Star Destroyer is sooo expensive!.....430 euro?...wow!, would love it but cant justify the pricetag. You cant play with it...purely for display purposes only!
    If I had €430 that's how I would display it... :-)

latest additions....
    55485cdfa775b351a194d8a0d405aee7.jpg

Where on earth did you find Barrel Escape? That is one tough kit to track down.

Love Lake Town; I'm working on a big display piece with some more buildings for it.

Where on earth did you find Barrel Escape? That is one tough kit to track down.

Love Lake Town; I'm working on a big display piece with some more buildings for it.

They were all purchased from online lego shop, that's how I got barrel escape :-). I haven't built any of them yet but lake town does look pretty exciting.. Make sure you post up some pictures of your display when your finished, that would be great to see... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Are you finished? I have box 4 remaining. How long did it take you?

pikaia wrote: »
    They were all purchased from online lego shop, that's how I got barrel escape :-). I haven't built any of them yet but lake town does look pretty exciting.. Make sure you post up some pictures of your display when your finished, that would be great to see... :)

Will do, though it will be some time yet.

Will do, though it will be some time yet.

Look forward to it? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭halloweenboy

Hi everybody,
    I haven't posted in a while, so here is everything I have bought since Christmas. The cream of the crop was the Arkham Asylum Breakout. Excellent minifigures, great detail and well worth the price. As well as that, I got the Lone Ranger Station Wagon escape, The man bat attack, the Riddler chase, the sea port extremis battle, a lot of series 12 minifigures and finally a custom Lego hulk big fig...... The big fig was 10 euro all in from eBay and it is wearing the purple shorts which is cool. I'll give a review of it when it arrives!

Advertisement