Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever experienced hibernophobia?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

A Mick, a Jock and a Pom.

...Whinging Pom if you don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Was stopped by airport police in airport near Canary Wharf, and questioned about the Omagh bombing. They delayed me enough to miss my flight. I had no money or anywhere to go, so I needed to contact the company who had brought me over for interviews to get a bed for the night. This was less than ideal.

There was no reason for them to stop me outside of the fact I was holding an Irish passport. I've zero connection to the IRA, and zero sympathy for them. In fact, several family members were in the British armed forces, and my grandparents on one side used to fly a Union Jack in their garden back before the Troubles started and it was no longer socially acceptable. A likely candidate to be involved with the Omagh Bombing I certainly am not.

I don't look dodgy, and never get randomly stopped by police. I don't have a criminal record. I was wearing a suit at the time. I was stopped only because of an Irish passport, and apparently passing through Boston on a J1 when you're 19 is enough to be suspected of fundraising for the IRA.

How did I respond to it? I was aware that they could arrest me for 48h without a warrant under the Prevention of Terrorism Act if they had a whim to do so - no other reason needed really. They repeatedly informed me that my flight wouldn't leave without me even after they kept me beyond the departure time. I responded to them openly and politely as it seemed the best way to handle it I the situation. Someone came over to the airport police and asked him if he'd told me that my flight had gone. I was very annoyed. The policeman dismissed me pretty much immediately. I spoke to Aer Lingus who gave me a flight the next day (without extra charge) and I contacted the company I had had interviews for to say I needed a bed for the night, which they provided for me in the same 4* hotel they'd put me up in the previous night.

Note that since this occurred the powers of British police to randomly **** with people have been increased. Since 2005 they can do things like seize your passport on a whim.

It didn't leave me with negative feelings towards British people. It probably has contributed to a semi-secret loathing I have of police and the judiciary in general. I perceive a culture of corruption, bullying and cowardice in both.

I always wonder about incidents like this: considering I actually triggered off a security alert by leaving an package behind at Gatwick in 2002, apologised, got soem stern looks but not even asked what flight I was taking, let alone searched or detained.

There's something you're not telling us: they don't just pick on random strangers carrying a set passport because they're bored.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I always wonder about incidents like this: considering I actually triggered off a security alert by leaving an package behind at Gatwick in 2002, apologised, got soem stern looks but not even asked what flight I was taking, let alone searched or detained.

There's something you're not telling us: they don't just pick on random strangers carrying a set passport because they're bored.
    No there's not. Your experiences have nothing to do with mine.

No there's not. Your experiences have nothing to do with mine.

Did you make a complaint about them?

Did you make a complaint about them?
    Nope. Never even occurred to me to do so at the time. I would if a similar thing happened today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I don't look dodgy, and never get randomly stopped by police. I don't have a criminal record. I was wearing a suit at the time. I was stopped only because of an Irish passport, and apparently passing through Boston on a J1 when you're 19 is enough to be suspected of fundraising for the IRA.

How did I respond to it? I was aware that they could arrest me for 48h without a warrant under the Prevention of Terrorism Act if they had a whim to do so - no other reason needed really.

For you to be pulled aside by UK police, where there are no exit controls, out of the hundreds of Irish people that went through City Airport that day, an airport that was owned by an Irishman, means your name popped up on a database somewhere or the girl at check-in thought you were suspicious in some way. In no way was it simply because you were Irish.

Interesting that you knew how long they could detain you under UK terrorism law, however.

The only time I had anything like 'hibernophobia' was going in to Harrods as a kid in 1990ish with my family. Of all the people entering the store at the same time the security guard approached us and asked my Dad to leave his backpack and my Mum her handbag in lockers in the basement. I was wearing an Ireland rugby jersey and it was quite clear that was the reason. We all found it quite amusing at the time.

Rascasse wrote: »
    For you to be pulled aside by UK police, where there are no exit controls, out of the hundreds of Irish people that went through City Airport that day, an airport that was owned by an Irishman, means your name popped up on a database somewhere or the girl at check-in thought you were suspicious in some way. In no way was it simply because you were Irish.

Interesting that you knew how long they could detain you under UK terrorism law, however.

The only time I had anything like 'hibernophobia' was going in to Harrods as a kid in 1990ish with my family. Of all the people entering the store at the same time the security guard approached us and asked my Dad to leave his backpack and my Mum her handbag in lockers in the basement. I was wearing an Ireland rugby jersey and it was quite clear that was the reason. We all found it quite amusing at the time.

I had that at the Victoria and Albert museum, but they make everyone do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭Bertie Woot

It didn't leave me with negative feelings towards British people. It probably has contributed to a semi-secret loathing I have of police and the judiciary in general. I perceive a culture of corruption, bullying and cowardice in both.

What experienced I've had with both the Police and solicitors (lawyers) in Northern Ireland informed me that a culture of corruption and bullying existed, and probably still does exist in both. The PSNI gratuitously assault people as standard practice, then collectively lie in court; and usually by accusing the person they assaulted of having assaulted them. With solicitors, the bullying and corruption is more covert and not as obvious, but I've had to write reports on a number of solicitors, whose clients accused them of bullying, intimidation and devious techniques of attempting to extract as much money from them as possible.

I know this is a bit off topic, and hope the moderators shall not see fit to impose a ban, the way they did for me talking about Irish history in a thread about a united Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

What experienced I've had with both the Police and solicitors (lawyers) in Northern Ireland informed me that a culture of corruption and bullying existed, and probably still does exist in both. The PSNI gratuitously assault people as standard practice, then collectively lie in court; and usually by accusing the person they assaulted of having assaulted them. With solicitors, the bullying and corruption is more covert and not as obvious, but I've had to write reports on a number of solicitors, whose clients accused them of bullying, intimidation and devious techniques of attempting to extract as much money from them as possible.

I know this is a bit off topic, and hope the moderators shall not see fit to impose a ban, the way they did for me talking about Irish history in a thread about a united Ireland.

Are you sure your living in Ulster(well your wee bit of it:))? I have family in the PSNI and the nicest folk you couldn't wish to meet not the type of lowlifes you describe, who are just trying to make the best of a bad job tbh.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Can these solicitors you write reports on not be struck off by the British law society? It's a very serious matter for a solicitor to behave in such a manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Yeah in the UK a few times.

We are not as innocent as we make out. We used to sail to the UK and devastate whole villages, taking any survivors home with us as slaves. St patrick was originally a slave, a british person who was a slave to us.

We gloss over that, the bad we did to the UK and highlight what England did to us, but for a long time they lived in absolute sheer terror of a marauding band of Irish or vikings laying waste to where they live.

That's why the anglos, eventually paid the saxons to come protect them. When Ireland converted to christianity the old barbaric way was lost, but it was too late the anglos had already mixed and bred with war hungry races, and unleashed their revenge on the whole world. The anglos never once set sail to Ireland to use us as slaves, and sure we never colonised the UK except in Scotland but that's due to the fact that we were too busy fighting with ourselves a lot of the time to bother or we would have tried. The scot tribe who originated in Ireland were probably just escaping and not trying to expand territory.

The anglos are an extinct people and we played a part in it. They are ango-saxon-norman now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

corktina wrote: »
    ...Whinging Pom if you don't mind

What's a good name for the sheep shaggers? Leek is the only one I know but that doesn't sound offensive enough. I wouldn't want them to feel left out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

We are not as innocent as we make out. We used to sail to the UK and devastate whole villages, taking any survivors home with us as slaves. St patrick was originally a slave, a british person who was a slave to us.

We gloss over that, the bad we did to the UK and highlight what England did to us, but for a long time they lived in absolute sheer terror of a marauding band of Irish or vikings laying waste to where they live.

We? I wasn't born then?:confused:

And everyone learns that St. Patrick was a slave captured by Irish pirates.. While I don't believe in living in the past, Irish oppression is much more recent and some peoples grandparents experienced it which may be where alot of hate (still unjustified) comes from. The ancient Irish were certainly not innocent, I don't think anyone here claimed that.

The Irish pillaged parts of Whales and Cornwall but never strayed to far inland (whether by choice or by being repelled) and there's strong evidence of intermarriage between Irish and Welsh chieftains. Some made war, some made love.
    That's why the anglos, eventually paid the saxons to come protect them. When Ireland converted to christianity the old barbaric way was lost, but it was too late the anglos had already mixed and bred with war hungry races, and unleashed their revenge on the whole world.

The Angles (not Anglos) were not the first people in Britain, the Bretons were. The Angles invaded Briton and they originally came from the Baltic shore of what is now Schleswig-Holstein in Germany. English is a Germanic language and is not native to Britain although it may have merged with the original British languages (a Celtic language probably similar to Cornish/Welsh was spoken as well as Latin from the Roman conquest).

If the Angles were war hungry (who wasn't back then?) it's not the Gaels fault. It's no ones fault.
    The anglos never once set sail to Ireland to use us as slaves, and sure we never colonised the UK except in Scotland but that's due to the fact that we were too busy fighting with ourselves a lot of the time to bother or we would have tried. The scot tribe who originated in Ireland were probably just escaping and not trying to expand territory.

The Scot tribe were more than likely trying to expand their territory but they mixed with the various Pictish tribes as well as made war with them. There was no concept of nationality or statehood and tribes allied themselves with who ever suited them.

Scotland tried to liberate Ireland from Anglo-Norman rule in the 1300s with a joint Gaelic invasion "liberation" of Britain from the Anglo-Saxon-Normans which many Irish chieftains dismissed as not in their interest and considered the Scots to be trouble makers. Scotland was the first unified nation on these islands and therefore had a stronger sense of identity. Many Irish chieftains were already intermarrying with the Normans for political survival and had adjusted to the situation.

We could've invaded, we just didn't. The majority of Irish have usually preferred the status quo for better or worse throughout history. Read a history book cos your facts are very inaccurate.:confused:
    The anglos are an extinct people and we played a part in it. They are ango-saxon-norman now.
    :rolleyes:
    People don't become extinct, they mix. Most people on these islands are a mix of Basque, Celtic ( Breton, Gael, Welsh, Pict, Cumbric, Cornish, Galician) Anglo-Saxon (ie English), Viking, Norman and many more to varying degrees.

The genetics of the Bretons are still there and the Angles are part of that now, just as the Normans and Vikings are part of us. People moved around all the time, the integrate rather than go extinct. We're adaptable like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

That's why the anglos, eventually paid the saxons to come protect them. When Ireland converted to christianity the old barbaric way was lost, but it was too late the anglos had already mixed and bred with war hungry races, and unleashed their revenge on the whole world. The anglos never once set sail to Ireland to use us as slaves, and sure we never colonised the UK except in Scotland but that's due to the fact that we were too busy fighting with ourselves a lot of the time to bother or we would have tried. The scot tribe who originated in Ireland were probably just escaping and not trying to expand territory.

If the Fatted Calf formed your political history ....... then it deserved to die!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Quick, to the Youtube comments section!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Was stopped by airport police in airport near Canary Wharf, and questioned about the Omagh bombing. They delayed me enough to miss my flight. I had no money or anywhere to go, so I needed to contact the company who had brought me over for interviews to get a bed for the night. This was less than ideal.

The airport police stopped you in Canary Wharf?????

If you were stopped in the airport by police it was because you were flagged as a threat on entering the UK. Where were you taken for questioning?

Never experienced or witnessed hibernophobia myself, outside the bounds of banter.

Madam wrote: »
    Are you sure your living in Ulster(well your wee bit of it:))? I have family in the PSNI and the nicest folk you couldn't wish to meet not the type of lowlifes you describe, who are just trying to make the best of a bad job tbh.:mad:

I live in the six counties of Ulster known as NI, and I haven't had experience of all PSNI officers, so it would be wrong to generalise. But my own personal experiences of the PSNI coupled with other peoples would suggest that brutality and corruption are endemic to the PSNI. Of course there must be some good officers, who no doubt are repulsed by the less than honest and lawful behaviour of their fellow officers, but then you'll find corruption in Police Forces throughout the UK. Take what happened at Hillsborough, where the Police lied through their teeth and falsely blamed 96 innocent football supporters for their own deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Was stopped by airport police in airport near Canary Wharf, and questioned about the Omagh bombing.

Did you come from a troublesome estate or something? I'm not saying what they did was right but something must have spooked them... odd?:confused:

My name didn't pop up in any database. I'm from a good area in south Dublin. My family's protestant and members of it were senior figures in the British armed forces. I was in Canary Wharf because I was being interviewed by a very well-known and prestigious firm. There's zilch in my background that would suggest any connection with terrorism or any sort of related activity - and plenty to suggest I'd have nothing to do with it at all. Not a chance I was in any databases. They didn't know who I was when they stopped me. They just saw the Irish passport in my hand and decided to have a go at me.

If you think this sort of policeman wouldn't detain someone without good cause, then you are blissfully unaware of the type of policeman that is far too common both in the UK and Ireland.. and I'm sure elsewhere as well. The prevention of terrorism act allows them to act the bollocks if they want and not be held accountable for it. In Ireland they have power of arrest if they tell someone to move on and the person doesn't. I'm sure in theory that's all very well but the result is just facilitating bullies really. I know a guy who was arrested and charged when he complained to a guard about being punched by a man within sight. The guard told him to move on; he insisted they spoke to the man who'd assaulted him. They arrested the victim instead. Cowards, liars and bullies like I said.
    COYW wrote: »
    The airport police stopped you in Canary Wharf?????

If you were stopped in the airport by police it was because you were flagged as a threat on entering the UK. Where were you taken for questioning?

I wasn't flagged as any threat. They had no idea who I was. I was about to get onto an airplane. If there was something about me personally I would have been stopped when I showed my ID - not randomly when I was getting on the plane.

My name didn't pop up in any database. I'm from a good area in south Dublin. My family's protestant and members of it were senior figures in the British armed forces. I was in Canary Wharf because I was being interviewed by a very well-known and prestigious firm. There's zilch in my background that would suggest any connection with terrorism or any sort of related activity - and plenty to suggest I'd have nothing to do with it at all. Not a chance I was in any databases. They didn't know who I was when they stopped me. They just saw the Irish passport in my hand and decided to have a go at me.
    This is estremly dubious for the various reasons expressed by different posters. Mght even have been a case of mistaken identiy, but either they aacted on something else, or you're not elling us the whole story.

The did not sit down and think, "hey - he's got an Irish passport, so he must have had something to do with the Omagh bombing. Stop him." If they did, there'd be hundreds more cases like yours and someone would have done public. Or at least complained.
    If you think this sort of policeman wouldn't detain someone without good cause, then you are blissfully unaware of the type of policeman that is far too common both in the UK and Ireland.....

My question is not why they didn't detain "just someone" with an Irish passport, my question is why they didn't detain "everyone" with an Irish passport. You were, after all, getting on a flight bound for Ireland, were you not? Safe bet that a high percentage of people getting on the same flight were carrying Irish passports.

The rest of your post is not relevant: it's more anti-police than hibernophobia.

• Advertisement

This is estremly dubious for the various reasons expressed by different posters. Mght even have been a case of mistaken identiy, but either they aacted on something else, or you're not elling us the whole story.

The did not sit down and think, "hey - he's got an Irish passport, so he must have had something to do with the Omagh bombing. Stop him." If they did, there'd be hundreds more cases like yours and someone would have done public. Or at least complained.

My question is not why they didn't detain "just someone" with an Irish passport, my question is why they didn't detain "everyone" with an Irish passport. You were, after all, getting on a flight bound for Ireland, were you not? Safe bet that a high percentage of people getting on the same flight were carrying Irish passports.

The rest of your post is not relevant: it's more anti-police than hibernophobia.
    If it was mistaken identity why would they keep talking to me after seeing my passport with my name on it.
    I was running late for the plane. I was relieved to reach it on time. I was rushing a bit to do so. I had my passport in my hand and I saw them look at it before they stopped me. Perhaps I looked worried because I was late.

I wish you would quit suggesting there's something I'm not telling you. That's the attitude that stops people complaining about things like this in the first place. "You were harassed by policemen huh? Well you must be guilty of something then."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I wasn't flagged as any threat. They had no idea who I was. I was about to get onto an airplane. If there was something about me personally I would have been stopped when I showed my ID - not randomly when I was getting on the plane.

How do you know whether you were flagged as a threat or not? If the police approached and questioned you, as you boarded the plane, they were looking for you.

It could have been done in error. My friend has the same surname as a very prominent criminal in Dublin and got held for 90 mins on entering the USA. Every bit of his luggage was unpacked and he got questioned to the hilts. Happened the second time he went there but never again.

If it was mistaken identity why would they keep talking to me after seeing my passport with my name on it.
    I was running late for the plane. I was relieved to reach it on time. I was rushing a bit to do so. I had my passport in my hand and I saw them look at it before they stopped me. Perhaps I looked worried because I was late.

I wish you would quit suggesting there's something I'm not telling you. That's the attitude that stops people complaining about things like this in the first place. "You were harassed by policemen huh? Well you must be guilty of something then."

Hey - I'm just putting forward a theory. Why, do you think, they did not stop anyone else with an irish passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

OP you've referred to a prejudice as a phobia, which is incorrect.

****ing thick paddies can't get anything right.

OP you've referred to a prejudice as a phobia, which is incorrect.

****ing thick paddies can't get anything right.

Hibernophobia: may refer to or include persecution, discrimination, hatred or fear of the Irish as an ethnic or national group, whether directed against Ireland in general or against Irish immigrants and their descendants in the Irish diaspora.

People discriminate and persecute on the basis of prejudice and out of fear.

Please do not refer to me or anyone else as "****ing thick paddies" again. If you do I shall hunt you down and end you and your entire extended family by force feeding you all potatoes until your stomach's burst.

Thanks.

Hey - I'm just putting forward a theory. Why, do you think, they did not stop anyone else with an irish passport?
    Don't know if they stopped anyone else. Most passengers were already on the plane. Doubt he did though. The questions were generic and silly, designed to intimidate rather than learn. What do you know about the Real IRA? What do you know about the Omagh bombing? Why were you in America? How long did you spend in Boston? Just bull**** really, looking for an excuse to **** me over more than he already was.

Why me? He was short, pudgy, old and bald. I was tall, wide, young and good-looking. I recall I'd been bought dinner by a very attractive woman the previous night, who attached herself to my side while we were being shown around the company the day of the flight. He was just a petty little wanker who wanted to feel better about himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I blame Heart of Midlothian F.C myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Why me? He was short, pudgy, old and bald. I was tall, wide, young and good-looking. I recall I'd been bought dinner by a very attractive woman the previous night, who attached herself to my side while we were being shown around the company the day of the flight. He was just a petty little wanker who wanted to feel better about himself.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

What's a good name for the sheep shaggers? Leek is the only one I know but that doesn't sound offensive enough. I wouldn't want them to feel left out. :pac:

We are called 'Taffs' after the river that runs through Cardiff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

But my own personal experiences of the PSNI coupled with other peoples would suggest that brutality and corruption are endemic to the PSNI.

I honestly tought the PSNI were held in high regard nowadays, even by Sinn Fein and the southern Government?
    so maybe you're talking about negative Nationalist/Republican perceptions of the former RUC (now disbanded).

Curious, please explain your PSNI brutality & corruption theory :cool:

Advertisement