Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Conamara 2013

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 2Cando

Initially, I thought it was going to be a very long day given the cold and wet, a bit like the Giro! After 10 mins I was completely soaked through, but nothing could be done except cycling on! Tied not to stop for too long at Carna so I wouldn't seize up, when I was leaving I saw the queue starting to from out the door, didn't envy the poor buggars! From Carna to Maam, I got into a good group and we were cruising at around 40km with good cohesion in the group. I decided not to stop for food at Maam, just take a piss and keep going, unfortunetly, this meant leaving the good group behind but I was feeling good and decided to push on by myself. There were not many people at all at Maam so I think we were pretty far ahead of the main bunch. Till Kylemore I felt really good cruising at around 36km by myself, I thought I'd maybe catch a group up but I only ever passed lone riders and a group never caught me. At Kylemore, again I decided to just take a piss and have some of my own gels to keep me going. From Kylemore to Cliften, I averaged around 30km and again didn't come across any groups, just passed people from the 80km route. Think I may have been in the top 20 to finish the 140km route as there were barely any bikes around when I finished. I had an average of 30.4km in a time of 4:34 mins. Pretty happy with it given the last 50km I wasn't in a group! Overall, I really enjoyed the event, felt like very epic racing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Met Bernard Hinault at the start - He loved my old bike and gear. He got the rest of the French crew to take pics of me him and the bike... !

He kept saying Ahh "le vintage" and "superb"

Met an Englishman taking photos so had to pose for that as well ! Made me feel like a proper star. Everyone was complimenting both my gear and bike.

No wet gear so headed out bare arms and legs but soon heated up. Met with a nice crew from Westport CC (Thanks Noreen !) and they looked after me well ! Pushed it hard down the Maam decent - No glasses half blind 50 odd mph and wet... Brave and silly but some buzz..

Vitus started to complain in 2 of the gears. freewheel took to making noise. Only a new one as well....

All in all deffo no complaints - Very well marshalled and great foodstops ! The homemade cake was superb. Organisers done a superb job and cant wait for next year.. Must go and get the Vitus dried off and serviced before next weekends Croi cycle...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed the day, lovely route, great surfaces in the main too. Sign on at the Skoda Garage on the Friday evening was very handy. I didn't stop at the first food stop but I was very impressed by the hospitality at the 90km food stop after Maam, great selection of stuff. Great day on the bike.

Very few cohesive groups on the road alright, everyone was very fragmented. I suppose road spray may have had something to do with it.

Was in a front group of about 50 cyclists and surprised at how many went in for the first food stop in Carna. Realise many may need it but would have thought that with the miserable weather and only 50km or so down that more than 7 of us would have pushed through. After that it felt like a small club spin which was not quite what I'd expected to be honest. Perhaps it was due to the fact that marshalls were ushering cyclist in so it was only those determined not to stop who went past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Was in a front group of about 50 cyclists and surprised at how many went in for the first food stop in Carna.
    Some people, like me needed to stop for a wee rather than anything else. And that's without drinking a drop of water through the whole route. Must be something wrong with me.
    Or was it because of the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Are all the photos up from this years event, are are there more to go up? A fella on a motorbike took a few photos and I'm fairly sure I made it into one or two anyway. Been looking at be-celt website, along with Skoda and TdC facebook pages

Thanks

Advertisement