Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever experienced hibernophobia?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

So the English hate the Irish the Americans hate the English and everyone strongly dislikes the French . I've had a few ppl try to call me a paddy they soon shut up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

One comment from some stranger in a foreign country a few years ago (I asked him directions). I didn't know it was called hibernophobia until now but I guess that's what it was. My life went on unchanged and I'm sure his did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

What is a Paddy??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Yeah this guy was like he had a tick, Tourettes almost, couldn't help it his neck would snap back violently and he'd blurt out "Paddy" but almost sounded like "Baddy" and he couldn't help it n he'd really spit it, viscuously.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Great. Now if anyone questions my politics I can accuse them of being an anti-hibernite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I honestly hope the term "hibernophobia" never comes into common usage in the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭saabsaab

One time really, this girl came up to me in a bar in Bolton and asked if I was Irish. I thought this was going to be my luck nite and said yep. She then when on to say that Irish are thick and I must be thick...big let down. Only other is when people (many Irish say this too) say that something is a bit Irish - meaning stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Madam_X wrote: »
    I don't think it's that unreasonable. There's a bizarre amount of it in this country - and all that "I'm ashamed to be Irish" sh1t. Can't say I've been struck by same from other nationalities.

Although I would understand embarrassment at some stuff (like Irish people being dicks in Australia) but certainly wouldn't feel in some way accountable for it.

Perhaps I'm doing GRMA a disservice.

You'll often find however, the 'self-loathing Irishman' argument is trotted out by some Republicans on Boards as a 'catch-all' term for those who don't subscribe to a standardised notion of how Irish folk should think, feel and react by default.

As for the broader issue, I also find myself baulking at the 'oh what will the [insert nationality here] think of us' mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I did once, so I switched to PMPA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Not anti-Irish sentiment but I did experience anti-white sentiment in Jamaica. There was a group of us sitting on the steps of a bank when this dude pulled up in a car and started shouting at us to 'get off my island'. There's a certain amount of dickheads wherever you go.

Saw a girl called a white catholic bitch for walking down the road past a taxi rank in Turkey??
    And hey you Irish are no good..
    Then they went all mad when I said your mommas a CAMEL...They can give but cant take some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Paddy Englishman, Paddy Irishman and Paddy Scotsman walk in to a bar, a good time was had by all.

Love it and it couldn't be truer.

I experience more Hibernophilia on a day-to-day basis. This lot (Spanish) want our babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Saw a girl called a white catholic bitch for walking down the road past a taxi rank??
    And hey you Irish are no good..
    Then they went all mad when I said your mommas a CAMEL...They can give but cant take some people.

Lay off the mushrooms, pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Love it and it couldn't be truer.

I experience more Hibernophilia on a day-to-day basis. This lot (Spanish) want our babies.

To eat?:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭Bertie Woot

gallag wrote: »
    I really cant understand UK and irish people being racist to each other, same people really, obviously us British are smarter, better looking, make better lovers and dont have as many gingers but we are basically the same!

We are not the same. The English came from a different island, colonised Ireland, then negatively stereotyped the entire Irish people as "stupid", "alcoholics", "lazy" and most recently, "terrorists" to justify 800 years of British colonial oppression, tyranny and genocide. The Irish have never done that to England or indeed any other nation, and now that England the coloniser has become the colonised, they can no longer hold onto their outdated and redundant superiority complex.

As for gingervitis, as well as infecting large swathes of Scotland and Ireland, it has also infected many parts of England. Queen Elizabeth II and her entire extended royal family are all gingers. Most have their hair dyed regularly, with Prince Harry being the only member of the Windsor household to not care.
    shar01 wrote: »
    About ten years ago on hols in the Canary Islands, I was in a group of six sitting outside a restaurant. At the next table was an English family (I'm guessing three generations). Anyway waiter drops a glass (it shattered loudly) and the grandmother of the English family said "Oh my gawd, I thought it was a facking bomb" and looked at our table.

We didn't respond - she was looking for a fight so why should we spoil our holiday and give her one!

Does this count?

Yes, very much so, and I have experienced similar. In 2009 (11 years after the Good Friday Agreement) I was going through security at Manchester airport and was pulled to one side and asked if I was in possession of a mobile phone. I produced my phone and they began rubbing a special cloth all over it to check for signs of explosives. It didn't bother me that much at the time, as I thought they were just doing their job, but in retrospect, I don't think anyone else was subjected to this. Perhaps I just give off a terrorist vibe (might have been the balaclava) ..
    Oh yeh, was in a Manchester bar as a teen (about two months after the '94 ceasefire) with my dad, uncle, cousin and a few other Irish people (not that Manchester isn't full of Irish anyway). Next thing there was a loud bang outside, gave us all quite a jolt. Never found out what it was. Our group got dirty looks from a few people in the bar... but that could have been in my head. :)

It may have been paranoia, on the other hand, maybe not. A lot of perceived discrimination is very subjective by nature and thus not provable; but if you feel that you have experienced 'hibernophobia', you probably have.
    First and only time i experienced it, was on holiday and a group of people from England decided to burn the Irish flag.

Quite scary.

That's pretty blatant. Just as blatant as Northern Protestants burning the Irish tricolour and an effigy of the Pope every year at their 11th July bonfires. Yes, it really happens.
    Shane Ward winning X Factor proves you wrong.

I remember in Magaluf I saw about 18 years ago a sign in the window of a bar No dogs or Irish.....

I was young then and felt maybe I should not hang around and get the taxi back to Santa Ponza.Should have smashed the windows or set fire to the place looking back as it was day time and no one was around.

"No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish" and "No Irish Need Apply" (NINA signs) were a common sight in the windows of bed and breakfasts in London in the 1960's, a time long before political correctness. Anti-Irish discrimination was rife in England at that time, and you'll still encounter it today, only in a much subtler form.
    circadian wrote: »
    Was once told that during Bloody Sunday that "we didn't kill enough of you".
    He was firmly in his arse.

Again, very blatant. but you don't know where this level of animosity is coming from. Perhaps one of his family or friends was in the British Army and liked by the IRA, you don't know. Still, that doesn't justify that type of sentiment, as the bloody Sunday massacre was also unjustified, and Cameron even apologised to the families of the people in Derry who were gunned down by the paratroop regiment.
    Was also once told by a National Front member that I had no right to hold an Irish passport if I was from Nothern Ireland. He also said that Irish passport holders had no place in the education system in England.

I just told him he was mental because he clearly was.

Another very clear and blatant example of hibernophobia. The NF are a far-right organisation akin to the BNP, many of their members are English football hooligans and undereducated, so not surprised you experienced this level of prejudice and hostility. The irony of course is that the people in NI are British, Northern Irish and Irish, and you can choose to be either Irish or British, or both and hold both a British and Irish passport if you choose.

Many English people also oppose Northern Ireland's place within the UK, as NI benefits slightly more under the Barnett Formula, and some English people resent that despite the NI economy suffering a lot more due to 30 years of political violence. During my time on a UK forum I learned that most English people (certainly on that forum) are in favour of Irish unification, as they view N.Ireland as "a nuisance state", a "waste of British tax-payer's money" and "a liability" They do not appreciate Ulster's 'loyalty'.
    Madam wrote: »
    Yes and its (possibly) the only country in the world where they are not vilfied - well not as much as they would be in England and to a lesser extent Ireland(depends where in Ireland your from);).

Oh and as to the Hibernophobia! Once heard a girl in a pub ask here friend for a glass of cider - she shouts to him as he's on his way to the bar 'don't get me the fenian stuff(I assume she meant Magners)!

"Fenian" was an umbrella term for the Fenian Brotherhood and Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB) before being used by Ulster Protestants as a derogatory term to describe not just Irish Republicans but Catholics in general. Like the term "fascist", it is has generally been viewed as a term of abuse by the Irish Catholic minority in NI.
    dd972 wrote: »
    English yobs who tailcoat Loyalism in it's Glasgow Rangers or Ulster paramilitary guises are usually inadequate saddo's attracted by it's macho allure, Chelsea have an element of these in their fan base, people from Slough or Staines with no culture, identity or accent so they go looking for one.

The English Defence League (EDL) have adopted the Loyalist slogan "No Surrender" as their own. They seem to be emulating Loyalism as a means of dealing with militant Islam in England, and to provide themselves with an aura of strength.

philologos wrote: »
    I honestly hope the term "hibernophobia" never comes into common usage in the English language.

It means fear of the Irish, not anti Irish racism.

Just because the word 'homophobia' is misused by coppers and journalists in the UK, doesn't mean we have to start a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

A bit here in Australia. The locals can dish it out but can't take it. Nothing especially nasty though, you can tell if they're messing or building up to a fight/row. No skin off my nose really, you do your thing and I'll do mine.

To be honest I wouldn't pay any heed to the term unless situations were cropping up where Irish were being targeted by police in a country or refused employment etc etc. Ya know, proper discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm doing GRMA a disservice.

You'll often find however, the 'self-loathing Irishman' argument is trotted out by some Republicans on Boards as a 'catch-all' term for those who don't subscribe to a standardised notion of how Irish folk should think, feel and react by default.

As for the broader issue, I also find myself baulking at the 'oh what will the [insert nationality here] think of us' mindset.
    Yeh it's the latter phenomenon I mean. I know Micky Dolenz made the point that insecurity re one's nationality isn't just an Irish thing, which is true, but I do think it's particularly prevalent in Irish society. I don't agree with excessive pride in one's nationality either. It's one of those things that shouldn't be the source of so much analysis, positive or negative, IMO.
    The English Defence League (EDL) have adopted the Loyalist slogan "No Surrender" as their own. They seem to be emulating Loyalism as a means of dealing with militant Islam in England, and to provide themselves with an aura of strength.
    Switching their hatred from the Jews to the Muslims must prove quite the challenge for the knuckleheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

What is a Paddy??

A field where rice is grown. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

shar01 wrote: »
    This reminds me - we were in Vienna in 2008 for the Euros. Again sitting outside a cafe, there was a group of German fans at the next table. When they heard our accents, one turned around and asked why Ireland had voted No to the Lisbon Treaty? "Because we could, democracy and all that" was the answer. He quickly turned back to his mates :D

Although in hindsight, democracy hasn't really worked out well for us...:(

Had to laugh at the idea of a German recognising Irish people by their accent...

I heard at a Celtic match go home the famine is over.Rangers supporters sang that.Although it was almost funny looking back as it did show some humour but they were vicious in the way they sang it.Not friendly banter..

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Switching their hatred from the Jews to the Muslims must prove quite the challenge for the knuckleheads.

The leader of the EDL is Stephen Lennon.

Most of the leaders are from Irish backgrounds as they started in Luton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Yaxley-Lennon

Anti-Irish sentiment is dying out in England. Most young people today in England do not know anything about Irish history. It's not taught in school at all and now the IRA are defunct there's no negative coverage of Ireland in the media at all.

Also factor in the amount of people who have Irish ancestry and the fact that there are other groups in the UK that are more "visible" to discriminate against these days.

I hear there is growing anti-Irish sentiment in Australia because of the way a lot of Irish lads behave out there.

The leader is Tommy Robinson.He created it with the backing of some Israeli backers..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Shenshen wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the idea of a German recognising Irish people by their accent...

Do you think it is implausible?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

The leader is Tommy Robinson.He created it with the backing of some Israeli backers..

Stephen Lennon is Tommy Robinson. Same person, different names :P

Stephen Lennon is Tommy Robinson. Same person, different names :P
    Dam him and his trickery..:DHe fooled me like the you tube video of him dressed as a Rabbi to evade the cops.Mossad must have trained him.But we are OK he is not after Irish for now it is Islam he is against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Meh. I'd say that kind of thing is becoming less prevalent. Look at UK TV ffs - loads of Irish people and they're very popular.

Off the top of my head:

Dara Ó Briain
    Graham Norton
    Eamon Holmes
    Ed Byrne
    Terry Wogan
    Patrick Keilty
    Laura Whitmore
    Liz Boninn
    Brian Dowling
    Chris O' Dowd
    Zig & Zag

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

crockholm wrote: »
    Do you think it is implausible?

Highly.

I've lived here 10 years now, and I've only recently started to be able to actually hear a difference between an Irish accent and, say, Welsh or Scottish.
    The best I can do when hearing any English speaker most of the time is hazard a guess which continent they hail from. And even there I'm wrong more often then right.

Put it this way, if you hear someone speaking French, could you tell immediately if they're from Normandy, Corsica, Switzerland or Canada?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Meh. I'd say that kind of thing is becoming less prevalent. Look at UK TV ffs - loads of Irish people and they're very popular.

Off the top of my head:

Dara Ó Briain
    Graham Norton
    Eamon Holmes
    Ed Byrne
    Terry Wogan
    Patrick Keilty
    Laura Whitmore
    Liz Boninn
    Brian Dowling
    Chris O' Dowd
    Zig & Zag